Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3738394041424344454647...LastNext
Current Page: 42 of 58
Re: OT: Eric Clapton stuff
Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: December 24, 2021 15:15

Bastion

...purchasers of inferior product...

If you're buying an Eric Clapton album, you're already buying an inferior product.

Blues and Lonesome or From the Craddle / Me and Mr Johnson ?

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: December 24, 2021 15:36

Layla is one hell of an album! His Exile. But after that things went very boring. But I do love Behind the sun (1984).

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 24, 2021 16:28

The Yardbirds, Blues Breakers, Cream, Blind Faith... Eric in the 1960's was bettered by few.

I understand many here - and on social media, seemingly - are hurt by his attitude and behaviour, yet I only care about the wonderful music he made from the mid-60's to, say, 1970. His first album and Layla are both very good, too.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 24, 2021 16:45

EC was a ground breaking guitar player and remains a great musician.
He has made some great records throughout his career [...and perhaps a few not so good]

He has suffered [maybe in a similar way to the Stones ?] in that he was built up so big that the only thing left was to knock him down !

He's probably a flawed character [which of us aren't /] but he certainly doesn't have the malice in him to be guilty of wanting that poor woman to suffer from selling a bootleg .

It's clear from his charitable works with Crossroads etc that EC is essentially a generous guy... and he was probably mortified when he heard what had happened to that lady in his name.

So give him a break folks winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-24 16:47 by Spud.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 24, 2021 16:53

Well put, Spud.
The only things that bugs me is his anti-vax stupidity. It is not the time for a famous person to go public with such things. But if you've read his self-biography, he fully admits that he really doesn't know that much or understand many things in the world, apart from playing the guitar. Even writing lyrics is very difficult for him to do.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: December 24, 2021 17:55

Erik_Snow
Well put, Spud.
The only things that bugs me is his anti-vax stupidity. It is not the time for a famous person to go public with such things. But if you've read his self-biography, he fully admits that he really doesn't know that much or understand many things in the world, apart from playing the guitar. Even writing lyrics is very difficult for him to do.

Exactly. I have supported him despite some of things issues posted here but when he booked his US tour the way he did and when he was donating to right wing anti-vaxxer groups it crossed a line for me. I made the decision then never to give him another cent of my money. I can walk away saying my last show was one of his best over the last 20 years. It was the Ginger Baker Tribute just before Covid hit.

Date: December 24, 2021 19:16

I'm going to rework a Norm Macdonald quote: You know, with Clapton, the more I learn about the guy, the more I don't care for him.

Seriously. Between that racist/xenophobic rant from the 70s and his recent Covid attitudes, now this, it's just hard for me to listen to 'Layla'

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 24, 2021 19:34

Reading some of the recent comments, I am lead to conclude EC is kind to puppies and children and sees himself as someone "whose intentions are good, oh lord, please don't let me be misunderstood."

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: December 24, 2021 20:26

dmay
Reading some of the recent comments, I am lead to conclude EC is kind to puppies and children and sees himself as someone "whose intentions are good, oh lord, please don't let me be misunderstood."

I dont think so..

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: December 24, 2021 20:41

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
I'm going to rework a Norm Macdonald quote: You know, with Clapton, the more I learn about the guy, the more I don't care for him.

Seriously. Between that racist/xenophobic rant from the 70s and his recent Covid attitudes, now this, it's just hard for me to listen to 'Layla'

There’s enough great musicians on that track to forget about Clapton!
That outro piano coda was written by the drummer (possibly Rita Coolidge)
The Intro riff was written by Duane Allman...

For the best of British blues, Peter Green is my go to.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 26, 2021 10:55

I love this song:
[youtu.be]

Thanks Eric!

Date: December 26, 2021 20:26

KRiffhard
I love this song:
[youtu.be]

Thanks Eric!

Thanks Eric for the schmaltz. Keep up the sub standard crap that you have been putting out

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: December 27, 2021 00:52

All of this nonsense from him has allowed me to free up a fair amount of space on the ol' CD shelf, having now gotten rid of...

Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs (1970)
Eric Clapton (1970)
Rainbow Concert (1974) (almost kept for Ronnie and Winwood involvement)
461 Ocean Boulevard (1974)
There's One in Every Crowd (1975)
No Reason To Cry (1976) (almost kept for Ronnie and Dylan involvement)
Slowhand (1977)
Backless (1978)
Just One Night (1980)
Another Ticket (1981)
Money and Cigarettes (1983)
Unplugged (1992)
From The Cradle (1994)
Crossroads Vol.2 - Live in the Seventies (1996)
Pilgrim (1998)
Reptile (2001)
Me and Mr. Johnson (2004)
I Still Do (2016)

I've kept

Blind Faith (1969) (I love Winwood and I can't part with this)
Crossroads (1988) (my copy of the box set is signed by John Mayall)
Journeyman (1989) (Great guests including Robert Cray and George Harrison)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-18 18:37 by floodonthepage.

Date: December 27, 2021 01:14

Good move. I’m doing the same. But I’m not keeping anything

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 27, 2021 01:25

Old Love [1990]---------------------------------------------thumbs up

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 27, 2021 13:17

The conundrum of when we want our idols to speak to us . Then when they say or do something we are mortified . This issue struck Bob Dylan and Jerry Garcia so long ago that they learned to keep there mouths shut , then the aura and mystique of silence enchanted us . It's like getting to peek behind the curtain and hating what we see , same as in the Wizard of Oz !

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 27, 2021 16:04

Schmaltz. An old fashioned word, but so apropos for Heart Of A Child. When I first listened to this song I thought, "shopping mall music." But, I like schmaltz. It's a good word.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: December 27, 2021 17:51

Schmaltz is good word indeed - I had a teacher who defined schmaltz like that: Schmaltz is something you like, but you are ashamed of liking it.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: December 27, 2021 18:24

floodonthepage
All of this nonsense from him has allowed me to free up a fair amount of space on the ol' CD shelf, having now gotten rid of...

Eric Clapton (1970)
461 Ocean Boulevard (1974)
There's One in Every Crowd (1975)
No Reason To Cry (1976) (almost kept for Ronnie and Dylan involvement)
Slowhand (1977)
Backless (1978)
Just One Night (1980)
Another Ticket (1981)
Money and Cigarettes (1983)
Unplugged (1992)
From The Cradle (1994)
Crossroads Vol.2 - Live in the Seventies (1996)
Pilgrim (1998)
Reptile (2001)
Me and Mr. Johnson (2004)
I Still Do (2016)

I've kept

Blind Faith (1969) (I love Winwood and can't part with this)
Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs (1970) (Duane, Duane, Duane)
Rainbow Concert (1974) (Ronnie! And of course, Winwood again)
Crossroads (1988) (my copy of the box set is signed by John Mayall)
Journeyman (1989) (Great guests including Robert Cray and George Harrison)

quite understandable (although I never throw away books or CDs) but I would keep 'Just one night' and 'Money and Cigarettes' – the first because of the great sound and performance, the latter because of personal memories. On the other hand I'd rather get rid of 'Rainbow Concert'

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: December 28, 2021 00:19

Well, all my CD's are in basement storage. Most of what I listen to comes from youtube. Even my flac, mp3 and other downloads are neglected. I have a couple of CD's in the car, last one being Slade on Stage, it sounds awful, like there's no bass and midrange in it. I really liked Till Deaf Do Us Part!

Edit: I listen to quite a bit of radio in the car and music TV channels let run for hours on end. Good to be up to date, now why did they take out the "I'm a rocket man" lyric and replace it with "And this is what I should..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-28 00:25 by skytrench.

Date: December 28, 2021 02:52

skytrench
Well, all my CD's are in basement storage. Most of what I listen to comes from youtube. Even my flac, mp3 and other downloads are neglected. I have a couple of CD's in the car, last one being Slade on Stage, it sounds awful, like there's no bass and midrange in it. I really liked Till Deaf Do Us Part!

Edit: I listen to quite a bit of radio in the car and music TV channels let run for hours on end. Good to be up to date, now why did they take out the "I'm a rocket man" lyric and replace it with "And this is what I should..."

Can I ask what are you talking about?

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: December 28, 2021 03:03

Cooltoplady
Can I ask what are you talking about?

Yes, my post was off topic, sorry for getting personal. Like the rest of my tapes, CDs and LPs, Clapton is packed away and only gets heard via youtube or broadcasts. A response to floodonthepage's post about clearing up space.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: December 29, 2021 14:19

Eric Clapton New Single: Heart Of A Child

[www.youtube.com]

Better than some of his more recent stuff

Date: December 29, 2021 14:31

snooze alert . This tune would be good to put a baby to sleep .

Date: December 29, 2021 15:16

brain of a child

drinking smileyRe: OT: Eric Clapton stuff
Date: December 29, 2021 19:27

highgatehillbilly
brain of a child
Cheers

Date: December 29, 2021 19:33

highgatehillbilly
brain of a child
I have to get a hold of myself and remember 1994 during the tour to support From the Cradle Tour . There were several folks that asked me before the show if EC was going to play Tears in Heaven ? To which I responded I hope not and the dirty looks I got for saying that ! True Story . Someone of EC stature and signature Tone and Vibrato is reduced to bland non descript elevator music when he goes unplugged on acoustic guitar . Versus someone like Neil Young who you can recognize his style of play on an acoustic .

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 29, 2021 19:46

ukcal

[www.youtube.com]

I usually don't say anything if I don't like something - especially if it is not Stones-related - but this time I make an exception: this is really awful. Musically just so boring, meaningless and bland as it can be and lyrically, yeah, Eric seems to have a mission now. Looking at the responds on YouTube, he really have an audience for his 'message'. Idiots need a hero.

He is one of the biggest rock musicians ever lived, and that will never be taken away, but this recent stupid old little man and his pathetic music: why don't you just fvck off. At the moment it embarrasses me for once being his fan. But his legacy is tacit, and all of the recent idiocy does mean no shit (I say to myself). But it's sad sad sad.

- Doxa

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: December 29, 2021 21:40

I have watched that new song/video a couple of times (about all I could stand) - what is the message? Is there a message or a theme/idea to the lyrics?

Thanks in advance!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 30, 2021 01:30

ukcal

[www.youtube.com]

thumbs up

And like the Who, Neil Young, Macca, Van Morrison, Dylan, et al., it's great that he's still producing new material.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3738394041424344454647...LastNext
Current Page: 42 of 58

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1763
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home