Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4445464748495051525354...LastNext
Current Page: 49 of 58
Re: OT: Eric Clapton stuff
Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: June 13, 2022 05:00

RisingStone
slewan
the second show was much better, but still not really great. Clapton wasn't off mic at all this time and took many more solos. Some where really great. The show as partly spoiled by a sing-along audience raised on 'unplugged'. And I can't stand that boring acoustic Layla anymore

A friend of mine who has seen Clapton concerts more than 130 times over the years attended Amsterdam night #2. The first time he saw Eric performing at the RAH was in 1990, and he flew over to London every time Eric played at the venue between 1995 and 2019. Due to a personal reason, though, he couldn’t make it to the RAH this time and picked AMS instead. As the information of the initial European setlists came in, his keenness went down, and he went to the show with low expectation. When it was over, he posted an enthusiastic comment on the bulletin board, Eric rocking hardest of the recent years, pushed by the audience on the all-standing ground floor, the most impressive show among those he had caught since 2014 and so on.

Hope this saves the day for you…

Most impressive show since 2014? That sounds like someone saying the Hollywood Florida was the best Stones show of the No Filter tour.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: June 13, 2022 07:45

daspyknows
RisingStone
slewan
the second show was much better, but still not really great. Clapton wasn't off mic at all this time and took many more solos. Some where really great. The show as partly spoiled by a sing-along audience raised on 'unplugged'. And I can't stand that boring acoustic Layla anymore

A friend of mine who has seen Clapton concerts more than 130 times over the years attended Amsterdam night #2. The first time he saw Eric performing at the RAH was in 1990, and he flew over to London every time Eric played at the venue between 1995 and 2019. Due to a personal reason, though, he couldn’t make it to the RAH this time and picked AMS instead. As the information of the initial European setlists came in, his keenness went down, and he went to the show with low expectation. When it was over, he posted an enthusiastic comment on the bulletin board, Eric rocking hardest of the recent years, pushed by the audience on the all-standing ground floor, the most impressive show among those he had caught since 2014 and so on.

Most impressive show since 2014? That sounds like someone saying the Hollywood Florida was the best Stones show of the No Filter tour.

On some other threads, you more often than not emphasized the importance of being there for the true appreciation of a live performance. I feel you contradict yourself here.

The person I mentioned — he is hardcore, far from a casual fan — is the first to admit that he was disappointed with the setlist from the European tour. Yet he was impressed by the performance so much so that he ended up not bothering about the stale setlist. For him, the guiarist’s high-octane playing on the night was more than enough to make up for the complaints against the songs played and heard one too many times, and nobody can deny the way he felt on site.

I don’t think the Hollywood Florida show was the best of the NF tour 2021 myself, and I wouldn’t pick it if I have to choose only one to attend. But I wasn’t there. If someone who attended several shows including the HF claims it was the best of the lot he/she caught, I respect his/her opinion even if I can’t completely stop questioning the view.

Off to bed now. Ciao.

Date: June 13, 2022 19:00

RisingStone
daspyknows
RisingStone
slewan

On some other threads, you more often than not emphasized the importance of being there for the true appreciation of a live performance. I feel you contradict yourself here.

The person I mentioned — he is hardcore, far from a casual fan — is the first to admit that he was disappointed with the setlist from the European tour. Yet he was impressed by the performance so much so that he ended up not bothering about the stale setlist. For him, the guiarist’s high-octane playing on the night was more than enough to make up for the complaints against the songs played and heard one too many times, and nobody can deny the way he felt on site.

I don’t think the Hollywood Florida show was the best of the NF tour 2021 myself, and I wouldn’t pick it if I have to choose only one to attend. But I wasn’t there. If someone who attended several shows including the HF claims it was the best of the lot he/she caught, I respect his/her opinion even if I can’t completely stop questioning the view.

Off to bed now. Ciao.

I agree in regards to being there. The hearsay from your friend saying it was the best since 2014 contradicts the hearsay from my friend who has been to a similar amount of shows. He didn't have any superlatives about the show. So, we have 2 people who have been to many many shows. One says it was great, one says it wasn't and who do I believe? The person I know and respect their opinion. You go do the same.

Using the Hollywood Fla comparison do you know anyone who said it was the best of the No Filter tour? Not 2021, but the entire multi-year tour. That's the point you are making. I don't and more expressed disappointment for going than expressing disappointment for not going.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: June 13, 2022 19:56

[www.youtube.com]

Doesn't this video from the whole concert prove Eric was great and the audience loved it and were thrilled, so people that said he was in poor form and not addressing the audience were not being truthful.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 13, 2022 20:14

keefriffhards
[www.youtube.com]

Doesn't this video from the whole concert prove Eric was great and the audience loved it and were thrilled, so people that said he was in poor form and not addressing the audience were not being truthful.

who said he didn't adress the audience? I said he as in poor form on the first show at Amsterdam

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: June 13, 2022 23:38

slewan
keefriffhards
[www.youtube.com]

who said he didn't adress the audience? I said he as in poor form on the first show at Amsterdam

Seen a few clips from the 7th June show he looked pretty good for a 77 year old, i don't know what people expect to be honest and i wasn't referring to you my friend, no worries i was talking to that other gut that trolls Clapton.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-13 23:40 by keefriffhards.

Date: June 14, 2022 00:53

daspyknows
I agree in regards to being there. The hearsay from your friend saying it was the best since 2014 contradicts the hearsay from my friend who has been to a similar amount of shows. He didn't have any superlatives about the show. So, we have 2 people who have been to many many shows. One says it was great, one says it wasn't and who do I believe? The person I know and respect their opinion. You go do the same.

Did your friend actually attend one of the ongoing European shows? If so, which one did he or she catch? The estimation largely depends on how Eric and the band were on or off on a particular night one saw.

daspyknows
Using the Hollywood Fla comparison do you know anyone who said it was the best of the No Filter tour? Not 2021, but the entire multi-year tour. That's the point you are making. I don't and more expressed disappointment for going than expressing disappointment for not going.

Do you ask how the Hollywood Florida show is ranked in the entire No Filter tour 2017-21, not just among the US dates 2021? It is fair to say the odds are quite low. That being said, whether those who did attend the gig perceived it is another matter. Ultimately the witnessers are more entitled to the estimation of the show than the observers who weren’t there.

Date: June 14, 2022 01:16

RisingStone
daspyknows

Did your friend actually attend one of the ongoing European shows? If so, which one did he or she catch? The estimation largely depends on how Eric and the band were on or off on a particular night one saw.

daspyknows

Do you ask how the Hollywood Florida show is ranked in the entire No Filter tour 2017-21, not just among the US dates 2021? It is fair to say the odds are quite low. That being said, whether those who did attend the gig perceived it is another matter. Ultimately the witnessers are more entitled to the estimation of the show than the observers who weren’t there.

Both Amsterdam shows.

That was the point I was making when you were referring to your friend saying Amsterdam 2 was the best show in 8 years. As you say, both people are entitled to their opinion but you quoting their hearsay has less validity to me than the person I know. How/why you think your friend's opinion is fact is beyond me. Since NEITHER of us were there it all gets down to who's opinion you respect.

Date: June 14, 2022 02:20

daspyknows
RisingStone
daspyknows

daspyknows

Both Amsterdam shows.

That was the point I was making when you were referring to your friend saying Amsterdam 2 was the best show in 8 years. As you say, both people are entitled to their opinion but you quoting their hearsay has less validity to me than the person I know. How/why you think your friend's opinion is fact is beyond me. Since NEITHER of us were there it all gets down to who's opinion you respect.

Okay. To me, that your friend attended the AMS night #2 is a bit vague on your original post, let alone both nights. And I didn’t express in a decisive way that my friend’s opinion was fact. All I did was quoting my friend albeit indirectly. The main aim of my post was offering an alternative view to slewan who described the pros and cons of the show, for the purpose of giving him a lift.

Where the truth lies — slewan, my friend, your friend or none of them — is beyond our reach, perhaps.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 14, 2022 03:07

My two cents:

Impossible to come to any agreement or conclusion on what is the truth - it's all subjective, especially when relying on secondhand impressions and information.
The only factual truth is that one persons friend said it was the best since 2014, while another persons friend said nothing of the sort...
I wasn't there, and had no friends that were there, so have no opinion one way or the other...so never mind...winking smiley

Meanwhile, this tune just popped in my head:

Posted by: ComeOn ()
Date: June 15, 2022 16:21

EC played extreme well,intense & focused with lots of feeling & he sang very well too last night in Copenhagen DK . On top of that his band performed & played absolutly sublime too . From the reaction of the rest of the audience it looked like I was not the only one with that experience .cool smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-15 17:42 by ComeOn.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: June 15, 2022 16:22

Two more days until I see him in Tampere, Finland!

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: June 15, 2022 16:24

At least he wont cancel due to covid. Enjoy Topi

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 16, 2022 09:29

Last time I saw Clapton was about 10 years ago. And it was absolutely terrific. But I heard after the concert from some friends, who also were there "it was such a drag, he didn't say anything to the audience at all, he just looked bitter"....

Why go a concert with EC if you want to be "entertained" , you should rather go to a tivoli. EC is a musician, I only care about what he does on his guitar.

But these last very unfortunate outbirsts of him, concerning COVID, makes me don't want to see him again. I don't usually care about the political or personal views of artists, but since this plague is, even right now, is killing 1000s of people every day, I can't forgive people like EC and Morrison, saying what they do. So, no more EC shows for me.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: June 16, 2022 20:47

Erik_Snow
Last time I saw Clapton was about 10 years ago. And it was absolutely terrific. But I heard after the concert from some friends, who also were there "it was such a drag, he didn't say anything to the audience at all, he just looked bitter"....

Why go a concert with EC if you want to be "entertained" , you should rather go to a tivoli. EC is a musician, I only care about what he does on his guitar.

But these last very unfortunate outbirsts of him, concerning COVID, makes me don't want to see him again. I don't usually care about the political or personal views of artists, but since this plague is, even right now, is killing 1000s of people every day, I can't forgive people like EC and Morrison, saying what they do. So, no more EC shows for me.

I've seen Clapton a handful of times over maybe the last 40 years, I don't recall him saying much of anything other than at some point introducing the band.

Although he might have been a bit more talkative during the Blues tour of '94, mentioning who wrote the songs he was playing, I look forward to the new sets of that tour coming out later this month to remind me!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-17 00:56 by kovach.

Date: June 17, 2022 06:14

On the Forums of efestivals website (where I spotted the leaked information of the Stones@HP back in February and reported it here), there is a thread titled, “Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.” A concertgoer named Robinn from the Netherlands posted comments on the gigs he attended last week, and put this;

“Tuesday - Eric Clapton: absolutely amazing”

That is AMS night #1, which disappointed slewan and daspyknows’ friend. Another example of how subjective and personal a concert experience can be depending on each individual.

[www.efestivals.co.uk]

Date: June 17, 2022 11:47

RisingStone
On the Forums of efestivals website (where I spotted the leaked information of the Stones@HP back in February and reported it here), there is a thread titled, “Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.” A concertgoer named Robinn from the Netherlands posted comments on the gigs he attended last week, and put this;

That is AMS night #1, which disappointed slewan and daspyknows’ friend. Another example of how subjective and personal a concert experience can be depending on each individual.

[www.efestivals.co.uk]

haha, he obvisouly didn't notice how many times Clapton sang off-mic and how few solos Clapton did on that night…

Date: June 17, 2022 12:07

slewan
RisingStone

[www.efestivals.co.uk]

haha, he obvisouly didn't notice how many times Clapton sang off-mic and how few solos Clapton did on that night…

Maybe. I wasn’t there. You were there. And he was there, too.

Another comment from his post:

“Thursday - Elton John: great songs, but I didn't like the venue and I couldn't help but feeling he wasn't as good as Clapton.”

Date: June 17, 2022 12:42

RisingStone
slewan
RisingStone

[www.efestivals.co.uk]

“Thursday - Elton John: great songs, but I didn't like the venue and I couldn't help but feeling he wasn't as good as Clapton.”

yeah, but this guy doesn't give any reasons why he thought it was a great show.

Date: June 17, 2022 13:14

slewan
RisingStone
slewan
RisingStone

[www.efestivals.co.uk]

yeah, but this guy doesn't give any reasons why he thought it was a great show.

Not really. Wish he had put them.
All we can see is that it was a great concert for him. And he is a frequent concertgoer (three events last week), no spring chicken for gigs.

BTW he is another poor soul who missed the Stones on Monday. From his other post:

“Was supposed to see The Rolling Stones tonight, was weird to see such a big event get cancelled on such short notice.”

“Let’s hope Mick’s back in action in time for the Hyde Park shows.”

Date: June 18, 2022 22:43

Topi
Two more days until I see him in Tampere, Finland!

How did the show go down? Would love to hear that.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: June 19, 2022 15:10

Yeah man, let us know how was Slowhand in Finland.

Date: June 19, 2022 22:30

Maybe he found the show too disappointing to be worth reportinggrinning smiley

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: June 19, 2022 23:15

Haha no, I really liked it. Eric was in a good mood, too, he said "thank you" after almost every song! winking smiley

The man can still play the guitar, that's for sure. Yes, the singing is a bit sloppy and off-mic at times, but I didn't really mind that much.

I sat a few rows in front of the soundboard and while the lead vocals were a bit distorted early on, the sound did improve.

For "Cocaine" and "High Time We Went" they let the people go up front of the stage so I got a couple of good photos, too.

All in all a very enjoyable night. Good to meet erikjjf too!

Date: June 19, 2022 23:32

Well, good to hear Eric finish the tour on a high (sort of).

And he did play in Finland despite the turmoil.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 20, 2022 03:14

Topi
Haha no, I really liked it. Eric was in a good mood, too, he said "thank you" after almost every song! winking smiley

The man can still play the guitar, that's for sure. Yes, the singing is a bit sloppy and off-mic at times, but I didn't really mind that much.

I sat a few rows in front of the soundboard and while the lead vocals were a bit distorted early on, the sound did improve.

For "Cocaine" and "High Time We Went" they let the people go up front of the stage so I got a couple of good photos, too.

All in all a very enjoyable night. Good to meet erikjjf too!

So glad you had a decent show, Topi! Yeah, the man can play, so good. cool smiley

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: July 8, 2022 03:41

New song: “Pompous Fool”

[www.facebook.com]

Who is?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 8, 2022 04:08

Nice tune. thumbs up

From musicradar.com:

Eric Clapton releases surprise new song Pompous Fool

By Rob Laing

The gritty honky tonk blues track emerges on the day UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson resigned as leader of his party

Pompous Fool

Eric Clapton has form for releasing new songs without prior notice, but unlike his Covid restriction-era vitriolic output, this one finds him hitting his blues stride again in a way that should delight fans.
Pompous Fool's title, lyrics and timing of release on the same day (7 July) Boris Johnson resigned as leader of the British Conservative party (he intends to hold on as Prime Minister until Autumn) is surely more than a coincidence. Clapton even references 'number 10' at one point. Slowhand has been critical of Johnson and his government's handling of the pandemic in the past, but whatever inspired this song its honky tonk zest is definitely an improvement on last year's This Has Gotta Stop and Van Morrison collaboration Stand And Deliver.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: July 8, 2022 09:38

This man is awful.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 8, 2022 13:29

Hairball
Nice tune. thumbs up

From musicradar.com:

Eric Clapton releases surprise new song Pompous Fool

By Rob Laing

The gritty honky tonk blues track emerges on the day UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson resigned as leader of his party

Pompous Fool

Eric Clapton has form for releasing new songs without prior notice, but unlike his Covid restriction-era vitriolic output, this one finds him hitting his blues stride again in a way that should delight fans.
Pompous Fool's title, lyrics and timing of release on the same day (7 July) Boris Johnson resigned as leader of the British Conservative party (he intends to hold on as Prime Minister until Autumn) is surely more than a coincidence. Clapton even references 'number 10' at one point. Slowhand has been critical of Johnson and his government's handling of the pandemic in the past, but whatever inspired this song its honky tonk zest is definitely an improvement on last year's This Has Gotta Stop and Van Morrison collaboration Stand And Deliver.

I love it and I do agree that it is a return to the blues and I find it in very good form . Keep em coming EC !

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4445464748495051525354...LastNext
Current Page: 49 of 58

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1846
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home