Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8
Re: OT: Greta Van Fleet
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 15, 2018 21:46

keefriff99
New video for When the Curtain Falls:

[www.youtube.com]

His voice on this song is WAY TOO screechy...there's a fine line to aping Robert Plant, and he goes over the line.

I can't knock these guys for their success...they've got chops, and anyone bringing rock'n'roll to the masses is a good thing, but I feel like they're just trying too hard.

Hmmm...the tune itself is average at best retro rock, but those vocals are unlistenable.
Posers....thumbs down

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-15 21:49 by Hairball.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: August 16, 2018 02:25

I have to say I`m a bit impressed. Talk of pulling out all the stops. You can hear it`s not Led Zeppelin by the singer`s twists and turns, but regrettably that`s not a compliment.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: August 16, 2018 07:29

If you like this band you know you have awful taste. They're terrible. I thought they were some kind of piss-take Zep tribute group when I first heard them.

Great name for a band though........

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: August 16, 2018 07:46

After watching their performance on a U.S chat show called Jimmy Fallon. I'll go further. They are the worst band I have heard for a long time. The singer is hilarious.

However, we live in a time where Ed Sheeran (Great guy) can sell stadiums out night after night, so who knows, Greta might be huge......

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: August 16, 2018 08:22

They are good and do seem to appeal to fans of classic rock. Personally I’ve
had several people, whom follow music closely and are also from the classic rock generation, recommend them. I have one of their CDs. In my opinion they are worth
a listen - not sure where they will go from here though...

Date: September 19, 2018 12:55

ANTHEM OF THE PEACEFUL ARMY:

Their new, proper album. Release date October 19. The two tracks released so far "passed the audition", IMO. Here`s the new track:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-21 19:36 by noughties.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 19, 2018 15:07

Not unpleasant to listen to but...a tad too derivative, no ? Reminds me of Kingdom Come in the mid-80s.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-19 15:21 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 19, 2018 15:50

Boy, that voice is terrible (IMNSHO).

Date: September 19, 2018 17:02

gotdablouse
Not unpleasant to listen to but...a tad too derivative, no ? Reminds me of Kingdom Come in the mid-80s.

Maybe it`s hard not to be derivative these days. What saves the song IMO is the singer`s phrasing during the last part of the song. Besides, I like the fact that the singer and the lead guitarist seem to have equel parts in driving the song forward, and, may I say; just like Led Zeppelin.

Date: September 20, 2018 03:32

Kick the singer and they'll soar

Date: September 21, 2018 12:19

I`m definetely not a fan of whatever generic derivative "hard rock" that has been made during all the years since the 70s. The posers, the screamers, whatever they call themselves, be it Kingdom Come, Guns and Roses, Metallica, AC/DC, Scorpions or whatever wannabes there is. But this band, this is different. The singer sounds like Robert Plant, and all for the good of it. The guitarist sounds almost like Jimmy Page, and the drummer does all he should do, yeah, you know who I`m thinking of.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 21, 2018 23:40

They remind me of Wolfmother : a retro 1970's exagerated pose and a singer who has a horrible whiny voice...
[www.youtube.com]

Mmmm... me no likey!

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 22, 2018 08:50

Did you ever notice all these little suckjob Zep rip-off bands have the worst names,Kingdom Come,Wolfmother,Greta van fleet.

Lets put a stake in the heart of this online ad campaign ala Dane Cook of trying to hype these losers into a career and let this derivative cesspool die it’s inevitable death already ok ?

A friend of mine was at the Tribute band ZOfO’s show the other night and was sending me videos of it for a laugh,they had the 75 tour outfits on and actually did a pretty decent Wanton Song,at least they know they’re a cover band.

Date: September 22, 2018 18:31

lem motlow
they had the 75 tour outfits on

Was the drummer dressed like one of the Droogs from the film "A Clockwork Orange"?
Bonzo wore that outfit in 75...

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 22, 2018 18:59

dcba
They remind me of Wolfmother : a retro 1970's exagerated pose and a singer who has a horrible whiny voice...
[www.youtube.com]

Mmmm... me no likey!
Mike Patton hates Wolfmother.

[www.youtube.com]

LOL

Date: September 22, 2018 19:10

keefriff99
dcba
[www.youtube.com]

Mmmm... me no likey!
Mike Patton hates Wolfmother.

[www.youtube.com]

LOL

Haha..."Can I get and amen"? smiling smiley

Date: September 22, 2018 19:49

The first Wolfmother album was great. More Sabbath than Zep-sounding, though.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: September 22, 2018 22:03

New single Lover, Leaver:

[www.youtube.com]

Hearing riffs from Nobody's Fault But Mine and Out on the Tiles in there.

Date: September 22, 2018 22:59

Yeah, I`ve already heard it. Now, isnt THIS great? "Out on the Tiles" and "Immigrant Song", I was planning to say.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: September 22, 2018 23:47

Sucks !

Date: September 23, 2018 00:16

I get it! The singer's Bobcat Goldthwait's hidden son :
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 23, 2018 02:36

As good as Greta Van Fleet sounds ... I've always heard them play only hard & heavy rock. Led Zeppelin, on the other hand, had a multi-layered style that spanned rock, metal, folk, blues, moroccan, etc.

And as good as the singer is ... I haven't heard him vary his style too much from the high, wailing stuff. Unlike Plant who took his voice through a much wider range of range and style.

Date: September 23, 2018 02:40

Mike Myers (Wanyne`s World) would have loved this. I haven`t seen the film, and I probably don`t like what he likes.

Date: September 23, 2018 04:47

strat72
If you like this band you know you have awful taste. They're terrible. I thought they were some kind of piss-take Zep tribute group when I first heard them.

Listened to part of that new single posted above, and it's so damn derivative yet without the skills of the band they're trying to emulate which makes it all come across as a mockery vs. something genuine and sincere.
If I don't know better, I'd think they were some kind of a imaginary spoof band for an upcoming comedy movie about bad rock and roll cliches. I know that's been done with Spinal Tap, but at least they didn't sound like just one band - they sounded like the entire history of rock and roll rolled into one. winking smiley Maybe they're more like The Rutles...focusing on one band...Zeppelin in this case...

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: September 23, 2018 05:01

Hairball
strat72

Listened to part of that new single posted above, and it's so damn derivative yet without the skills of the band they're trying to emulate which makes it all come across as a mockery vs. something genuine and sincere.
If I don't know better, I'd think they were some kind of a imaginary spoof band for an upcoming comedy movie about bad rock and roll cliches. I know that's been done with Spinal Tap, but at least they didn't sound like just one band - they sounded like the entire history of rock and roll rolled into one. winking smiley Maybe they're more like The Rutles...focusing on one band...Zeppelin in this case...

I kinda think like that about Zeppelin almost every album I listen to...
Greta Van Sheet , nope....

What genuinely great rock n roll bands have come out in the last few years. THe Libertines spring to mind but that’s it for me.
(Though I have weird taste hence my disdain for Zeppelin)

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 23, 2018 08:58

noughties
I`m definetely not a fan of whatever generic derivative "hard rock" that has been made during all the years since the 70s. The posers, the screamers, whatever they call themselves, be it Kingdom Come, Guns and Roses, Metallica, AC/DC, Scorpions or whatever wannabes there is. But this band, this is different. The singer sounds like Robert Plant, and all for the good of it. The guitarist sounds almost like Jimmy Page, and the drummer does all he should do, yeah, you know who I`m thinking of.

Possibly the funniest most sarcastic posts of the year! Excellent!

Date: September 23, 2018 10:41

schillid
As good as Greta Van Fleet sounds ... I've always heard them play only hard & heavy rock. Led Zeppelin, on the other hand, had a multi-layered style that spanned rock, metal, folk, blues, moroccan, etc.

And as good as the singer is ... I haven't heard him vary his style too much from the high, wailing stuff. Unlike Plant who took his voice through a much wider range of range and style.

Didn't they do that Sam Cooke-tune on their debut EP?

Date: September 23, 2018 14:46

strat72

Imhot they're part of a larger trend : selling the "good old days" to people who were too young to live them. GVF appeals to the 13-20 yo crowd who fantasizes about the "good old" 70's.

Same goes for Tarantino movies. You're too young to have lived the 70's Grindhouse phenomenon? Well you have QT's "Death Proof". You're too young to have lived the 70's "parodic western" phenomenon? You have TWO Tarantino films to enjoy!
Qt next film? A rip-off of these nihilistic "noir" from the early 70's à la "Dirty Harry". QT is a clever businessman. The GVF dudes are too.

It's all about the buck, about selling nostalgia to the 13-20yo population, ppl who cough out their buck easily.

Date: September 23, 2018 15:40

Please - IMO it is an embarrassment that on the iconic Stones site of the Net we have a thread on this group that stays alive.

Date: September 23, 2018 16:12

-Hmm, there can be a thin line between good and bad in music...

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2074
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home