Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4243444546474849505152...LastNext
Current Page: 47 of 58
Re: OT: Eric Clapton stuff
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 9, 2022 05:09

From The Telegraph:

Eric Clapton, Royal Albert Hall, review: a pleasing number of fiery rockers amongst the blues and ballads

Slowhand didn't forget his original fans as he returned to touring after three years away
By Neil McCormick

Clapton @ RAH

You could tell Eric Clapton was in a good mood because he played not one but two versions of signature anthem Layla. During a seated acoustic section, the 77-year-old guitar superstar rolled out the warm, jazzy, unplugged singalong version that was such a staple of MTV in the Nineties and seemed to confirm the former firebrand had settled into his position as comfortable middle-of-the-road elder-statesman of blues rock. But then, at the end of his first concert in the Royal Albert Hall since 2019, the audience of 5,000 spontaneously rose to their feet as that sparkling, fluid riff rang out once again, this time on Clapton’s electric Stratocaster. To the effusive delight of the crowd, Britain’s original guitar hero led his seven-piece band into a full-on assault on the anguished 1971 Derek and the Dominos version, complete with blistering solos and long, elegant instrumental coda. The stylistic span between these very different takes on the same song offers an illustration of the poles of Clapton’s career across a lifetime in music that encompasses explosive blues rock and sensitive, easy-on-the-ear songcraft.

Returning to touring after three years following a pandemic mandated break (that we all know the old curmudgeon was no fan of), this latest iteration of his live show confidently encompassed those extremes. There was a pleasingly hefty dose of fiery rockers to sate his original Sixties fan base, including Cream’s White Room, Badge and his aggressive reconstruction of Robert Johnson’s Cross Road Blues. But there was also an abundance of the gentle, melodic grooving that earned him the sobriquet Slowhand and the opprobrium of many critics, including romantic ballad Wonderful Tonight, loose reggae shuffle I Shot the Sheriff and tender if sentimental lament Tears in Heaven. I suspect Clapton’s real comfort zone in his seventies might be a brand of deeply soulful blues, with rich rewards gleaned from River of Tears and Pilgrim (both revived from 1998’s Pilgrim album), and a stately version of Gary Brooker’s Lead Me to the Water played in tribute to the late Procol Harum leader.

There is, nevertheless, something of the bar band about Clapton’s ensemble, albeit a very superior version to anything you might stumble across in your local high street. The tempo only rarely rises above plodding, and there’s lots of noodling, virtuoso blues soloing shared between piano, organ and second guitar. It’s a democratic approach that takes some of the weight off the band leader, although one suspects his audience might have preferred that Clapton assert himself more. When you are one of the greatest players the world has ever heard with incredible material like Bell Bottom Blues and Sunshine of Your Love up your sleeve, it seems unduly modest to encore with a cover of Joe Cocker’s High Time We Went led by Paul Carrack (albeit such a fine vocalist and organist deserved his moment in the spotlight).

Clapton has been threatening to retire for a decade, complaining that peripheral nerve damage in his fingers makes it painful for him to play, but there was certainly no sign of any loss of touch or skill. Whereas most modern guitarists (including talented sideman Doyle Bramhall) have banks of foot pedals to modulate their sound, Clapton relies on just two (some kind of wah-wah sustain pedal and a booster), which is all you need when your audience really wants to be able to hear every artful note you play. Having been one of the more outspoken musical critics of lockdown over the past couple of years, Clapton did not have much to say on stage – which was probably a good thing. There was mercifully no outing for terrible 2021 anti-vax protest single This Has Gotta Stop, although he did perform the more tender Heart of a Child (“they locked you down boy / Made you grieve alone”). Apart from offering thanks for applause and introducing band members, his sole cryptic utterance was “It’s been a hard time,” before playing a sweet, jazzy version of optimistic Charlie Chaplin classic Smile accompanied by special guest Andy Fairweather Low (once of Amen Corner, and a long time Clapton ally). On his overdue return to the stage, Clapton was content to let his fingers do the talking. Thankfully, they are still amongst the most articulate fingers in rock and roll.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: May 9, 2022 11:05

Sorry RisingStone, I was at both shows. We could have met up. I enjoyed them well enough, especially the surprise of two Laylas.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: May 9, 2022 13:29

ChrisL
Sorry RisingStone, I was at both shows. We could have met up. I enjoyed them well enough, especially the surprise of two Laylas.

You could have easily spotted me ‘cause I wore a face mask all the time, one of only a handful that were witnessed on site!smiling smiley

May I ask you some more thoughts of yours on these shows if you please?

[N.B. You may not be able to expect my responses immediately as I will check out and leave London soon, I’m not a smartphone user — sorry about this.]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 9, 2022 13:32

Great review , I really miss seeing EC live .

Date: May 9, 2022 14:06

RisingStone
ChrisL

You could have easily spotted me ‘cause I wore a face mask all the time, one of only a handful that were witnessed on site!smiling smiley

[N.B. You may not be able to expect my responses immediately as I will check out and leave London soon, I’m not a smartphone user — sorry about this.]

I was wearing a facemask also. Were you in the 16th row on the floor, by chance? About seat 21?
I enjoyed the shows, for sure. I thought his voice was a tad weaker than past shows, but his playing was great.
I enjoyed the nod to Chris Stainton by doing High Time We Went as the encore, with Chris doing the count-in.

Date: May 9, 2022 15:37

I was also at both shows (stalls G and O) and agree that Saturday was better - the soloing was more precise and inspired. I also find it frustrating he did not change a single song in the second night. The heading of the set list read 'EC Set List 2022'... I was very happy to go.

Date: May 9, 2022 15:54

ChrisL
RisingStone
ChrisL

I was wearing a facemask also. Were you in the 16th row on the floor, by chance? About seat 21?
I enjoyed the shows, for sure. I thought his voice was a tad weaker than past shows, but his playing was great.
I enjoyed the nod to Chris Stainton by doing High Time We Went as the encore, with Chris doing the count-in.

Hi, thanks, I’m in the wifi zone now.

I was up above there both nights, nosebleed, in the gods, whatever you name it. I spent less than £200 altogether for the tickets.

As I posted, I thought the first night was the better of the two — on the second Eric played as brilliantly as the previous night as a whole, but I felt he ran out of steam or inspiration on some occasions to keep the solo flowing, White Room and the electric Layla in particular.

Someone got the setlist for the first night, in which Sunshine was put instead of High Time. Presumably the last minute change — bummer.

Date: May 9, 2022 16:00

RisingStone
ChrisL
RisingStone
ChrisL

Hi, thanks, I’m in the wifi zone now.

I was up above there both nights, nosebleed, in the gods, whatever you name it. I spent less than £200 altogether for the tickets.

As I posted, I thought the first night was the better of the two — on the second Eric played as brilliantly as the previous night as a whole, but I felt he ran out of steam or inspiration on some occasions to keep the solo flowing, White Room and the electric Layla in particular.

Someone got the setlist for the first night, in which Sunshine was put instead of High Time. Presumably the last minute change — bummer.

Cool. The guy in front of me had a mask, that's why I asked. I only saw about five masks each night.
I was hoping for Sunshine to make it the second night, but I can't say I was expecting it.
And yes, I agree with your take on the shows. I managed to get to the very front when the security let us go both nights, so Layla electric was spectacular for me both times because I was standing right there at the front.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: May 9, 2022 16:01

KeylockSanchezandCo
I was also at both shows (stalls G and O) and agree that Saturday was better - the soloing was more precise and inspired. I also find it frustrating he did not change a single song in the second night. The heading of the set list read 'EC Set List 2022'... I was very happy to go.

having tickets for both shows in Amsterdam it is really frustrating that he's doing the same setlist. On the other hand it's good news that the real (= electric) Layla is back

Date: May 16, 2022 18:35

Clapton caught COVID.
Zurich and Milan concerts postponed.

[www.whereseric.com]

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 16, 2022 19:10

Should have gotten his booster shot.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 16, 2022 19:33

daspyknows

I know you're just trying to rile up because you're totally against him now, but everyone's getting it now too even with a booster. Its a funny headline, and deservedly so given what he's said, but the realism is that it was bound to happen, whether he'd made a big stink or not, because this new strain is just really contagious. I know several people that have got it and they don't go anywhere. So while I relish this headline (of course I sent it to several people who we've joked about Clapton stuff since he went off the deep end), realistically this could be anyone and doesn't have anything to do with his anti stance.

Date: May 16, 2022 20:03

well…
(hard to comment on that)

Date: May 16, 2022 20:14

In the mean time…

Another short US tour fixed:

[bestclassicbands.com]

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: May 17, 2022 00:58

Hairball
From The Telegraph:

Eric Clapton, Royal Albert Hall, review: a pleasing number of fiery rockers amongst the blues and ballads

Slowhand didn't forget his original fans as he returned to touring after three years away
By Neil McCormick

Clapton @ RAH

But there was also an abundance of the gentle, melodic grooving that earned him the sobriquet Slowhand…

I believe the sobriquet derives from how long it takes him to re-string / tune up.

Date: May 17, 2022 02:59

RisingStone
Clapton caught COVID.
Zurich and Milan concerts postponed.

[www.whereseric.com]

That dastardly covid seems to be making the rounds more and more again - whether vaccinated, unvaccinated, boosted, or whatever...
A member of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Golden State Warriors coach Steve Kerr, and quite a few others getting it - starting to lose track of them all.
Hope Eric gets better soon. thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 19, 2022 01:19

RollingFreak
daspyknows

I know you're just trying to rile up because you're totally against him now, but everyone's getting it now too even with a booster. Its a funny headline, and deservedly so given what he's said, but the realism is that it was bound to happen, whether he'd made a big stink or not, because this new strain is just really contagious. I know several people that have got it and they don't go anywhere. So while I relish this headline (of course I sent it to several people who we've joked about Clapton stuff since he went off the deep end), realistically this could be anyone and doesn't have anything to do with his anti stance.

I know someone who is triple vaxxed, had it at Christmas, and now has it again.

Holy toledo, what the hell do you have to do? Mild symptoms though.

Date: May 19, 2022 01:33

I'm starting to see more and more people wearing masks again...and hearing it more and more on the news again....
And reading more and more stories about it again such as this from USA Today...> COVID-19 cases are back on the rise.
And this from Yahoo.com...> CDC urges people to mask where COVID is spiking

Gotta get back on topic though..................thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-19 01:36 by Hairball.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 19, 2022 01:48

treaclefingers
RollingFreak
daspyknows

I know someone who is triple vaxxed, had it at Christmas, and now has it again.

Holy toledo, what the hell do you have to do? Mild symptoms though.

mild symptoms is the key. Just got my second booster. From someone who had it before and after there is a big difference.

Dave Mason just postponed a local show on Friday. Wonder why.

Date: May 19, 2022 17:07

Bologna shows postponed:

[www.whereseric.com]

Date: May 19, 2022 21:57

RisingStone
Bologna shows postponed:

[www.whereseric.com]

"The next scheduled concert forming part of the current tour will be in Berlin on Sunday, 29th May..."

Glad he's feeling OK, and hopefully by then the coast will be completely clear for his tour. thumbs up

Date: May 20, 2022 01:30

Team EC should have postponed Bologna shows together with Zurich and Milan on their previous announcement. There is a week‘s break before Berlin, his next stop. This being the last minute decision, fans have already arrived in Bologna or are on their way. So inconsiderate a move by his management.

Date: May 30, 2022 21:58

The delayed European tour started from Berlin Waldbühne yesterday. In the photos and YouTube footage circulating on the internet, onstage at the enormous open-air venue, Eric wears a down jacket with a hunting cap on his head, looking cold. Chris Stainton is nowhere to be seen. According to a regular poster on the German Clapton fan forum, Chris also got COVID and will be back onstage in Stuttgart, their next stop. Most of the deep cuts they delivered at the RAH are gone, namely Lead Me To The Water, Pilgrim and River of Tears, as well as the electric Layla, presumably due to his absence — hopefully these tunes will be back with him. Thankfully Heart Of A Child is also gone — my guessing is, however, this is because of the unavailability of Andy Fairweather Low who joined the performance at the RAH. No matter whatever the reason, I hope it won’t come back.

[www.whereseric.com]

Date: May 30, 2022 23:00

RisingStone
The delayed European tour started from Berlin Waldbühne yesterday. In the photos and YouTube footage circulating on the internet, onstage at the enormous open-air venue, Eric wears a down jacket with a hunting cap on his head, looking cold. Chris Stainton is nowhere to be seen. According to a regular poster on the German Clapton fan forum, Chris also got COVID and will be back onstage in Stuttgart, their next stop. Most of the deep cuts they delivered at the RAH are gone, namely Lead Me To The Water, Pilgrim and River of Tears, as well as the electric Layla, presumably due to his absence — hopefully these tunes will be back with him. Thankfully Heart Of A Child is also gone — my guessing is, however, this is because of the unavailability of Andy Fairweather Low who joined the performance at the RAH. No matter whatever the reason, I hope it won’t come back.

[www.whereseric.com]

I fear the deep cuts are gone because Berlin Waldbühne and all the other venues on this tour are not RAH…

Date: May 31, 2022 00:15

slewan
RisingStone

[www.whereseric.com]

I fear the deep cuts are gone because Berlin Waldbühne and all the other venues on this tour are not RAH…

Possible. Hard to tell, though. See what will happen when Chris is back.

FYR last time Eric toured Germany and Austria right after the RAH stint in 2019, the setlist still retained Tearing Us Apart and Holy Mother, two deep cuts he had picked in London.

Date: June 1, 2022 11:58

Chris back in action on the Stuttgart show.
Unfortunately the setlist remains a warhorse parade — even worse than Berlin, with Honey Bee and Sunshine replaced with Driftin’ and Cocaine, respectively.

I wonder why Eric spent time for rehearsing the new repertoire, played them onstage fine, and then scrapped them.

[www.setlist.fm]

Date: June 3, 2022 01:19

München show finished. Same setlist as Stuttgart.

[www.setlist.fm]

According to the German EC forum, loud noises happened during Nobody Knows You, and Clapton stopped playing. He changed to another acoustic guitar, but it didn’t work. Eventually he played Smile, Layla and Tears in Heaven with Strat — yes, during the sit-down set!

See the happening linked below:

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: Stilllife09 ()
Date: June 3, 2022 19:08

I was there 12th row and we could not see him as he stays in the dark. Really odd. I mean like no light on him at any moment of the show.

Then the issue happened with guitar, he didn't even start over the song but went straight to the next one. No word no sorry for technical issues. Also during that small break people started shouting to ask for some light.

I have to say I left the concert thinking he was kind of a jerk, doing minimum service for 200+€ priced ticket. Feel like the 500 we pay for stones are a bargain compared to that.

Guitar sound other than that was great lots of bluesy soloing etc..

At the end I was more fascinated with the guy on guitar that is playing left handed with right handed guitars. Had never seen that in my life

Date: June 3, 2022 20:00

I'd wish he shortens his accoustic set and play Layla electric!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 3, 2022 20:18

slewan
I'd wish he shortens his accoustic set and play Layla electric!
Or get rid of the acoustic set as EC is lame playing acoustic . EC can play anything he wants and knock it out of the park . My gripe is we don't get to hear his signature tone and vibrato on acoustic and his sound on Electric is legendary and nothing beats his virtuoso tone and vibrato and killer blues playing . I really LOVE EC SO MUCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4243444546474849505152...LastNext
Current Page: 47 of 58

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1710
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home