Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 58
Re: OT: Eric Clapton stuff
Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: August 28, 2021 04:51

slewan
terraplane
New Eric Clapton tune. I like it:

This Has Gotta Stop
video: [youtu.be]

this is neither the place to talk about the lyrics or the message of that song. But from a purely musical perspective: no one will remember that songs, just poor music

I have made no comment about the message. Musically I like it.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 28, 2021 04:56

I thought it was pretty good also - thankful and glad Clapton's still productive and readily willing to share his creativity with the world.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 28, 2021 11:33

terraplane
slewan
terraplane
New Eric Clapton tune. I like it:

This Has Gotta Stop
video: [youtu.be]

this is neither the place to talk about the lyrics or the message of that song. But from a purely musical perspective: no one will remember that songs, just poor music

I have made no comment about the message. Musically I like it.

I didn't (want to) say that you made a comment about the message. I just wanted to point out that I don't want to judge the song because of its message.
And I still think the song is boring.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: August 28, 2021 22:56

Not only do I find the song boring but an artist that must resort to using/writing swear words in the lyrics of a song clearly is lacking in the creativity department.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: August 28, 2021 23:15

1cdog
Not only do I find the song boring but an artist that must resort to using/writing swear words in the lyrics of a song clearly is lacking in the creativity department.

LOL You do realize this is a Rolling Stones site? "Star Star", etc.? Or are you being sarcastic?

Regarding the lyrics, everyone take a deep breath and give being an internet police officer a rest for a change.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: August 29, 2021 04:17

His creative juices have evaporated.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 29, 2021 05:05

daspyknows
His creative juices have evaporated.

I was thinking the same thing.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 29, 2021 05:59

He hasn't put out good original music in awhile and I wasn't assuming that would start now. Clearly it hasn't.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: August 29, 2021 13:13

Agreed, but it’s not only Eric. Many of the other “old socks” are in the same position, more or less — two ex-Beatles, the Stones, The Who...the list goes on.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: August 29, 2021 14:28

Now that the UK had their 'freedom day' and they're probably not having a lockdown again, what's he actually rebelling against?

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: August 29, 2021 15:46

Macca is still very productiv

Date: August 29, 2021 16:22

dreadful shite

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: August 29, 2021 17:56

highgatehillbilly
dreadful shite

Well said sir.

Boring, repetitive, and resorting to this subject matter to generate a bit of interest in his 'music'. EC should have packed it in a long time ago. For a man who pumped himself full of all kinds of strange and exotic substances back in the day he sure has come over all tedious, boring and righteous. Then what else would you expect from someone who brought us an album called Old Sock?

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 29, 2021 18:02

KeithNacho
Macca is still very productiv

Not making anything good.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 29, 2021 19:02

GerardHennessy
highgatehillbilly
dreadful shite

Well said sir.

Boring, repetitive, and resorting to this subject matter to generate a bit of interest in his 'music'. EC should have packed it in a long time ago. For a man who pumped himself full of all kinds of strange and exotic substances back in the day he sure has come over all tedious, boring and righteous. Then what else would you expect from someone who brought us an album called Old Sock?

he should play the blues and not much else beside

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: August 29, 2021 19:11

RisingStone
Agreed, but it’s not only Eric. Many of the other “old socks” are in the same position, more or less — two ex-Beatles, the Stones, The Who...the list goes on.

Yes, the list goes on.
When I look at the output of ZZ Top (one of my fav bands for a long time)
I'm nothing but disapointed. And what they are doing now after Dusty Hill's
death and especially how they are doing the current tour now is just horrible.

Want to add: Macca is still playing really good shows.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: August 29, 2021 19:13

slewan
GerardHennessy
highgatehillbilly
dreadful shite

Well said sir.

he should play the blues and not much else beside

Yes indeed. Well said. I agree with you 100%. Not sure he has it in him any longer though. It's been a long time since Clapton produced new music that actually moves me. And performs very little real blues now.

Sad really! He used to be great.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 29, 2021 19:25

Eric Clapton, Guitarist for Baby Boomers, Releases Protest Song for Anti-Vaxxers
“I’m used to being free,” Clapton sings in his new track, “This Has Gotta Stop.”

Eric Clapton, the British singer-songwriter and arguably second-greatest guitarist, continues to take what he perhaps sees as a bold stance against basic measures to protect people from COVID-19. His new song, “This Has Gotta Stop,” appears to be a rallying cry against vaccines and other issues, as Rolling Stone notes, at a time when the Delta variant is hitting unvaccinated people particularly hard.

“I can’t take this B.S. any longer / It’s gone far enough,” Clapton sings in the track. It arrives with a music video featuring subtle illustrations of an evil puppeteer, swirly-eyed people, a hypnotic man in a tie, and protesters with picket signs that read “Liberty” and “Stop.” He continues, “I knew that something was going on wrong / When you started laying down the law / I can’t move my hands / I break out in sweat.”

Clapton appears to be hinting at his previous claims about his experience with the AstraZeneca vaccine, as Rolling Stone points out, and the video features “an illustration of Jam for Freedom, the anti-lockdown UK street-performer group that Clapton supports, as well as imagery of a world on fire from [environmental] disaster.”

Clapton, who is 76, also complains in the style of certain Baby Boomer parents you know: “I’ve been around / Long long time / Seen it all / And I’m used to being free.”

This song isn’t the first time Clapton has used his music to criticize actions that help prevent death and hospitalization due to COVID. Last year’s “anti-lockdown song” with Van Morrison, “Stand and Deliver,” suggested “that governments scrambling to keep their populations alive are somehow stealing from them,” V.F.’s Jordan Hoffman observed. The announcement of that song also led to the resurfacing of racist comments Clapton made in 1976.

Clapton is scheduled to play dates next month in Louisiana, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, and Texas, including in Austin, where I live. Earlier this month, we reportedly had two available ICU beds in our area.

On Twitter, the reception for “This Has Gotta Stop” wasn’t entirely warm.

[www.vanityfair.com]

Date: August 29, 2021 23:00

Robert Johnson was the King of the Delta-Blues. Eric Clapton is the King of the Delta-Virus.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: August 30, 2021 02:40

Never got the hype about Clapton. He wasn’t even god when it was being spray painted on walls. Peter Green was a far better blues player than Clapton.
But of a racist too...Ginger Baker was a better drummer than Clapton is guitar player.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: August 30, 2021 03:32

Paddy
Never got the hype about Clapton. He wasn’t even god when it was being spray painted on walls. Peter Green was a far better blues player than Clapton.
But of a racist too...Ginger Baker was a better drummer than Clapton is guitar player.

So I guess you don’t play guitar or drums.

So you’re comparing how good a drummer is to how good a guitarist is? I think I heard it all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-30 03:41 by Cooltoplady.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: August 30, 2021 03:42

Cooltoplady
Paddy

So I guess you don’t play guitar or drums.

A little of both.. More guitar and for longer than drums. Always dicked around on drummers kits over the years and finally bought one 3/4 years ago.

I suppose music to me is feel, Ginger had a better feel for music through his instrument than Eric Clapton has. Peter Greens tone, feel, vibrato, bends, a delicate and aggressive style of playing all in one Song.

It’s not unusual to look at the components of a band. Clapton was at his biggest as a guitar god around the time of Cream, so I look at the trio, and he was one of them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-30 03:48 by Paddy.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 30, 2021 08:49

Horrible song

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 30, 2021 10:08

Clapton is turning out to be quite a dickhead and this is harming his legacy.

Mathijs

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: August 30, 2021 11:18

Great message - boring song. A great guy.

Posted by: calipachangero ()
Date: August 30, 2021 11:42

Nice to see all the haters getting triggered by something Eric says or does thumbs up
Go Eric!

Date: August 30, 2021 11:45

This is tarnishing his legacy, musically as well as lyrically.

Who's releasing this for him?

Sheer stupidity.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: August 30, 2021 13:12

Eric is quite elderly in terms of his age group, War Babies in many cases suffered terrible protein deficiency, hence their diminutive size comparable to other generations, it was a terrible thing, and I'm not excusing Clapton's Clap Trap as my Grandmother would say, but i'm just going to remember that period before the Drugs, then Booze, which were incredible, and to be honest his stuff from the mid 70's into the late 80's maybe tainted by drink, his words, but I love a good chunk of it.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 30, 2021 14:29

calipachangero
Nice to see all the haters getting triggered by something Eric says or does thumbs up
Go Eric!

You should see what they say about the Stones on the Clapton forum grinning smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 30, 2021 16:06

Bjorn
Great message - boring song. A great guy.

I'd say the opposite - decent tune, misguided message.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 58

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1627
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home