Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3637383940414243444546...LastNext
Current Page: 41 of 58
Re: OT: Eric Clapton stuff
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 18, 2021 19:06

Angus MacBagpipe
If anyone had asked me who the most overrated 60’s rock star was I would’ve said Clapton. I could never hear what the fuss was about. With his behaviour recently he seems determined to sink lower and lower. Maybe it’s the first stages of dementia? If it is I feel badly for him.

You’re not to far off. I don’t think it’s dementia but you don’t escape years and years of drug and alcohol addiction without some kind of damage to your brain.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: December 18, 2021 21:47

More Hot Rocks
Angus MacBagpipe
If anyone had asked me who the most overrated 60’s rock star was I would’ve said Clapton. I could never hear what the fuss was about. With his behaviour recently he seems determined to sink lower and lower. Maybe it’s the first stages of dementia? If it is I feel badly for him.

You’re not to far off. I don’t think it’s dementia but you don’t escape years and years of drug and alcohol addiction without some kind of damage to your brain.

I doubt he is suffering from dementia or brain damage and for his age, he looks in good shape and still capable of pulling off a good show and questioning society's directions. In the sixties, he was a top rated, pioneering player who put the lead guitar in the spotlight.

Posted by: calipachangero ()
Date: December 18, 2021 22:19

More Hot Rocks
Angus MacBagpipe

Tell that Keith if you've got the balls

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: December 18, 2021 22:25

skytrench
More Hot Rocks
Angus MacBagpipe

I doubt he is suffering from dementia or brain damage and for his age, he looks in good shape and still capable of pulling off a good show and questioning society's directions. In the sixties, he was a top rated, pioneering player who put the lead guitar in the spotlight.

So could Tony Bennett when he was performing i.e. the final shows with Lady Gaga. I just saw John Mayall who is 88 and can still play great and remember the lyrics, just he couldn't remember he introduced the band before the first song and after the the next two and he couldn't recall he played a song and said they were going to play it again.

The neuropathy he claims was caused by the vaccine was a problem before the vaccine. That is more likely a result of the drug and alcohol abuse. I agree he can still play, that is not in dispute but so can many others into their 80's. They also aren't saying crazy sh!t.

Date: December 18, 2021 22:40

I must be ignorant, but I never noticed Bennett until Gaga (she's pretty damn good) turned up with him a little while back. Sad to hear about Mayall's loss of short term memory. I am not sure how they can be compared to Clapton, who is not demented and is a legendary guitar player. To be honest, I am not a devoted Clapton fan and have only heard his war horses so to speak, and I tire easily of the straight blues stuff he does, but he is entitled to his opinions without being branded as crazy.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: December 18, 2021 23:27

skytrench
I must be ignorant, but I never noticed Bennett until Gaga (she's pretty damn good) turned up with him a little while back. Sad to hear about Mayall's loss of short term memory. I am not sure how they can be compared to Clapton, who is not demented and is a legendary guitar player. To be honest, I am not a devoted Clapton fan and have only heard his war horses so to speak, and I tire easily of the straight blues stuff he does, but he is entitled to his opinions without being branded as crazy.

He (as with anyone) is not entitled to his own facts. What he is saying is false and indeed, quite batshit.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: December 18, 2021 23:29

You really never heard of Tony Bennett? Wow.... Same reaction I would have to someone who never heard of Mick Jagger, Bob Marley or other legendary singers.

Glad you think everyone is entitled to their opinions and using their platform to spew them out to the world regardless of the effect on others. It is also one thing to express his personal opinion and throwing his money behind the movement. Its like falsely yelling fire or active shooter in a crowded theater IMHO.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 19, 2021 00:46

With respect, but outside America this Bennett dude is pretty unknown. No any Sinatra. I think I was kinda aware of musical things, but it took me years to know about him.

People like Jagger, Marley etc. are in a totally different category internationally.

- Doxa

Date: December 19, 2021 01:04

Yes, there is so much beauty out there waiting to be discovered with the right presentation. I could start listening to him, but lack the drive and would probably not be receptive.

Maybe like Clapton's opinions in the media, I could start listening to him, but I lack the drive to that. From the few clips I've seen, he comes across a reasonable chap. If you think Clapton is crazy, that's your right too. Don't we all have delusions?

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: December 19, 2021 01:06

Doxa
With respect, but outside America this Bennett dude is pretty unknown. No any Sinatra. I think I was kinda aware of musical things, but it took me years to know about him.

People like Jagger, Marley etc. are in a totally different category internationally.

- Doxa

Tony Bennett always came in the same breath as Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis etc... He’s well known in Europe.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: December 19, 2021 01:19

Paddy
Doxa

- Doxa

Tony Bennett always came in the same breath as Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis etc... He’s well known in Europe.

I am with Doxa on this one.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 19, 2021 02:04

In regards to knowing who Tony Bennett is, I would suggest it is a generational thing. As a millennial, I am fairly sure that many of my generation will have not heard of him. Why would they? He’s an artist from the 1950’s, performing a genre of music that younger generations are not exposed to regularly. Heck, even many of parents’ generation may know little more than Rags to Riches; even then, even if they know the song, how many - from any generation will necessarily be able to name the performer? I’m sure I didn’t. At this off-the-cuff moment in time, I’m not sure I can name another tune he’s famed for, actually.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: December 19, 2021 06:12

Clapton is a screwball. He’s clueless. For someone that has been around the world. His opinion is of one that lives in a cave.

Date: December 19, 2021 19:07

Clapton’s net worth before lawsuit

$450,000,000

After

$450,000,011

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: December 20, 2021 14:28

MartinB
Paddy
Doxa

- Doxa

I would agree he's well known in Europe, as was Sinatra, etc.

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: December 20, 2021 18:05

I can only speak for France.

Everybody knows Sinatra here maybe with the exception of the younger generation.

But Tony Bennett here had not reached the same fame as Sinatra and I doubt that he is well known.

In others european contries it can be different.

teleblaster
MartinB
Paddy
Doxa

- Doxa

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 20, 2021 19:21

teleblaster
MartinB
Paddy
Doxa

- Doxa

Amongst whom, though? Those over 75?

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: December 21, 2021 07:44

[people.com]

What a @#$%&. Happy Christmas eh!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 21, 2021 10:25

Paddy

[people.com]

"Eric Clapton wins lawsuit against German widow who tried to sell Bootleg CD for $11 on eBay - the woman now has to pay nearly $4,000 in legal fees for both herself and Clapton"

See also here - [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] .

Re: OT Eric Clapton sues German woman
Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: December 21, 2021 15:05

I've been a fan. Untill now....

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: December 21, 2021 15:50

I wasn't aware that the selling of bootlegs was legal.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 21, 2021 16:15

What a w*nker. Being a good guitar player doesn't excuse the lack of other qualities.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: December 23, 2021 18:10

news about Clapton suing a woman after she sold a bootleg recording => [www.theguardian.com]

(just as I expected: the case will be settled…)

Date: December 23, 2021 19:15

slewan

[www.theguardian.com]

23-Dec-2021:

"Eric Clapton has waived the legal costs that a German court ordered a 55-year-old woman to pay, over a single CD containing a bootleg copy of a 1980s concert she attempted to sell. The musician’s management has also issued a clarifying statement in response to widespread social media criticism over Clapton’s decision to take legal action in the first place, saying Clapton was not involved in the specifics of the case and she “is not the type of person Eric Clapton, or his record company, wish to target”.

On 18 December, a Düsseldorf court ordered the woman to pay the legal fees of both parties, totalling £2,889, over the attempted sale of an illegal copy of a CD titled Eric Clapton – Live USA on eBay for €9.95. The woman told the court her late husband bought the disc at a department store in the 1980s. She said she was unaware she was committing copyright infringement by attempting to sell the CD, and the advertisement on eBay was only up for one day.

But when Clapton’s German legal team informed the woman of the CD’s illegal status, she responded: “I object and ask you not to harass or contact me any further”, and “feel free to file a lawsuit if you insist on the demands”. Clapton’s lawyers filed for, and won, an injunction, whichthe woman unsuccessfully appealed. The David and Goliath battle, in which Goliath ultimately won, drew ire from some quarters against Clapton, 76, who was already courting controversy over his scepticism of Covid-19 vaccinations and criticism of lockdowns.

On Thursday AEDT, Eric Clapton Management issued a public statement to address “widespread and often misleading press reports” about the German bootleg case. “Over the past decade a number of well-known recording companies and artists, including Clapton, have engaged German lawyers to pursue thousands of bootleg cases flouting the country’s copyright laws,” the statement said. “It is not the intention to target individuals selling isolated CDs from their own collection, but rather the active bootleggers manufacturing unauthorised copies for sale.”

The statement emphasised that, in Clapton’s case, once it is established that an individual infringement has occurred and he has signed a declaration, he has no further involvement. “If following receipt of a ‘cease and desist’ letter the offending items are withdrawn, any costs would be minimal, or might be waived,” the statement went on to explain.

“This case could have been disposed of quickly at minimal cost, but unfortunately in response to the German lawyers’ first standard letter, the individual’s reply included the line (translation): ‘Feel free to file a lawsuit if you insist on the demands’. This triggered the next step in the standard legal procedures, and the court then made the initial injunction order.”

“Had she explained at the outset the full facts in a simple phone call or letter to the lawyers, any claim might have been waived, and costs avoided,” the statement said. Despite the judge urging the woman to withdraw, she proceeded with the appeal, which failed. She was ordered by the court to pay the costs of all parties.

“When the full facts of this particular case came to light … Eric Clapton decided not to take any further action and does not intend to collect the costs awarded to him by the court,” the statement concluded. “Also, he hopes the individual will not herself incur any further costs.”

Earlier this year, Clapton told Rolling Stone he suffered a severe reaction to the AstraZeneca jab and described the narrative surrounding the safety of the vaccine as “propaganda”. In August he released a song titled This Has Gotta Stop, widely believed to be a protest against the UK’s stringent lockdown laws during the height of the pandemic."

See also Eric Clapton's official statement - [www.WheresEric.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-23 19:41 by Irix.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: December 23, 2021 19:27

slewan
news about Clapton suing a woman after she sold a bootleg recording => [www.theguardian.com]

(just as I expected: the case will be settled…)

They went to court. There was a verdict. Why wouldn’t it be settled?

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: December 23, 2021 19:32

Interesting article. Also just had the Covid booster jab and asked if it was going to be the same as my last two -AstraZeneca.

The nurse informed me that the UK no longer gives the AstraZeneca as it has too many side effects!...this was news to me but not EC.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 23, 2021 19:39

This case should never have been brought forward. I know, as a former paralegal, most cases are settled before trial when they're brought before a settlement magistrate/officer (usually a retired judge), to determine if the case has merit or not and, if so, can the parties reach a settlement before judicial proceedings begin. So, the question is, who decided to press forward with this and why? Surely, Clapton did not need the money. If he did, than, damn, he's poorer than we imagined not just in humanity but finances. Right now, he's doing damage control for his image and reputation.

Date: December 23, 2021 19:50

dmay

So, the question is, who decided to press forward with this and why?

Eric Clapton Management: “This case could have been disposed of quickly at minimal cost, but unfortunately in response to the German lawyers’ first standard letter, the individual’s reply included the line (translation): ‘Feel free to file a lawsuit if you insist on the demands’. This triggered the next step in the standard legal procedures, and the court then made the initial injunction order” - [www.WheresEric.com] .

Before the trial, the woman refused to pay € 100 to Clapton and another € 100 to Clapton's lawyers to settle the dispute - [RP-Online.de] - (16-Dec-2021, in German, paywalled).

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: December 23, 2021 22:30

...purchasers of inferior product...

If you're buying an Eric Clapton album, you're already buying an inferior product.

Date: December 24, 2021 06:18

Bastion

...purchasers of inferior product...

If you're buying an Eric Clapton album, you're already buying an inferior product.

For more than the last 20 years or so.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3637383940414243444546...LastNext
Current Page: 41 of 58

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1694
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home