Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 58
Re: OT: Eric Clapton stuff
Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: May 22, 2021 22:01

As much as I dislike the comments that he made at that gig, I feel that he should be measured on his actions not his words. He has historically championed music by "black" artists, has regularly had coloured band members (collaborating with some since the 60's) and has worked in supporting work in countries considered "black". I doubt there are any of us who haven't said something stupid after a few drinks. I have a really strong hatred of racism, I am a mix of races and am not white and have endured racism since I was a kid. I think if I can look past his dumb comments and see the positive actions he has taken, anyone can!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 22, 2021 22:11

mr_c_ox
As much as I dislike the comments that he made at that gig, I feel that he should be measured on his actions not his words. He has historically championed music by "black" artists, has regularly had coloured band members (collaborating with some since the 60's) and has worked in supporting work in countries considered "black". I doubt there are any of us who haven't said something stupid after a few drinks. I have a really strong hatred of racism, I am a mix of races and am not white and have endured racism since I was a kid. I think if I can look past his dumb comments and see the positive actions he has taken, anyone can!

Good attitude. One does have to accept an apology and forgive.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 23, 2021 00:04

Its good to turn the other cheek.

I think his remarks and all this controversy over them were on the cusp of the rise of the National Front in the UK, who were notorious KKK like organization. I am not sure if Enoch Powell was actually associated with them, but they associated themselves and their ideals with him. So his little supposedly drunk speech wasn't made in a vacumn, there was a particular societal context to his statements at the time, and there was a big push to "cleanse" England of foreigners, many of whom came there at the behest of corporations looking to exploit them as cheap labor. And he appeared to be taking sides with those statements.

I always wondered if his published apology was more about having the nerve to say those things in public versus for really apologizing for saying something he didn't mean. Seems to me as I recall there were several signs he was only apologizing for saying such things in public and probably continued to believe them in private.

Sorry if this turns out to be a fractured history lesson, I barely paid attention to it at the time because, eh, rock star taking his own publicity too seriously, next.

jb

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 23, 2021 00:29

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-23 02:30 by Stoneage.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: May 30, 2021 17:38

Since I posted my last comment here (on May 22), I have been searching for further information about the quote from the Birmingham incident and found this, recently published article [www.snopes.com] . It contains the paragraph below;

Did Eric Clapton Once Unleash a Racist Rant Onstage? by Dan MacGuill
Over the years, several purported transcripts have emerged, with various differences and points of commonality. It appears no recording of Clapton’s racist rant exists, so its exact wording is open to dispute, and we can’t verify the verbatim accuracy of any given set of direct quotations.

The article also quotes recollections of the audience members who were there to get the speech firsthand. Two of them (novelist and professor Caryl Phillips, who is a Caribbean immigrant, and future suka/New Wave bands The Beat/General Public singer Dave Wakeling) agree in that — unlike the often quoted and publicized tirade that is now widely shared by the internet community — “Clapton’s racist rant was protracted and intermittent over the course of the evening, and did not merely come in a single outburst.”

Wakeling — “I don’t remember it all happening in one go. There were two or three episodes of it and he had a bit of a recap towards the end.”

Some food for thought there...

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 30, 2021 18:26

RisingStone
Since I posted my last comment here (on May 22), I have been searching for further information about the quote from the Birmingham incident and found this, recently published article [www.snopes.com] . It contains the paragraph below;

Did Eric Clapton Once Unleash a Racist Rant Onstage? by Dan MacGuill
Over the years, several purported transcripts have emerged, with various differences and points of commonality. It appears no recording of Clapton’s racist rant exists, so its exact wording is open to dispute, and we can’t verify the verbatim accuracy of any given set of direct quotations.

The article also quotes recollections of the audience members who were there to get the speech firsthand. Two of them (novelist and professor Caryl Phillips, who is a Caribbean immigrant, and future suka/New Wave bands The Beat/General Public singer Dave Wakeling) agree in that — unlike the often quoted and publicized tirade that is now widely shared by the internet community — “Clapton’s racist rant was protracted and intermittent over the course of the evening, and did not merely come in a single outburst.”

Wakeling — “I don’t remember it all happening in one go. There were two or three episodes of it and he had a bit of a recap towards the end.”

Some food for thought there...

I cant understand why this is still being an issue. Just like Bowie's "sieg heil" in 1976. When you¨re out of your mind due to alcohol and drugs, you¨re living in a dream/nightmare. Eric Clapton is the least racist (not correct Engligh words, I know) person ever. Whatever he said out of ohis mind in the 70s.......you are idiots to make a "case" out of that

Date: May 30, 2021 18:44

Unfortunately, I think no one would agree with you on that, Eric (Snow). Being drunk doesn't excuse it and as pointed out it wasn't just one comment, it was a bunch of them including doubling down on the comments when asked at the time about them. Only to later "apologize" when it appeared he may have been alienating some of his fans.

Typical two step of the generally undercover (of a white sheet) racist.

I forgot to add something a friend of mine always said: being drunk just makes someone say what they are already thinking. Doesn't make them think crazy things, just say them.

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-30 19:42 by jbwelda.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 30, 2021 19:00

OK, different opinions.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 30, 2021 23:13

jbwelda
Sorry if this turns out to be a fractured history lesson, I barely paid attention to it at the time because, eh, rock star taking his own publicity too seriously, next.

jb

Odd, you seem to pay very close attention to it 50 years later though. Or so it seems to me...

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: May 31, 2021 01:31

I've got a shock for everyone, Eric obviously meant what he said at the time drunk or not, and in retrospect he was right, when you look at some English Cities today there are places you feel completely out of place and a minority if you are white British.
I don't think the indigenous people of England were ever asked if they wanted to become a minority, i go to London now and to be honest it's a challenge to find anyone talking English, even if they are white they are invariably Eastern European or whatever.

For me when the host nation become a minority it's gone too far, i think my fellow Englishmen are the most tolerant people in the world but I'd be lying if i said there isn't concern, multiculturalism doesn't seem to be working, in the last few years I've witnessed a lot of racial tensions from both sides, it's very sad and i fear it doesn't end well for the English as a culture and I'm sure most the world will be very happy about that including many English themselves.

Date: May 31, 2021 02:28

LeonidP
jbwelda

jb

Odd, you seem to pay very close attention to it 50 years later though. Or so it seems to me...

Yes, so odd. So, your point please?

jb

Date: May 31, 2021 02:36

Rocktiludrop
I've got a shock for everyone, Eric obviously meant what he said at the time drunk or not, and in retrospect he was right, when you look at some English Cities today there are places you feel completely out of place and a minority if you are white British.
I don't think the indigenous people of England were ever asked if they wanted to become a minority, i go to London now and to be honest it's a challenge to find anyone talking English, even if they are white they are invariably Eastern European or whatever.

For me when the host nation become a minority it's gone too far, i think my fellow Englishmen are the most tolerant people in the world but I'd be lying if i said there isn't concern, multiculturalism doesn't seem to be working, in the last few years I've witnessed a lot of racial tensions from both sides, it's very sad and i fear it doesn't end well for the English as a culture and I'm sure most the world will be very happy about that including many English themselves.

Considering this is the 21st century, reading this really kind of hurts. Its pathetic some have not progressed beyond this level.

ever hear this song:

how true and how appropriate.

jb

Date: May 31, 2021 03:11

And that's a response, that's your conversation, Racist.. people of different cultures all segregated with their own communities, that's the reality, it's not everyone of different cultures all getting along, that would be fantastic, instead it's different people with their own patch.
It would be lovely if everyone was living together in harmony but that's not what we see in inner cities in England, come and have a look someday for yourself, there are no go areas for whites, i didn't expect to see that either in England this century.
There are virtually no English people living where i was born in London, it's been that way for a long time, you probably think that's a good thing, lots of people do, it's trending now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-31 03:25 by Rocktiludrop.

Date: May 31, 2021 05:07

I was over there last in 2009, visiting life long residents in all areas of the city.

Never felt more intimidated than I did in Richmond on Friday evening, with all the drunk youth beating up random passerby. We even got detained by police (first night in London) because some pissed up youth tried some shit on my friend in the bus and he had to bean him one and then all his friends jumped in on it then and we all (he, me, his wife even) had to get in on it. Then these fks fled the bus and next thing you know they hailed a cop and they pulled over the flippin bus. And then he got arrested even though we were innocent victims not looking for trouble, and we had to go round to the station after midnight and spring him.

These were all white youth and sons of important people as it turned out. My friend got released but he found out all about it.

So yeah I hear ya, stay out of the lily white areas at night or you might get beat and arrested.

No worries anywhere else mate. Night or day to Brixton or Shepherds Bush or Hackney or anywhere, I am just not familiar enough with the individual neighborhoods to tell you where exactly. Lots of brown yellow and black about, all hours of the day and night, and again, no problems.

England has a lot of problems beginning with the royals and the class system to be worrying about some immigrants.

jb

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 31, 2021 05:23

^ That sounds a lot like what is happening in the US too. Some idiot wanted to make America great again when it never was great for much of the non white population.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 31, 2021 05:44

Haven't seen this in quite some time - it's always been my favorite part of the movie since the first time I saw it.
When Eric is almost done with an amazing blazing solo, Chuck demands him to "take another one...take another one..." haha
Then when Eric continues to let it rip, Chuck gets down on a knee in front of him soaking it in and showing his appreciation and admiration.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-31 05:46 by Hairball.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: May 31, 2021 07:49

TheY didn’t call him God without good reason

Date: May 31, 2021 10:51

jbwelda
I was over there last in 2009, visiting life long residents in all areas of the city.

Never felt more intimidated than I did in Richmond on Friday evening, with all the drunk youth beating up random passerby. We even got detained by police (first night in London) because some pissed up youth tried some shit on my friend in the bus and he had to bean him one and then all his friends jumped in on it then and we all (he, me, his wife even) had to get in on it. Then these fks fled the bus and next thing you know they hailed a cop and they pulled over the flippin bus. And then he got arrested even though we were innocent victims not looking for trouble, and we had to go round to the station after midnight and spring him.

These were all white youth and sons of important people as it turned out. My friend got released but he found out all about it.

So yeah I hear ya, stay out of the lily white areas at night or you might get beat and arrested.

No worries anywhere else mate. Night or day to Brixton or Shepherds Bush or Hackney or anywhere, I am just not familiar enough with the individual neighborhoods to tell you where exactly. Lots of brown yellow and black about, all hours of the day and night, and again, no problems.

England has a lot of problems beginning with the royals and the class system to be worrying about some immigrants.

jb

Wherever man, look at crime statistics they don't lie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-31 11:08 by Rocktiludrop.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 31, 2021 12:00

Jbwelda: you’re in Richmond. They’re likely to be white, in all fairness. There are thugs everywhere, unfortunately. Even in conservative, white middle-class neighbourhoods like Richmond and Kingston-upon-Thames.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 31, 2021 12:07

The racist part of Clapton's slur is not his opinion about immigration. It is the name calling and his appeal to make non-whites leave the premises (and the country).

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: May 31, 2021 19:52

Just to cheer things up a bit (reading the last two pages really depresses me). I'm going to my first Clapton show next year in Amsterdam. I'm taking my daughter with me. She's not really familiar with the man, so it's up to me now to prepare her for the show the next year winking smiley Really looking forward to it.
There's one question I have. is there a good and active Clapton forum around (just like the IORR forum)? I like to know what's going on in Clapton land and see what fans are talking about. Thanks!

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: May 31, 2021 21:17

jackflash27
There's one question I have. is there a good and active Clapton forum around (just like the IORR forum)? I like to know what's going on in Clapton land and see what fans are talking about. Thanks!

As far as I know, there is no international Eric Clapton forum on a large scale a la IORR (we all should thank bv for this place). Where’s Eric! [www.whereseric.com] is closest to an official website (technically it isn’t — it was created by a fan and has been developing from there over the years), but it doesn’t have a forum/bulletin board.

I assume difficulty of running a Clapton forum comes from the artist’s controversial personality — you know what I mean if you have a browse on this thread? He draws all sorts of pros and cons. It is predictable the forum would be vulnerable to flaming and trolls, let alone criticisms to the man (valid or not), making it a hard work for a moderator to keep the place running, tidy and organized.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-31 22:57 by RisingStone.

Date: May 31, 2021 21:48

Big Al
Jbwelda: you’re in Richmond. They’re likely to be white, in all fairness. There are thugs everywhere, unfortunately. Even in conservative, white middle-class neighbourhoods like Richmond and Kingston-upon-Thames.

Richmond seems to be rather famous for these young drunk @#$%& wreaking havoc on especially older men. It was all over the papers and the reality was plain to see as I described.

Yes I know about demographics, thanks for the lesson

jb

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: May 31, 2021 21:48

RisingStone
jackflash27

As far as I know, there is no international Eric Clapton forum on a large scale a la IORR (we all should thank bv for this place). Where’s Eric! [www.whereseric.com] is closest to an official website (technically it isn’t — it was created by a fan and has been developing from there over the years), but it doesn’t have a forum/bulletin board.

I assume difficulty of running a Clapton forum comes from the artist’s controversial personality — you know what I mean if you have a browse on this thread? He draws all sorts of pros and cons. It is predictable the forum would be vulnerable to framing and trolls, let alone criticisms to the man (valid or not), making it a hard work for a moderator to keep the place running, tidy and organized.

Yeah I see what you mean. I realize that we as Stones fans are really spoiled with such a great board as IORR. But there must be places where EC fans come together (virtually) to chat (with or without trolls). I'll do some more research...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 1, 2021 00:45

I always loved the Eric/Bluesbreakers version of this, and the original Otis version is even better imo.
Put them on stage together in 1986, and this is what happens - pure greatness.

Date: June 1, 2021 12:21

jbwelda

Yes I know about demographics, thanks for the lesson

jb

You’re welcome thumbs up

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: June 1, 2021 16:33

Hairball
Haven't seen this in quite some time - it's always been my favorite part of the movie since the first time I saw it.
When Eric is almost done with an amazing blazing solo, Chuck demands him to "take another one...take another one..." haha
Then when Eric continues to let it rip, Chuck gets down on a knee in front of him soaking it in and showing his appreciation and admiration.

I was at both shows that they filmed for this movie, the first show had a shorter solo almost repeated note for note in the 2nd show, then as you said Chuck tells him to keep going and he unleashed a fantastic 2nd half of thst solo and the crowd went nuts.

Clapton has seemed to atone for his past racists comments by opening a rehab center in the Caribbean for those who couldn't afford to go elsewhere and being one of the first to ask "who do I make the check out to" when people stepped up to support ripped off early black American blues artists not getting the royalties they should have.

Doesn't excuse what he said but he appears to be trying to make amends. Most deserve a 2nd chance.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: June 1, 2021 17:47

Rocktiludrop

thumbs down

I hope you are joking.

for one, England is 80% white....so stop w/ the total inaccuracy about "white minorities" in England.

As for the woes of the Indigenous English, boo-hoo....I'm pretty sure the indigenous people of all of England's colonies were never asked if they wanted to be exploited for England's gain....

so, too bad for the UK if they show up now looking for a piece of the pie the Brits stole from them for ___ years.

If your Fellow White Brits are concerned, they can simply have more kids...population growth is necessary for economic solvency as populations age & retire...if that ain't comin' from locals, it comes from immigrants. It's basic math.

But, if you wanna start kicking some immigrants out....feel free to send all the immigrant doctors, engineers, mathematicians, scientists, nurses, dentists etc. to my country....(FYI, that's how Einstein and all the Manhattan Project scientists ended up in my country....Dummy Shitler being a xenophobic, antisemitic moron)

or do you want to keep the highly-skilled professionals and only throw out the "low value" immigrants?.....

I ask b/c a side of socioeconomic prejudice goes well with a plate of xenophobia covered in racism-sauce.

Whatever...if Clapton meant what he said, I know who I'd vote off the island....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-01 17:53 by stickyfingers101.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: June 1, 2021 17:51

I screwed something up here....removed.

sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-06-01 17:52 by stickyfingers101.

Date: June 2, 2021 05:37

stickyfingers101
Rocktiludrop

thumbs down

I hope you are joking.

for one, England is 80% white....so stop w/ the total inaccuracy about "white minorities" in England.

As for the woes of the Indigenous English, boo-hoo....I'm pretty sure the indigenous people of all of England's colonies were never asked if they wanted to be exploited for England's gain....

so, too bad for the UK if they show up now looking for a piece of the pie the Brits stole from them for ___ years.

If your Fellow White Brits are concerned, they can simply have more kids...population growth is necessary for economic solvency as populations age & retire...if that ain't comin' from locals, it comes from immigrants. It's basic math.

But, if you wanna start kicking some immigrants out....feel free to send all the immigrant doctors, engineers, mathematicians, scientists, nurses, dentists etc. to my country....(FYI, that's how Einstein and all the Manhattan Project scientists ended up in my country....Dummy Shitler being a xenophobic, antisemitic moron)

or do you want to keep the highly-skilled professionals and only throw out the "low value" immigrants?.....

I ask b/c a side of socioeconomic prejudice goes well with a plate of xenophobia covered in racism-sauce.

Whatever...if Clapton meant what he said, I know who I'd vote off the island....

Thanks for the link. There’s some interesting statistics, there. I’m unsure of you’re location, but we’ve just had our 2021 census, so it’ll be revealed how things have changed since those figures (2011) were compiled. The ‘80% white British’ statistic is taking both England and Wales into account. If you were to include the entire U.K., that figure would be higher, I’d imagine.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 58

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1775
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home