Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Remembering ian mclagan ...
Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: December 3, 2017 00:29

died 3 years ago now (december 3th), was horrible news back then,
one day after Bobby keys died.

always my favorite from ian - little troublemaker
[www.youtube.com]

Re: Remembering ian mclagan ...
Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: December 3, 2017 13:44

I will go with this soulfull song of Ian

[www.youtube.com]

Bye
Fernando

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 3, 2017 13:57

3 years, damn.

One of the side musicians I always liked in the StonesĀ“ sound.
I made a radioshow about his output in January 2015. What a career.

"I Will Follow":
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 3, 2017 15:23

Weird how two of the New Barbarians died within a day of each other. When I think of those two guys, I'm amazed at how my experience of their music became so increasingly intimate over the years. The first time I saw Mac, he was onstage with the Stones in a football stadium in 1978. The last time I saw him, at a tiny club in 2009, I was literally standing next to him, looking over his shoulder, close enough that I could have reached out and touched the keys on his keyboard. Similar experience with Bobby Keys, from a New Barbarians show in '79, where I was in the last row of the uppermost level at the furthest end of Madison Square Garden, to standing right in front of him, just four feet away, in 2012 at the same club where I had seen Mac three years earlier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-03 15:24 by tatters.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 3, 2017 16:05

Last time i saw him, was in 2010 with the Faces . Bospop, Weert Holland. Thanks for your Music Ian, miss you.
Jeroen

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 3, 2017 16:11

Truly is probably my favorite

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 4, 2017 13:52

Such a great soul and Keyboardist who I miss very much .

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: December 4, 2017 18:20

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: December 4, 2017 19:23

Thanks thomashanck for helping to keep the memory of Mac alive. I saw this guy play countless times in many different places with the Faces, Stones, Barbarians, Billy Bragg and The Blokes, and of course the Bump Band. He loved to play and once he went solo with the Bump Band Mac became a warm and entertaining front man to go along with his incredible skills at the keyboards.

What a guy!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 5, 2017 04:27

Another good one ... La De La

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 5, 2017 17:54

Ian McLagan was the best. A rock legend and a regular guy at the same time.

I'm still not over his death, and I can't begin to say how much I miss the guy.

I once asked him about the line in "La De La" that goes, "...I read every Lee & Kirby comic book...", and yeah, he was a comic book fan. I wrote a letter to the Jack Kirby Collector magazine informing readers about that tune, and then sent Mac a copy when it was published. He was delighted.

A couple years later Mac was on the cover of DISCoveries magazine, and I was surprised that there was no mention of this song that was fairly new at the time:
[www.youtube.com]

Since that publication was all about records, it seems a no-brainer that they would have highlighted it.

After I first heard that song, I sent Mac an email telling him how as a record collector, that song personally terrified me. I told him it needed a Warning Label, and that he wrote back that he got a laugh out of that.

Having heard him play a Faces tune solo vs. the clip of Stewart-Wood-Jones performing a couple years back confirmed that Mac was the essential piece of the Faces, and when he died he took the sound and spirit of that band with him.

God bless Mac.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1803
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home