Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445...LastNext
Current Page: 40 of 58
Re: OT Eric Clapton sues German woman
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 27, 2021 12:50

DGA35

280 million album sold?! So worldwide, he's pretty much outsold every band except the Beatles!

Maybe they've counted every guest-appearance of Eric Clapton on Albums of other artists .... which could then explain the 280 million. winking smiley

Re: OT Eric Clapton sues German woman for 250.000 Euros
Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: November 27, 2021 12:53

ec is in the toilet.
he was never god for me, and now he is dog.
his music was incredibly boring for me.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: November 27, 2021 13:05

Clapton has turned a bit idiotic in his old age. The Stones have always been very relaxed about bootlegs and I think most people who are fans would have at least a few. Only people to benefit from this will be the lawyers and certainly if she hasn't got the money ...well Clapton won't see a penny

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: November 27, 2021 13:15

Same happened to me when I offered a grey market LP on Ebay by Alice Cooper with a 70's radio show on it (which are also sold openly on e.g. Amazon). There's lawyers who got a deal with the management of musicians to prevent such auctions/sales and the normal charge you face is between 300 and 1000 euros. I guess these high figures in BILD and German Rolling Stone (10K to 250K) are theoretical possibilities (worst case scenarios) but I guess they never get charged.
Other artists who sue bootleg sellers on Ebay are Genesis, Iggy Pop and Pink Floyd. But I never heard such thing about The Stones, Beatles or Dylan. It looks like the real cool artists don't give a sh1t.

N

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: November 27, 2021 13:56

saltoftheearth
Yesterday it was in the news that Eric Clapton sues a woman from Germany for up to 250.000 Euros for the breach of his copyrights and his publishing rights. What happened was that her late husband bought a live CD with an unlicensed live recording (from the series LIVE IN USA) which was offered officially in German Stores for about 10 Euros. I also bought that CD back then, and although it was obvious that it was no official product from the recording company it was one of the 'grey' CDs that were offered back then from many artists in many well-known stores and not secretly under the table or in the backyards.

What happened was that after the death of her husband the woman tried to sell the CD on Ebay which reacted properly by removing it from the website after one day because it is against their policy to offer such recordings. Now Eric Clapton's lawyers sue the woman, and the fine can be up to a quarter of a million Euros!

If Clapton would sue some manufacturer it would be alright but what does he intent by persecuting an arguably unsuspecting woman? She claims that she was not aware of doing something illegal because her husband had bought the CD in a normal store. If she was fined for some hundred Euros it would be enough to keep others from selling such CDs but I think it is immoral for one of the wealthiest rock stars to ask for such an exorbitant sum of money forjust trying to sell one CD.

Certainly bootlegs are illegal but for instance the Rolling Stones have always been aware that at the same time they are part of rock culture and helped to make them rock legends. I am ambiguous about bootlegs because as an honest citizen I do not want to support illegal actions but at the same time some of the great live recordings would never have surfaced if it was not on bootlegs. And I am grateful to the Rollings Stones that they always kind of tolerated it - Mick Jagger is known to be an eager collector - because I am convinced that people who bought bootlegs always bought all the legitimate releases as well, as I did.

Recently, one has to wonder about Eric Clapton...

This sounds realy ugly. But I'm sceptic about it. Where can I find the source of the info?
If it's truth, it's one of the uglyest and most redicolous things I've heard about a rock star. But still I can't believe it...

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 27, 2021 15:20

NeddieFlanders
Same happened to me when I offered a grey market LP on Ebay by Alice Cooper with a 70's radio show on it (which are also sold openly on e.g. Amazon). There's lawyers who got a deal with the management of musicians to prevent such auctions/sales and the normal charge you face is between 300 and 1000 euros. I guess these high figures in BILD and German Rolling Stone (10K to 250K) are theoretical possibilities (worst case scenarios) but I guess they never get charged.
Other artists who sue bootleg sellers on Ebay are Genesis, Iggy Pop and Pink Floyd. But I never heard such thing about The Stones, Beatles or Dylan. It looks like the real cool artists don't give a sh1t.

N

not really true – in the 90s Bob Dylan (or rather his lawyers) were amongst the ones who went to Germany's highest court (Bundesgerichtshof) to ban photos of artists on bootleg releases (because there was no way to ban the boots).
They won and some bootleg companies began to put caricaturs of the artists on the cover of new releases

Date: November 27, 2021 22:05

micha063

Where can I find the source of the info?

[www.BILD.de] , [iorr.org] , [RP-Online.de] - (paywalled).

23-Dec-2021, updates in this case - [www.RollingStone.de] , [www.WheresEric.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-23 20:10 by Irix.

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: November 29, 2021 22:10

DGA35
Irix
herself will also not play a role in the verdict.

With 280 million records sold, Eric Clapton is one of the most successful musicians of all time.

280 million album sold?! So worldwide, he's pretty much outsold every band except the Beatles!

NO! Read again what is quoted

It's 280 million records sold so that also include singles (and eps).

Yes before the age of streaming artist were also selling singles winking smiley

Date: November 29, 2021 22:20

I am pretty sure that EC himself is not aware of this story.

Eric talked by the past about bootlegs in an interview and said "at first I a was against people recording my shows. One night I saw someone with a mike and started to be angry then I realised that it was maybe the best show I was performing and without him there would be no trace of it"

Eric Clapton is not the only right holder so several people have financial interest to sue in the name of Eric Clapton. This is a great business for lawyers.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-29 22:30 by ds1984.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: November 29, 2021 22:48

ds1984

Eric talked by the past about bootlegs in an interview and said "at first I a was against people recording my shows. One night I saw someone with a mike and started to be angry then I realised that it was maybe the best show I was performing and without him there would be no trace of it"

Eric Clapton is not the only right holder so several people have financial interest to sue in the name of Eric Clapton. This is a great business for lawyers.

I know he was given a set of my RAH recordings with Steve Winwood.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: November 30, 2021 00:00

ds1984

Mike who? Sorry.......it was too easy

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 30, 2021 00:05

ds1984
DGA35
Irix
herself will also not play a role in the verdict.

With 280 million records sold, Eric Clapton is one of the most successful musicians of all time.

NO! Read again what is quoted

It's 280 million records sold so that also include singles (and eps).

Yes before the age of streaming artist were also selling singles winking smiley

They could count every album/ep/single he's ever done with Yardbirds, Mayall, Cream, Blind Faith, solo and it wouldn't come anywhere near that amount! If that's the case, Stones would be well over a billion!

Re: OT: Eric Clapton stuff
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 30, 2021 00:32

All those sales helped get him these cars.

[www.gq-magazine.co.uk]

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 30, 2021 02:11

More Hot Rocks
All those sales helped get him these cars.

[www.gq-magazine.co.uk]

Wow, he has a Ferrari Enzo! Only seen one in my life, a few years ago on the highway near Vancouver, personal license plate said Enzo F1!

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: November 30, 2021 16:46

During the Ferrari Formula 1 glory years of Schumacher, Todt & Brawn, Clapton would always play a private concert for the Ferrari F1 Teams end of year Christmas party. Rumor had it Clapton was paid off in a new Ferrari car each of those performances. I have a boot of at least one of the performances. Here is a link about one of his performances for Ferrari:

[www.whereseric.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-01 17:03 by 1cdog.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 30, 2021 16:55

Boyz with their toyz. A difference between the rich and the rest of us is that their toys are more expensive.

Date: November 30, 2021 23:12

Personaly I don't care, don't mind about Clapton's cars.
The thing I care about is music.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 30, 2021 23:20

Jeff Beck is a car man too .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: November 30, 2021 23:21

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: November 30, 2021 23:34

Rockman
Jeff Beck is a car man too .....

Yeah and a pretty good mechanic from what I hear too......

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: December 1, 2021 01:25

ds1984

And......? So what if people talk about his cars

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: December 1, 2021 01:48

Don't forget Nick Mason

[www.hotcars.com]

Date: December 1, 2021 22:52

Nothing special everybody is free to speak.smileys with beer

Cooltoplady
ds1984

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: December 2, 2021 06:33

ds1984
Nothing special everybody is free to speak.smileys with beer

Cooltoplady
ds1984

Mammy Cares

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 2, 2021 07:09

1cdog
During the Ferrari Formula 1 glory years of Schumacher, Todt & Brawn, Clapton would always play a private concert for the Ferrari F1 Teams end of year Christmas party. Rumor had it Clapton was paid off in a new Ferrari car each of those performances. I have a boot of at least one of the performances. Here is a link about one of his performances for Ferrari:

[www.whereseric.com]

I feel like Clapton to a degree is similar to Elton John and a few others. They'll kinda play anywhere for the right money. I feel like I hear of Eric doing a lot of private gigs like that. Not judging him either. Unless its for an @#$%&, money is money. Its an easy gig.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: December 2, 2021 15:26

Finally got around to picking up his Robert Johnson tribute album and it’s awesome. Great to hear Billy Preston shredding some blues.

Posted by: Ruskafarian ()
Date: December 3, 2021 22:27

Be sure to get the follow-up too!

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: December 4, 2021 16:43

Ruskafarian
Be sure to get the follow-up too!

[en.wikipedia.org]

Nice!

Is the CD the same versions as the DVD?

Date: December 18, 2021 01:46

Irix

Translation of the Rolling Stone article:

Eric Clapton vs. Ratinger employee: injunction because of 10-Euro-CD

by Martin Schüler, 24-Nov-2021

Singer and guitarist Eric Clapton has obtained an injunction against a German municipal employee from Ratingen. The reason: In July, Gabriele P. had offered the CD "Eric Clapton - Live USA" from her husband's estate for € 9.95 on eBay. According to an affidavit by the musician, the recordings were made without his consent. The [www.BILD.de] tabloid reported that.

"Yet my husband bought the CD in the department store"

With an amount in dispute of € 10,000, Gabriele P. is therefore supposed to pay about € 2,000 for lawyers and court costs. If she fails to do so, she faces a fine of € 250,000 - or even six months in prison. The Ratingerin objected before the regional court on Wednesday: "After just one day, the offer was removed from eBay. They told me that Eric Clapton had complained. The recording of the CD was said to have been made illegally. First I got a warning, then the injunction. But my husband bought the CD in a department store, not under the counter somewhere."

Chances for the employee are slim

On December 15, the court will decide - but the chances of success for the 55-year-old are not very good: According to the judge, it does not matter that Gabriele P. was not aware of the inadmissibility of the recordings. The fact that she did not buy the CD herself will also not play a role in the verdict.

With 280 million records sold, Eric Clapton is one of the most successful musicians of all time. Most recently, "Slowhand" attracted attention with his "maverick" opinion on how to deal with the Corona crisis. - [www.RollingStone.de] .

The woman lost the case on 15-Dec-2021, has now € 3,400 legal costs but plans to appeal again, perhaps all the way to the European Union's highest court - [www.WashingtonPost.com] , [www.TheGuardian.com] .

Before the trial, the woman refused to pay € 100 to Clapton and another € 100 to Clapton's lawyers to settle the dispute - [RP-Online.de] - (in German, paywalled).

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: December 18, 2021 18:53

If anyone had asked me who the most overrated 60’s rock star was I would’ve said Clapton. I could never hear what the fuss was about. With his behaviour recently he seems determined to sink lower and lower. Maybe it’s the first stages of dementia? If it is I feel badly for him.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445...LastNext
Current Page: 40 of 58

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1641
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home