Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829...LastNext
Current Page: 24 of 58
Re: OT: Eric Clapton stuff
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 22, 2021 16:15

treaclefingers
StonedAsiaExile
Good for him, I support him on this.

Well, apparently "Clapton is God", so there's that.

at least that phrase went to his head…

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: July 22, 2021 16:19

slewan
treaclefingers
StonedAsiaExile
Good for him, I support him on this.

Well, apparently "Clapton is God", so there's that.

at least that phrase went to his head…

I’d say, Clapton is odd these days.

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: July 22, 2021 16:20

Well, if Clapton wants to go through with this, a lot of shows are cancelled and legally he has some challenges also. Not sure that is what he wants.

Posted by: Rolling1 ()
Date: July 22, 2021 19:54

Great for Eric, his paycheck, beliefs, you don't have to agree with them, just like some of us don't agree with yours. He cancels, don't get paid, refunds issues. No big deal.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 22, 2021 20:21

No hope saying something against what the followers want to believe in. But yeah, they're open mindedwinking smiley

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 22, 2021 20:23

kv2915
Someone posted an article where he trashed Eddie saying he sucked. Clapton is a miserable chap.
In fairness, and I love Eddie Van Halen, but it sounds like anyone that in any way bashes him gets the wrath of his son and his ex wife. They gotta cool it with their social media presence on everything EVH. Not EVERYTHING you hear is gonna be positive and you don't have to take it so god damn personally.

As for Clapton, glad I've seen him when I did. I think he's wrong but I also don't care cause he's not really alone in this thought process. I'm not gonna hold it against him, just feels like a strange hill to die on, especially being older and more at risk, same as his audience. But hey, we currently live in a world where you gotta just let people do what they want for the most part. If you don't like it, as I don't, I just won't participate. It sucks, but everyone's too strong willed right now. Hopefully it just rights itself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-22 20:28 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 23, 2021 02:32

He is turning into a grumpy old man.

I for one think it's great to have a fully vaccinated audience, and just don't go if you don't agree with his way of thinking.

Not seen him play live since the Cream reunion gigs with Jack and Ginger some years back, which were really great.

Not the same Eric in personality and being a great live act, as well as sky high ticket prices.

Take it or leave it..................and I will definitely leave it. thumbs down

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: July 23, 2021 19:28

LA Times opinion piece on Clapton. When Ted Cruz supports you, you should know you are the wrong side of things.

[www.latimes.com]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 23, 2021 19:42

daspyknows
LA Times opinion piece on Clapton. When Ted Cruz supports you, you should know you are the wrong side of things.

[www.latimes.com]

Excessive drink & drugs are bad for you in the long run! All good things in moderation.

OT: Eric Clapton stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 23, 2021 21:05

Bob Lefsetz's take:

Eric Clapton

[lefsetz.com]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 23, 2021 21:28

daspyknows

[www.latimes.com]
Priceless !

Date: July 24, 2021 01:00

daspyknows

[www.latimes.com]

As much as I am critical of Clapton’s anti-vax/lockdown stance as well as his widely reported racial slurs and domestic abuse from the old days, I am not entirely convinced by Hefferman’s points of argument — in particular, that art and personality are inseparable in Clapton’s case. Her explanation, “If Clapton’s music is corrosive, certainly so are his actions and ideologies. They’re all of a piece”, doesn’t give me enough clue as to why such a measure applies to Clapton and not to somebody else. Here, I feel her narrative lacks credibility, and it sounds to me no more than rhetorical nonsense.

...if my understanding of English is accurate, that is.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: July 24, 2021 02:29

Good for Eric.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 24, 2021 02:33

Midnight Toker
Good for Eric.

Why? Cause he says what’s on his mind? Just like in the 70’s?

And by the way has any listen to the EC album Old Sock? Wtf was he thinking?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-24 04:44 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: July 24, 2021 04:49

More Hot Rocks
And by the way has any listen to the EC album Old Sock? Wtf was he thinking?

Old Sock? Just another release from Eric in his late 60s. Not remarkable. But not a bad album, either — if you ignore the daft cover.

The 2013 US/UK/Euro shows promoting this album were his last great tour. Saw Birmingham, Manchester and RAHx2. Long setlist, some deep cuts and hot guitar play...he could still stop time when he was on.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: July 24, 2021 05:43

More Hot Rocks
Midnight Toker
Good for Eric.

He was drunk throughout the 70’s.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 24, 2021 05:52

bam
More Hot Rocks
Midnight Toker
Good for Eric.

He was drunk throughout the 70’s.

Yeah I agree you have to give the guy a break. But this stuff with the vaccination has to stop. He just can’t decide not to play a venue cause he doesn’t want too. He’s looking at lawsuits from all angles.
Eric started a well known rehab facility. I’m sure patients don’t pick and choose what they want for their own good. I’m not trying to compare the two I just saying you have to do what works. The vaccination works

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-24 05:53 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: July 24, 2021 06:09

I’m not suggesting Clapton’s addictions excuse his conduct. He had terrible addiction problems, which he fortunately beat. Clapton had a very rough childhood story - and has known horrible tragedy.

Clapton said and did stupid things in the 60’s and 70’s and 80’s. He apologized for some of those comments. He’s certainly entitled to speak his mind, but his current gibberish, when added to his past words, will do lasting damage to his reputation as a person, and turn many people away from his music. A sad coda to a great career.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 24, 2021 07:41

bam
I’m not suggesting Clapton’s addictions excuse his conduct. He had terrible addiction problems, which he fortunately beat. Clapton had a very rough childhood story - and has known horrible tragedy.

Clapton said and did stupid things in the 60’s and 70’s and 80’s. He apologized for some of those comments. He’s certainly entitled to speak his mind, but his current gibberish, when added to his past words, will do lasting damage to his reputation as a person, and turn many people away from his music. A sad coda to a great career.

He'll never be remembered for this. Honestly, release the @#$%& Ginger Baker tribute concert and 50% of people won't even remember what he's up to now.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: July 24, 2021 18:33

RollingFreak
bam

He'll never be remembered for this. Honestly, release the @#$%& Ginger Baker tribute concert and 50% of people won't even remember what he's up to now.

They didn't film the Ginger Baker tribute. The project I was involved in is the best that will be released. Everyone involved in that project has been vaccinated except possibly one of the video tapers from Japan who I am not in regular contact with.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 26, 2021 07:16

Getting back to EC. Only time I saw him was early 90s. Awful. So boring. He jumped the shark with that 90s EZ listening remake of Layla.

Date: July 26, 2021 14:29

treaclefingers
Getting back to EC. Only time I saw him was early 90s. Awful. So boring. He jumped the shark with that 90s EZ listening remake of Layla.

There are people who saw The Rolling Stones once (or even a few times) and say they were boring. Each to their own.

I saw Clapton more than 100 times over the almost 50 years, and most of the times he was brilliant. In fact, my all time greatest-ever gig is his show at the Osaka Furitsu-Taiikukan (“prefectural gymnasium”, that is), December 1, 1979. Admittedly, there were some below-par occasions and bad (yes, boring) shows along the way.

That doesn’t change the way I feel he has sometimes behaved stupidly, morphing into an idiot, even a dick — Birmingham ‘76 springs up to my mind.

And this time included.

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: July 26, 2021 17:38

RisingStone
treaclefingers

There are people who saw The Rolling Stones once (or even a few times) and say they were boring. Each to their own.

I saw Clapton more than 100 times over the almost 50 years, and most of the times he was brilliant. In fact, my all time greatest-ever gig is his show at the Osaka Furitsu-Taiikukan (“prefectural gymnasium”, that is), December 1, 1979. Admittedly, there were some below-par occasions and bad (yes, boring) shows along the way.

That doesn’t change the way I feel he has sometimes behaved stupidly, morphing into an idiot, even a dick — Birmingham ‘76 springs up to my mind.

And this time included.

I've seen Clapton a bunch of times at the Albert Hall throughout the 90s and 2000s and he always gave it everything and it was breathtakingly brilliant.
When Clapton has appeared with the Stones he's blown them away, people that get bored are usually boring peoplewinking smiley

The amazing thing about Eric is that voice live, there are many great gutarists but so few that write as good as Eric and with such a strong voice that always works live.
I listen to Mick's voice live and sometimes it's so weak and thin i just think give it up Mick.

Date: July 26, 2021 19:14

RisingStone
treaclefingers

And this time included.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying, and maybe I saw him on an off night.

But the reality is that I'm probably not really a fan of his solo stuff. If I think about it, I Shot The Sheriff, After Midnight, Cocaine, Knocking on Heaven's door....I don't like his versions of these songs any more.

There are some people that don't think the Stones did anything redeeming after the 60s, or after 1972. In that vein I feel that way about Claption I guess, after Layla (to clarify, the original release!).

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 26, 2021 19:37

Hey, Eric, the ladies rule. Take note.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: July 26, 2021 23:08

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-27 15:55 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: July 26, 2021 23:27

Pioneering, legendary guitar player for sure. Great performance backing Albert Lee here:

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 27, 2021 01:27

Yes man I have to admit he shined in Toronto.

jb

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: July 27, 2021 06:24

Key To The Highway (Live at Fillmore version) or Let It Rain. He has so many great ones.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 27, 2021 13:45

RollingFreak
bam

I agree with you as this will be a footnote in his bio down the road a piece or further on up the road . Sorry for the pun , but EC sure can put his foot in his mouth when he wants to I guess . I also think he feels entitled to express his thoughts and feelings and opinions and because of his status and stature, he certainly has the platform and gets attention as well because he is Slowhand . I certainly don't agree with him on this one bit and he is like many other artists in wanting to refill his bank account and get the money to start coming again coming off from being cut off due to the Pandemic . The part that is confusing for me is that as a major artist he has to tread a fine line in not alienating paying customers that fill his bank account with money as he profits from plying his trade . Then there is his age which makes him carefree with his thoughts , not that It stopped him when he was younger as he doesn't shy away from the cameras and press if he feels he has to express his thoughts and feelings . I guess COVID-19 has struck a nerve in him .

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829...LastNext
Current Page: 24 of 58

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1977
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home