Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8
OT: Greta Van Fleet
Posted by: Hansman ()
Date: December 11, 2017 08:18

The other day I discovered this VERY young band. I have never heard of them before. They are obviously heavily influenced by... well, listen to it and you'll find out yourself after a few seconds.

Is rock really dead as so many people and so called 'rock critcs' say, or is a band like 'Greta Van Fleet' the future of rock? What do you think?

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-11 08:26 by Hansman.

Re: OT: Greta Van Fleet
Posted by: Strike ()
Date: December 11, 2017 08:32

That has nothing to do with rock´n roll or even real music, this is a bunch of cover boys doing clever produced cover music.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 11, 2017 09:18

There is already an OT post about GVF

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: December 11, 2017 13:20

DGA35

thumbs up

Date: December 11, 2017 15:11

There's definitely something happening here, it's exciting! I'm not sure I can remember the last time when I heard a support band get this sort of reception:

[www.youtube.com]

I just listened to their EP and there is not one song on it I don't like. Can't believe that the oldest guys in this band are 21 years old. This is a very special band in my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-11 15:11 by Hansman.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 11, 2017 15:25

They're obviously ver y influenced by LZep.

It would be great if they had the balls to rip LZ songs and credit them as "written by Greta Van Fleet". I wonder how Page would react... >grinning smiley<
The pot calling the kettle, would he dare?

Date: December 11, 2017 15:29

dcba
They're obviously ver y influenced by LZep.

It would be great if they had the balls to rip LZ songs and credit them as "written by Greta Van Fleet". I wonder how Page would react... >grinning smiley<
The pot calling the kettle, would he dare?

That's what Led Zep already did. Half of their catalog are rip off's from other artists and bands and they just credited them as Page/Plant songs.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: December 11, 2017 15:34

"Highway Tune" reminds me of "Communication Breakdown".

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 11, 2017 17:41

Hansman

That's what Led Zep already did. Half of their catalog are rip off's from other artists and bands and they just credited them as Page/Plant songs.

Yeah that's what I was meaning... In our "anything's do-able" post-modern times I imagined GVF would have the balls to rip LZ off as a revenge for the countless artists LZ ripped off in the 60's.
Imagine Page stating : "these guys steal our songs..." whixh you stole from others, dummy! grinning smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 11, 2017 18:14

DGA35

And there is also already a post where one can whine about LZ. smoking smiley

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 12, 2017 00:05

Given that the singer has the voice he does, I can't think of a better way for him to use it than doing the music they are doing...

....If you don't mind the Zep comparison, check out their version of "Evil" on YouTube.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: December 12, 2017 05:36

I think the singer is a girl no? Very Zeppelin-esque.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: April 3, 2018 20:42

I went to the Brussels show (27 March) and the Paris show (28 March). Two clubs. They were amazing. I had (hate) to say: I had much more fun than the Stones shows in Paris.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: April 3, 2018 20:55

Greta is Great !!

Saw them in Melkweg ,Amsterdam, 2 weeks ago . Now they are coming back for a gig in Paradiso ,June 13th .

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 3, 2018 20:58

Sounds like Led Z or Black Crows. I'm sure they're good if you're into that kind of music. Too retro for my taste though (and I can't stand the singer screaming).
Enjoy if this is your cup of tea but it has nothing to do with the future of music. More the past, rather.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-03 21:02 by Stoneage.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 3, 2018 21:05

I'm a bit pi$$ed. I've been waiting to see them. They are playing a very small venue in my city for 2 nights. I never received the announcement and the shows sold out instantly. StubHub tickets start at about 4 times face value....other cities don't have this issue (that's what I get for living in LaLa land).

Hopefully within 48 hours of the shows, the prices will drop. If I wasn't going to Europe to see a few Stones shows, I would probably go, even paying inflated prices....we'll see what happens.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: April 3, 2018 23:23

They are very young but they seem to have the right influences. We will have to wait for their first records. The 2 EPs are great.

Date: April 4, 2018 11:21

Strike
That has nothing to do with rock´n roll or even real music, this is a bunch of cover boys doing clever produced cover music.

Totally agree. The brothers on guitars, and drummer are decent. They know what is what. But the singer - it's not a musical thing. He...he just has got it all wrong.[youtu.be] Check that around 12:45

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-04 11:22 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: April 4, 2018 11:26

But what should he do, when he's born with that voice...

Date: April 4, 2018 11:51

DandelionPowderman

Haha..what do you mean ugly? That's my face!

But no; that is not his voice. It's a put on when he decides to start what he thinks is 'singing'. look at all footage by them. There is not one ounce of musicality in his voicings. And believe me: this is not some old fashioned traditionalist speaking here, who can not tolerate anything after 1972. I will say there is plenty of music and art in hard core rap, or grindcore death metal. But this thing this annoying kid does is playing dress up and make believe.
Ask him just one question, just ONE! about Howlin Wolf. In an interview - just go what do you think of Howlin Wolf? And see what he says.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: April 4, 2018 11:53

I like his voice on the record, even if I thought the first songs were too LedZeppish

The radio performance is bad I have to admit.
Given the success they have, they should hire a vocal coach to improve his performance. There's no shame in doing so.

Date: April 4, 2018 16:42

Hear R.Plant about it...
[youtu.be]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 4, 2018 16:44

Ricky
They are very young but they seem to have the right influences. We will have to wait for their first records. The 2 EPs are great.
I agree.

Overall I agree with most that you just have to wait. I've seen too many bands in the last 20 years that have this kind of sound and influence and it fizzles out after a record or they change it completely because its not "commercially successful" enough. I do think there's something off about these guys compared others. I'm not sure what cause they seem sincere. But this one has felt more like an angle than others. I think getting pegged as the next Zeppelin is always dangerous and the fact that he sounds so much like Plant is even worse cause then it doesn't even sound original, it just sounds like second rate Zeppelin. The whole thing is also ONLY about the voice. Thats where the Zep comparisons come from, thats what every bit of press has sprung from. So it all seems troubling and short lived but I hope I'm wrong.

I've experienced this far too much with bands like Vintage Trouble and others and ultimately they go nowhere. They've gotten a ton of press really early with almost nothing to their name to actually show for it. I hope that doesn't go to their head and their album is actually good as opposed to already figuring they can put out anything that sounds like Zeppelin and it will work. Vintage Trouble, Jet, Kings Of Leon, Silvertide. Just a small list of bands that either changed their sound, broke up quickly, or didn't have the consistency after an album. I hope Greta doesn't become the same but unfortunately since they broke on the scene they feel more poised for the others because of the insane early hype.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 4, 2018 16:48

Hansman
Is rock really dead as so many people and so called 'rock critcs' say, or is a band like 'Greta Van Fleet' the future of rock? What do you think?

This is the core question. Not the singer's voice. My answer is simply: No, this is not the future of rock. It's a reminiscence of the past. Nothing wrong with that though. Enjoy, if you like it.

Date: April 4, 2018 16:57

Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman

Haha..what do you mean ugly? That's my face!

But no; that is not his voice. It's a put on when he decides to start what he thinks is 'singing'. look at all footage by them. There is not one ounce of musicality in his voicings. And believe me: this is not some old fashioned traditionalist speaking here, who can not tolerate anything after 1972. I will say there is plenty of music and art in hard core rap, or grindcore death metal. But this thing this annoying kid does is playing dress up and make believe.
Ask him just one question, just ONE! about Howlin Wolf. In an interview - just go what do you think of Howlin Wolf? And see what he says.

Yeah, I know what you mean, but what I hinted at was that it must be hard not going that route - when you actually can sound like Plant (I'm talking aout the tone of his voice, not his musicality or "original" phrasing) smiling smiley

Date: April 4, 2018 17:01

They are skilled composers. Very catchy songs.

Posted by: Iggyrichards ()
Date: April 4, 2018 22:02

Like what this band is doing. The kids wear their influences on their sleeves. They are playing good, fun rock music and getting attention for it. There may be better younger bands out there at the moment but if GVF can draw attention and get people rocking again I am all for it.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 5, 2018 00:56

....it's just rock ... it doesn't really sway

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 5, 2018 01:22

I don't mind them, but they're a bit of a gimmick.
If anything, maybe they can inspire other youngsters to ROCK, and from there maybe the current trend in popular music will take a turn for the better.
But the next thing you know, there might be a young new heavy rock band and the singer sounds just like Ozzy! Could end up with a bunch of mini-me retro soundalike rock bands....

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: April 5, 2018 02:08

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1839
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home