Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Did Bill Graham video tape the 1969 Oakland shows?
Posted by: automaticchanger ()
Date: December 17, 2017 04:42

timbernardis
James - what is a mag track?

plexi

He means the audio track that went with the footage.

Posted by: bmuseed ()
Date: January 4, 2018 17:38

I asked Chip Monck the question asked of me: Mr. Schneider, question to you on the 1969 tour: some shows promoted by Bill Graham are rumored to be either video taped, or had a video screen on top of the stage, or were broadcasted on some internal video system in the hall.'

His reply: BGP, Bill G Presents, Audio Recorded most everything within reach, but little Video, I suspect, as camera positions, other than hand held, would have had strong Union interference IATSE/IBEW
No such screen was “atop” the stage, I suspect he means “behind” the Act, Standard Video Enlargement, was not then used… Otherwise we would have to have accommodate it.
So, I think this is but another “feeler” from a Fan, where are the tapes..?
They come in daily

PS: The Maysles didn't film at Baltimore and did not go to West Pam Beach.

PPS: memories are a tricky thing and if I didn't have the documentation from those years .... I wouldn't have written a book...

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: January 4, 2018 18:07

Isn't the LIV fottage in Gimme Shelter from Baltimore?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 4, 2018 19:37

The audio is... The slow-motion footage could have been taken from the MSG reels.

Date: January 4, 2018 20:27

and another thing Chip mentioned..
"The first rumored remote viewing location was Monterey Pop ’67, never saw it, It was to accommodate the “overflow”
But I heard it existed.."

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: January 4, 2018 22:09

Thanks for checking Ronnie. Interesting response from Chip as photos in Ethan Russell's excellent book "Let It Bleed" shows what are described as closed circuit TV cameras at the Oakland shows. page 76/77 shows a nice close up of a camera pointed at a dancing Mick Jagger?

Morrison Hotel Gallery1473 × 980Search by image
Mick Jagger, Oakland, CA 1969

[www.morrisonhotelgallery.com]

and page 82 has two photos showng the camera being lifted onto the stage to save it from the crowd?

Do you or Chip remember anything about the Oakland shows being shown on closed circuit TV? Maybe Wolfgangs Vault has some gems in the archive yet?

Speaking of Chip here is a nice article about him.

[s3.amazonaws.com]

Now that you have told your story we need Chip to write his book!

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-04 22:25 by oldschool.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 5, 2018 13:52

oldschool
Thanks for checking Ronnie. Interesting response from Chip as photos in Ethan Russell's excellent book "Let It Bleed" shows what are described as closed circuit TV cameras at the Oakland shows. page 76/77 shows a nice close up of a camera pointed at a dancing Mick Jagger?

Isn't this photo from MSG?

Mathijs

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 5, 2018 13:52

bmuseed
I asked Chip Monck the question asked of me: Mr. Schneider, question to you on the 1969 tour: some shows promoted by Bill Graham are rumored to be either video taped, or had a video screen on top of the stage, or were broadcasted on some internal video system in the hall.'

His reply: BGP, Bill G Presents, Audio Recorded most everything within reach, but little Video, I suspect, as camera positions, other than hand held, would have had strong Union interference IATSE/IBEW
No such screen was “atop” the stage, I suspect he means “behind” the Act, Standard Video Enlargement, was not then used… Otherwise we would have to have accommodate it.
So, I think this is but another “feeler” from a Fan, where are the tapes..?
They come in daily

PS: The Maysles didn't film at Baltimore and did not go to West Pam Beach.

PPS: memories are a tricky thing and if I didn't have the documentation from those years .... I wouldn't have written a book...

Thanks for the answer, I really appreciate it.

Mathijs

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: January 5, 2018 17:43

Anything left in the vaults seriously needs to come out sooner rather than later. Most of the 'die-hard' Rolling Stones fans I grew up with are losing interest as we get older. They don't even want to hear me talk about them any more, lol. It's like, "You're still a fan?", or even worse, "What are you going to do when they move on?". I think I have one last mate who is willing to even have a respectable conversation of the band...and that's usually after a couple of beers.
Even I'm losing interest...(God help me!). I'm pretty confident I'm going to have little desire to watch a newly discovered 1969 tour video or tape when my own bones and joints aren't going to co-operate.winking smiley

Date: January 5, 2018 18:28

Mathijs
oldschool

Mathijs

Not according to Russell's book, unless he got the date he took the photo on confused. Also VJ stated he has seen footage so........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-05 21:35 by oldschool.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: January 5, 2018 22:25

oldschool
Mathijs
oldschool

Mathijs

Not according to Russell's book, unless he got the date he took the photo on confused. Also VJ stated he has seen footage so........

Yes, good question. I am not sure it's Oakland - there is another photo in the Ethan Russell book (and also on one of these threads) showing Bill Graham at the front of the stage in Oakland while the Stones are performing and there are no fans pressed up against the front of the stage - i.e. The area is clear, as if there was a security barrier at the front of the stage...

Date: January 6, 2018 02:19

john lomax
oldschool
Mathijs
oldschool

Mathijs

Yes, good question. I am not sure it's Oakland - there is another photo in the Ethan Russell book (and also on one of these threads) showing Bill Graham at the front of the stage in Oakland while the Stones are performing and there are no fans pressed up against the front of the stage - i.e. The area is clear, as if there was a security barrier at the front of the stage...

Date: January 6, 2018 02:19

Yeah JL, could be Ethan got his dates mixed up as to what concert his photo is from. Would be an interesting question to ask him if anyone knows how to get in touch with him?

But we do know Bill Graham had a habit of taping the audio and video of the concerts he promoted. Also Videojames has said he has seen or knows of video footage of both Oakland shows so it does not hurt to dream.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-06 02:33 by oldschool.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 7, 2018 17:31

Isnt there Maysles audio on gimme shelter movie from Oakland? Would have to double check but im sure there is Oakland audio from one of the shows in the movie..."ooohhh we couldnt see you.." early on in the movie.
That above pic is not Oakland IMO...

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: January 8, 2018 02:41

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but at the Oakland '69 shows, the band was using The Grateful Dead's amps - to noticeable difference (improvement?), if you compare tapes from the era.

Date: January 8, 2018 03:25

O.K. I took the chance to contact Mr. Ethan Russell about the photos in his "Let It Bleed" regular edition of his epic 1969 tour book I own, attributed to the 1969 Oakland shows, which showed the cameras. Here was my original inquiry and he was nice enough to answer back so here is his response.

Hello Mr. Russell,

I have a copy of your massive amazing "Let It Bleed" book and wanted to ask if you could verify the location of some of the photos. On pages 146/147 and 150 the photos are attributed to Oakland coliseum and show what look like a TV camera. Some of my fellow hardcore Stones fans claim the photos are from Madison Square Garden. Can you confirm they are indeed from Oakland?

Any information is appreciated and thank for taking your time to take my question.

Best regards,

JT

Mr. Russell's response

My pleasure. I am not always able to confirm where a photo was taken but those are unequivocally Oakland. The closed circuit was Bill Graham's pride, although of course they looks silly today.

He seems pretty sure that the photos showing the TV type camera are from Oakland 69 so, along with Videojames verifying there are videos of both Oakland shows, maybe there are 1969 tour video treasures still in the WV archives or in collectors hands that may still see the light of day for us Stones fans before we get to old to appreciate them.smiling bouncing smiley

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-08 15:27 by oldschool.

Date: January 12, 2018 02:28

So I am listening to Stanley Booth's True Adventures book on CD on my drive to work and of the Oakland concerts he writes:

"Another factor was present tonight and I walked to the back of the stage to see it, a giant closed-circuit television screen above the stage. A big black and white Jagger above the real one"

And later he writes "The Kids rushed the stage (at the start of Satisfaction) carrying the guards with them, surrounding the cameraman in front of the stage. Bill Graham, onstage, rushed forward to protect the cameras as the cameramen climbed onstage, handing the cameras out of a sea of rocking flesh"

I think this confirms Ethan Russell's photos were indeed from Oakland and that there was a closed circuit TV setup. So where is the video?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-12 04:44 by oldschool.

Date: January 12, 2018 04:22

Good work oldschool !!

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: January 12, 2018 08:22

roundnround
I was there and I do recall a black and white video screen above the stage...

As I said before, I was at the Oakland concert on Nov. 9, 1969, at the early show. There was a black and white video screen above the stage. The picture quality was not that good but it was definitely there. I had never seen this before so I do remember it.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: January 12, 2018 12:43

oldschool
So I am listening to Stanley Booth's True Adventures book on CD on my drive to work and of the Oakland concerts he writes:

"Another factor was present tonight and I walked to the back of the stage to see it, a giant closed-circuit television screen above the stage. A big black and white Jagger above the real one"

And later he writes "The Kids rushed the stage (at the start of Satisfaction) carrying the guards with them, surrounding the cameraman in front of the stage. Bill Graham, onstage, rushed forward to protect the cameras as the cameramen climbed onstage, handing the cameras out of a sea of rocking flesh"

I think this confirms Ethan Russell's photos were indeed from Oakland and that there was a closed circuit TV setup. So where is the video?

Thanks oldschool. But I wonder where that Ethan Russell photo of Bill Graham at the front of the stage, with no fans around, comes from. Can't be Oakland if all the other photos show fans crowded around the stage. In the photo Mick is wearing a white puffy shirt and black trousers, not the black omega jumpsuit....

Date: January 12, 2018 13:11

There were 2 shows Oakland.
White Puffy shirt = oakland first show.

Date: January 12, 2018 14:27

john lomax
oldschool

Thanks oldschool. But I wonder where that Ethan Russell photo of Bill Graham at the front of the stage, with no fans around, comes from. Can't be Oakland if all the other photos show fans crowded around the stage. In the photo Mick is wearing a white puffy shirt and black trousers, not the black omega jumpsuit....

Yeah I agree with you JL that photo of Graham in front of the stage with no fans was a loose end but if you read what Booth wrote he states the fans rushed the stage during the opening of "Satisfaction" which is the third to last song of the concert. Before that they may have kept the fans away from the stage? Booth does state in his book Graham would yell at fans who stood up to dance upfront to sit down. There is no actual photo of a barrier in front of the stage. As far as the wardrobe difference is concerned ER makes a valid point that Mick could have worn different shirts for the two shows but who knows for sure. I am at work so will have to check Russell's book to see if there are other photos of the two concerts

Here is what we know from people who were there or have knowledge about rumoured tour video:

1. Ethan Russell gave us several photos showing a camera and confirmed to me they were from Oakland. He was very sure of the location the pics were taken.

2. Stanley Booth states in his book there was a big screen and cameras that he made a special effort to go look at as it was a novelty at the time. He also stated the crowd rushed the stage late in the show and the cameras were lifted on stage. This matches Russell's photos showing the cameras and them being lifted on stage.

3. Booth states the crowd did not rush the stage until late in the concert which could explain why we have the photo of Graham with the clear front of the stage. He also states Graham hung out at the front of the stage harassing fans who stood up to dance. So this maybe implies there was no stage barrier?

4. One of the members here, roundnround, was at the show and remembers the big screen.

5. Bill Graham was known to video tape concerts he promoted and Videojames has stated earlier in this thread that he knows of video of both Oakland shows.

On the other side of the coin information possibly refuting the photos were from Oakland:

1.Chip Monck stating in a response to Ronnie S. that there was no video screen that he can remember.

2. A photo of Bill Graham in front of the stage with no fans leaning on the stage. Was there a barrier in front of the stage?

3. The Oakland photos show Mick wearing two different shirts. Did he wear different shirts for the 2 shows?

People have to make their own conclusions but for me the evidence points to there being closed circuit TV cameras at Oakland so there may possibly be video either in Wolfgangs Vault's archive or in collectors hands. I can at least dream can't I? smiling smiley

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-12 20:31 by oldschool.

Date: January 12, 2018 23:51

I have 2 photos reportedly from the 2nd show with mick omega top...given to me from a friend.
But how do u post pics?
It shows the "camera man" at front of stage.
You will find them in the Goodman book.

Date: January 12, 2018 23:55

Eleanor Rigby
I have 2 photos reportedly from the 2nd show with mick omega top...given to me from a friend.
But how do u post pics?
It shows the "camera man" at front of stage.
You will find them in the Goodman book.

Would love to see them.

There may be an easier way but I have used a program called Postimage which allows you to directly post an image from your computer.

[postimages.org]

You would open the Postimage program in a separate window-> click on "choose image"-> find the image you want to post on your harddrive-> click on the "direct link" choice and this will copy the URL for the pic on your harddrive to your clipboard to paste later.

Go back to IORR and click on the "insert image URL" (mountain/sun) icon in the tool bar of your post response box and paste the Postimage URL in. The picture should show up when you post your message.

Also can you tell me the title of the book the image is in?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-13 02:20 by oldschool.

Date: January 13, 2018 03:02

Date: January 13, 2018 04:22

Eleanor Rigby
oakland 2nd show

oakland 2nd show pic 2

Hopefully it works!

thanks ER those are great pics! I have never seen them. Can you tell me the title of the book as I will look for a copy.

Date: January 14, 2018 18:29

Found this old Rolling Stone Magazine article that was written by Jerry Hopkins with a date of December 22, 1969 so it is just after the end of the tour. Seems to confirm there was a big screen with closed circuit cameras and that fans rushed the stage during the Stones playing of "Satisfaction" at the end of the concerts with Bill Graham trying to save his cameras so most likely there was no barrier. This jives with several other eye witness accounts.

Here is an excerpt pertaining to Oakland:

The staging was near-perfect. To begin with, the Oakland Coliseum is a good-looking hockey rink; an overhead grid in the saucer-shaped structure looks like a turbine and you're convinced you're deep inside a space ship headed for another galaxy. Over the stage was a bank of colored lights. Scattered around the giant bagel-shaped room, against the ceiling, were six spreading laser beams, the spotlights, bathing the Stones in blue and red. And over the whole thing, high over the stage and colored lights, was a monstrous closed circuit TV screen. Two cameras were in front of the stage and for an hour and fifteen minutes twice that night the screen was filled with Jagger's uni-sex face. (Looking at times quite the duplicate of Katherine Hepburn or Lauren Bacall. And when the cameras pulled wide to show all of Jagger, prancing, he looked and moved like Hayley Mills.) It was, simply, a consummate show executed in a consummate manner. Bill Graham proved, once again, that he knew what a promoter should do.

But Graham made a little mistake. It happened during Oakland's first show, when the thousands who had been dancing in the aisles rushed the stage, overrunning (but not damaging) the closed circuit television cameras.

Graham jumped onto the stage and began bouncing around like a man trying to stamp out a nest of snakes, pushing kids away and giving orders. Sam Cutler asked Graham to leave the stage. Graham told Cutler to get the hell off his stage. Then Graham grabbed Cutler – and Cutler, having a fuse only millimeters longer than Graham's, grabbed back. They were going to kill each other.

Five feet away the Stones were still playing "Satisfaction."

Finally the fight was stopped, but after the show, there was a lot of tension backstage. Graham was pacing. A dozen men in black suits stood outside the Stones' dressing room. Rumors flew: The Stones are going to incite a riot, tell the kids to destroy the place.

Here is the complete article which I think is a nice read about the tour.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-14 19:05 by oldschool.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: January 15, 2018 13:44

oldschool

Graham jumped onto the stage and began bouncing around like a man trying to stamp out a nest of snakes, pushing kids away and giving orders. Sam Cutler asked Graham to leave the stage. Graham told Cutler to get the hell off his stage. Then Graham grabbed Cutler – and Cutler, having a fuse only millimeters longer than Graham's, grabbed back. They were going to kill each other.

Five feet away the Stones were still playing "Satisfaction."

Finally the fight was stopped, but after the show, there was a lot of tension backstage. Graham was pacing. A dozen men in black suits stood outside the Stones' dressing room. Rumors flew: The Stones are going to incite a riot, tell the kids to destroy the place.[/i][/b]

Here is the complete article which I think is a nice read about the tour.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Thanks.. We miss that kind of incident...Reminds me the little Cutler thought about Graham, according to his memories

Date: January 16, 2018 02:46

and I had a physical confrontation with Graham at the Oakland concert... with Keith pulling me into the dressing room after I hit Bill and Tony Funches grabbing Graham.

Date: January 19, 2018 17:47

Just adding info as I find it.

From Ethan Russell's amazing massive "Let It Bleed" book

From an interview section of the book talking about the Oakland concert:

Ethan Russell: " When the crowd rushes the stage, it forces Bill Graham's cameramen off the floor, and I am right behind them documenting, it's exciting"

Photos from Oakland section

I highly recommend his book and you can get the standard version now at half price of $325.00. Not inexpensive but if you are a fan of the 1969 tour it is a must have. when you click on the "buy the standard edition now" the discounted price shows up in the shopping cart.

[www.letitbleedbook.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-19 17:58 by oldschool.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1879
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home