Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick solo / Keith solo... mash-ups
Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: November 28, 2017 14:34

Dunno... Was just thinking to myself the other day, along the lines of some (ever) popular topics over here – the way the Stones work in the recording studio these days, vis-à-vis the way Mick & Keith used to write songs together; whether or not their ‘momentum' right after WW III & the getting-together-again with "Steel Wheels" & the subsequent world tours late ‘80s/ early ‘90s had been surpassed by a string of (be it highly acclaimed) solo stints (“Talk Is Cheap”, “Wandering Spirit”, “Main Offender”...); and if the sum of Mick & Keith’s efforts is & always will be so much greater than the effors themselves; only combined creating the one & true Rolling Stones ‘song magic’.

And then I thought about stuff like this: ...

Queen / Rage Against The Machine (JSCDubstep mash-up)

Salt N Pepa / the Stooges (2ManyDJ’s mash-up)

Led Zep /Black Sabbath (Wax Audio mash-up)

...and wondered: how about if someone would mash up tracks from Mick & Keith’s solo output? Wouldn’t that (best case scenario...), almost per definition, result in the album that never was from those days?

As said: just thinking to myself, the other day.

I don’t have the musical ‘ear’, nor the technique, nor the tools (suitable software etc.) to experiment myself –
but if someone who has is inspired after reading this: I’d say, go and have a ball! As long as you’re willing to share the results wit all of us. smoking smiley

And to others that can only think of possible Mick-Keith solo track combinations that would suit: feel free to shout’em out!

**DISCLAIMER** The purpose of this thread is not discussing mash-ups as such; although obviously you’re all free to do so – same goes for the specific mash-ups I used here, as an example.
Besides that, this thread is NOT about the Stones’ studio stamina and/or contemporary ways of working ‘together’; it is NOT about the late 80's/early '90s era in the band's history; nor is it about the band members' solo careers specifically. These things all have seperate, elaborated threads – I do hope we can stay on topic here.

Re: Mick solo / Keith solo... mash-ups
Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: November 28, 2017 14:38

?

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 28, 2017 14:48

smiling smiley
I like the idea.
Unfortunately, I don't have the software either, nor the know-how.

I can only propose mash-ups. Which is a bit difficult, because there are not a lot of solo songs by Mick that I like.
How about a mash-up of Just Another Night / Lover's Gift?

Or maybe mash-up very-bad/not-so-good songs: Let's Work with Bodytalk (I'd rather not hear it).

Date: November 28, 2017 15:54

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-28 15:56 by RoughJusticeOnYa.

Date: November 28, 2017 15:58

matxil
smiling smiley
I like the idea.
Unfortunately, I don't have the software either, nor the know-how.

I can only propose mash-ups. Which is a bit difficult, because there are not a lot of solo songs by Mick that I like.
How about a mash-up of Just Another Night / Lover's Gift?

Or maybe mash-up very-bad/not-so-good songs: Let's Work with Bodytalk (I'd rather not hear it).

...Hey, "Lover's Gift " is a pretty good pick. That could go with "Evening Gown " too.

But I guess the nemesis would be in the rockers... Like, "Put me in the trash " with ... oh, I dunno - anybody? "Take it so hard ", maybe?

Date: November 28, 2017 16:22

OK, here's a tricky one for you:

Which songs are mashed up (audio only) in this video?

Track #1/3 is released on a Mick solo release, and #2/4 is only to be found now on a Keith solo release.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-28 20:11 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: November 28, 2017 16:50

Nothing is mashED up yet; I'm questioning whether they could be - and if so: which ones f.e. ...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 28, 2017 18:21

Date: November 28, 2017 19:33

Nobody recognises the songs??

Date: November 28, 2017 19:34

RoughJusticeOnYa
Nothing is mashED up yet; I'm questioning whether they could be - and if so: which ones f.e. ...

You didn't really listen, did you grinning smiley

Date: November 29, 2017 10:18

DandelionPowderman
RoughJusticeOnYa

Aaaaw... You're right, Dandeee: wasn't paying attention there grinning smiley - wrong time of day, I suppose. (And limited view due to using tablet, yesterday.)
I must admit (I was awfull bad...): I didn't even read your post properly. smoking smiley
Didn't see you included a link, there.

But hey, you got me baffled - I vaguely recognize "Love is Strong" on harp; and there's hints of "Hurricane" on the accoustic imo... But that doesn't add up to what you said about it...?!

So: HELP! (I need somebody... winking smiley )

Date: November 29, 2017 10:22

RoughJusticeOnYa
DandelionPowderman
RoughJusticeOnYa

Aaaaw... You're right, Dandeee: wasn't paying attention there grinning smiley - wrong time of day, I suppose. (And limited view due to using tablet, yesterday.)
I must admit (I was awfull bad...): I didn't even read your post properly. smoking smiley

But hey, you got me baffled - I vaguely recognize "Love is Strong" on harp; and there's hints of "Hurricane" on the accoustic imo... But that doesn't add up to what you said about it...?!

You got Hurricane right. I guess it's time to plough the Mick catalogue winking smiley

Date: November 29, 2017 10:23

Hairball
I saved a bunch of these in a playlist awhile back, though never listen to them unless a thread like this pops up:
(One of my favorites - a Stones/Beatles mashup has since been deleted)

Wow, Hairball, that Stones/Temptaions mash-up is quite impressive!!
And that Clash/Wonder one is hilarious... grinning smiley but it definitely works!
I'll listen to the others later today, when I get back home from work.

This is exactly the stuff I was thinking about...
Now if only some genious could do this with Mick/Keith solo thingies... we just might get anywhere near "the best thing since Exile on Main Street..." grinning smiley

Thanx for your input, guys!

Date: November 29, 2017 10:41

RoughJusticeOnYa
Hairball
I saved a bunch of these in a playlist awhile back, though never listen to them unless a thread like this pops up:
(One of my favorites - a Stones/Beatles mashup has since been deleted)

Wow, Hairball, that Stones/Temptaions mash-up is quite impressive!!
And that Clash/Wonder one is hilarious... grinning smiley but it definitely works!
I'll listen to the others later today, when I get back home from work.

This is exactly the stuff I was thinking about...
Now if only some genious could do this with Mick/Keith solo thingies... we just might get anywhere near "the best thing since Exile on Main Street..." grinning smiley

Thanx for your input, guys!

I assume you've heard the Stones/Bon Jovi-thing that was done on Glee, so I won't bother to post that one smiling smiley

Date: November 29, 2017 14:33

DandelionPowderman
RoughJusticeOnYa
DandelionPowderman
RoughJusticeOnYa

You got Hurricane right. I guess it's time to plough the Mick catalogue winking smiley

Ooow PLEASE don't make me do that... (please) I'm turnin' blue in the face just by thinking about that. sad smiley I can only digest "Wandering Spirit".

Date: November 29, 2017 14:46

RoughJusticeOnYa
DandelionPowderman
RoughJusticeOnYa
DandelionPowderman
RoughJusticeOnYa

Ooow PLEASE don't make me do that... (please) I'm turnin' blue in the face just by thinking about that. sad smiley I can only digest "Wandering Spirit".

Any Mick solo-fans who can help out my belgian friend here?

A hint: I reviewed the album from where this track is included rather favourably a little while ago smiling smiley

Date: November 29, 2017 20:25

This was the Mick-track (from Alfie):

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 29, 2017 21:30

There's been some great ones from Axl and Slash's work from Guns N Roses:

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Date: December 1, 2017 02:48

I've been collecting rock inspired mashups for years. Got over 200 in the ol' collection. The production on some of these are outstanding. Here's some of my favs. Steve Jones played the Pistols/Madonna mashup on his radio show. He said it even got a thumbs up from Madonna. The Dandy Warhols is an early edit. It was later redone but that one is now blocked. There's a Katy Perry/ACDC mashup that's fantastic but was pulled and cannot be found on YouTube. Glad I grabbed it while it was still up.

Enjoy.

Rolling Stones v. Depeche Mode
[www.youtube.com]

Rolling Stones vs. The Dandy Warhols
[www.youtube.com]

Alice Cooper vs. Earth, Wind & Fire
[www.youtube.com]

Abba vs. Van Halen
[www.youtube.com]

Sex Pistols vs. Madonna
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-01 02:54 by micknkeef@cox.net.

Date: December 1, 2017 03:41

[email protected]
I've been collecting rock inspired mashups for years. Got over 200 in the ol' collection. The production on some of these are outstanding. Here's some of my favs. Steve Jones played the Pistols/Madonna mashup on his radio show. He said it even got a thumbs up from Madonna. The Dandy Warhols is an early edit. It was later redone but that one is now blocked. There's a Katy Perry/ACDC mashup that's fantastic but was pulled and cannot be found on YouTube. Glad I grabbed it while it was still up.

Enjoy.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Abba vs. Van Halen
[www.youtube.com]

Sex Pistols vs. Madonna
[www.youtube.com]

thumbs up

Do you remember (or have) the Sympathy For the Devil vs. Hey Jude mash-up? (I think it was Hey Jude?)
I recall it being one of the best, but searching on youtube can no longer find that specific one - just a few inferior versions.
It was the studio version of Mick singing Sympathy lyrics over the Beatles Hey Jude....must have been deleted as I see there are several that have been deleted in my youtube "mashup" folder.
Problem is, they don't tell you specifically the title of the deleted!

In the meantime, stumbled across this old one:

Johnny Cash With Zeppelin, Beatles, Ted Nugent - God's Gonna Cut You Down

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-01 03:43 by Hairball.

Date: December 2, 2017 03:03

Hairball
[email protected]

Enjoy.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Abba vs. Van Halen
[www.youtube.com]

Sex Pistols vs. Madonna
[www.youtube.com]

thumbs up

Do you remember (or have) the Sympathy For the Devil vs. Hey Jude mash-up? (I think it was Hey Jude?)
I recall it being one of the best, but searching on youtube can no longer find that specific one - just a few inferior versions.
It was the studio version of Mick singing Sympathy lyrics over the Beatles Hey Jude....must have been deleted as I see there are several that have been deleted in my youtube "mashup" folder.

Checked and don't have it. There are some mashup sites, I'll check those. Here's one that makes me laugh every time I watch it.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: December 2, 2017 05:45

[email protected]
Hairball
[email protected]

Enjoy.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Abba vs. Van Halen
[www.youtube.com]

Sex Pistols vs. Madonna
[www.youtube.com]

thumbs up

Checked and don't have it. There are some mashup sites, I'll check those. Here's one that makes me laugh every time I watch it.

[www.youtube.com]

OK - did a bit of digging around and learned the song I was referring to was Sympathy For Friends - a mashup of Sympathy for the Devil and the Beatles' With a Little Help From My Friends.
Sounds like a crazy combo yes I agree, but that was part of the charm of it! And maybe my memory of it is better than it actually was?!

Unfortunately it has been deleted from youtube, and can't find it anywhere else

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1587
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home