Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940...LastNext
Current Page: 35 of 58
Re: OT: Eric Clapton stuff
Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: October 11, 2021 15:34

MisterDDDD
Rocktiludrop
MisterDDDD

Why do you always post something horrible and then delete it, be a man, if you have something to say leave it there so i can reply to it when i have the time in a civil manner.

Im tired of this thread being trolled, can we please be allowed to discuss Eric Claptons music without covid and politics ruining the convention .

Like the Stones, Clapton is back and he's on fire again, put your jealousy aside and respect the best guitarist ever excluding Hendrix.

Wasn't horrible you moron.

Was a link to an article that I subsequently (look it up) deleted as it was already posted.

Son.

You are always doing it

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 11, 2021 15:46

Rocktiludrop
You are always doing it

Lol.
Yeah.. I get a real issue here with not speaking my mind.

Not looking for a beef son, as much as you'd like one.
Enjoy the tour.. it's a great one!!

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: October 11, 2021 17:46

[N.B. Repost from upthread]

In the meantime —

In Japan, the public screening of Lady In The Balcony: Lockdown Sessions started on October 8. It is a limited run at selected cinemas, 2 to 7 days’ period depending on the houses. As I reported upthread [on p. 27], the on-cinema version has more than 15-mins extra, rehearsals, behind-the-scene shots, interviews etc. that is not included in the forthcoming DVD/BD releases. I haven’t heard that this is, or will be, shown at cinemas anywhere else in the world but Japan, expanded version or not.

I have seen some comments from fans on Twitter and other social media, and all of them give it a maximum praise without one exception. I translate and quote some examples below;

“The performance and the visual, both absolutely incredible!”

“It was much better than I had imagined. I can’t get enough of this. I want to watch it at the cinema one more time.”

“I didn’t expect much but it was surprisingly good. The contents [of the on-cinema version] contain the conversations of the members, Eric’s comments etc, which will not be included in the DVD/BD. Don’t miss it!”

“Frankly, I was so appalled and disgusted by Eric’s statements nowadays surrounding the coronavirus and the vaccination that I have decided against going to his concert if a Japan tour materializes next year onwards...after watching this flick, I am thinking twice, and I might be going. Eric loves playing so much with his buddies.”

From the comments, I get the impression that this is far better than Unplugged (which I am not a big fan of).

The performance and the shooting were done in Cowdray House, a 13th century stately home in the West Sussex countryside.

[www.cowdray.co.uk]

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 11, 2021 18:41

MisterDDDD
Rocktiludrop
You are always doing it

Lol.
Yeah.. I get a real issue here with not speaking my mind.

Not looking for a beef son, as much as you'd like one.
Enjoy the tour.. it's a great one!!

I respect that, sorry for my mistake, yeah enjoy the tour, we are blessed this time, its a dream come true

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: October 11, 2021 22:22

daspyknows
Eric Clapton Isn't Just Spouting Vaccine Nonsense—He's Bankrolling It

Eric Clapton went from setting the standard for rock guitar to making ‘full-tilt’ racist rants to becoming an outspoken vaccine skeptic. Did he change? Or was he always like this?

[www.rollingstone.com]

It's all good! Eric is doing great these days and so are the Rolling Stones. And don't forget Van Morrison. You can boycott him too. If Eric is so racist, then how come Nathan East is playing bass in his band? Plus has been a long time associate of EC?

Date: October 11, 2021 22:31

Rocktiludrop
triceratops
Rocktiludrop
MartinB
I don't think Eric would agree with this, given his history with JJ and his songs

Eric's a gentleman, I'm not.

Seriously though Eric's a modest man, he's not going to turn round and claim his own version is better.

This is everything but boring.
[m.youtube.com]

Great video I have never seen before.. From 2008 Eric is very energized and Steve Winwood is cooking on B-3 organ. Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood - After Midnight (Live from Madison Square Garden 2008)

Yeah that one blew me away too, inspired solo, he and Winwood compliment each other so well, that smile from Eric at the end said it all.

AS far as I am concerned, the best stuff Eric has done in recent years has been his string of concerts with Steve Winwood. I have always been a huge fan of both. I saw Traffic way back when and Cream too. I was at a Jimi Henrix concert at Filmore East and he was really flying on some serious "stuff". For a goof he played the guitar into to "Sunshine of Your love" a few times. I know that Clapton and Hendrix were in awe of each other.

Too bad Eric and Winwood only toured together for about three years, starting in 2008. It was the best Clapton has been in this century. To my taste of course! I loved the way they revisited their old material. And did it better than the originals from Traffic, Blind Faith, Cream etc / And Eric's solo career. Dear Mr Fantasy indeed!

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: October 11, 2021 23:59

Yes that DVD of Clapton and Winwood is sensational. The Sunshine of Your Love is maybe a reference to Hendrix covering that song which you can find on the Live At winterland set.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: October 12, 2021 00:00

RisingStone
[N.B. Repost from upthread]

In the meantime —

In Japan, the public screening of Lady In The Balcony: Lockdown Sessions started on October 8. It is a limited run at selected cinemas, 2 to 7 days’ period depending on the houses. As I reported upthread [on p. 27], the on-cinema version has more than 15-mins extra, rehearsals, behind-the-scene shots, interviews etc. that is not included in the forthcoming DVD/BD releases. I haven’t heard that this is, or will be, shown at cinemas anywhere else in the world but Japan, expanded version or not.

I have seen some comments from fans on Twitter and other social media, and all of them give it a maximum praise without one exception. I translate and quote some examples below;

“The performance and the visual, both absolutely incredible!”

“It was much better than I had imagined. I can’t get enough of this. I want to watch it at the cinema one more time.”

“I didn’t expect much but it was surprisingly good. The contents [of the on-cinema version] contain the conversations of the members, Eric’s comments etc, which will not be included in the DVD/BD. Don’t miss it!”

“Frankly, I was so appalled and disgusted by Eric’s statements nowadays surrounding the coronavirus and the vaccination that I have decided against going to his concert if a Japan tour materializes next year onwards...after watching this flick, I am thinking twice, and I might be going. Eric loves playing so much with his buddies.”

From the comments, I get the impression that this is far better than Unplugged (which I am not a big fan of).

The performance and the shooting were done in Cowdray House, a 13th century stately home in the West Sussex countryside.

[www.cowdray.co.uk]

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks for this. Everything I have heard from the Lockdown Sessions sounds sublime. Didn't know it was being shown at cinemas.

Date: October 12, 2021 00:30

triceratops
Rocktiludrop
triceratops
Rocktiludrop
MartinB
I don't think Eric would agree with this, given his history with JJ and his songs

Eric's a gentleman, I'm not.

Seriously though Eric's a modest man, he's not going to turn round and claim his own version is better.

This is everything but boring.
[m.youtube.com]

Great video I have never seen before.. From 2008 Eric is very energized and Steve Winwood is cooking on B-3 organ. Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood - After Midnight (Live from Madison Square Garden 2008)

Yeah that one blew me away too, inspired solo, he and Winwood compliment each other so well, that smile from Eric at the end said it all.

AS far as I am concerned, the best stuff Eric has done in recent years has been his string of concerts with Steve Winwood. I have always been a huge fan of both. I saw Traffic way back when and Cream too. I was at a Jimi Henrix concert at Filmore East and he was really flying on some serious "stuff". For a goof he played the guitar into to "Sunshine of Your love" a few times. I know that Clapton and Hendrix were in awe of each other.

Too bad Eric and Winwood only toured together for about three years, starting in 2008. It was the best Clapton has been in this century. To my taste of course! I loved the way they revisited their old material. And did it better than the originals from Traffic, Blind Faith, Cream etc / And Eric's solo career. Dear Mr Fantasy indeed!

Can't get it on youtube at the moment but Winwood and Clapton playing Little Wing is beyond words, such a soulful solo.
I go back to Hendrix playing it and it's empty in comparison.
Yeah just love those shows with Winwood bringing the very best out of Clapton.

Date: October 12, 2021 03:46

Rocktiludrop

Can't get it on youtube at the moment but Winwood and Clapton playing Little Wing is beyond words, such a soulful solo.
I go back to Hendrix playing it and it's empty in comparison.
Yeah just love those shows with Winwood bringing the very best out of Clapton.

I was going to mention the Clapton/Winwood version of Jimi Hendrix's Little Wing. Done better than Hendrix. They did this as part of their tribute to the good old days when all three were out and about in London and Greenwich Village in New York

I saved the Liittle Wing audio from you tube a few years ago. It is on me Sansa Clip MP3 player and on a SSD drive up on the shelf. BTW this is a great program to extract MP3 from you tube. EXTRACT MP3 >> [www.4kdownload.com]

Same people have a Windows program for downloading video from you tube and some other video hosting places such as BitChute

Sansa Clip is good if you take a walk and want to hear some music or plug it into your automobile’s audio via USB. Sansa is great for podcasts too because it will automatically bookmark where you left off on say a two hour podcast. Grab podcast from you tube or other places.

Date: October 12, 2021 04:58

terraplane
Thanks for this. Everything I have heard from the Lockdown Sessions sounds sublime. Didn't know it was being shown at cinemas.

Like I mentioned in my post, as far as I know, public screening of Lockdown Sessions at cinemas is happening exclusively in Japan for some reason or other.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: October 12, 2021 11:05

triceratops
daspyknows

Eric Clapton went from setting the standard for rock guitar to making ‘full-tilt’ racist rants to becoming an outspoken vaccine skeptic. Did he change? Or was he always like this?

[www.rollingstone.com]

It's all good! Eric is doing great these days and so are the Rolling Stones. And don't forget Van Morrison. You can boycott him too. If Eric is so racist, then how come Nathan East is playing bass in his band? Plus has been a long time associate of EC?

It is a known fact that a racist never lets a black man work for him.confused smiley

If you support Enoch Powell well into the 90s, and he probably still does, you’re pretty racist. This on top of his Birmingham rant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-12 11:23 by BowieStone.

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: October 12, 2021 14:18

My opinion is that Eric Clapton's racism is not deeply attached to the color of the skin but had the "Britain invaded by foreigners" feels.

Nathan East is not an emigrate but an american born citizen and problably originated from slave ancestry. Different history.

triceratops
daspyknows

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: October 12, 2021 17:08

BowieStone
triceratops
daspyknows

[www.rollingstone.com]

It is a known fact that a racist never makes a black man work for him.confused smiley

If you support Enoch Powell well into the 90s, and he probably still does, you’re pretty racist. This on top of his Birmingham rant.

We have had this conversation on this thread many times, Claptons heroes are black, he has black musicians and friends that have worked with him for decades, clearly he is not a racist.

Enoch wasn't a racist either, please research people before you draw ignorant uneducated conclusions, Powell was warning British people about the problems that will occur as a consequence of mass immigration.
You only have to look at inner cities in England today to see he was right.

Happy trolling BowieStone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-12 19:45 by Rocktiludrop.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: October 12, 2021 19:46

Rocktiludrop
BowieStone
triceratops
daspyknows

[www.rollingstone.com]

It is a known fact that a racist never makes a black man work for him.confused smiley

We have had this conversation on this thread many times, Claptons heroes are black, he has black musicians and friends that have worked with him for decades, clearly he is not a racist.

Enock wasn't a racist either, please research people before you draw ignorant uneducated conclusions, Powell was warning British people about the problems that will occur as a consequence of mass immigration.

A racist never says they are racist. A racist will never call anyone else a racist but will work hard to justify racist behavior. A person's actions and words show it whether or a not a person is racist. If someone is telling us Enoch Powell or David Duke is not a racist their words answer that question.

Having black friends/bandmates/employees does not mean a person is not a racist either. Anyone who believes that can't see racism if it hit them in the face and is just ignorant and needs to research the topic.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: October 12, 2021 20:21

daspyknows
Rocktiludrop
BowieStone
triceratops
daspyknows

[www.rollingstone.com]

Enock wasn't a racist either, please research people before you draw ignorant uneducated conclusions, Powell was warning British people about the problems that will occur as a consequence of mass immigration.

A racist never says they are racist. A racist will never call anyone else a racist but will work hard to justify racist behavior. A person's actions and words show it whether or a not a person is racist. If someone is telling us Enoch Powell or David Duke is not a racist their words answer that question.

Having black friends/bandmates/employees does not mean a person is not a racist either. Anyone who believes that can't see racism if it hit them in the face and is just ignorant and needs to research the topic.

I didn’t see you deny what he said about English inner cities today and whst immigration has done to them.
Just more you are racist gobble google.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 12, 2021 20:33

daspyknows
Rocktiludrop
BowieStone
triceratops
daspyknows

[www.rollingstone.com]

Nah, ignorance is someone that notes someone's stance that one doesn't like, then goes and researches that person's comments from 50 years ago and keeps bringing it up over & over as if said yesterday. And furthermore, that one assumes that person can never feel differently for the rest of their existence Except ...if said guilty party would adhere to that one's so-called standards for today's issues, then that one would never have cared about the 50-year-ago issues in the first place.

Not sure i follow all that myself, lol, but it seems pretty ignorant if you ask me!

Date: October 12, 2021 22:42

From circumstantial evidence, there is no doubt that Clapton made a racial slur and announced his support for Enoch Powell during his concert in Birmingham, August 5, 1976 — some 45 years ago. There is no denying that this is the biggest disgrace he brought upon himself in his entire career, and I think it is fair to claim that he deserves the valid criticism for his behavior that night.

On the other hand, however, as I made clear upthread in the debate surrounding his faux pas, no audio recording of his speech from the night exists — or it has not yet surfaced in the public, at least. Given the circumstances, criticizing him solely on the basis of the infamous, unwarranted “quote” widely spread through the internet and shared among the general public may well easily fall into an act of unfairness. To me, such a demeanor often tells more about the critics than the validity of the points they offer — i.e. more often than not they give me an impression that they don’t like the man in the first place, and take advantage of the incident for the purpose of bashing him.

As is often remarked, statements like, “I have black friends”, “I dated a black woman” etc. do not guarantee that the speaker is free from racism — they can be easy excuses to cover that up. And some may find Clapton hiring black bandmates no excuse for his intrinsic racism.

Be that as it may, below is a non-complete list of the black musicians who have played in his records and/or joined as tour members over the years [in alphabetical order of family names]:

Tim Carmon (keyboardist/American)
Chyna (backing singer/British)
Kenneth Crouch (keyboardist/American)
Paulinho Da Costa (percussionist/Brazilian)
Nathan East (bassist/American)
Steve Ferrone (drummer/British)
Gina Foster (backing singer/British)
Charlean Hines (backing singer/American)
The Impressions (backing as well as featured singers/American)
Steve Jordan (drummer/American)
Katie Kissoon (backing singer/British)
Abe Laboriel Jr. (drummer/American)
Ricky Lawson (drummer/American)
Marcus Miller (bassist/American)
Greg Phillinganes (keyboardist/American)
Billy Preston (keyboardist and singer/American)
David Sancious (keyboardist and guitarist/American)
Willie Weeks (bassist/American)
Sharon White (backing singer/British)

In addition to them, as I’m sure many folks here are aware, Clapton has played with a number of famed black musicians all through his career, on stage or in the studio, one-off or a number of times, e.g. Sonny Boy Williamson ll, Howlin’ Wolf, Muddy Waters, B. B. King, Freddy King, Otis Rush, Buddy Guy, John Lee Hooker, Jimmy Rogers, Johnnie Johnson, Albert Collins, Aretha Franklin, Tina Turner, “Rebop” Kwaku Baah, Robert Cray, Babyface, Robert Randolph, Gary Clark Jr., Nile Rodgers to name a few.

Some of them are, sadly, no longer with us, but anyway, I’d like to ask these people what they make of Clapton, and — God or Buddha forgive me — his racial “attitude” if I am allowed to do. I’d rather make much of their opinions than anti-Slowhanders.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-13 12:42 by RisingStone.

Date: October 12, 2021 23:00

LeonidP
daspyknows
Rocktiludrop
BowieStone
triceratops
daspyknows

[www.rollingstone.com]

Nah, ignorance is someone that notes someone's stance that one doesn't like, then goes and researches that person's comments from 50 years ago and keeps bringing it up over & over as if said yesterday. And furthermore, that one assumes that person can never feel differently for the rest of their existence Except ...if said guilty party would adhere to that one's so-called standards for today's issues, then that one would never have cared about the 50-year-ago issues in the first place.

Not sure i follow all that myself, lol, but it seems pretty ignorant if you ask me!

No one asked you.

Hanging out with Governor Abbott in Austin (Texas' Enoch Powell) must count for something.

Date: October 12, 2021 23:14

Thank you RisingStone for going to the trouble to explain with clarity why Eric's one moment of drunken behaviour doesn't define a man for life , it's about forgiveness, i forgave Eric decades ago, i understand drunken behaviour and i understand where Eric was coming from at the time and still to this day understand his sentiments and concerns.
Not just England but all white Europeans will become a tiny minority in their own Countries in the fullness of time.
I often wonder when we become tiny minorities in our countries will we be treated with the same care, compassion and respect that we show towards black people today ?

All over the world through the media we see so many white people calling out white racist, it's admirable, i wonder if black people will defend white people with the same passion and vigour when we undoubtedly become vulnerable like whites are in South Africa today.

I don't suppose anyone will care about us inherently evil racist white people, i suspect we will all get what we are asking for.

Date: October 12, 2021 23:17

daspyknows
LeonidP
daspyknows
Rocktiludrop
BowieStone
triceratops
daspyknows

[www.rollingstone.com]

No one asked you.

Hanging out with Governor Abbott in Austin (Texas' Enoch Powell) must count for something.

Odd, didn't see where anyone asked you.

So guilt by association? Shouldn't they arrest the Beach Boys for murder ... they were known to hang around w/ Charles Manson.
Yeah, you're real bright, haha...

Date: October 12, 2021 23:21

Common sense from you, Rocktiludrop! Demographics is destiny. Everyone knows this, either consciously or subliminally. The exact well known quote is, “demography is destiny”.

Date: October 13, 2021 03:54

LeonidP
daspyknows
LeonidP
daspyknows
Rocktiludrop
BowieStone
triceratops
daspyknows

[www.rollingstone.com]

No one asked you.

So guilt by association? Shouldn't they arrest the Beach Boys for murder ... they were known to hang around w/ Charles Manson.

No one asked you....

Not guilt by association but similar views on various controversial issues. You either don't get that or they are your views as well.

Coming from a burnt out bulb I am really bright. What proof do you have that the Beach Boys were complicit with the Manson family or are you just making up more nonsense?

Date: October 13, 2021 07:12

daspyknows
LeonidP
daspyknows
LeonidP
daspyknows
Rocktiludrop
BowieStone
triceratops
daspyknows

[www.rollingstone.com]

No one asked you.

No one asked you....

Not guilt by association but similar views on various controversial issues. You either don't get that or they are your views as well.

Coming from a burnt out bulb I am really bright. What proof do you have that the Beach Boys were complicit with the Manson family or are you just making up more nonsense?

No one asked you ... No one needs to ask me, its a forum for posting.
You are convicting via guilt by association, just read your posts (if you can read).

Beach Boys / Manson ... try reading a book or even a google search (again, if you can read).

Date: October 13, 2021 07:57

LeonidP
daspyknows
LeonidP
daspyknows
LeonidP
daspyknows
Rocktiludrop
BowieStone
triceratops
daspyknows

[www.rollingstone.com]

No one asked you.

No one asked you....

No one asked you ... No one needs to ask me, its a forum for posting.
You are convicting via guilt by association, just read your posts (if you can read).

Beach Boys / Manson ... try reading a book or even a google search (again, if you can read).

Oh I can read, but why would that matter to you. Your reading comprehension is that of a two year old and you just make crap up. Nobody has been convicted of anything, but then throwing out legal terms must make you feel smart. Sorry, not working.

Honestly I don't care much about the Beach Boys or your sponge whether its the 60's or any time since. Thus I have no need to read or google anything about the topic. You are welcome to do it yourself though.

So humor me. Who is guilty by association? Clapton? Abbott? You?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-13 07:59 by daspyknows.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 13, 2021 08:41

Enoch Powell held views that were very-much shared amongst much of the UK’s population at the time. His infamous ‘rivers of blood’ speech is polarising, yet important. Racist or not, there are truths within some of what he said. A side point: it was actually Powell who bought many immigrants over to work in the National Health Service.

Whatever his views, to compare Powell to David Duke is a tad ridiculous. Powell was a Member of Parliament, who was largely respected prior to his speech.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-13 08:45 by Big Al.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 13, 2021 11:54

Over to After Midnight, I never did care that much for Clapton's versions, compared to JJ Cale, unlike other Cale-covers he has done.
But, when hearing the Baloise 2013 version of After Midnight....that's the best arrangement yet

starts at 24:45 here

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 13, 2021 12:11

Erik_Snow
Over to After Midnight, I never did care that much for Clapton's versions, compared to JJ Cale, unlike other Cale-covers he has done.
But, when hearing the Baloise 2013 version of After Midnight....that's the best arrangement yet

starts at 24:45 here

[www.youtube.com]

That was fantastic thanks Erik, definitely a great find, hadn't seen this show before, Clapton varies the tempo of his songs over the years, one of the reasons i gave up on him for a long time was because he slowed everything down too much for my liking.

Agreed this version has the perfect arrangements.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 13, 2021 14:43

Clapton IMO is not the greatest guitarist this side of Hendrix. In the 1960s there was Jeff Beckand Othefs, in the 1970s , Mick Taylor, in the 1980s, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Joe Satriani,Van Halen, and so on

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 13, 2021 14:52

Taylor1
Clapton IMO is not the greatest guitarist this side of Hendrix. In the 1960s there was Jeff Beckand Othefs, in the 1970s , Mick Taylor, in the 1980s, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Joe Satriani,Van Halen, and so on

Beck was, and is, a virtuoso with few equals. For me, however, Eric Clapton performs the blues with more skill and authenticity than most; other than the original blues-masters, of course.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940...LastNext
Current Page: 35 of 58

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1549
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home