Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Jimi Hendrix -" Both Sides of the Sky” on March 9, 2018
Date: February 18, 2018 02:12

doitywoik
I don't believe there are any real new, unreleased Hednrix songs on the album. Rather alternative or working versions, covers played for fun or (excerpts from) jams. The "new" Mannish Boy sounds OK but. let's be honest, it does not really shake the earth. I can't listen to Train because of Geo-IP-blocking but I have a studio version somewhere, just wondering if it's the same.

Very much to his legal successors' benefit, Jimi was fond of endless overdubs and alternative versions, and did a lot of jamming and let the tape roll all the time. Basically, take any hour of jamming, slice it up evenly into tracks and hey presto! here's your new Jimi Hendrix album.

so you've already heard "$20 fine" then with Hendrix and stills?

Posted by: Yazid Manou ()
Date: February 18, 2018 02:17

keefriffhard4life

I would be very very surprised if doitywoik heard if before or even knew about it !

YM

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 18, 2018 03:01

doitywoik
I don't believe there are any real new, unreleased Hednrix songs on the album. Rather alternative or working versions, covers played for fun or (excerpts from) jams. The "new" Mannish Boy sounds OK but. let's be honest, it does not really shake the earth. I can't listen to Train because of Geo-IP-blocking but I have a studio version somewhere, just wondering if it's the same.

Very much to his legal successors' benefit, Jimi was fond of endless overdubs and alternative versions, and did a lot of jamming and let the tape roll all the time. Basically, take any hour of jamming, slice it up evenly into tracks and hey presto! here's your new Jimi Hendrix album.

As for the new Hear My Train A Comin', unless you have a very rare bootleg (which I don't think one even exists), doubtful you've heard this version. This is a recording just prior to Noel Redding leaving the band - the last hurrah for the original Experience. The one you might be referring to has Billy Cox on bass and Mitch Mitchell on drums, and was on one of the many various boxsets - don't recall which one as there's been many and to be honest I've lost track of it all. All I know is this is truly the best of any studio version I've heard - the guitar playing is exceptional unlike past version (s) that have been released.

As for the "jamming and let the tape roll all the time, slice it up evenly into tracks and hey presto! here's your new Jimi Hendrix album", this album is not that.
But even if it was, so what? The more the merrier!!! While not all that has been released has been worthy or memorable, most newly released Hendrix is better than no Hendrix!!!
Imagine if someday we get to hear some oddball Stones recordings, alternate takes, jam sessions, overdubbings, etc. While not all of it would be great, people would be rejoicing over it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-18 03:02 by Hairball.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: February 19, 2018 02:49

keefriffhard4life

Perhaps the Stills/Hendrix jam from "Black Gold"? (Or some excerpt thereof?). BG also has Sending My Love To Linda and a couple of (out)takes of Mannish Boy. I have BG somewhere on some hard disc but to be honest, never made it to listen to it in its entirety (or so I believe, rather just skimming through the tracks), so no idea whether that version of Mannish Boy is on there, too. Judging from the titles and despriptions, a good deal of the tracks might also be found on the "Studio 70" boot (15 CDs), or others, the Jimi Hendrix & Stephen Stills stuff is also circulated on boots. Once Both Sides is out - and if I have enough time - I might compare.

Generally it seems that as far as Jimi's studio activities are concerned, the bootleggers have been far more active than Experience Hendrix, there are tons of stuff out there (and for a long time already), so there's a good chance that "newly discovered tapes" are in fact in circulation since the 2000s.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: February 19, 2018 09:46

doitywoik
keefriffhard4life

Perhaps the Stills/Hendrix jam from "Black Gold"? (Or some excerpt thereof?). BG also has Sending My Love To Linda and a couple of (out)takes of Mannish Boy. I have BG somewhere on some hard disc but to be honest, never made it to listen to it in its entirety (or so I believe, rather just skimming through the tracks), so no idea whether that version of Mannish Boy is on there, too. Judging from the titles and despriptions, a good deal of the tracks might also be found on the "Studio 70" boot (15 CDs), or others, the Jimi Hendrix & Stephen Stills stuff is also circulated on boots. Once Both Sides is out - and if I have enough time - I might compare.

Generally it seems that as far as Jimi's studio activities are concerned, the bootleggers have been far more active than Experience Hendrix, there are tons of stuff out there (and for a long time already), so there's a good chance that "newly discovered tapes" are in fact in circulation since the 2000s.

The following tracks/versions are not circulating or available on bootlegs:

Lover Man (Band of Gypsys version)
Stepping Stone (early take)
$20 Fine (Stills vocals/organ, Jimi guitars)
(Sweet) Angel (early instrumental w/vibraphone)

The rest are (slightly) alternate versions/mixes.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 19, 2018 10:26

RECORD COLLECTOR 476 -- February 2018

ROCKMAN

Date: February 19, 2018 11:10

rootsman

Thank you rootsman ! You're correct. I may also add this new version of "Hear My Train A Comin'".

YM

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: February 19, 2018 12:19

Yazid Manou
rootsman

Thank you rootsman ! You're correct. I may also add this new version of "Hear My Train A Comin'".

YM

Absolutely!
But it is circulating/available on Youtube, though... smileys with beer
[www.youtube.com]

Date: February 19, 2018 15:28

Any good version of Hear My Train is highly welcome! smiling smiley

For many Hendrix fans it's irrelevant anyway if something is already known from a boot because they don't have the boots.

Date: February 19, 2018 17:04

doitywoik
keefriffhard4life

isn't black gold hendrix all acoustic and no one else? how would stills be on it? i have never heard that the real black gold is even circulating in bootlegs

Date: February 19, 2018 18:01

keefriffhard4life

isn't black gold hendrix all acoustic and no one else? how would stills be on it?

I have never heard Stills was involved in the Black Gold tapes anyway !

YM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-19 18:02 by Yazid Manou.

Date: February 19, 2018 18:54

Yazid Manou
keefriffhard4life

isn't black gold hendrix all acoustic and no one else? how would stills be on it?

I have never heard Stills was involved in the Black Gold tapes anyway !

YM

me either

Date: February 20, 2018 04:43

keefriffhard4life
isn't black gold hendrix all acoustic and no one else?

Yes and no. Black Gold can be two things: 1) a 5 CD compilation mainly of outtakes and rehearsals; 2) a collection of songs Jimi recorded in his appartment in early 1970 (or so they say). I was referring to the former. As for the latter, in fact some home recordings from Jimi's NY apartment from early Spring/February 1970 are circulating but they appear not to be the BlacK Gold home recordings.

If you guys are *really* interested in these kind of things, there's a couple of dedicated Hendrix sites out there where people are rambling who know really each and everything about each recorded moment in Jimi's musical life (and possibly yet some).

Date: February 22, 2018 14:57

Eddie Kramer talked to 4 french magazines about the new album. The 1st interview is in Rolling Stone (Jimi on the cover with a famous portrait by Gered Mankowitz). Then Guitarist Magazine, Guitare Xtreme and Guitar Part will arrive later.

YM

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 22, 2018 18:36

Acc. to Wiki John McDermott compiled this one...

Hey Stones fans imagine the situation at the Hendrix HQ : a super-fan (McDermott) is in charge of the vaults of the musician he admires most.
Toooo bad there's not an IORR regular in charge of the Stones' tape library.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: February 22, 2018 18:52

For anyone in NYC who is so inclined to fork over some $, this event looks interesting (also will be live streamed):
[tickets.thecuttingroomnyc.com]

A Jimi Hendrix Experience with Eddie Kramer and John McDermott
Wed, March 7, 2018
Doors: 6:00 pm / Show: 7:00 pm
The Cutting Room
New York, NY

"Join us for a unique opportunity to be part of the studio audience as we get a sneak peek of the new Jimi Hendrix release ‘Both Sides of the Sky.’ Here we sit down with legendary producer Eddie Kramer and John McDermott, an experienced Hendrix producer and catalog manager, for an in depth interview. We’ll take a deep dive into this new release as we talk about the thirteen Jimi Hendrix studio recordings, including ten that have never before been released, on ‘Both Sides of the Sky,’ due out March 9. Includes an intimate interview, audience Q&A, meet & greet, and album signing. Eddie Kramer and John McDermott will be interviewed by author and journalist Brad Tolinski. The event is part of the BackStory Events online series and will be live streamed by Guitar World magazine."

Find out more at [bothsides.jimihendrix.com]

Listen Here [jimihendrix.lnk.to]

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: February 22, 2018 19:59

I think Jimi is still alive on a desert Island somewhere, geeshh...How much more stuff can come out from this guy??????????????

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: February 22, 2018 20:43

Finally releasing "Send My Love To Linda"? Cool song, reminds me of Kurt Cobain stuff. Wonder when we'll finally get "Seven Dollars In My Pocket"? 2046?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-22 20:44 by TravelinMan.

Date: February 23, 2018 01:51

dcba
a super-fan (McDermott) is in charge of the vaults of the musician he admires most.

In France, a super-fan (yours truly) is in charge of the promotion of the musician he admires most spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

YM

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 23, 2018 02:17

Jimi Hendrix's sound engineer Eddie Kramer introduces a previously unreleased track on Chris Evans' Breakfast Show, BBC Radio 2.
Well, 30 seconds of it!

[www.bbc.co.uk]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-23 02:18 by Deltics.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 23, 2018 02:31

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 23, 2018 03:28

Lover Man

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: February 23, 2018 17:29

Yazid Manou
Rolling Stone (Jimi on the cover with a famous portrait by Gered Mankowitz).

Message from Gered :

"I just saw the French Rolling Stone cover – looks nice!

I have no idea how many covers my portraits of Jimi have been on, but it must be in the 100s.

I have been thinking about making a montage but just haven’t had the time – I will do it one day!
"

YM

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 24, 2018 02:49

Can't wait to get this. Ordered it some time ago. If there's three good tracks on it I will save, that ties it with anything the Stones have put out since Steel Wheels. And they're not buried in Seattle.

Date: February 24, 2018 14:12

24FPS
If there's three good tracks on it

You may probably find more than three thumbs up

YM

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: February 24, 2018 14:37

Deltics
Lover Man

That snare doesn't sound 1969/1970 to me....

Date: February 24, 2018 15:37

Sacke

And yet it is !

YM

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 24, 2018 18:33

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: February 24, 2018 19:06

Yazid Manou
Sacke

And yet it is !

YM

What I meant was that it IS a 1969/1970 snare...but it doesn't sound like one. It sounds like a modern snare. I never listen to the Brussels Affair (Bob Clearmountain mix), because of that snare...also too modern sounding (to my ears).

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 24, 2018 19:45

Just bought the vinyl 45 of Lover Man today, the B-side is unreleased Foxy Lady from Holland 1967. The cover is beautiful! Only thing they could improve on is make it color vinyl. Splatter wax would have been perfect. Anyhow, certainly worth 10 euro in my opinion.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1788
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home