Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3435363738394041424344...LastNext
Current Page: 39 of 58
Re: OT: Eric Clapton stuff
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 19, 2021 19:54

Also is Chris Stanton Bill Wyman double look a like ?

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: November 20, 2021 00:33

Irix
For those in France & Germany: "Eric Clapton: Slowhand at 70 - Live at the Royal Albert Hall" - [www.arte.tv] , [www.arte.tv] , HD-Video - (geo-blocked FR/DE, available until 10-Jan-2022).

Thank you for this Irix, he was in great form, really enjoyed it thumbs up

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: November 20, 2021 01:59

For your information and setting the record straight —

Slowhand at 70 – Live at the Royal Albert Hall was recorded on May 20 and 21, 2015. I was there both nights.

According to Wiki article, it is a recording of May 21. Wrong. Fact is, all of the audio sources (as well as most footage) are from May 20, except that Prerending (only played on the 21st instead of Tell The Truth on the 20th), Let It Rain, Wonderful Tonight, Crossroads and Little Queen Of Spades are from the 21st. On some songs, the visual are edited together from both nights, especially Cocaine — the dancing couple on the front arena are from the 21st.

Not sure about which show High Time We Went, the encore number that is played over the end credit roll, is taken from, though.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-20 13:43 by RisingStone.

OT Eric Clapton sues German woman for 250.000 Euros
Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: November 26, 2021 12:37

Yesterday it was in the news that Eric Clapton sues a woman from Germany for up to 250.000 Euros for the breach of his copyrights and his publishing rights. What happened was that her late husband bought a live CD with an unlicensed live recording (from the series LIVE IN USA) which was offered officially in German Stores for about 10 Euros. I also bought that CD back then, and although it was obvious that it was no official product from the recording company it was one of the 'grey' CDs that were offered back then from many artists in many well-known stores and not secretly under the table or in the backyards.

What happened was that after the death of her husband the woman tried to sell the CD on Ebay which reacted properly by removing it from the website after one day because it is against their policy to offer such recordings. Now Eric Clapton's lawyers sue the woman, and the fine can be up to a quarter of a million Euros!

If Clapton would sue some manufacturer it would be alright but what does he intent by persecuting an arguably unsuspecting woman? She claims that she was not aware of doing something illegal because her husband had bought the CD in a normal store. If she was fined for some hundred Euros it would be enough to keep others from selling such CDs but I think it is immoral for one of the wealthiest rock stars to ask for such an exorbitant sum of money forjust trying to sell one CD.

Certainly bootlegs are illegal but for instance the Rolling Stones have always been aware that at the same time they are part of rock culture and helped to make them rock legends. I am ambiguous about bootlegs because as an honest citizen I do not want to support illegal actions but at the same time some of the great live recordings would never have surfaced if it was not on bootlegs. And I am grateful to the Rollings Stones that they always kind of tolerated it - Mick Jagger is known to be an eager collector - because I am convinced that people who bought bootlegs always bought all the legitimate releases as well, as I did.

Recently, one has to wonder about Eric Clapton...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-26 12:54 by saltoftheearth.

Re: OT Eric Clapton sues German woman for 250.000 Euros
Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: November 26, 2021 14:07

It’s all about the money. Roger Waters would have done it too.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: November 26, 2021 14:54

It's idiotic to sue someone for money they clearly don't have. What's supposed to happen?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 26, 2021 16:10

Clapton is a meandering idiot.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: November 26, 2021 16:30

apparently the one side effect of the vaccine he experienced that he hasn't brought up is the one that made him a greedy a--hole

then again it seems pretty likely he was never even made aware of this and someone else created this lawsuit on his behalf but now that he undoubtedly is aware i would assume he would drop it right

i mean he's not that big off a dick is he?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 26, 2021 16:38

As Eric's close friend and co-covidiot Van Morrison may say, "he's Real Real Gone".

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: November 26, 2021 17:06

is it Eric himself or one of his manager, lawyer, team member ... ? I do not get the point.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 26, 2021 17:14

EC has lost it.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: November 26, 2021 17:43

Strange. Clapton has nothing to be ashamed about. It´s Keith Richards who should try to stop unfiltered live-recordings without overdubs...

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: November 26, 2021 17:50

But he never sued his sound guy/tour manager who sold his recordings to Mid Valley over the years? Where did all the soundboards come from otherwise.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: November 26, 2021 17:55

Bjorn
Strange. Clapton has nothing to be ashamed about. It´s Keith Richards who should try to stop unfiltered live-recordings without overdubs...
sad smiley

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: November 26, 2021 18:01

misterfrias
It’s all about the money. Roger Waters would have done it too.

This would be particularly ironic because Clinton Heylin writes in his book about the history of bootlegs that bootleggers released a record from an Pink Floyd concert at the beginning of a tour within one week, and all four members of the group (including Waters) bought a copy.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: November 26, 2021 19:07

saltoftheearth
...Ebay which reacted properly by removing it from the website after one day because it is against their policy to offer such recordings...

LOL
And for the numerous other ones still listed by numerous sellers ?????

E.C. seems to turn and act like a #@}#@&

HMN

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 26, 2021 21:36

1965 Clapton is God
2021 Clapton is Dog

Re: OT Eric Clapton sues German woman
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 26, 2021 21:50

saltoftheearth

Yesterday it was in the news that Eric Clapton sues a woman from Germany for up to 250.000 Euros for the breach of his copyrights and his publishing rights.

That's not quite correct: there's an amount in dispute of € 10,000 and the woman is therefore to pay around € 2,000 in costs for lawyers and court - failure to do so could result in a fine of € 250,000 -- [www.RollingStone.de] .

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 26, 2021 22:10

Translation of the Rolling Stone article:

Eric Clapton vs. Ratinger employee: injunction because of 10-Euro-CD

by Martin Schüler, 24-Nov-2021

Singer and guitarist Eric Clapton has obtained an injunction against a German municipal employee from Ratingen. The reason: In July, Gabriele P. had offered the CD "Eric Clapton - Live USA" from her husband's estate for € 9.95 on eBay. According to an affidavit by the musician, the recordings were made without his consent. The [www.BILD.de] tabloid reported that.

"Yet my husband bought the CD in the department store"

With an amount in dispute of € 10,000, Gabriele P. is therefore supposed to pay about € 2,000 for lawyers and court costs. If she fails to do so, she faces a fine of € 250,000 - or even six months in prison. The Ratingerin objected before the regional court on Wednesday: "After just one day, the offer was removed from eBay. They told me that Eric Clapton had complained. The recording of the CD was said to have been made illegally. First I got a warning, then the injunction. But my husband bought the CD in a department store, not under the counter somewhere."

Chances for the employee are slim

On December 15, the court will decide - but the chances of success for the 55-year-old are not very good: According to the judge, it does not matter that Gabriele P. was not aware of the inadmissibility of the recordings. The fact that she did not buy the CD herself will also not play a role in the verdict.

With 280 million records sold, Eric Clapton is one of the most successful musicians of all time. Most recently, "Slowhand" attracted attention with his "maverick" opinion on how to deal with the Corona crisis. - [www.RollingStone.de] .

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 27, 2021 01:44

Life is full of changes. Who were once our musical idols and seemingly cool people sometimes become musical clods and irrelevant boors. EC has reached this stage.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 27, 2021 02:03

well, mostly like the court will urge both parties to agree on a reasonable settlement, i.e. an amount that reflects the woman's income.
Beside that in case of a settlement the fees for the court can be reduced.

At already pointed out above: Clapton did sue that woman for 250.000 Euros but for 10.000 Euros

Altgough it's surely not a nice move from Clapton's side – the story run by 'Bild' tabloid and picked up by Rolling Stone (Germany) is greatly exaggerated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-27 02:04 by slewan.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 27, 2021 02:47

slewan
well, mostly like the court will urge both parties to agree on a reasonable settlement, i.e. an amount that reflects the woman's income.
Beside that in case of a settlement the fees for the court can be reduced.

At already pointed out above: Clapton did sue that woman for 250.000 Euros but for 10.000 Euros

Altgough it's surely not a nice move from Clapton's side – the story run by 'Bild' tabloid and picked up by Rolling Stone (Germany) is greatly exaggerated.

Greatly exaggerated it is, indeed.

Clapton did not even sue the woman for 10.000 Euros, this is a theoretical dispute amount set by the court to value the costs of court and lawyers.

What most likely exactly happened was:

Clapton's lawyers sent a cease and desist letter to the woman along with an invoice to cover the lawyer's fees. According to relatively new german laws, these fees must be pretty low as long as it's a single violation usually by an amateur and not a professional business, probably not more than 100 or 200 Euros.

The woman did not sign the cease and desist letter, so the case went to court, which in turn released a cease and desist court injunction, leading to a theoretical 10.000 Euros dispute amount and the according lawyer's and court fees based on this sum.

As long as this court injunction exists, this woman faces up to 250.000 Euros fine (or up to 6 months jail instead) for each violating act if she continues selling this CD. However, this does not happen automatically. Clapton's lawyers have to bring each further case to the court, supply sufficient proof, and the court then sets the fine for each case, usually not starting with the full 250.000 Euro, but considerably lower, however increasing with every subsequent violation.

In any case it's not Clapton who could "collect" these fines, they go to the court and, in this case, the german legal system.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-27 02:50 by retired_dog.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 27, 2021 03:01

So... if she doesn't sell it, nothing happens.

Still. Beyond extremely stupid. Wow.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: November 27, 2021 03:23

treaclefingers
As Eric's close friend and co-covidiot Van Morrison may say, "he's Real Real Gone".
Of course everybody who's not in line is an idiot. And of course everybody in line can call the ones not in line idiots.
That's pretty clear at least since midle age.

Date: November 27, 2021 03:25

And by the way. We german people have experience with that from a more than dark period and from GDR.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 27, 2021 03:59

micha063
And by the way. We german people have experience with that from a more than dark period and from GDR.

Judging by the vote results, the experience is aliver in the former GDR. In the west, people have considerably less problems with extreme leftwing agendas. Simply because they did not experience the GDR - and the totalitarian regime before that is already too long gone.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 27, 2021 07:18

Irix
Translation of the Rolling Stone article:

Eric Clapton vs. Ratinger employee: injunction because of 10-Euro-CD

by Martin Schüler, 24-Nov-2021

Singer and guitarist Eric Clapton has obtained an injunction against a German municipal employee from Ratingen. The reason: In July, Gabriele P. had offered the CD "Eric Clapton - Live USA" from her husband's estate for € 9.95 on eBay. According to an affidavit by the musician, the recordings were made without his consent. The [www.BILD.de] tabloid reported that.

"Yet my husband bought the CD in the department store"

With an amount in dispute of € 10,000, Gabriele P. is therefore supposed to pay about € 2,000 for lawyers and court costs. If she fails to do so, she faces a fine of € 250,000 - or even six months in prison. The Ratingerin objected before the regional court on Wednesday: "After just one day, the offer was removed from eBay. They told me that Eric Clapton had complained. The recording of the CD was said to have been made illegally. First I got a warning, then the injunction. But my husband bought the CD in a department store, not under the counter somewhere."

Chances for the employee are slim

On December 15, the court will decide - but the chances of success for the 55-year-old are not very good: According to the judge, it does not matter that Gabriele P. was not aware of the inadmissibility of the recordings. The fact that she did not buy the CD herself will also not play a role in the verdict.

With 280 million records sold, Eric Clapton is one of the most successful musicians of all time. Most recently, "Slowhand" attracted attention with his "maverick" opinion on how to deal with the Corona crisis. - [www.RollingStone.de] .

280 million album sold?! So worldwide, he's pretty much outsold every band except the Beatles!

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: November 27, 2021 10:01

You would hope he could be more of a class act.

He ripped off Rita Coolidge for credit for composing the coda to Layla. She is out a bunch of money from that.

Date: November 27, 2021 11:15

retired_dog
micha063

Judging by the vote results, the experience is aliver in the former GDR. In the west, people have considerably less problems with extreme leftwing agendas. Simply because they did not experience the GDR - and the totalitarian regime before that is already too long gone.

It's truth, that people in in east germany are more concios of the danger and the mechanism of totalitarism.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: November 27, 2021 11:23

Javadave
You would hope he could be more of a class act.

He ripped off Rita Coolidge for credit for composing the coda to Layla. She is out a bunch of money from that.

Though only Gordon has been credited with this part, according to Whitlock, "Jim took that piano melody from his ex-girlfriend Rita Coolidge. I know because in the D&B days I lived in John Garfield's old house in the Hollywood Hills and there was a guest house with an upright piano in it. Rita and Jim were up there in the guest house and invited me to join in on writing this song with them called 'Time' ... Her sister Priscilla wound up recording it with Booker T. Jones ... Jim took the melody from Rita's song and didn't give her credit for writing it. Her boyfriend ripped her off."[

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3435363738394041424344...LastNext
Current Page: 39 of 58

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1933
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home