Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT - Is the internet dying? Would you pay to visit IORR?
Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: November 30, 2017 13:57

meh, I'm over the internet anyway. It's so 2000.

Re: OT - Is the internet dying? Would you pay to visit IORR?
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 30, 2017 23:00

keefriff99
I canceled my cable back in 2009, and haven't missed it one damn bit.

Between my music and books, YouTube, Amazon Prime, HBO Now and Netflix, I have enough content to last me 50 lifetimes.

The total monthly fees for me work out to approximately:

High-speed internet = $80.00
Netflix = $10.00
HBO Now = $15.00
Amazon Prime = $ 8.33
============================
$113.33

That's not bad at all considering how much a full cable package can run. The worry that a lot of people have is that eventually every media company out there is gong to launch their own niche streaming service, and eventually all those little fees will add up to or surpass the average cable bill.

For instance, CBS All Access ($5.99/month) just launched featuring a new Star Trek series (Star Trek Discovery) that's only available on there. Disney announced it's going to be launching a massive streaming service next year which will probably have content that a LOT of people will be salivating over (all the old Disney animated films, new Star Wars live-action TV shows, new Marvel comics shows, etc.).

And then there are other services out there like Hulu and YouTube Red which are generating their own proprietary content now.

I personally don't plan on adding any of these onto my existing list. I'm happy with what I have and, like I said, I can barely sift through all the content I have access to now.

The ONLY thing I really miss not having cable is live sports...I'd love to be able to watch a baseball or football game on a lazy Sunday afternoon. There are various MLB/NFL/NBA/NHL streaming packages out there too, but they can run expensive depending on how many team games you want access to.

The bottom line is I prefer being able to pick and choose what I want on a more targeted level rather than ordering a gargantuan cable package with hundreds, if not thousands, of useless channels. When I go home to visit my parents, I'm utterly stunned by the sheer volume of garbage channels that come with their package.

That's fine for yourself, but what if you have a wife who watches QVC, HSN, those stupid housewife shows, and all those home renovation shows, and kids that want to see Sponge Bob and other shows on Nickelodeon and other kids that watch that SVU crime show and MTV and other shows. How do you reconcile their preferences with your views?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2094
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home