Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4849505152535455565758Next
Current Page: 55 of 58
Re: OT: Eric Clapton stuff
Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: April 21, 2023 07:42

From the Crossroads I attended in NY the artists that appeared both days generally seemed to do acoustic set one day and electric the other. There is really no set breaks because when the electric set ends, on the side of the stage another artist starts performing acoustic.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: April 21, 2023 08:01

More Hot Rocks
Lien
RisingStone
Milan
Some great names there.

No Robert Cray.

[www.guitarworld.com]

Yeah I can’t blame the guy. Good for Robert

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 21, 2023 09:25

ROCKMAN

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 21, 2023 09:47

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-21 16:30 by frankotero.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: April 21, 2023 12:37

frankotero
I suppose anything is possible but I can’t see a blues man being a racist.

He isn't racist, but a English man can want his Country to remain predominantly English, just as a African man can want his Country to remain predominantly African. Doesn't make either a racist for wanting to keep his/ her culture alive, people don't want to feel the foreigner in their own Countries, perfectly understandable.

Date: April 21, 2023 13:46

keefriffhards
frankotero

He isn't racist, but a English man can want his Country to remain predominantly English, just as a African man can want his Country to remain predominantly African. Doesn't make either a racist for wanting to keep his/ her culture alive, people don't want to feel the foreigner in their own Countries, perfectly understandable.

He felt like a foreigner in 1976? smiling smiley

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 21, 2023 13:53

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-21 16:29 by frankotero.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: April 21, 2023 14:11

keefriffhards
frankotero

come on your gonna get this thread shut down again

just stop

also your "african man" anology doesn't make sense

there are 3000 different ethnic groups native to africa that speak 2000 different languages

there is no one african man

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-21 14:14 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 21, 2023 14:28

Naturally Eric Clapton thread will transform into a thread spreading nazionalist propaganda.

Well done.

- Doxa

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 21, 2023 17:38

ProfessorWolf
keefriffhards
frankotero

come on your gonna get this thread shut down again

just stop

also your "african man" anology doesn't make sense

there are 3000 different ethnic groups native to africa that speak 2000 different languages

there is no one african man

Well, Africa is a continent, and not a country, after all!

Anyway, shall we all move on?

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: April 21, 2023 18:27

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhards
frankotero

He felt like a foreigner in 1976? smiling smiley

Maybe he'd just attended the Notting Hill Carnival riots , who knows but he was drunk wasn't he, an alcoholic letting himself down by expressing himself in a terrible way, but like me I'm sure Eric has lots of black heroes that he looked up to and admired, i don't believe Eric to be a racist and that's me done on the subject.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 21, 2023 18:51

I just listened to his Rainbow Concert and I always want it to be better than it is. Its such a great setlist but the whole thing just feels very pedestrian and sluggish to me, given the talent involved. Am I alone in that or is a beloved album?

On a similar note, before that I listened to the Cream reunion album and also was underwhelmed by that. I've listened to both of these live shows many times, but the Cream one is interesting. I remember seeing it live at MSG and being underwhelmed, then the album came out which was supposed to be from the better run of shows and also thought it was just fine. Then years later I relistened and thought it was great! Depends on the day I decide to put it on whether I really feel like they recaptured something or if it just sounded like 60 year old men slogging along.

The only semi modern day Eric live album I feel consistently delivers is his one with Steve Winwood from MSG.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-21 18:55 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 21, 2023 19:04

Just got back from seeing him at the Budokan. His 100th Show there. The promoter gave him 100 roses, and Eric seemed genuinely happy. That was kind of cool.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: April 21, 2023 19:16

Budokan, Tokyo, 21 April (Night #4 and Eric’s 100th Budokan show)

1. Blue Rainbow
2. Pretending
3. Key To The Highway
4. Hoochie Coochie Man
5. I Shot The Sheriff
6. Kind Hearted Woman Blues
7. Nobody Knows You When You Are Down And Out
8. Call Me The Breeze
9. Sam Hall
10. Tears In Heaven
11. Kerry
12. Badge
13. Wonderful Tonight
14. Crossroads
15. Little Queen Of Spades
16. Cocaine
17. High Time We Went [encore]

*The setlist was the same as the previous nights except that Layla (electric) was replaced with Cocaine.

I was there tonight. There was an undeniable celebratory vibe in the air. And Eric and the band delivered quite an inspired performance although lots of people complained they were given Cocaine instead of the electric Layla that was played the last three nights.

When Eric took the stage again for the encore, he was given a gigantic bouquet by promoter Udo Artists to commemorate the achievement. Another milestone for Eric was established in his career — a memorable night.

During an hour and fifty minutes’ performance, his brilliance as a guitar player and performer made me forget the man’s lately acquired notoriety as an anti-vaxxer. Of the audience of 10,000-plus that filled the Budokan, some 85% were waring masks in my estimation. How did the scene look in his eyes I wonder?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 21, 2023 19:40

RisingStone

1. Blue Rainbow
2. Pretending
3. Key To The Highway
4. Hoochie Coochie Man
5. I Shot The Sheriff
8. Call Me The Breeze
9. Sam Hall
10. Tears In Heaven
11. Kerry
12. Badge
13. Wonderful Tonight
14. Crossroads
16. Cocaine

*The setlist was the same as the previous nights except that Layla (electric) was replaced with Cocaine.

I was there tonight. There was an undeniable celebratory vibe in the air. And Eric and the band delivered quite an inspired performance although lots of people complained they were given Cocaine instead of the electric Layla that was played the last three nights.

When Eric took the stage again for the encore, he was given a gigantic bouquet by promoter Udo Artists to commemorate the achievement. Another milestone for Eric was established in his career — a memorable night.

During an hour and fifty minutes’ performance, his brilliance as a guitar player and performer made me forget the man’s lately acquired notoriety as an anti-vaxxer. Of the audience of 10,000-plus that filled the Budokan, some 85% were waring masks in my estimation. How did the scene look in his eyes I wonder?

I don’t doubt that Eric Clapton expected see a mainly-masked audience. After all, they’ve been very obedient over there, no? He’s be surprised if everyone were wearing a covering at the Albert Hall, perhaps; as we’ve all stopped wearing the wretched things!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: April 21, 2023 21:34

Daspy, are you going to Crossroads in LA this September? How about you, MR DEEEEE, or Hairball? I'm in! Anyone planning to attend either night, please post here-->in this topic, or write me.

Would love to touch base before or at the shows.

cool smiley

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-21 21:39 by angee.

Posted by: fzv98d ()
Date: April 22, 2023 01:43

I am going both nights. 11th row on Saturday and 3rd row Sunday. I've been to every Crossroads except the first one.

Date: April 22, 2023 03:02

Wow, fzv98d! I'll be up on Keith's side, section 118, both nights. Where are you staying?

Only been to one before this, the first one Eric held in Toyota Park, IL. It's been a while. I was in the side bleachers for that, mostly, could move around. Met up with DTeaF while there, had a great time.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: April 22, 2023 03:52

Big Al
RisingStone

1. Blue Rainbow
2. Pretending
3. Key To The Highway
4. Hoochie Coochie Man
5. I Shot The Sheriff
8. Call Me The Breeze
9. Sam Hall
10. Tears In Heaven
11. Kerry
12. Badge
13. Wonderful Tonight
14. Crossroads
16. Cocaine

I don’t doubt that Eric Clapton expected see a mainly-masked audience. After all, they’ve been very obedient over there, no? He’s be surprised if everyone were wearing a covering at the Albert Hall, perhaps; as we’ve all stopped wearing the wretched things!

There is no mask mandate in Japan. Never has been. People wear masks voluntarily for good reason. Nobody orders that.

Do you call it peer pressure? Then taking off a mask in public can be peer pressure where the majority of people don’t wear masks any more, like in Britain now.

I wore a mask at Clapton’s Royal Albert Hall concert in May last year where a fraction of the audience did so — I spotted only five or so among the five thousands. Am I more individual and free-spirited than the average British person?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 22, 2023 04:15

@ angee - No plans yet on attending either night of the Crossroads fest in L.A., but Sept. is a long ways off and things can change.

Here's a great clip of L.A.'s own Los Lobos at the Crossroads fest 2007 in Chicago with Steve Winwood watching from the wings...

Date: April 22, 2023 05:19

Thank you, Hairball, for that video!

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: April 22, 2023 07:47

angee
Daspy, are you going to Crossroads in LA this September? How about you, MR DEEEEE, or Hairball? I'm in! Anyone planning to attend either night, please post here-->in this topic, or write me.

cool smiley

I am doing both and will be taping so not posting my seat locations beyond I will be on the floor (obviously). There are a few people on here who I wouldn't trust with my seat info. I am staying at the Residence Inn nearby Fri to Mon and up for after show meeting.

Really looking forward to War on Drugs (seeing them a few times in Europe this summer) and Samantha Fish.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 22, 2023 20:38

daspyknows
angee

cool smiley

I am doing both and will be taping so not posting my seat locations beyond I will be on the floor (obviously). There are a few people on here who I wouldn't trust with my seat info. I am staying at the Residence Inn nearby Fri to Mon and up for after show meeting.

Really looking forward to War on Drugs (seeing them a few times in Europe this summer) and Samantha Fish.

Hey daspy, are you going to the Light Up the Blues Benefit show with Neil Young tonight at the Greek Theater in L.A.?
I won't be there, but Having flashbacks of seeing Neil at the Warner theater in Fresno with you back in 2018 (doesn't seem that long ago!)...that entire run of small theater shows was incredible.
From Fresno (w/Crazy Horse), followed by Bakersfield (again w/CH), and then closer to home for me at the Lobero Theater with Promise of the Real - I think I saw seven shows in a ten day span lol...
Anyhow, looking forward to reports either from you or from anyone else who might be there tonight...tonights the night...hoping he tours again soon...thumbs up

Date: April 22, 2023 20:48

Budokan, Tokyo, 22 April (Night #5)

1. Blue Rainbow
2. Pretending
3. Key To The Highway
4. Hoochie Coochie Man
5. I Shot The Sheriff
8. Call Me The Breeze
9. Sam Hall
10. Tears In Heaven
11. Badge
12. Wonderful Tonight
13. Crossroads
14. Little Queen Of Spades
15. Cocaine
16. High Time We Went [encore]

*The setlist is the same as last night except that Kerry was dropped.

I was there again tonight. My overall impression is, the “Eric going through the motions” day with some moments. Not a bad performance at all, but I felt he didn’t put enough heart in there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-22 20:52 by RisingStone.

Date: April 25, 2023 12:27

Budokan, Tokyo, 24 April (Night #6: the final show of EC’s Budokan residency)

1. Blue Rainbow
2. Pretending
3. Key To The Highway
4. Hoochie Coochie Man
5. I Shot The Sheriff
8. Call Me The Breeze
9. Sam Hall
10. Tears In Heaven
11. Badge
12. Wonderful Tonight
13. Crossroads
14. Little Queen Of Spades
15. Cocaine
16. High Time We Went [encore]

*Same setlist as the previous show

I wasn’t there. The reports from the attendees all agree that EC and the band delivered a brilliant performance, probably the best of the six nights. EC finished his 222nd Japanese show on a high.

Date: April 25, 2023 17:06

Hairball
daspyknows
angee

cool smiley

Hey daspy, are you going to the Light Up the Blues Benefit show with Neil Young tonight at the Greek Theater in L.A.?
I won't be there, but Having flashbacks of seeing Neil at the Warner theater in Fresno with you back in 2018 (doesn't seem that long ago!)...that entire run of small theater shows was incredible.
From Fresno (w/Crazy Horse), followed by Bakersfield (again w/CH), and then closer to home for me at the Lobero Theater with Promise of the Real - I think I saw seven shows in a ten day span lol...
Anyhow, looking forward to reports either from you or from anyone else who might be there tonight...tonights the night...hoping he tours again soon...thumbs up

Just saw this and yes, I was there. Also at the Willie Nelson 90th. Those Neil shows were fun. Hope he tours again but I don't think he really wants to tour. California one offs are fine with me.

Date: May 3, 2023 20:34

Just saw Keb'Mo' last night with a drummer, keyboardist and bass player, and was extremely impressed.
He sure has come a long way since I saw him play solo years ago, opening for Jeff Beck in Milwaukee.

I just re-checked the list for Crossroads, and he's on it!

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: May 8, 2023 18:49

“Eric Clapton plays a bizarre gig for Carl Michaelson's birthday”

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

The songs performed includes While My Guitar Gently Weeps!

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: May 14, 2023 23:17

Hello,

The double-shovel made an appearance ten years ago tonight, hah-hah!

EC & PK play SSOYL in Manchester, 14/05/13

My ramblings from the day after...

Eric Clapton & Co. at The M.E.N., Tuesday 14th May 2013.

Talk about last-minute decisions: I didn't buy a cut-price (£30 instead of £75, thanks Ebay and thanks to the eejit who bought 6 seats and was getting hosed, hah-hah!) ticket until 6.30pm which meant a real dash to the venue but I still missed most of opener Gary Clark's set.

That was a shame as I had enjoyed what he had done when he guested with The Stones last December. He did watch almost all of E.C.'s set from the side of the stage too! Another time, I hope...

The reason for my almost take-it-or-leave-it attitude was that I had seen E.C. in the same venue 4 years ago and while I enjoyed the show, it was 'inessential' to repeat the experience. Plus I had read about the show in Brum the previous night and some fan reports said that Eric had disengaged towards the end of the two hours: I certainly didn't want to pay (even a reduced amount, hah-hah!) to see someone 'phone it in', so to speak.

The arena had it's upper tier tarped-off halfway around so I guess about 10000 punters were still anticipating a show that may well be the last time we see Eric, given his announcement to quit full-scale touring. Anyway at 8.40pm the house lights went out and away we went...it was a fairly raucous reception and our man seemed to be relaxed and beaming away: so far so good.

To cut a long story he played great- I'll let the two videos that I shot tell the story. I was thrilled to see Chris 'Quadrophenia' Stainton up there, as well as Steve Jordan, who watched Eric like a hawk throughout- there was no way that he was going to miss any cues!

So the bottomline: would I recommend this tour? Yeah-even without a revved-up 'Layla' the guy can still delight!

01. Hello Old Friend
02. My Fathers Eyes
03. Tell The Truth
04. Black Cat Bone
05. Gotta Get Over
06. Come Rain Or Come Shine (EC & Paul Carrack - vocals)
07. Got To Get Better In A Little While
08. Badge
09. Driftin' Blues
10. Goodnight Irene
11. It Ain't Easy (Paul Carrack - vocals)
12. Layla
13. Tears In Heaven
14. Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out
15. Lay Down Sally
16. Blues Power
17. Love In Vain
18. Crossroads
19. Little Queen Of Spades
20. Cocaine
21. Sunshine Of Your Love (with Peter Kay)
22. High Time We Went (EC & Paul Carrack - vocals)

[www.youtube.com]

Cheers,

Simon.

Date: May 14, 2023 23:24

Rockman

"Clapton was a good guitar player". "Hendrix was a force of nature". - Jack Bruce.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4849505152535455565758Next
Current Page: 55 of 58

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1854
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home