Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Tokai guitars
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 5, 2017 06:41

Have been doing research on Sigma by Martin acoustic guitars as I own two - a DM5 and a DR35. Tokai, allegedly, is the company that built the MIJ Sigma acoustics to Martin specifications. Have found lots of general info on the MIJ Sigma's and other Japanese made guitar lines, but it's virtually impossible - based on serial numbers and such - to determine just when a Sigma was made in Japan. Model names and their introduction years give some indication of the build period. Martin doesn't provide any real info on their Sigma period. Anyway, in my search, I came across the following link. Nice read on Tokai. It got me to thinking (always a dangerous thing to do): Have Keith or Ronnie ever noted Tokai guitars or used them? Have any rock or music performers ever noted them or been seen playing them on stage? Have any of you experience with Tokai guitars?

[drowninginguitars.com]

Re: OT: Tokai guitars
Posted by: tomk ()
Date: December 5, 2017 07:53

Ronnie used one is 81-82 on a few occasions, I believe. There's a thread about that. A bandmate of mine had a Tokai Strat (mid-80s) and he loved it. It was a really good guitar.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: December 5, 2017 09:55

On a side note, SRV posed with one on the cover of Texas Flood. Tokai make great guitars (especially in the earlier 1980s)

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 5, 2017 09:59

Ronnie used a Tokai 50's style Strat copy on the 81/82 tours.

He had a Floyd Rose trem fitted...[presumably didn't want to butcher a real old Strat to add the facility.]

They were very nice guitars guitars though...

...and largely responsible for giving Fender the kick up the arse they needed to get their act back together after the rather the iffy times in the 70's under CBS.

Tokai copied Fender's classic 50s & 60s Strats & Teles ...and Fender then kind of copied Tokai with their Fuji Gen built Japanese JV Squires & Fenders which gave them breathing space to get USA production sorted out under the then new ownership .
Fender then went from strength to Strength with both their contemporary and "vintage reissue" product.

Some folks might view Tokai & their ilk as cowboy "Law suit" copyists...but with hindsight they did everybody a great favour in setting a benchmark for making quality guitars for sensible money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-05 10:25 by Spud.

Date: December 5, 2017 10:01

Classic 80s guitar. A guy I played with in my first band had a Tokai, the strat-ish type. He traded it in for a Weston eventually, which was worse smiling smiley

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 5, 2017 13:44

Spud

He had a Floyd Rose trem fitted...[presumably didn't want to butcher a real old Strat to add the facility.]

...and largely responsible for giving Fender the kick up the arse they needed to get their act back together after the rather the iffy times in the 70's under CBS.

Tokai copied Fender's classic 50s & 60s Strats & Teles ...and Fender then kind of copied Tokai with their Fuji Gen built Japanese JV Squires & Fenders which gave them breathing space to get USA production sorted out under the then new ownership .
Fender then went from strength to Strength with both their contemporary and "vintage reissue" product.

Some folks might view Tokai & their ilk as cowboy "Law suit" copyists...but with hindsight they did everybody a great favour in setting a benchmark for making quality guitars for sensible money.
Well said Spud and I agree that Tokai gave Fender a good kick in the behind when the new ownership took over from CBS .Tokai really did provide a price point during that time period until late CBS fender (I think 1982) began the reissue of the vintage 1952 USA reissue of the Butterscotch maple neck Telecaster and the Vintage 1957 USA 2 Tone Sunburst Stratocaster maple neck and the vintage 1962 3 Tone Sunburst Stratocaster rosewood Board, then slowly Fender came back leading up to the creation of the Dream Factory Custom Shop. Tokai was smart because they provided a product and price point that filled a void until the new ownership in Corona California was at full strength and up and running .I have never seen or played a Tokai but I do very well remember Ronnie Wood using them in 1981-1982.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: December 5, 2017 14:43

I had a Tokai Strat with the slim neck and small frets. It has a great sound but I did not like the neck and sold it quickly.

Date: December 5, 2017 15:00

TheGreek
Spud

Well said Spud and I agree that Tokai gave Fender a good kick in the behind when the new ownership took over from CBS .Tokai really did provide a price point during that time period until late CBS fender (I think 1982) began the reissue of the vintage 1952 USA reissue of the Butterscotch maple neck Telecaster and the Vintage 1957 USA 2 Tone Sunburst Stratocaster maple neck and the vintage 1962 3 Tone Sunburst Stratocaster rosewood Board, then slowly Fender came back leading up to the creation of the Dream Factory Custom Shop. Tokai was smart because they provided a product and price point that filled a void until the new ownership in Corona California was at full strength and up and running .I have never seen or played a Tokai but I do very well remember Ronnie Wood using them in 1981-1982.

Greek, If you've played one of the excellent Mexican Classic series Strats or Teles, they remind me very much of the early 80s Tokais.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: December 5, 2017 16:01

I had an early Tokai LP-Style guitar in the 80ies.
IIRC they called it Love Rock or anything similiar to that.
It was a really, I mean really good guitar.
Alas, at one horrible gig, the amps didn't work and nothing else worked really
right that night, I smashed it like early Pete T did.
Did regret that smashing for years back then.

BTW Billy Gibbons had/has several Tokai LP style guitars.

Date: December 5, 2017 17:44

The early "Love Rock" LP copies were very nice.
The current Japanese ones are still very good and will stand comparison with any of Gibson's sub £2,000 Lesters.

[But don't confsue them with the Chinese built models. These are great budget guitars...but not correctly built copies with the right materials & construction ]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 5, 2017 19:04

Spud
TheGreek
Spud

Greek, If you've played one of the excellent Mexican Classic series Strats or Teles, they remind me very much of the early 80s Tokais.
Really , I do know well how good the Mexican Classic series Stratocasters are and Fender are doing a wonderful job of making those instruments at that price point .Change out pickups and maybe some electronics and it is a great sonic benefit and makes them a go.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: December 8, 2017 04:56

See this:
[www.pinterest.jp]

Isn't Ronnie playing a Tokai with FRT on the movie: Let's Spend The Night Together?

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 8, 2017 06:02

Cool stuff. Thanks for the link Toru A.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1673
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home