Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Did Bill Graham video tape the 1969 Oakland shows?
Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: January 19, 2018 18:06

Excerpt from Bill Graham's book where he talks about fans rushing the stage during "Satisfaction". Unfortunately the last page related to the Oakland show is not part of the preview. Not a lot of love lost between the Stones and Mr. Graham.

[books.google.com]

No matter what your opinion is of Mr. Graham, and he sounds like he could be very difficult to deal with, I found his book to be a fascinating read and highly recommended for anyone interested in his story and the concert scene back in the day.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-19 23:47 by oldschool.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: January 24, 2018 03:33

Well, they obviously patched things up, otherwise Bill would not have been the promoter for their Tattoo You 1981-82 world tour.

And I remember something I read years ago that Bill was quoted as saying of Mick, "that @#$%& is a great entertainer." Don't remember where I read it, though.

plexi

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: January 24, 2018 19:36

I do not recall any video screen above/behind the stage at the evening show Chicago 1969 I attended. Some nice photos on the net of that show but no full stage shots to confirm or deny. I think I would have remembered that though given where my seat was stage right in the Amphitheater Mezzanine. Videos would be very cool of full shows if ever made available. A favorite tour of mine.

Thanks for the info guys. Good thread!

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: January 24, 2018 21:13

I own a hardcover copy of this book, will check out this section when i'm home....

Date: January 24, 2018 23:07

filstan
I do not recall any video screen above/behind the stage at the evening show Chicago 1969 I attended. Some nice photos on the net of that show but no full stage shots to confirm or deny. I think I would have remembered that though given where my seat was stage right in the Amphitheater Mezzanine. Videos would be very cool of full shows if ever made available. A favorite tour of mine.

Thanks for the info guys. Good thread!

It may be that the big screen was just a feature of the Bill Graham promoted Oakland shows.

Unfortunately it looks like not many of the 1969 shows were professionally filmed which makes the possibility that Bill Graham may have filmed both Oakland shows even more historic if those videos still exist.

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: January 29, 2018 20:54

dcba
The audio is... The slow-motion footage could have been taken from the MSG reels.

I’m not sure the footage is MSG the audience look like they’re much lower than the stage. If you look at Gimme Shelter the stage at MSG looks pretty low and people are leaning on it without much effort. If you look at LIV you’ll notice the stage stands much taller and the monitors on the front of stage look a lot different.

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-29 23:29 by Nasty Habits.

Date: January 30, 2018 06:07

Someone was asking Ronnie about a screen shot of Mick J. in the doorway of a trailer and if it was from West Palm Beach but it has since been deleted or the post changed?

I checked Stanley Booth's book and he clearly states the Maysles Brothers were on the plane to West Palm Beach and shot video of the Stones in their hotel in WPB. Booth's description makes it seem pretty sure the Maysles Brothers did go to WPB and shot some footage there. This seems to jive with VideoJames account that one of the Maysles Brothers told him they shot WPB footage.

No mention of them shooting concert footage of the WPB show but if they were there shooting hotel footage maybe they also shot some backstage concert footage and actual concert footage?

I don't remember what Mick was dressed in in the photo of him standing in the doorway of the trailer, that was deleted from someones post, but Booth states Mick was dressed in red ruffled shirt and burgundy blazer on the plane to WPB.

I will try to scan the pages and post them when I get a chance.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-30 14:06 by oldschool.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 30, 2018 06:56

would that shot of Jagger in the trailer be from Altamont?
He was there, with the Maysles the night before the show....and backstage the band squeezed into a trailer/caravan.

Actually...I do know of that trailer pic you talk about and it was said to be from Palm Beach...

West Palm beach was the last show...I always thought the footage in Gimme Shelter movie when Keith is freezing getting out of the Helicopter (along with the rest of the band), that it was taken at WP Beach ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-30 07:28 by Eleanor Rigby.

Date: January 30, 2018 14:16

pics from WPB with Mick in the Burgundy blazer

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-30 14:35 by oldschool.

Date: January 30, 2018 14:17

Also though not part of the tour they shot footage from the Lyceum show but it has been posted before so I can't the link here

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-30 14:28 by oldschool.

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: January 30, 2018 20:06

oldschool
Also though not part of the tour they shot footage from the Lyceum show but it has been posted before so I can't the link here

Lyceum and not the Pathé footage from Saville Theatre?

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Date: January 30, 2018 21:32

Nasty Habits
oldschool

Lyceum and not the Pathé footage from Saville Theatre?

You might be right as the person who posted the video was wrong claiming it is from the Lyceum.

I am sure people have seen these a million times but some nice shots from WPB music fest. If you click on link for more photos there is slide show on the next page from the pit in front of the stage. showing Mick.

Posted by: Jesse1960 ()
Date: February 1, 2018 03:00

bmuseed
I asked Chip Monck the question asked of me: Mr. Schneider, question to you on the 1969 tour: some shows promoted by Bill Graham are rumored to be either video taped, or had a video screen on top of the stage, or were broadcasted on some internal video system in the hall.'

His reply: BGP, Bill G Presents, Audio Recorded most everything within reach, but little Video, I suspect, as camera positions, other than hand held, would have had strong Union interference IATSE/IBEW
No such screen was “atop” the stage, I suspect he means “behind” the Act, Standard Video Enlargement, was not then used… Otherwise we would have to have accommodate it.
So, I think this is but another “feeler” from a Fan, where are the tapes..?
They come in daily

PS: The Maysles didn't film at Baltimore and did not go to West Pam Beach.

PPS: memories are a tricky thing and if I didn't have the documentation from those years .... I wouldn't have written a book...

You're probably right.Or Wolfgang's would be running them.Something to consider, Owsley was a crafty, motivated dude. Who never passed up a chance to record and at times film artists without their permission.I wouldn't put it past him to have filmed the shows.And been allowed to do so, without you guys knowing.Big room, and no metal detectors. There is no telling what he carted off to Australia.Or stuff he left in various basements and attics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-01 03:03 by Jesse1960.

Posted by: Jesse1960 ()
Date: February 1, 2018 03:11

bmuseed
and I had a physical confrontation with Graham at the Oakland concert... with Keith pulling me into the dressing room after I hit Bill and Tony Funches grabbing Graham.

Some writer, I don't remember which one, wrote you and Graham were having a physical and strong verbal disagreement over the finer points of modern day crowd control.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2309
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home