Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 58
Re: OT: Eric Clapton stuff
Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: June 5, 2021 13:33

DandelionPowderman
Testify
In my opinion, things must be contextualized, like some terms used in the past and today not very pleasant.
I don't think Clapton is racist, or rather we are all racists, the difference is the culture of the people and I find it hard to believe that Clapton's always musically blues culture makes him a racist. He may have taken a tough stance on immigration, but that doesn't mean being racist.

"Get the wogs out" is both discriminating and racist.

I don't see how anyone could argue with that

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: June 5, 2021 22:58

Rocktiludrop
stickyfingers101
Rocktiludrop
I've got a shock for everyone, Eric obviously meant what he said at the time drunk or not, and in retrospect he was right, when you look at some English Cities today there are places you feel completely out of place and a minority if you are white British.
I don't think the indigenous people of England were ever asked if they wanted to become a minority, i go to London now and to be honest it's a challenge to find anyone talking English, even if they are white they are invariably Eastern European or whatever.

For me when the host nation become a minority it's gone too far, i think my fellow Englishmen are the most tolerant people in the world but I'd be lying if i said there isn't concern, multiculturalism doesn't seem to be working, in the last few years I've witnessed a lot of racial tensions from both sides, it's very sad and i fear it doesn't end well for the English as a culture and I'm sure most the world will be very happy about that including many English themselves.

thumbs down

I hope you are joking.

for one, England is 80% white....so stop w/ the total inaccuracy about "white minorities" in England.

As for the woes of the Indigenous English, boo-hoo....I'm pretty sure the indigenous people of all of England's colonies were never asked if they wanted to be exploited for England's gain....

so, too bad for the UK if they show up now looking for a piece of the pie the Brits stole from them for ___ years.

If your Fellow White Brits are concerned, they can simply have more kids...population growth is necessary for economic solvency as populations age & retire...if that ain't comin' from locals, it comes from immigrants. It's basic math.

But, if you wanna start kicking some immigrants out....feel free to send all the immigrant doctors, engineers, mathematicians, scientists, nurses, dentists etc. to my country....(FYI, that's how Einstein and all the Manhattan Project scientists ended up in my country....Dummy Shitler being a xenophobic, antisemitic moron)

or do you want to keep the highly-skilled professionals and only throw out the "low value" immigrants?.....

I ask b/c a side of socioeconomic prejudice goes well with a plate of xenophobia covered in racism-sauce.

Whatever...if Clapton meant what he said, I know who I'd vote off the island....

Either you are fresh out of university of you are not too good at understanding basic facts, and i didn't say anything about kicking people out, ( I'm certainly not a racist , many of my heroes are black and government immigration policy is not their fault) i said when some London boroughs are 0 to 5% white things have gone too far, and if your guess that England is 80% white ( that figure will have changed when the new census comes out,) is it not a concern that 20% non whites are committing almost half of knife crime, that worries me, that tells me that these people feel like they have nothing to lose in this country, it tells me they are not happy. Multiculturalism has failed, this country has failed them, it has used them and neglected them, can't you understand what I was saying, Clapton was right in that respect, mass immigration policy under previous governments was a mistake, and by the way, his drunken speech has been altered recently, that's the internet for you, that's the punishment he is receiving for having the guts to speak out against our basic freedoms being taken from us recently.
And you say population growth is a good thing for economy, well is it a good thing for people to be over populated, , you mean it's a good thing for capitalists.

You say you're not a racist, but 5% white people has "gone too far". Too far for what? I know the answer but I want you to say it. That is entirely ridiculous. Are you reading what you write? That pretty much defines racism. Systematic race classifications and power structures. Who gets to be where and what they can do. What percentage of non-whites is acceptable for you then? Are you listening to yourself?

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: June 6, 2021 05:44

As jbwelda states above that he doesn’t think he needs to comment further, l just go on on my own, making some points clearer.

jbwelda
On the word of two people, both of whom seem to agree it was a totally racist rant, but just spread out over an entire performance instead of as a concentrated blast as reported elsewhere. And both these people's accounts carry weight because one was an immigrant and the other fronted a band with black people in it.

That’s exactly what I intended to say. Among the audience members of the night, they are the first people whose testimony deserves to be trusted and credible, as opposed to jbwelda’s digging in his previous post (“And yeah, out of any crowd I bet you can find two people who described an incident that must have happened on another planet. Especially after 20 or so years have passed by.”). From their recollections, I can’t help but speculate if Clapton’s rant may have been less focused and all over the place than the impressions the various “transcripts” convey, hyped up and concentrated thus more intense and sensational than the way it was delivered on-site, true to the British tabloid mentality.

Some may say, Clapton made racial remarks, after all, it doesn’t matter how bad they were, the blame should be given. I’d claim the opposite — because his demeanor of the night was (supposedly) malicious and harmful, accurate record of what he said is essential and needed for the valid criticism. There is enough reason he deserves it, for sure. But to me, those who blame Clapton by carrying out direct quotations of the monologues that are uncertain if he said or not at this moment, seem to be lynching him. And some of them give an impression that they don’t like him in the first place, and take advantage of the incident for bashing him.

When you judge somebody, do it fairly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-06 07:06 by RisingStone.

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: June 6, 2021 11:10

floodonthepage
Rocktiludrop
stickyfingers101
Rocktiludrop
I've got a shock for everyone, Eric obviously meant what he said at the time drunk or not, and in retrospect he was right, when you look at some English Cities today there are places you feel completely out of place and a minority if you are white British.
I don't think the indigenous people of England were ever asked if they wanted to become a minority, i go to London now and to be honest it's a challenge to find anyone talking English, even if they are white they are invariably Eastern European or whatever.

For me when the host nation become a minority it's gone too far, i think my fellow Englishmen are the most tolerant people in the world but I'd be lying if i said there isn't concern, multiculturalism doesn't seem to be working, in the last few years I've witnessed a lot of racial tensions from both sides, it's very sad and i fear it doesn't end well for the English as a culture and I'm sure most the world will be very happy about that including many English themselves.

thumbs down

I hope you are joking.

for one, England is 80% white....so stop w/ the total inaccuracy about "white minorities" in England.

As for the woes of the Indigenous English, boo-hoo....I'm pretty sure the indigenous people of all of England's colonies were never asked if they wanted to be exploited for England's gain....

so, too bad for the UK if they show up now looking for a piece of the pie the Brits stole from them for ___ years.

If your Fellow White Brits are concerned, they can simply have more kids...population growth is necessary for economic solvency as populations age & retire...if that ain't comin' from locals, it comes from immigrants. It's basic math.

But, if you wanna start kicking some immigrants out....feel free to send all the immigrant doctors, engineers, mathematicians, scientists, nurses, dentists etc. to my country....(FYI, that's how Einstein and all the Manhattan Project scientists ended up in my country....Dummy Shitler being a xenophobic, antisemitic moron)

or do you want to keep the highly-skilled professionals and only throw out the "low value" immigrants?.....

I ask b/c a side of socioeconomic prejudice goes well with a plate of xenophobia covered in racism-sauce.

Whatever...if Clapton meant what he said, I know who I'd vote off the island....

Either you are fresh out of university of you are not too good at understanding basic facts, and i didn't say anything about kicking people out, ( I'm certainly not a racist , many of my heroes are black and government immigration policy is not their fault) i said when some London boroughs are 0 to 5% white things have gone too far, and if your guess that England is 80% white ( that figure will have changed when the new census comes out,) is it not a concern that 20% non whites are committing almost half of knife crime, that worries me, that tells me that these people feel like they have nothing to lose in this country, it tells me they are not happy. Multiculturalism has failed, this country has failed them, it has used them and neglected them, can't you understand what I was saying, Clapton was right in that respect, mass immigration policy under previous governments was a mistake, and by the way, his drunken speech has been altered recently, that's the internet for you, that's the punishment he is receiving for having the guts to speak out against our basic freedoms being taken from us recently.
And you say population growth is a good thing for economy, well is it a good thing for people to be over populated, , you mean it's a good thing for capitalists.

You say you're not a racist, but 5% white people has "gone too far". Too far for what? I know the answer but I want you to say it. That is entirely ridiculous. Are you reading what you write? That pretty much defines racism. Systematic race classifications and power structures. Who gets to be where and what they can do. What percentage of non-whites is acceptable for you then? Are you listening to yourself?

If wanting to live in a relatively non violent country to which you were born is racist then am i a racist ?. If immigration leads towards making once safe places to live violent and prevalent in knife crime etc thats a problem for me, my children and for black people and their children that live in that area.
You miss my point, it's not what colour people are it's how violent they are, i have black friends that will not live in these Boroughs in London and Birmingham etc. The point i was unsuccessfully trying to make was that multiculturalism as an experiment has failed black people and white.
And i am not talking just black immigration, before Brexit we had mostly white immigration with gangs of Eastern Europeans intimidating locals in more rural areas, obviously most were hard working people wanting a better life and i appreciative that, problems arise when the influx is too many people settling too fast, we don't have the infrastructure to deal with it in England and Wales.

I don't know where you live floodonthepage but if the demographic of people changed to locals being a tiny minority in a few decades and that place to which you were born became so violent you had to move out for the safety of your children, would that make you a racist for being cynical and judgemental about the changes you witnessed in your home Town or City..
I didn't want to comment on this thread again but have to explain my words.

I'm very sorry if that makes me a racist, I'm only guessing but a lot of people that don't understand my point of view are usually viewing it from their Ivory towers..

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 9, 2021 20:12

From RockCellar Magazie:

Eric Clapton: Anniversary Deluxe Edition of 1970 Solo Debut ‘Clapton’ Coming 8/20

EC

On Aug. 20, UMe/Polydor will revisit Clapton, the 1970 self-titled debut album from guitarist/songwriter Eric Clapton, in deluxe Anniversary Edition formats. Announced on Wednesday, the reissue will be available on 4-CD, 1-LP and digital editions, and was previewed with a pair of newly remixed tracks from the collection. A news release notes that the full Deluxe revisiting features three separate mixes: The Eric Clapton Mix, The Delaney Bramlett Mix and The Tom Dowd Mix (The UK Version), with the Clapton Mix being released in full for the very first time. ** Also included a 4th disc of singles, alternate versions & session outtakes.

* CD4 (Singles, Alternate Versions & Session Outtakes) all titles released on 2005 Deluxe Edition CD except COMIN’ HOME (Alternate Mix) which is a previously unreleased mix

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 10, 2021 21:36

Hairball
From RockCellar Magazie:

Eric Clapton: Anniversary Deluxe Edition of 1970 Solo Debut ‘Clapton’ Coming 8/20

EC

On Aug. 20, UMe/Polydor will revisit Clapton, the 1970 self-titled debut album from guitarist/songwriter Eric Clapton, in deluxe Anniversary Edition formats. Announced on Wednesday, the reissue will be available on 4-CD, 1-LP and digital editions, and was previewed with a pair of newly remixed tracks from the collection. A news release notes that the full Deluxe revisiting features three separate mixes: The Eric Clapton Mix, The Delaney Bramlett Mix and The Tom Dowd Mix (The UK Version), with the Clapton Mix being released in full for the very first time. ** Also included a 4th disc of singles, alternate versions & session outtakes.

* CD4 (Singles, Alternate Versions & Session Outtakes) all titles released on 2005 Deluxe Edition CD except COMIN’ HOME (Alternate Mix) which is a previously unreleased mix

My dad bought the original LP in 1970.

We’re back to the music thumbs up

Date: June 13, 2021 06:48

“The Rebels” by Slowhand and Van

[www.youtube.com]

This is a nice little tune sound-wise.
But...I’m so glad I’m not a native speaker of Englishgrinning smiley

And the video...”rebels” have different causes and opponents between them, and they don’t necessarily share the same view regarding the lockdown with Slowhand and Van. Most likely Mick ‘n’ Keef don’t.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: June 14, 2021 20:35

I will wait til London. Not interested in being in an arena with 10,000 unvaxxed and unmasked people. Hope others tape them.

Eric Clapton 2021 North American Tour Dates

September 13th – Fort Worth, TX @ Dickies Arena
September 15th – Austin, TX @ Frank Erwin Center
September 17th – Houston, TX @ Toyota Center
September 18th – New Orleans, LA @ Smoothie King Center
September 21st – Nashville, TN @ Bridgestone Arena
September 23rd – Atlanta, GA @ Gas South Arena
September 25th – Tampa, FL @ Amalie Arena
September 26th – Hollywood, FL @ Seminole Hard Rock

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: bam ()
Date: June 14, 2021 20:49

Hmmmm. Playing only southern, red states.
Political decision?
Only places that wanted him after his latest musical collaboration?
Only places where no COVID precautions required?

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 14, 2021 20:55

bam
Political decision?

or maybe just the firt few confirmed dates of a longer US tour?
or maybe he just picked places he didn't perform for a very long while?

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: June 14, 2021 21:08

bam
Political decision?

the last one.

I imagine it was/is much easier to book concerts in TX & FL as they have been "open" for several weeks now.

other states are still in the process of "opening up"....I think.

Date: June 14, 2021 21:14

bam
Political decision?

Georgia and Florida...

Date: June 14, 2021 21:30

just sayin'....if we are listing reasons - other than political - that he might've chose this tour-route....

Austin, New Orleans and Nashville are no-brainers for any bluesman.

....the rest aren't big stretches either.

the geography of the US always plays a factor in booking dates/locations - maximizing profit (gigs), minimizing travel (costs) etc...so, if

the dates are in states that opened (from Covid restrictions) much earlier than other parts of the country....ie. starting booking earlier = ready to go earlier

the south is also cheaper on-the-whole, which increases his profit-margin, I would assume...labor costs, union costs, crap like that...

That doesn't mean he didn't say screwed-up stuff in 1976...or that he isn't a good guitar player & musician that has written his fair-share of good songs...

Sunshine of Your Love is a great riff....I read that he wrote it after seeing Hendrix for the 1st time. Who knows? Good story, though

so, there's also that.

I digress.

Point is...he probably booked it for what was most time & cost-effective for himself. I don't think these guys care that much which city they are in.

Date: June 15, 2021 02:42

He could have made more money doing 3 nights at Madison Square Garden and 3 nights at Staples with less travel. This was done either because or as a result of the lack of Covid restrictions.

Ticket prices are steep. Lets see how well the sales go. I am unlikely for any of them and of all the people I know who travel for Clapton only one person may do Nashville.

Date: June 15, 2021 11:12

Why are people saying Eric's tour dates are political , as if he's picking places where people will only see him due to his recent collaborations with Van Morrison, what utter rubbish, he's obviously picked States with less covid restrictions because shows in venues in those States are least likely to be cancelled, it's business as usual.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 15, 2021 13:40

daspyknows
He could have made more money doing 3 nights at Madison Square Garden and 3 nights at Staples with less travel. This was done either because or as a result of the lack of Covid restrictions.

Ticket prices are steep. Lets see how well the sales go. I am unlikely for any of them and of all the people I know who travel for Clapton only one person may do Nashville.
Will this mean that no proof of vaccination or you don't have to show a vaccination on your phone ?

Date: June 15, 2021 13:42

Rocktiludrop
Why are people saying Eric's tour dates are political , as if he's picking places where people will only see him due to his recent collaborations with Van Morrison, what utter rubbish, he's obviously picked States with less covid restrictions because shows in venues in those States are least likely to be cancelled, it's business as usual.
I think this is right and also costs will be less which will mean more profit for him .

Date: June 15, 2021 16:06

daspyknows

agree...but, I don't think NYC was "open" (ie. "ready") when all the arrangements needed to be made....which I guess is part of "Covid restrictions"

I have no idea, though....he didn't call me to help him w/ the bookings.

what is Staples Center? Is that the Boston Garden?

I think Great Woods was once known as Staples Center or Verizon Center.

...or something.

I'm old.

Date: June 15, 2021 18:09

TheGreek
daspyknows

Will this mean that no proof of vaccination or you don't have to show a vaccination on your phone ?

Its illegal to do that in Florida. It may be in Texas as well. You read that right. It is against the law to ask for vaccination status.

Date: June 15, 2021 18:15

stickyfingers101
daspyknows

agree...but, I don't think NYC was "open" (ie. "ready") when all the arrangements needed to be made....which I guess is part of "Covid restrictions"

...or something.

I'm old.

MSG is open for full capacity with vaccination or negative test. Staples center [en.wikipedia.org] is where the L.A. Lakers and L.A. Clippers play in Los Angeles, California. When Clapton said he was done touring a few years ago and sold out multi show runs at both arenas. These are two of the largest arenas and in the two largest metropolitan areas. If he wanted to do 8 shows, he could have added 2 in Chicago or Dallas and would have made a lot more than the tour as booked.

Date: June 15, 2021 19:36

daspyknows
TheGreek
daspyknows

Its illegal to do that in Florida. It may be in Texas as well. You read that right. It is against the law to ask for vaccination status.
As I live and breathe I guess . So it's a free for all .

Date: June 15, 2021 19:39

daspyknows
stickyfingers101
daspyknows

...or something.

I'm old.

MSG is open for full capacity with vaccination or negative test. Staples center [en.wikipedia.org] is where the L.A. Lakers and L.A. Clippers play in Los Angeles, California. When Clapton said he was done touring a few years ago and sold out multi show runs at both arenas. These are two of the largest arenas and in the two largest metropolitan areas. If he wanted to do 8 shows, he could have added 2 in Chicago or Dallas and would have made a lot more than the tour as booked.
Oh yeah I forgot that my favorite Guitarist pulled a Gene and Paul we are retiring until the next time we hit the road and tour . Maybe his ailments are better now ? Incredible I guess .

Date: June 16, 2021 13:43

Eric Clapton on vaccinations, live audiences, Van etc.
[m.youtube.com]

Date: June 16, 2021 13:49

Frank Zappa said and I quote "Shut up and play your guitar "

Posted by: bam ()
Date: June 16, 2021 17:28

He’s sad and confused in that interview clip. I’ve seen Eric many times, going back to 1974. I doubt I’ll go to see him again.

Playing only southern, red states.
Political decision?

Date: June 16, 2021 19:02

bam
He’s sad and confused in that interview clip. I’ve seen Eric many times, going back to 1974. I doubt I’ll go to see him again.

Political decision?
He may have questionable political views which he is certainly entitled to . The real reason about the Southern states is easy money with no restrictions . All about the $

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 16, 2021 19:11

stickyfingers101

...or something.

The former Great Woods in Mansfield MA is now the Xfinity Center. Prior to that it was the Comcast Center, and prior to that the Tweeter Center For The Performing Arts.

Date: June 16, 2021 19:20

bam

Political decision?

I'd say he's never seen things clearer, God bless him for seeing through all the BS, and what a brave man to leave himself so open to attack but have the courage of his convictions, a man after my own heart . I take it you watched the full 24 minute interview ?

Date: June 16, 2021 21:00

Rocktiludrop
[m.youtube.com]

Look at the comments and the number of approvals...a mass gathering of covidiots.

E.C. is an Echo Chamber.

Date: June 16, 2021 23:31

RisingStone
Rocktiludrop
[m.youtube.com]

Look at the comments and the number of approvals...a mass gathering of covidiots.

E.C. is an Echo Chamber.

You mean there are a number of people that see through what's happening. I knew all this from the beginning of last year, fortunately more and more people have a feeling something is very wrong on so many levels, good luck to you though mate, ignorance is bliss.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 58

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1917
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home