Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 58
Re: OT: Eric Clapton stuff
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 18, 2021 10:08

but that doesn't make Clapton an old fart either at 76

Watch it boy ..... Hhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 18, 2021 13:05

back to Clapton:
Since he announced a second show for Amsterdam in 2022 I bought tickets for both shows yesterday.
(GA and half the ticket price compared to ticket prices for his shows in Germany)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-18 13:05 by slewan.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: June 18, 2021 13:14

Rocktiludrop
StonedRambler..

Mick Jagger is not your typical 77 year old, a physical phenomenon, literally one in a Billion, but that doesn't make Clapton an old fart either at 76, to tour the world and travel and play a full show , you still need to be in fair shape, and to play guitar and sing in the spotlight takes a degree of stamina especially when you play with the emotion and intensity of Clapton, it's exhausting, so even with his few ailments ( normal for his age ) he is not a physical wreck as you put it.

I read and heard many interviews of him (including this one) in the last couple of years where he spoke about his physical condition and his nerve disease. All the drug abuse and addiction certainly did a lot of damage and he himself says that it's a wonder he's still alive at this point. Even before that vaccination thing he often stated how much pain it is for him to play guitar in his condition and that it's really exhausting. A few years ago he even wanted to quit because of that. This is certainly not a normal 76-year old's body. He still plays shows INSTEAD of that and to play all his health problems down really doesn't give him the credit he deserves for playing shows instead of the pain and energy that it takes for him. Under adrenalin it's possible to get more energy than usual for a limited amount of time. But I bet it takes a long time for him to recover from a show.

Date: June 18, 2021 13:43

jbwelda
>Other countries are enforcing border restrictions but not the USA.

That is a completely ridiculous statement. Of course we are enforcing border restrictions and immigration laws. And of course many other countries are plainly NOT enforcing their border restrictions. What planet are you phoning it in from?

jb

anybody who ever traveled to the US even as a tourist will remember that the border authorities give you the feeling that you're are not really welcome. Quite a difference when you travel to Canada.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 18, 2021 15:04

slewan
jbwelda

That is a completely ridiculous statement. Of course we are enforcing border restrictions and immigration laws. And of course many other countries are plainly NOT enforcing their border restrictions. What planet are you phoning it in from?

jb

anybody who ever traveled to the US even as a tourist will remember that the border authorities give you the feeling that you're are not really welcome. Quite a difference when you travel to Canada.

I've crossed the Canadian/US border (by land) countless times over the decades, with family living close to it on both sides, starting in the early seventies. That's not been my experience at all.
Both borders take it seriously, and neither have ever been very "welcoming". Depending on which side of the line I was currently living on, occasionally they would welcome me back.. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-18 15:09 by MisterDDDD.

Date: June 18, 2021 15:26

MisterDDDD
slewan
jbwelda

jb

I've crossed the Canadian/US border (by land) countless times over the decades, with family living close to it on both sides, starting in the early seventies. That's not been my experience at all.
Both borders take it seriously, and neither have ever been very "welcoming". Depending on which side of the line I was currently living on, occasionally they would welcome me back.. winking smiley

I was speaking from the perspective of someone who's neither a US nor a Canadian citizen (but a EU citizen)

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 18, 2021 15:36

slewan
MisterDDDD
slewan
jbwelda

jb

I was speaking from the perspective of someone who's neither a US nor a Canadian citizen (but a EU citizen)

Sure. Being part of the commonwealth may be helpful entering Canada I suppose.
I was speaking as someone who has dealt with both many many times.
Welcoming.. isn't a descriptive I would assign to either.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: June 18, 2021 19:15

slewan
jbwelda

jb

the Border Authorities in every country are there to do a job, nothing more...they aren't the Welcoming Committee and this isn't Applebees, it's the border.

I imagine it's a boring, tedious, (but important) job where they deal with 1000s of "you" all day/night long...

besides, if they stamped your passport and let you in - that's your "welcome."

I hope you enjoyed your stay, regardless...it's a good country.

not sure what this has to do w/ Clapton...but, come on over and check him out! We aren't blocking Astrazeneca Vaxxers from entry (yet)....only Springsteen has done that (so far)....

Date: June 18, 2021 19:35

stickyfingers101
slewan
jbwelda

jb

the Border Authorities in every country are there to do a job, nothing more...they aren't the Welcoming Committee and this isn't Applebees, it's the border.

I imagine it's a boring, tedious, (but important) job where they deal with 1000s of "you" all day/night long...

besides, if they stamped your passport and let you in - that's your "welcome."

I hope you enjoyed your stay, regardless...it's a good country.

not sure what this has to do w/ Clapton...but, come on over and check him out! We aren't blocking Astrazeneca Vaxxers from entry (yet)....only Springsteen has done that (so far)....

of course border authorities are doing their job – but still there are differences in the way they do their jobs. My experience is that UK border authorities are usually very friendly, while their US collegues are not so friendly. But maybe I had just bad luck…

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: June 18, 2021 19:47

StonedRambler
Rocktiludrop
StonedRambler..

Mick Jagger is not your typical 77 year old, a physical phenomenon, literally one in a Billion, but that doesn't make Clapton an old fart either at 76, to tour the world and travel and play a full show , you still need to be in fair shape, and to play guitar and sing in the spotlight takes a degree of stamina especially when you play with the emotion and intensity of Clapton, it's exhausting, so even with his few ailments ( normal for his age ) he is not a physical wreck as you put it.

I read and heard many interviews of him (including this one) in the last couple of years where he spoke about his physical condition and his nerve disease. All the drug abuse and addiction certainly did a lot of damage and he himself says that it's a wonder he's still alive at this point. Even before that vaccination thing he often stated how much pain it is for him to play guitar in his condition and that it's really exhausting. A few years ago he even wanted to quit because of that. This is certainly not a normal 76-year old's body. He still plays shows INSTEAD of that and to play all his health problems down really doesn't give him the credit he deserves for playing shows instead of the pain and energy that it takes for him. Under adrenalin it's possible to get more energy than usual for a limited amount of time. But I bet it takes a long time for him to recover from a show.

I hear what you're saying, it is a brave move to take on a world tour under these conditions and especially when he's not in the best of health since the vaccine.
The only thing i disagree with you on is when you blame his condition on his lifestyle and excesses, he hasn't had a drink in 33 years, no illegal drugs either, so it's silly to say things he did as a young man have effected him, he's been in great shape for decades, it's just old age mate, happens to most people, see how you feel when you're 76, see if you can tour the world as a front man, when, and if you reach 76.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 18, 2021 21:13

Rocktiludrop
StonedRambler
Rocktiludrop
StonedRambler..

I hear what you're saying, it is a brave move to take on a world tour under these conditions and especially when he's not in the best of health since the vaccine.
The only thing i disagree with you on is when you blame his condition on his lifestyle and excesses, he hasn't had a drink in 33 years, no illegal drugs either, so it's silly to say things he did as a young man have effected him, he's been in great shape for decades, it's just old age mate, happens to most people, see how you feel when you're 76, see if you can tour the world as a front man, when, and if you reach 76.
You cannot know that he has not indulged in drink or recreational drugs in the last 33 years .That's kind of going out on a limb .FYI, I love EC work on the fretboard.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: June 18, 2021 22:06

Rocktiludrop
StonedRambler
Rocktiludrop
StonedRambler..

Drugs and alcohol can leave irreversible damage to your body especially if you overdo it and he certainly did. That damage won't go away anymore and while you can deal with it or not even notice it when you are younger these things can get more obvious with age and make other age-related diseases more likely. 2/3 of people who drink on a chronic basis have some form of peripheral nerve damage. It's totally absurd to think you can abuse your body for so many years then just wait another 20 years and have a perfectly healthy body. It's just not the way it works.

Here's an interesting article for you: [modernneuropathy.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-18 22:11 by StonedRambler.

Date: June 19, 2021 10:56

Judging Eric on his playing career it's obvious by the way he's played in the previous few decades he hasn't had any nerve damage, you can't play like that with nerve damage. Nerve damage he suffers from now is unlikely to be connected to drinking from 33+ years ago, in many cases neuropathy can be reversed when heavy drinkers abstain, so the chances of a 33 year delay in symptoms is highly unlikely.

As for TheGreek questioning Eric's sobriety over the past few decades ?, it's common knowledge Eric hasn't drank , no one has said he has, no one has seen him drink, what you are insinuating is that he is a liar.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-19 11:56 by Rocktiludrop.

Date: June 21, 2021 13:50

Rocktiludrop
Judging Eric on his playing career it's obvious by the way he's played in the previous few decades he hasn't had any nerve damage, you can't play like that with nerve damage. Nerve damage he suffers from now is unlikely to be connected to drinking from 33+ years ago, in many cases neuropathy can be reversed when heavy drinkers abstain, so the chances of a 33 year delay in symptoms is highly unlikely.

As for TheGreek questioning Eric's sobriety over the past few decades ?, it's common knowledge Eric hasn't drank , no one has said he has, no one has seen him drink, what you are insinuating is that he is a liar.
Correct

Date: June 21, 2021 14:01

It's just unbelievable to me that a man who once was a fiend chasing the dragon and then he is free of all his demons . Really ? Not even a glass of wine with dinner ? You get where I am coming from ? You don't just turn into a tea tootler do you ?

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: June 21, 2021 14:33

TheGreek
It's just unbelievable to me that a man who once was a fiend chasing the dragon and then he is free of all his demons . Really ? Not even a glass of wine with dinner ? You get where I am coming from ? You don't just turn into a tea tootler do you ?

Since he's an alcoholic/drug addict, and wishes to remain sober, he can have NOTHING. It is how it is.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 21, 2021 19:16

steffialicia
TheGreek

Since he's an alcoholic/drug addict, and wishes to remain sober, he can have NOTHING. It is how it is.

I agree, obviously. A recovering alcoholic is always that: an alcoholic. Eric can’t so much as snuff an alcoholic beverage, I’m sure. He’s done really well, I think. I’ve always felt he looks pretty good on it. Certainly less decrepit than some his age!

Date: June 21, 2021 19:22

All true

Date: June 21, 2021 20:12

TheGreek

Most alcoholics can't stop for long, Eric , like Ronnie had many failed attempts, but for the lucky ones they do eventually stop or die, Eric stopped, something just happens i guess where they see the destruction and health concerns and just grow out of it or find a programme or even find a higher power and see the light.
Myself i stop for months but always miss it too much and return to drinking, that works for me, don't believe in a life of sobriety, the long layoffs seem to prevent any health concerns, well so far so good at 56, just weekend drinking is the key, Eric can't have one drink, that's the difference.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-22 00:48 by Rocktiludrop.

Date: June 22, 2021 18:26

Now to shed some Sunlight and talk about something fun - EC gear , Guitars , Amps and such [www.whereseric.com] Enjoy hot smiley

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: June 26, 2021 01:41

Eric and Keef cover Spoonful:
video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: July 1, 2021 11:18

I'm looking for a good Clapton biography book. I somewhere read the Philip Norman book (2018) is ok, but not great. Any better books out there?

Date: July 1, 2021 11:37

jackflash27
I'm looking for a good Clapton biography book. I somewhere read the Philip Norman book (2018) is ok, but not great. Any better books out there?

"Survivor" was a good one, and he's definitely turned out that beyond what the writer could have known back then.

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: July 1, 2021 12:49

Rocktiludrop
jackflash27

"Survivor" was a good one, and he's definitely turned out that beyond what the writer could have known back then.

Thanks, will check this one out. What do you mean with 'he's definitely turned out that beyond what the writer could have known back then'?

Date: July 1, 2021 13:41

jackflash27
Rocktiludrop
jackflash27

Thanks, will check this one out. What do you mean with 'he's definitely turned out that beyond what the writer could have known back then'?

In that the book was released in 1986 when Clapton was 41 years old, and now age 76 some 35 years later he's still selling out tickets for a world tour, thats a Survivor if ever there was one against all the odds, all the sadness and loss, all the addictions, amazing really.

Posted by: FredStones ()
Date: July 1, 2021 16:04

Rocktiludrop
jackflash27
Rocktiludrop
jackflash27

In that the book was released in 1986 when Clapton was 41 years old, and now age 76 some 35 years later he's still selling out tickets for a world tour, thats a Survivor if ever there was one against all the odds, all the sadness and loss, all the addictions, amazing really.

Exactly why Slowhand is the greatest!

Date: July 1, 2021 17:08

FredStones
Rocktiludrop
jackflash27
Rocktiludrop
jackflash27

Exactly why Slowhand is the greatest!

smileys with beer

Well actually Keith was the greatest but he wimped out to Mick Jagger and sold out to us a long time ago.

Crosseyed Hearts brilliance showed me Micks been in control of Stones albums unfortunately.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: July 1, 2021 17:15

terraplane
Eric and Keef cover Spoonful:
video: [youtu.be]

I was there.
Thx for posting.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: July 21, 2021 09:30

ANNOUNCEMENT FROM ERIC CLAPTON:
Following the PM’s announcement on Monday the 19th of July 2021 I feel honour bound to make an announcement of my own:
I wish to say that I will not perform on any stage where there is a discriminated audience present. Unless there is provision made for all people to attend, I reserve the right to cancel the show.
- - Eric Clapton.

Date: July 21, 2021 10:14

terraplane
ANNOUNCEMENT FROM ERIC CLAPTON:
Following the PM’s announcement on Monday the 19th of July 2021 I feel honour bound to make an announcement of my own:
I wish to say that I will not perform on any stage where there is a discriminated audience present. Unless there is provision made for all people to attend, I reserve the right to cancel the show.
- - Eric Clapton.

Why wouldn't all attend? But unvaccinated people would have to show a negative test. I hope he's not saying that everybody should gather in there without showing they're protected or negative.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 58

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1231
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home