Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
DOOM & GLOOM (lyric video)
Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 8, 2017 02:25

video: [youtu.be]

Classic already and only 5 years ago.

Re: DOOM & GLOOM (lyric video)
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 8, 2017 02:45

A classic already? The song or the "video"? It's a long way off from being a classic.

Date: December 8, 2017 11:37

GasLightStreet
A classic already? The song or the "video"? It's a long way off from being a classic.

That is your opinion, not mine.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 8, 2017 11:41

GasLightStreet

thumbs up
Classic?!! A poor song...like Gotta Get a Grip/England Lost.

Date: December 8, 2017 17:54

KRiffhard
GasLightStreet

thumbs up

It's way better than those, imo, but not a classic.

Had they treated D&G like YGMR, it might have been closer to a classic, though.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: December 8, 2017 17:55

I love it and also liked One More Shot!

Date: December 8, 2017 18:01

KRiffhard
GasLightStreet

thumbs up

All I hear is doom and gloom here spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: December 8, 2017 18:02

RipThisBone
GasLightStreet

That is your opinion, not mine.

Fact: Doom And Gloom is not a classic.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 8, 2017 18:21

DandelionPowderman
KRiffhard
GasLightStreet

thumbs up

You mean if they had played it in concert consistently over the years?

I think Doom and Gloom is a great latter-day rocker, but they didn't push it hard enough to make it a classic.

Date: December 8, 2017 18:23

If Doom And Gloom is a classic, Don't Stop is obviously a warhorse.

Date: December 8, 2017 18:28

keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
KRiffhard
GasLightStreet

thumbs up

I think Doom and Gloom is a great latter-day rocker, but they didn't push it hard enough to make it a classic.

Yep.

I don't think Mick likes to sing it, though. Never once did he sing the chorus properly.

Date: December 8, 2017 18:37

DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
KRiffhard
GasLightStreet

thumbs up

Yep.

I don't think Mick likes to sing it, though. Never once did he sing the chorus properly.
Yeah, it never really popped live...plus the drum beat had some studio trickery going on that Charlie didn't replicate and it hurt the groove.

I still think it's a damn fine studio track.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: December 8, 2017 19:29

KRiffhard
GasLightStreet

thumbs up

I am not one of those people who runs around claiming everything is brilliant but I really like England Lost. Gloom and Doom to me is just one more average Stones song from the last 25 years.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 8, 2017 20:12

Doom and Gloom might have been a good song had it not been overproduced imo - maybe a stripped down acoustic bluesy version.
As it stands though, it's generic crap.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: December 8, 2017 22:18

Great Rolling Stones classic! Fantastic !

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 8, 2017 22:48

RipThisBone
video: [youtu.be]

Classic already and only 5 years ago.

thumbs up ... I've always loved it!

Date: December 9, 2017 00:29

Hairball
Doom and Gloom might have been a good song had it not been overproduced imo - maybe a stripped down acoustic bluesy version.

The stripped down album version was much poorer, imo.

The drive was sucked out of it, somehow..

Posted by: Misterjimmy ()
Date: December 9, 2017 00:34

I
try to stay sober but I end up drunk ! love it

Date: December 9, 2017 01:13

DandelionPowderman
Hairball

I was talking about a fictional stripped down acoustic bluesy version though which might have been better. I really wouldn't consider the official version stripped down...sounds phony and overproduced .
I remember when it was released someone referred to it as slick '80s's ZZ Top with drum machines, etc. (Legs, Sharp Dressed Man, etc., etc.) As for live versions, maybe a step above, but still sort of a generic Stones rocker.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-09 01:20 by Hairball.

Date: December 9, 2017 03:07

GasLightStreet
If Doom And Gloom is a classic, Don't Stop is obviously a warhorse.

Haha ha ja ja.

Date: December 9, 2017 03:32

I just really like the vocal meter of the verses...Mick's delivery of the lyrics is badass, and I dig the sampled back beat.

Don't Stop is such a vanilla song. Nothing particularly wrong with it, but unmemorable aside from the electric/acoustic mixing that Keith and Ronnie can do in their sleep nowadays.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: December 9, 2017 03:59

Its alot better than all that 80's crap they made.

Date: December 9, 2017 04:03

Don't get me started on Don't Stop keefriff99. winking smiley

The only thing positive about that song was when played live Ronnie had the camera thing-a-ma-jiggy attached to the neck of his guitar.
Seems old fashioned now, but at the time it was cool to see on the big screens at the concerts. But no matter how many times I saw them play it, it was the absolute lowlight of every concert during Licks.
I enjoyed their cover of Love Train more than Don't Stop.

*I remember when it was first released (I think exclusively online...AOL maybe), and I played it for my older brother who was a huge Stones fan - he laughed in my face and walked away after the first minute.

Date: December 9, 2017 04:17

Hairball

The only thing positive about that song was when played live Ronnie had the camera thing-a-ma-jiggy attached to the neck of his guitar.
Seems old fashioned now, but at the time it was cool to see on the big screens at the concerts. But no matter how many times I saw them play it, it was the absolute lowlight of every concert during Licks.

*I remember when it was first released (I think exclusively online...AOL maybe), and I played it for my older brother who was a huge Stones fan - he laughed in my face and walked away after the first minute.
Heh, I know.

Now that I think about it, I saw five Licks shows between '02-'03 and just double-checked...yep, they played it at EVERY show. I suppose I enjoyed it only because I was so insanely excited to be seeing the Stones so many times, but yeah, there's no doubt it was the nadir of every show I saw.

Looking at setlist.fm, they may very well have played it on EVERY show of the Licks tour (106 performances), and haven't revisited it since.

[www.setlist.fm]

Date: December 9, 2017 05:14

keefriff99
Hairball

Heh, I know.

Now that I think about it, I saw five Licks shows between '02-'03 and just double-checked...yep, they played it at EVERY show. I suppose I enjoyed it only because I was so insanely excited to be seeing the Stones so many times, but yeah, there's no doubt it was the nadir of every show I saw.

Looking at setlist.fm, they may very well have played it on EVERY show of the Licks tour (106 performances), and haven't revisited it since.

[www.setlist.fm]

Looking at that link, one of those 106 was played by a cover band called Voodoo Lounge at a club in Germany in 2007 lol.
And without looking at every single setlist of the tour, I can say that it wasn't played at Stockholm Cirkus, Utrecht Vredenberg, and London Astoria in, and probably not at any of the other theater/club shows of the Licks tour.

This setlist fm link says there were a total of 116 shows in total - Licks - so I assume there were only 11 club/theater shows and 105 stadium and arena shows for all of Licks?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-09 05:15 by Hairball.

Date: December 9, 2017 05:30

Hairball
keefriff99
Hairball

Heh, I know.

[www.setlist.fm]

Looking at that link, one of those 106 was played by a cover band called Voodoo Lounge at a club in Germany in 2007 lol.
And without looking at every single setlist of the tour, I can say that it wasn't played at Stockholm Cirkus, Utrecht Vredenberg, and London Astoria in, and probably not at any of the other theater/club shows of the Licks tour.

This setlist fm link says there were a total of 116 shows in total - Licks - so I assume there were only 11 club/theater shows and 105 stadium and arena shows for all of Licks?
Ah, perfect. So they did skip 10-11 shows.

I did see that Voodoo Lounge cover...WTF??

Date: December 9, 2017 06:45

keefriff99
I just really like the vocal meter of the verses...Mick's delivery of the lyrics is badass, and I dig the sampled back beat.

Don't Stop is such a vanilla song. Nothing particularly wrong with it, but unmemorable aside from the electric/acoustic mixing that Keith and Ronnie can do in their sleep nowadays.

What about Mick going "Ahhh don't stoppp! Honeeeeenaaaay don't stoppp!"

Date: December 9, 2017 07:24

GasLightStreet
keefriff99

I just re-listened to that song earlier today for the first time in...god, at least 10-12 years, and was surprised at how unbelievably vanilla it is.

Doom and Gloom sounds like Jumpin' Jack Flash in comparison in my opinion.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 9, 2017 07:39

GasLightStreet
keefriff99

LOL!
‘All that’s left is an image that’s filed away’ (then vocal trailing off...)
What’s funnier is,
I love it.
Not the song,
his voice.

Date: December 9, 2017 10:32

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball

I was talking about a fictional stripped down acoustic bluesy version though which might have been better. I really wouldn't consider the official version stripped down...sounds phony and overproduced .
I remember when it was released someone referred to it as slick '80s's ZZ Top with drum machines, etc. (Legs, Sharp Dressed Man, etc., etc.) As for live versions, maybe a step above, but still sort of a generic Stones rocker.

The "official" version would be the single, which is not stripped down. Not at all smiling smiley

The GRRR-version is, though. All the extra drums and beats are peeled off.

It sounded like you had forgotten about the album version when you were talking about a fictional stripped down version.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1721
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home