Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3233343536373839404142...LastNext
Current Page: 37 of 58
Re: OT: Eric Clapton stuff
Date: October 14, 2021 16:00

Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
terraplane
Eric is a solo artist. Has been for 50 years. Becoming second guitarist in the Stones would have been a step down for him.

But that's what he wanted. Would never have worked, though.

Eric Clapton was so out of it in the mid 70s, whatever conclusion he came to at anything, at that time, was ramblings. When he finally sobered up I'd think he was very glad not to be locked into the Rolling Stones cage.

Especially after his solo career took off smiling smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 14, 2021 17:19

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-14 17:53 by Stoneage.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: October 14, 2021 17:20

Speaking of Clapton joining in the Stones, here is an unknown anecdote that may be of interest for IORRians.

You know the Stones’ proposed first Japanese visit 1973 gone cancelled due to Mick’s previous drug bust?

Back then, there was a possibility that not only Mick but also Keith might have been marked by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in regard to issuing the entry visa. And if Keith, instead of Mick, had been rejected entry to Japan, there was a possible idea that Eric Clapton might have stepped in as a substitute of Keith. Yes, Clapton instead of Keith, not Mick T!

This was no more than a rumor level, but it was actually mentioned in the lengthy article reporting the cancellation of the concerts, published in March 1973 issue of New Music Magazine, the reputable monthly journal in Japan on rock and other types of popular music in general.

Now, take a look at the group’s schedule. The Rolling Stones were to play at the Budokan for five dates, January 28-February 1 (FYI the support was Flower Travelin’ Band, the cult Japanese underground outfit). That was right after Eric Clapton’s Rainbow concert, January 13, his “come back” show that wasn’t to be — it took another year for his full-fledged return to the music scene with album 461 Ocean Boulevard and world tour (including his first Japanese visit).

Imagine Mick performing in front of the Japanese crowd for the first time, Clapton and Taylor by his side and Keith nowhere in sight. That would have been one hell of a night to remember — both in good and bad ways, perhaps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-15 03:58 by RisingStone.

Date: October 14, 2021 17:27

Stoneage
Dandy, I hope you and Erik and other Norwegians on this forum are doing okay. I heard about the horrible attack in Oslo yesterday.
I will follow this on the news. I will erase this message shortly due to forum rules.

Yep, all good here, Stonage - thanks.

A horrible terror attack. All the murders were done AFTER he managed to run away from the police. Really sad and unfathomable.

However, this happened in Kongsberg, not Oslo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-14 17:29 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 14, 2021 17:40

Good to hear. I actually thought Kongsberg was a suburb to Oslo. Thanks for the correction.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 14, 2021 17:55

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
Dandy, I hope you and Erik and other Norwegians on this forum are doing okay. I heard about the horrible attack in Oslo yesterday.
I will follow this on the news. I will erase this message shortly due to forum rules.

A horrible terror attack. All the murders were done AFTER he managed to run away from the police. Really sad and unfathomable.

It should be noted that he managed to run away because the police was NOT ARMED.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 14, 2021 18:00

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

It should be noted that he managed to run away because the police was NOT ARMED.

That's not as stupid as it might sound to the rest of the world, retired_dog. Because of the police being unarmed, a lot of unfortunate incidents have not happened, especially because criminals don't feel the need to walk around with pistols themselves.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 14, 2021 18:19

It's not that Norway can't afford shot-guns, they could afford tanks all over the place if that made things better. There's been a lot of research on this

I know plenty of stories from a family member who was chief police in the 80s and 90s; when sick guys started shooting they only got more sick when "armed forces" got there. But when they sent in either young girls (police-educated) or retired policemen without uniforms (or guns); it always went well.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 14, 2021 19:00

Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
terraplane
Eric is a solo artist. Has been for 50 years. Becoming second guitarist in the Stones would have been a step down for him.

Eric Clapton was so out of it in the mid 70s, whatever conclusion he came to at anything, at that time, was ramblings. When he finally sobered up I'd think he was very glad not to be locked into the Rolling Stones cage.
Yup , like love you have for family that you visit once in a while or if at all . Rather than living with them , which if that's the case pass the Cyanide over .

Date: October 14, 2021 19:17

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

How do we know that?

Date: October 14, 2021 20:15

It is now confirmed that they indeed were armed when he managed to shoot at them and escape.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: October 14, 2021 20:51

Wow! Has this thread really gone sideways.

Jumping the shark type Posts.......

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: October 14, 2021 21:18

I am surprised by this story.

Eric was already asked about taking the seat of Mick Taylor and he answered that he turned the idea down because he needed to be the boss of the band.

The other point to think about is that he was then managed by Robert Stigwood (RSO) before Roger Forrester took over. Not sure they would have agreed Eric to join the Stones...

DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
terraplane

Especially after his solo career took off smiling smiley

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 14, 2021 21:21

DandelionPowderman
It is now confirmed that they indeed were armed when he managed to shoot at them and escape.

Ah, ok. Various previous press reports claimed otherwise. Maybe they concluded that from the fact that norwegian police is usually unarmed. Still, it looks a bit strange to me that he managed to escape armed police, but what do I know?

Date: October 15, 2021 04:29

Er...where’s Eric?

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: October 15, 2021 11:36

RisingStone
“Lockdown Sessions”

[www.universal-music.co.jp]

It seems that Japan has got the information first.
Will be shown at selected cinemas from Oct 8.

Also being shown at cinemas in the UK it looks like.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 15, 2021 13:55

To my fellow EC fans and gear heads [www.youtube.com] Check out the cool Hermes Guitar strap , which is a gift from EC wife Melia . Very minimalist approach to gear these days . No wireless system as it's just a regular 1/4 guitar chord , and besides the Wah pedal he has his Leslie which he uses on Wonderful Tonight and Badge of course . Bummer that they didn't show the Leslie as I would have loved an up close inspection of the famous and vaunted Leslie . I always love these peeks behind the curtain so to speak of my favorite axe masters gear ! So Cool ! Another surprise for me was the tech said his amps are 57 reissue Tweed Fender Bandmasters - not Tweed Twins ! and the Bandmasters are built by none other than Alexander Dumble -yeah that guy ! Whose amps sell for 5 figures as he is a one man operation . So EC amps innards are built from vintage New Old Stock parts and such . Nothing but the best for my favorite guitarist , he uses only one amp live and the second is a back up . Enjoy my fellow gear heads and lastly I love EC big time !!!!!!!!!!!

Date: October 15, 2021 16:42

terraplane
RisingStone
“Lockdown Sessions”

[www.universal-music.co.jp]

It seems that Japan has got the information first.
Will be shown at selected cinemas from Oct 8.

Also being shown at cinemas in the UK it looks like.

That’s a great news! Thanks.
Any more info —- where and when will it be shown?

Date: October 16, 2021 00:15

Date: October 16, 2021 03:01

terraplane
November 9

Showcase cinemas

Hi, thanks!
Only 15 houses, just one night, just one screening...
And no London showing! WTH.
Quite a limited run isn’t it?

Are Showcase Cinemas only venues that show the film?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-16 03:16 by RisingStone.

Date: October 23, 2021 01:15

No idea. Not in the UK.

Wonderful interpretation of Peter Green's Black Magic Woman from the Lockdown sessions:

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 23, 2021 01:47

terraplane
No idea. Not in the UK.

Wonderful interpretation of Peter Green's Black Magic Woman from the Lockdown sessions:

video: [youtu.be]

Yes, that is very nice.thumbs up

Date: October 23, 2021 02:51

terraplane
No idea. Not in the UK.

Yeah, looks like it — in the meantime I searched information myself. I live in the UK, and it takes more or less 2 hours by public transport for me to get to the closest cinema that will show the film, which is annoying.

In Japan, it is shown at 40 cinemas in total, 2 days (shortest) to 2 weeks (longest) depending on the theatres, and some of them screen it twice a day — enough evidence to tell the man’s popularity in the country.

Date: November 1, 2021 04:01

“The Lady In The Balcony: Lockdown Sessionsis” heading to cinemas the UK, Belgium and the Netherlands

[N.B. Extra footage unavailable on DVD/BD included]

[www.whereseric.com]

Date: November 10, 2021 22:25

Been to a Showcase Cinema complex far, far away, on Tuesday evening, as no cinema chain where I live showed the film. I don’t have a car, had to use public transport. The location was extremely inaccessible, it took two and a half hours to get there, by two buses and then taxi for which part I initially intended to use a train, but got off at a wrong bus stop hence no other choice. Had to spend another ten quid. Hate the way the society caters more and more for car owners. Not fair. Of course, I used a train on that section for my return home, coupled with walking a substantial distance from the cinema to the station, and then from the other station to the bus stop. Talk about COP26. Ha!

The room where Lady In The Balcony: Lockdown Sessions was screened was a real good one, presumably one of the best among the facilities of the complex. Gorgeous comfy seats, like first class on a jet plane. There were 87 seats in all, but the one and only screening from 7:30PM drew 8 viewers including yours truly. After all, this is a flick about an aging rock star.

As I mentioned upthread, I have heard it has a good reputation from Japan where the nationwide screening was held a month before (and some theatres are still having a limited showing). Yes it is a good film. Nice, largely acoustic performances by Eric & Co. in the great setting of a magnificent stately home in beautiful West-Sussex. The music was so beautiful that I almost forgot, and forgave, the guitarist’s all too stupid attitude and behaviour that were fully exposed to the public during the pandemic times. The film helped reestablish my faith in him as a class and gifted musician while watching it, at least.

I don’t hesitate to articulate my opinion that this is another landmark masterpiece added to Clapton’s long musical career. And the biggest irony of all is, what brought this event to fruition is a thing he has been advocating loudly against — lockdown.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-10 22:35 by RisingStone.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: November 11, 2021 19:06

I DON’T want to spark any more discussion about political views or the pandemic. But the Washington Post has a long story on Eric Clapton’s personality, how he may or may not have changed, and how other musicians view him.
[www.washingtonpost.com]

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 11, 2021 19:17

Only time will tell what's the truth. Maybe Eric has reached a point where he's decided to speak out. I'm 58 and I can already appreciate this, however I also believe it falls on deaf ears. Ultimately I believe that humanity is supposed to be this way.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 11, 2021 23:50

bam
I DON’T want to spark any more discussion about political views or the pandemic. But the Washington Post has a long story on Eric Clapton’s personality, how he may or may not have changed, and how other musicians view him.
[www.washingtonpost.com]

Thank you for the link. It was a very interesting read. Part of me is feeling empathy for Eric, if not pity, due to the psychological side of it. Eric sounds being a pretty non-social, stubborn, one-track kind of person. But at the same time I agree with Robert Cray that the outcome all of it is that Clapton is "on the extreme, selfish person". Like all that matters is his personal life and his personal experiences that he then generalizes to apply to everything. This is to say he doesn't have an intellectual or moral capacity to (a) to think or respect another person's, not to think of scientific community's going beyond of anyone's personal life experiences, and differing perspective, or (b) to understand the consequences of his talk as a public person. There are small, selfish persons like him everywhere who are just thinking 'me, me, me'. We know those guys. Thankfully, not all of them have audience like Clapton's.

But so what Clapton as a person. He has been and is a helluva musician. One of the greatest of his genre ever. For me his personal idiotism is no problem. Shit, one of the greatest and most influental philosophers of 20th century was Martin Heidegger. For me, and most likely to any sane person who knows anything about these rather marginal matters, it is no problem to see his originality and significance for what is philosophy today despite the fact that the dude had his nazi sympathies back in the day and he even belonged to the Nazi party in the early days of Third Reich. A small person, but a huge philosopher. But unlike Clapton he was not trying to spread or be vocal about the ill-fated politics in his philosophy, so reading Heidegger is a bit easier than to listen Clapton's (or Morrison's) stupid half-assed populist propaganda. But still, the thing Heidegger was associated with is something much more terrifying than what Clapton has ever been.

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-12 03:36 by Doxa.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 12, 2021 00:12

Clapton's an idiot these days, but it didn't effect my enjoyment of blasting Derek And The Dominoes yesterday. Dude can be an idiot and a brilliant legend at the same time. I think its weird and dumb to hold it against him, but I get why some would. He's not a friend, he's a musician I like. I can be disappointed, but it won't affect my enjoyment of his music.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: November 12, 2021 01:44

RollingFreak
Clapton's an idiot these days, but it didn't effect my enjoyment of blasting Derek And The Dominoes yesterday. Dude can be an idiot and a brilliant legend at the same time. I think its weird and dumb to hold it against him, but I get why some would. He's not a friend, he's a musician I like. I can be disappointed, but it won't affect my enjoyment of his music.

I generally agree but I will not buy any more of his music, concert tickets or anything that benefits him. I will make my overseas trip to see The Stones (hopefully), Robert Plant, The Eagles and a few others in June/July rather than Clapton and Nick Mason in May especially since I have Nick Mason tickets at home in February. If my last Clapton show was the Ginger Baker Tribute I am good with it.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3233343536373839404142...LastNext
Current Page: 37 of 58

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1822
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home