Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Jimi Hendrix -" Both Sides of the Sky” on March 9, 2018
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 8, 2017 04:42

New Jimi Hendrix album with unreleased songs coming in March

Jimi

By Mesfin Fekadu|AP December 6 at 9:11 AM

NEW YORK — Unreleased songs recorded by Jimi Hendrix between 1968 and 1970 will be released next year.

Experience Hendrix and Legacy Recordings announced Wednesday that they will release Hendrix’s “Both Sides of the Sky” on March 9, 2018. The 13-track album includes 10 songs that have never been released.
Hendrix died in 1970 at age 27. The new album is the third volume in a trilogy from the guitar hero’s archive. “Valleys of Neptune” was released in 2010, followed by “People, Hell and Angels,” released in 2013.
Eddie Kramer, who worked as recording engineer on every Hendrix album made during the artist’s life, said in an interview that 1969 was “a very experimental year” for Hendrix, and that he was blown away as he worked on the new album. “The first thing is you put the tape on and you listen to it and the hairs just stand up right on the back of your neck and you go, ‘Oh my God. This is too (expletive) incredible,” said Kramer. “It’s an incredible thing. Forty, 50 years later here we are and I’m listening to these tapes going, ‘Oh my God, that’s an amazing performance.’”Many of the album’s tracks were recorded by Band of Gypsys, Hendrix’s trio with Buddy Miles and Billy Cox. Stephen Stills appears on two songs: “$20 Fine” and “Woodstock.” “It sounds like Crosby, Stills & Nash except it’s on acid, you know,” Kramer, laughing, said of “$20 Fine.” “Jimi is just rocking it,” he added. “It’s an amazing thing.” Johnny Winter appears on “Things I Used to Do”; original Jimi Hendrix Experience members Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding are featured on “Hear My Train A Comin’’’; and Lonnie Youngblood is on “Georgia Blues.” Kramer produced the album alongside John McDermott and Janie Hendrix, the legend’s sister and president of Experience Hendrix. Kramer said though “Both Sides of the Sky” is the last of the trilogy, someone could find new Hendrix music in an attic or a basement, which could be re-worked.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-08 04:43 by Hairball.

Re: OT: Jimi Hendrix -" Both Sides of the Sky” on March 9, 2018
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 8, 2017 06:01

Much as I love Jimi Hendrix' music, I gotta wonder: Just how much can they squeeze outta his studio work and other recordings? Artists don't put out all of their product for a reason. One can only hope this (and anything else that shows up down the road) will turn out to be something worthwhile.

Date: December 8, 2017 06:20

can't wait for this

Posted by: ab ()
Date: December 8, 2017 07:36

47 years dead, and the hits just keep coming without any stinking hologram! I'm sure it'll be worth a few spins.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 8, 2017 08:29

dmay
Just how much can they squeeze outta his studio work and other recordings? Artists don't put out all of their product for a reason.

...yet we all want those discs on Exile or Some Girls that have those unreleased nuggets like Title 5

Rod

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: December 8, 2017 10:02

I think the material should be released as long as it's not complete crap (and we know this isn't). It's a little silly with all these 12 track studio "albums" though... the historical context is vague. I love First Rays of the New Rising Sun, but the ones that have come after are a little random.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: December 8, 2017 10:06

'scuse me. while I milk this guy...

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: December 8, 2017 19:09

I wish they would release the freaking Albert Hall concert already -- [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: December 8, 2017 19:40

Milan
I wish they would release the freaking Albert Hall concert already -- [www.youtube.com]
There used to be a vinyl release of that no?
Remember the room of full of mirrors vividly.

Date: December 8, 2017 19:54

LieB
I think the material should be released as long as it's not complete crap (and we know this isn't). It's a little silly with all these 12 track studio "albums" though... the historical context is vague. I love First Rays of the New Rising Sun, but the ones that have come after are a little random.

While First Rays was good, it was bit redundant for me as I've had Rainbow Bridge and Cry of Love since they were released - and both were just re-released in pristine vinyl, cd, etc. a couple of years ago. The Hendrix estate or whoever was behind the promo for First Rays claimed "this was the vision he had for his next album while he was alive", but nothing was etched in stone...he was even thinking about a triple album at one point. I prefer Cry of Love and Rainbow Bridge not only for sentimental reasons, but there's also tracks between the two that aren't on First Rays - the live Hear My Train a Coming for example which is the holy grail version imo. The other two albums released after that - Valleys of Neptune and People, Hell and Angels were good for a few listens (and a couple decent tracks) but haven't really listened to them since just after their release.

Hopefully this new one will pack a bigger punch, and with the inclusion of Stills, Winter, and Youngblood - at least there will be more variety.
Worst case scenario is it will be unnecessarily scraping the bottom of barrel which really doesn't do his legacy any favors.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: December 8, 2017 22:25

Well they can always release Black Gold, an all acoustic Hendrix album, but no, why not wait until all the Hendrix fans that were old enough to see him live die out?

Also, produced by Janie Hendrix? Ok, red flag.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 8, 2017 22:44

The sound you can hear is the barrel being scraped.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: December 8, 2017 23:56

Milan

battle between 2 parties prevents it from coming out

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: December 9, 2017 04:58

I see, thanks.

Date: December 9, 2017 06:25

Milan
I see, thanks.

one company owns the film and the other the music and there was some contract back in the day that the music would be a soundtrack to the film

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: December 9, 2017 14:41

If "Valleys of Neptune" and "People, Hell and Angels" were part of a trilogy what was "South Saturn Delta"?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 9, 2017 15:04

thkbeercan
If "Valleys of Neptune" and "People, Hell and Angels" were part of a trilogy what was "South Saturn Delta"?

"South Saturn Delta" was released 20 years ago when Experience Hendrix were distributed by Universal.
They shifted to Sony in 2010 and this is the third album of "new" material under that deal despite Eddie Kramer saying that "People, Hell and Angels" would be the last Hendrix album to feature unreleased studio material.
It would seem that Janie couldn't resist another scrape from the bottom of the barrel.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-09 15:10 by Deltics.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 16, 2018 18:54

Unreleased version of Mannish Boy from "new" album:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 16, 2018 19:17

keefriff99

[www.youtube.com]

Thank you! At a first listen, to me it sounded very similar to the "Blues" LP version, but I may be wrong.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 16, 2018 23:05

Cristiano Radtke
keefriff99

[www.youtube.com]

Thank you! At a first listen, to me it sounded very similar to the "Blues" LP version, but I may be wrong.
It's listed as unreleased, but I know there are other versions. Either way, a highly enjoyable listen.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: January 16, 2018 23:12

terraplane
'scuse me. while I milk this guy...

LOL I would assume all the good stuff is already out. Gee

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: January 17, 2018 00:26

There will always be a market for these barrel scrapings as hardcore fans want everything there favorite musicians recorded.

Did we really need megabootlegs of Stones Voodoo Lounge Sessions with multiple takes of half finished songs? probably not but fans bought them none the less.

As a fan of Hendrix I would be interested in barrel scrapings if for nothing else just to hear him play guitar.

Personally I wish they would release more live material like the complete Fillmore East Band of Gypsys concerts box set myself.

Date: January 17, 2018 01:46

keefriff99
Cristiano Radtke
keefriff99

[www.youtube.com]

It's listed as unreleased, but I know there are other versions. Either way, a highly enjoyable listen.

Received an email earlier from legacy recordings with a link to this track, and it says:

"Listen to a never-before-heard take on Muddy Waters’ blues classic “Mannish Boy”!
It’s one of 13 studio recordings (10 of which are previously unreleased)
that make up Jimi Hendrix’s brand new album Both Sides Of The Sky, available March 9".

Date: January 17, 2018 04:03

oldschool
There will always be a market for these barrel scrapings as hardcore fans want everything there favorite musicians recorded.

Did we really need megabootlegs of Stones Voodoo Lounge Sessions with multiple takes of half finished songs? probably not but fans bought them none the less.

As a fan of Hendrix I would be interested in barrel scrapings if for nothing else just to hear him play guitar.

Personally I wish they would release more live material like the complete Fillmore East Band of Gypsys concerts box set myself.

there is more live material that will come out within the next 2-3 years on the current deal

Date: January 17, 2018 16:18

Hairball
keefriff99
Cristiano Radtke
keefriff99

[www.youtube.com]

Received an email earlier from legacy recordings with a link to this track, and it says:

"Listen to a never-before-heard take on Muddy Waters’ blues classic “Mannish Boy”!
It’s one of 13 studio recordings (10 of which are previously unreleased)
that make up Jimi Hendrix’s brand new album Both Sides Of The Sky, available March 9".

Thanks! smiling smiley

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: January 17, 2018 16:22

keefriffhard4life
oldschool

there is more live material that will come out within the next 2-3 years on the current deal

Hopefully complete concerts but I will take anything they give us fans.

Date: February 16, 2018 06:15

This "new" studio version of Hear My Train A Comin' just on it's own is probably worth the price of this upcoming release.

Exclusive: Listen to one of Jimi Hendrix's last songs with the Experience

On Vevo: Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train a Comin'

While my favorite has always been the live version from the Rainbow Bridge album(live in Berkeley, first show May 30, 1970), this new studio version just might rank right up there along with it. thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-16 06:21 by Hairball.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: February 16, 2018 14:51

Next up: Full Symphonic Orchestra backing Jimi. Well it worked for Elvis.....
Tired. moody smiley

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Date: February 16, 2018 16:27

Hairball
This "new" studio version of Hear My Train A Comin' just on it's own is probably worth the price of this upcoming release.

Exclusive: Listen to one of Jimi Hendrix's last songs with the Experience

On Vevo: Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train a Comin'

While my favorite has always been the live version from the Rainbow Bridge album(live in Berkeley, first show May 30, 1970), this new studio version just might rank right up there along with it. thumbs up

This new version is great! Thanks for sharing! smileys with beer

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: February 18, 2018 01:55

I don't believe there are any real new, unreleased Hednrix songs on the album. Rather alternative or working versions, covers played for fun or (excerpts from) jams. The "new" Mannish Boy sounds OK but. let's be honest, it does not really shake the earth. I can't listen to Train because of Geo-IP-blocking but I have a studio version somewhere, just wondering if it's the same.

Very much to his legal successors' benefit, Jimi was fond of endless overdubs and alternative versions, and did a lot of jamming and let the tape roll all the time. Basically, take any hour of jamming, slice it up evenly into tracks and hey presto! here's your new Jimi Hendrix album.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1844
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home