Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: American Idol Winners Can't Find Work
Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: December 4, 2017 16:21

A common theme among everyone in this list is "poor record sales, dropped by label."

Interesting. All those millions of viewers, all that attention and hoopla....and, since very few people actually buy music anymore, they're done. Or, pretty much out of the music scene.

I'm sure that pop radio gave all of them at least a little bit of airplay rotation, but only for awhile.

I stopped paying attention to the show those last several years, anyway. Great singers, all of them, but there just didn't seem to be any..."there"....there.

[www.thelist.com]

Re: OT: American Idol Winners Can't Find Work
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 4, 2017 16:55

I say: Disney picks the BEST young talent.
This comes from watching the Disney channel for the last decade.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 4, 2017 18:33

The whole world is changing and I think this is only the beginning..............................................................

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 4, 2017 19:48

NICOS
The whole world is changing and I think this is only the beginning..............................................................

True that. And I’m opened minded
BUT I draw the line at holograms. I’m not even sure what it is,
but some mystical swirly laser version of someone, no.
It’s got to be real.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-04 19:53 by 35love.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 4, 2017 19:57

Better to be runner up.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 4, 2017 20:08

Koen
Better to be runner up.

Yes, they seem to do better than the winners ... from what I've heard.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 4, 2017 21:13

not a surprise

Posted by: carouslambra ()
Date: December 4, 2017 22:12

They can always get a proper job like the rest of us !

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: December 4, 2017 23:47

There's always the good old-fashioned method of getting out there on the road in a van, paying your dues and building up your fan base. Making a record and waiting for the money to roll in was never how it worked, tbh.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: December 5, 2017 02:05

Exactly, they should pay their dues.

The show was terrible. I never got the appeal or the relatively large TV ratings. It consisted of bad cover versions by mediocre talent. If they were any good, they would take the conventional route.

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: December 5, 2017 03:23

Glad to say I've never ever watched it...The only people that get rich are the sponsors, and the host, in the same vein as soap operas, just an excuse for air time commercials. Like above said, the real idols are out playing their asses off in club somewhere night after night..

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 5, 2017 03:27

35love
I say: Disney picks the BEST young talent.
This comes from watching the Disney channel for the last decade.

I’ll agree and raise you 10 years...

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: December 5, 2017 04:07

Everyone knows the real talent can be found on The Voice.winking smiley

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: December 5, 2017 04:41

Take me back, back to the shack
Back to the strat with the lightning strap
Kick in the door, more hardcore
Rockin out like it's '94
Let's turn up the radio
Turn off those stupid singing shows
I know where we need to go
Back to the shack

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: December 5, 2017 05:44

The full-service gas station at the corner of my block is hiring.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 5, 2017 08:07

Maybe they could knock out a tune while burger-flippin' .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: December 5, 2017 08:28

This...
Aquamarine
There's always the good old-fashioned method of getting out there on the road in a van, paying your dues and building up your fan base. Making a record and waiting for the money to roll in was never how it worked, tbh.

THIS...
marianna
Exactly, they should pay their dues.

The show was terrible. I never got the appeal or the relatively large TV ratings. It consisted of bad cover versions by mediocre talent. If they were any good, they would take the conventional route.

AND THIS...
BamaStone
Glad to say I've never ever watched it...The only people that get rich are the sponsors, and the host, in the same vein as soap operas, just an excuse for air time commercials. Like above said, the real idols are out playing their asses off in club somewhere night after night..

Perfectly said.

I have seen less than 10 minutes total of this atrocity show in all the time it was on the air, and most of that viewing time was clips of that nasty mean spirited overhypedbullsht force fed to me watching "local news", as they hyped up who was doing what or voted off or whatever BS was going on. I left people houses when it was decided they were watching that show. There was no way I would spend an hour on that shitt

It was all fake canned generic, homologous, PC, safety zoned, good for nothing garbage.

The best quote I ever heard about that shitshow went something like "If the people who run AI had been in charge of music from the start we would have none of the unique artist or the great music they created great artist/bands because Joni, Bob and Neil / Stones / etc etc would never have fit AI's mold or even get past round 1"... or something like that.

I was delighted to hear the show was ending... as happy as I will be when rap crap/hip/hop goes away... and delighted when there are no more Chuck Lorre TV shows being made.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-05 08:33 by Leonioid.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 5, 2017 09:57

We have the same kind of shows here in Sweden. Basically it's an entertainment format. Very commercial. Mostly aiming a younger audience. Must admit I do not watch it. A few of these "idols" survive on the market though. Most of them don't. Artistic quality is so and so. Many of them can't sing (or play). A few can. This program is selling a product more than anything else. It's about money. As always.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 5, 2017 13:47

Is this really a surprise to any of us ? Who really came out and hit it from this show ? Carrie Underwood and Jennifer Hudson who did not even win (3rd place I believe ) Kelly Clarkson who I really don't think much of is about it ?

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: December 5, 2017 16:01

From what I can gather, in the UK at least.........the audience seems more interested in the competition, the 'players' are incidental.
Once a winner has been determined the audience more or less forgets about the competitors and just waits for the next competition, whether that be 'Big Brother', 'I'm a celebrity, get me out of here', 'The Voice', 'Strictly come dancing' or whatever.........

Occasionally one will prove to sustain their appeal but not often..............

a bit gladiatorial really.....

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 5, 2017 16:20

In my opinion, they don't want work. They want rewards. They're built up by the producers and sponsors to believe that they're an "Idol" and seem to expect to be treated as such and seem surprised when the spotlights provided by others aren't sustained for them. If they were willing to do the work, and I mean HARD WORK, possibly they could sustain themselves and their time in the spotlight.

From a different angle, I think EddieByword has a great perspective above. The audience isn't necessarily a fan of the players as much as they are of the game... Which is yet another reason that, without the sustained effort of the "players", the game will always be "the star of the show" and the players will, over time, be forgotten.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: December 5, 2017 16:50

There is a huge market though for second rate artists. The celebrity factor ranks higher than artistic values. And that is what these shows provides.
And most people prefers second rate artists before first rate ones. Probably because they can't tell the difference anyway.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 5, 2017 18:00

TheGreek
Is this really a surprise to any of us ? Who really came out and hit it from this show ? Carrie Underwood and Jennifer Hudson who did not even win (3rd place I believe ) Kelly Clarkson who I really don't think much of is about it ?

Seems I've forgotten that Carrie Underwood was on that show. Yet Kelly Clarkson is easy to remember.

Jennifer Hudson... maybe I've seen her name but I can not recall ever hearing her.

So is it fare to say that the women do better than the men?

My wife liked to watch it occasionally. It was a good laugh - and sometimes there really was good singing. But then there were some guys that were SERIOUS and brought their guitars with them and had some kind of (bunk) mystique about them with the usual "I'm from a musical family and music is my life" and blah blah blah "so this is natural for me" or "I belong here" and all kinds of garbage.

If you're a MUSICIAN/ARTIST then what are you doing on a TV show that has nothing to do with artists or musicians?

Uh huh - LAZY. You can only impress yer mama and dem for so long at the local pizza joint.

Date: December 5, 2017 18:36

Good to see you're still around, Skippy!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 5, 2017 18:51

Some Idol winners were awful.

I liked this one:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: December 5, 2017 20:52

EddieByword
From what I can gather, in the UK at least.........the audience seems more interested in the competition, the 'players' are incidental.
Once a winner has been determined the audience more or less forgets about the competitors and just waits for the next competition, whether that be 'Big Brother', 'I'm a celebrity, get me out of here', 'The Voice', 'Strictly come dancing' or whatever.........

Occasionally one will prove to sustain their appeal but not often..............

a bit gladiatorial really.....

Good points, seems very true and that is another reason I despise these "vote them off"/"there will be one winner" type of TV shows. Like that show where people are on an island and each week they must vote someone off... wtf?

It seems the whole model of these gladiator shows is promoting being a devious cut throat, back stabber, cheater who goes after the other people any way they can... versus having a show that promotes "lets all work together and get along"

The other damned thing these shows is how they turned so many people (they imagine) into AI judges. Reading many show reviews and the nit picking of every little thing that happens at a live concert e.g. "The horror!! did you see Keith lean against the riser at that one part?!"... or "It seems Micks voice was 1/100 off his best level of singing at minute 2.47, thus ruining the entire song"... and other silly crap like that.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 5, 2017 23:07

i heard Taylor Hicks once in Vegas. he was very good & entertaining. he wasn't popular with the judges. clearly though he had paid dues, working bar circuit in the south. he had a hot band too. wasn't anything earth shattering but wasn't bad.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 6, 2017 17:21

The problem the way I see it for these types of reality shows and with Idol around the corner starting what in early !8 ? is that these so called contestants if they actually had a real talent of value would they not have been signed already to a major recording contract ? As in Hollywood has there nose in all kinds of places to find and develop the next coming of so and so .So what works in a Reality show is not really REAL LIFE to me .

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 6, 2017 17:33

Stoneage
Good to see you're still around, Skippy!

Oddly enough I'm finding some solace on iorr.org these days. Something to distract me while I figure out my life.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 6, 2017 17:59

What was really weird is that performers would all do the same songs season after season.

Everyone who sang "Let's Stay Together" would throw in the little "Somebody!" ad-lib that Al Green did mid-way through as if it was in the lyrics.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2118
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home