Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4344454647484950515253...LastNext
Current Page: 48 of 58
Re: OT: Eric Clapton stuff
Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: June 3, 2022 20:24

Stilllife09
At the end I was more fascinated with the guy on guitar that is playing left handed with right handed guitars. Had never seen that in my life

Doyle Bramhall II — Eric’s sideman on and off since 2004, a force to be reconned with on his own. If you find him fascinating, his solo albums are worth checking. BTW Otis Rush and Albert King did the same when they played the guitar.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: June 8, 2022 00:11

EC's back and playing with more intensity than in previous years, he's 77. Boy did i pick the right musicians and bands from a young age, these old guys just won't give in to age.
Great solo at the end, he hasn't lost his touch.
[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 8, 2022 00:18

Many of Eric's shows are back to back, the stamina of the man and he's just had covid.
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 8, 2022 00:46

I just returned form the Clapton show tonight at Ziggo Dome/Amsterdam.
The show was disapointing. Clapton seemed to be sick or tired or both. He sang off-mic quite often, did only relative few (and mostly boring) solos and let the band play instead. He dropped 'White Room' and let Paul Carrack sing a song that nobody knew instead.
All songs were substandard tonight - execept for Driftin' Blues, the last third of 'I shot the sheriff' and maybe 'Badge', 'Nobody knows you…' was okay, but forget about the rest.
I dearly hope Clapton will make up for tonight's lackluster and substandarrd performance tommorrow…

Date: June 8, 2022 01:10

slewan
The show was disapointing. Clapton seemed to be sick or tired or both. He sang off-mic quite often, did only relative few (and mostly boring) solos and let the band play instead. He dropped 'White Room' and let Paul Carrack sing a song that nobody knew instead.
All songs were substandard tonight - execept for Driftin' Blues, the last third of 'I shot the sheriff' and maybe 'Badge', 'Nobody knows you…' was okay, but forget about the rest.
I dearly hope Clapton will make up for tonight's lackluster and substandarrd performance tommorrow…

I personally think Eric is asking for trouble playing back to back shows or only 2 nights between shows, i expect inconsistencies in performances due to not having enough time for his old body to recuperate.

My heart goes out to you slewan, what a pity you got him on a night where his energy level was obviously down, it's a good gob the Stones have a minimum of 4 days between shows for Mick to re-energise.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 8, 2022 05:36

I saw him in his more "tired" mode once and it was disappointing.

You may well be right keefriffhards, that he's doing the shows too close together, and possibly too many of them.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: June 8, 2022 06:00

It is reported that in Munich and Prague, Eric didn’t get the spotlight throughout the show, playing on the dimly lit stage. Some people speculate he was troubled by the after-effect of COVID, oversensitive to the light.

I wonder what the setlist of the European tour would have been like had he not contracted the virus.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 8, 2022 06:20

I saw him with Cream at MSG on Night 3 when he had totally spent his energy on Night 2. Sucked, cause he was wiped and it definitely affects the show. Just luck of the draw. The shows have always lived and died by his energy.

Date: June 8, 2022 11:18

angee

You may well be right keefriffhards, that he's doing the shows too close together, and possibly too many of them.

It makes me wonder if Clapton feels pressure from his band of musicians to give them more work to make up for not being able to work due to covid restrictions in 2020 etc, hence Eric's trying to make it up to them with too many shows in too short a space of time.

I was shocked when i looked at the tour dates, he's cramming in over twice as many shows in a week compared to the Stones schedule.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 8, 2022 13:47

keefriffhards
angee

It makes me wonder if Clapton feels pressure from his band of musicians to give them more work to make up for not being able to work due to covid restrictions in 2020 etc, hence Eric's trying to make it up to them with too many shows in too short a space of time.

I was shocked when i looked at the tour dates, he's cramming in over twice as many shows in a week compared to the Stones schedule.
Good theory and it makes sense .

Date: June 8, 2022 15:22

keefriffhards
angee

well, he isn't running/dancing/etc. like Jagger…

Date: June 8, 2022 15:48

slewan
keefriffhards
angee

Agreed.

The Rolling Stones are exceptional in having three or more days off between the shows, even among the aging rockers of their generation. See Roger Water’s imminent tour schedule for example:

[rogerwaters.com]

Clapton stands in front of the mic stand, sings and plays the guitar during the show, not moving around. And his show contains a sit-down acoustic set that lasts for about half an hour. On the other hand, Mick is running around for two hours non-stop, singing, dancing and talking, except for the Keith set. That makes a difference.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 8, 2022 16:38

The Stones and Aerosmith have very similar schedules for very similar shows. Clapton and Waters are totally different shows for those individuals (Waters barely sings anymore) and they don't move around a ton. I can understand why they do back to back. I'm shocked at Springsteen's schedule for Europe next year. Thats a lot with no rest for his type of show.

Date: June 8, 2022 16:59

RollingFreak
I saw him with Cream at MSG on Night 3 when he had totally spent his energy on Night 2. Sucked, cause he was wiped and it definitely affects the show. Just luck of the draw. The shows have always lived and died by his energy.

A friend of mine attended all of the seven Cream Reunion shows 2005 (RAH x 4 + MSG x 3). According to him, of the three NY nights, 25 October, the second night, was the best. He felt that half way through the third and final performance Eric seemed to have lost the steam, going through the motions thereafter.

His observation jibes with what you experienced there and then.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: June 8, 2022 18:30

RisingStone
It is reported that in Munich and Prague, Eric didn’t get the spotlight throughout the show, playing on the dimly lit stage. Some people speculate he was troubled by the after-effect of COVID, oversensitive to the light.

I wonder what the setlist of the European tour would have been like had he not contracted the virus.

Liely the same. When on tour the setlist rarely changes. When on tour I have found many (most) shows are punch the timeclock shows. RAH is usually different as is MSG. The shows with Steve Winwood were different in that regard because he had a peer to push him. For those who want to flame me, I have the recordings to prove it.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: June 8, 2022 18:36

daspyknows

Liely the same. When on tour the setlist rarely changes. When on tour I have found many (most) shows are punch the timeclock shows. RAH is usually different as is MSG. The shows with Steve Winwood were different in that regard because he had a peer to push him. For those who want to flame me, I have the recordings to prove it.

Clapton has been like that since at least the early 1980's. Absent peers or something special to get him interested, he tends to phone it in.

In one show I saw at a shed outside Chicago in the 1980's, it was so bad he seemed to phone it in from Vegas.
[iorr.org]

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: June 8, 2022 18:43

daspyknows
RisingStone

Many of you have been to far many more shows than I (around 200), but it is easy for me to see that most are "punch the timeclock shows." When you look at the setlists and the times started and ended, it has become a sterile, packaged product.

I wonder if the Ticketmaster/LiveNation merge had anything to do with it?

I know Pearl Jam has entirely different setlists nightly. Hell, there may be a good chance they haven't played the same setlist twice, ever. Who else (of some fame) does this so drastically?

(Pearl Jam setlists for reference: [www.setlist.fm])

Date: June 8, 2022 20:15

slewan
keefriffhards
angee

Er Eric's a musician, he plays guitar, he's not doing a fitness video for joggers, he's not a ballerina he's an artist and apart from Eric's last show he has played great this year.

By the way Mick doesn't run anymore, he's not even walking fast this tour.
He's actually taking silly risks trying to be Peter Pan with a cardiologist and defibrillator back stage. He has heart disease and needs to stay tight with the band now and relax, i can't be the only fan noticing Mick unfortunately is old and there's nothing he can do about it.

Date: June 8, 2022 20:40

At their ages now we should know we are paying to see living legends, not living legends at their best winking smiley

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: June 8, 2022 20:58

keefriffhards
At their ages now we should know we are paying to see living legends, not living legends at their best winking smiley

Amen!!
I was yesterday also at the Ziggodome and i had a great time. Before the show i was a bit afraid if i could still enjoy it but i really enjoyed his show and setlist. For me it was a solid but a little bit short show. Although he is 77 he still has it for me. Although it was probably his last tour i'm really glad i went

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: June 9, 2022 00:46

keefriffhards
He's actually taking silly risks trying to be Peter Pan with a cardiologist and defibrillator back stage. He has heart disease and needs to stay tight with the band now and relax, i can't be the only fan noticing Mick unfortunately is old and there's nothing he can do about it.

That's quite depressing to read, I thought Mick had found a way to stop the aging process

Date: June 9, 2022 01:57

NilsHolgersson
keefriffhards

That's quite depressing to read, I thought Mick had found a way to stop the aging process

yeah seriously i thought Mick had found some magic potion or elixir or whatever but looks like Keith just stole it from him. smoking smiley

Date: June 9, 2022 19:54

slewan

So…what was the show like on Amsterdam night #2, friend?

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: June 11, 2022 16:46

keefriffhards
NilsHolgersson
keefriffhards

yeah seriously i thought Mick had found some magic potion or elixir or whatever but looks like Keith just stole it from him. smoking smiley

He still runs though, see him go at around 4:00
video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: June 11, 2022 18:18

Eric Clapton - 8 June 2022, Amsterdam, Ziggo Dome - COMPLETE

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 11, 2022 23:17

NilsHolgersson
keefriffhards
NilsHolgersson
keefriffhards

He still runs though, see him go at around 4:00
video: [youtu.be]

Yeah what happened , Mick performed much better at Liverpool, so much more energy, unbelievable, i take it all back, the guy is phenomenal and you can never write him off.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 12, 2022 01:11

bam
daspyknows

Clapton has been like that since at least the early 1980's. Absent peers or something special to get him interested, he tends to phone it in.

In one show I saw at a shed outside Chicago in the 1980's, it was so bad he seemed to phone it in from Vegas.
[iorr.org]

I saw him only once (and I promised myself never again)...it was late 80s I think. Anyway, I think he fell asleep on stage...either that or I fell asleep in the audience. Or maybe we both did.

Question for everyone.

If a tree falls asleep in the forest, can Eric Clapton playing the 90s version of Layla, wake it up?

Date: June 12, 2022 18:42

treaclefingers
I saw him only once (and I promised myself never again)...it was late 80s I think. Anyway, I think he fell asleep on stage...either that or I fell asleep in the audience. Or maybe we both did.

You caught Eric live only once. The man being a typical on/off night musician, it is not fair to judge his potential as a performer from “just one night”.

I saw him more than “24 nights” — 108 nights to be exact, between 1974 and 2022, including the guest appearance for The Rolling Stones@02. I admit I fell asleep once or twice, but most if not all of the times his performance kept my wooly head awoken for the duration of the show.

treaclefingers
Question for everyone.

If a tree falls asleep in the forest, can Eric Clapton playing the 90s version of Layla, wake it up?

You mean, the 90s version of Layla = the unplugged version?

Then no, because it isn’t God’s work.

Date: June 12, 2022 19:01

RisingStone
slewan

So…what was the show like on Amsterdam night #2, friend?

the second show was much better, but still not really great. Clapton wasn't off mic at all this time and took many more solos. Some where really great. The show as partly spoiled by a sing-along audience raised on 'unplugged'. And I can't stand that boring acoustic Layla anymore

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-12 19:02 by slewan.

Date: June 13, 2022 02:59

slewan
the second show was much better, but still not really great. Clapton wasn't off mic at all this time and took many more solos. Some where really great. The show as partly spoiled by a sing-along audience raised on 'unplugged'. And I can't stand that boring acoustic Layla anymore

A friend of mine who has seen Clapton concerts more than 130 times over the years attended Amsterdam night #2. The first time he saw Eric performing at the RAH was in 1990, and he flew over to London every time Eric played at the venue between 1995 and 2019. Due to a personal reason, though, he couldn’t make it to the RAH this time and picked AMS instead. As the information of the initial European setlists came in, his keenness went down, and he went to the show with low expectation. When it was over, he posted an enthusiastic comment on the bulletin board, Eric rocking hardest of the recent years, pushed by the audience on the all-standing ground floor, the most impressive show among those he had caught since 2014 and so on.

Hope this saves the day for you…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-13 04:33 by RisingStone.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4344454647484950515253...LastNext
Current Page: 48 of 58

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1437
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home