Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 58
Re: OT: Eric Clapton stuff
Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: February 20, 2020 10:52

I love Clapton, he's up there as a player and person with ( although obviously completely different ) Keith, inspired by so much of what he's written and performed over the years, but due to Eric's age i can't enjoy these lackluster solo's, I'd just rather remember the way he was when he was on fire. I know he was being sympathetic to Roonie on stage and sharing the guitar work and holding back, but that's just not the Eric i love, he would have had to show off and blow the other guy away lol.
Age creeps up on everyone and Clapton always shone on these occasions, anyway it was for Ginger and I'm happy you guys were happy with that performance, personally i won't be seeing Clapton again live, it's just not worth the time and money to see him a shadow of his former self.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: February 20, 2020 11:17

paulywaul

Lovely slide guitar contribution from our very own SIR Ronnie Wood !!

Eh? I'm pretty sure that hasn't happened. There may be a Sir Mick, and a Sir Rod Stewart, but afik there ain't a Sir Ronnie.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 20, 2020 13:30

Rolling Freak mighty Thank You for posting the you tube videos ! smiling smiley This wont come as a surprise to anyone but I absolutely positively love Eric Clapton's guitar work . The tone and vibrato is still alive and well . Yes maybe the flash and pyrotechnics and speed are not as flashey but I would take Eric Clapton on an off night than anyone else . One final gripe about my favorite guitarist is I wish he would ditch the Stratocaster and break out a Vintage burst or heck any Gibson Les Paul once again . I remember SNL from 1992 (or 1993) when the Journeyman album came out and he toured in support of it and he played SNL and even sat in with GE Smith and the SNL Band and going into commercial break he broke out a Sunburst Les Paul and jammed away on some blues and save that for a Guitar Center product demo of his Gibson Custom Shop recreation of his famous Beano Les Paul that is the only 2 times in the last 25 years that I have seen him with a Les Paul . I miss that sound !

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: February 20, 2020 13:47

Now I feel bad for not getting tickets to Eric's show in Helsinki in June. But I had to hold out to see what the Stones were planning. Still hope to get a ticket somehow.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 20, 2020 17:54

keithsman
I love Clapton, he's up there as a player and person with ( although obviously completely different ) Keith, inspired by so much of what he's written and performed over the years, but due to Eric's age i can't enjoy these lackluster solo's, I'd just rather remember the way he was when he was on fire. I know he was being sympathetic to Roonie on stage and sharing the guitar work and holding back, but that's just not the Eric i love, he would have had to show off and blow the other guy away lol.
Age creeps up on everyone and Clapton always shone on these occasions, anyway it was for Ginger and I'm happy you guys were happy with that performance, personally i won't be seeing Clapton again live, it's just not worth the time and money to see him a shadow of his former self.

I mostly agree with this for most artists, however Clapton has always been different for me. I don't really know why. Honestly, throughout most of his career he's been hit or miss to me. I guess at the beginning he was pretty amazing all the way through. Cream is phenomenal, Blind Faith is one of my favorite albums ever, so is Layla, I love his guesting on The Concert For Bangladesh where he shows up and crushes on absolutely zero rehearsal. Then that first solo album is great. Then he didn't really do anything good for awhile. Eventually he came back with Slowhand, he has a rousing guest appearance on the Last Waltz. Then a long break before coming back with Unplugged. Then I fairly lengthy break till the Cream reunion. Then nothing that really interested me till the Winwood collab. Oh I also thought his 12/12/12 appearance was fantastic.

I guess what I'm saying is I'm USED to Eric not always blowing me away, but when he does I forgive all the years of kinda nonsense before. I really can't stress enough, which we all know, that he's a guy that SHOULDN'T be alive still, and miraculously is. So I take literally whatever I can get with him. But I don't know, I don't judge him so harshly. I saw the Cream reunion in 2005 and heard the London album and honestly, I've always thought it was just fine. I'm glad they did it, but overall they were slow and a little perfunctory. I remember when I saw it live I was like "I feel so privileged to be here, but they seem as old and slow as I always think the Stones and Macca will be and aren't." They were, frankly, kinda boring. BUT occasionally in that show or on that Royal Albert Hall live album, Clapton will fire something up and all is forgiven. I don't know, it just touches me that deeply that he can still whip it out sometimes. Same at this tribute concert to me. I watched all those videos and yeah, Clapton is fine. He's not the best up there but he's far from the worst. He's just standard Clapton, which is better than most. But if he's playing one of his eras I love (Cream, Blind Faith, Derek and the Dominoes) whenever he busts out the occasional solo I'm transfixed. Doesn't even have to be that great, but its just so unmistakably Clapton. I don't know, for me I'm fine to have a tribute show with a standard Clapton showing up because he's playing songs I love so deeply. But I also totally understand that I too just want him to come out there guns blazing. But he's also 70, and I guess just given my never expecting anything from him, it doesn't surprise me when he doesn't.

When you have a night like this, I'd rather a standard Clapton putting on that show than not doing it at all. As the Greek mentions, that tone is there in small doses still and there's just no replicating it. It makes up for anything I think he may be phoning in. In response to you going to see him, yes I've seen him with Cream and solo and both were rather disappointing. The tour I obviously should have seen and very much regret missing is the Winwood one. That seems like the show I would have loved with a Clapton that was out for blood with a killer setlist.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-20 17:59 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: February 20, 2020 18:32

When I go to see artists like Clapton, Rolling Stones etc. I go there just for fun to see them there on a stage, I don't go to see the best Clapton, because I would be really out of time. What I mean is that we have to be realistic in things, people grow old and cannot be at most until the last of his days. But I'm not complaining it's always great fun for me.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 20, 2020 19:15

The issue with Eric Clapton is simple - ha has spoiled as over the years with his firepower up and down the fretboard and that left handed vibrato and tone . Even from my first time seeing him over 40 years ago it could be a rather pedestrian affair and then he unleashes a hair raising spine tingling goosebumps solo (usually on a blues number ) and everyone is screaming there brains out and there is the magic of Eric Clapton !

Date: February 20, 2020 20:33

Testify
When I go to see artists like Clapton, Rolling Stones etc. I go there just for fun to see them there on a stage, I don't go to see the best Clapton, because I would be really out of time. What I mean is that we have to be realistic in things, people grow old and cannot be at most until the last of his days. But I'm not complaining it's always great fun for me.

I'm absolutely realistic in things. If anything, I give these guys too much credit, cause I genuinely think most sound great. I know the Stones today is nothing like the Stones of the 60s and 70s, but I go see their show and I would argue Jagger is as good as he's ever been, including 60s and 70s. Yes, he's not the same guy, and I guess its just saying "he's not just how good he should be NOW, he's better" but I genuinely think you put this Jagger up against past ones and he has different strengths the others didn't. I don't feel I'm just enjoying the show because of who he is, I'm enjoying it because he still sounds @#$%& phenomenal. Also the case with guys like McCartney, Fleetwood Mac when it was the Rumor lineup a few years ago, many other old rockers. Cream were the only ones I think I've seen where I'm like "oh, you seem as old as I'd think you are" in that other contemporaries of theirs genuinely seem younger on stage than they should be. Its more a testament to them than a knock to Clapton, but I do think I'm not giving the other groups too much credit when I'm seeing them. I don't feel I'm saying it from a biased point of view. I think unbiased they are still excellent live. Whereas Eric, I give him a crutch, and its really just because I've ALWAYS known him to be that way. Kinda similar to Dylan. He could suck all night, but he does one thing right and it'll wipe away all the other bad things. Just cause thats how they've always been. The Stones have always been a bit more polished, so I'd be harsher if they weren't. If that makes sense in that long rambling post.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: February 20, 2020 22:32

I've seen Eric many times since the mid-1970's, including the Cream reunion at MSG, and the first Winwood show at the 2007 Crossroads Festival. At some of those concerts, he was fabulous; at others he was phoning it in. (That could happen on the same tour.) At one show in the 1980's he was phoning it in from Vegas.

In his prime, in addition to his unequaled tone, he was unbelievably fast, but there was never an extra or wrong note. He could convey meaning through his playing, and provide cascades of sound.

Since the 80's he's usually relied on a second guitarist both to do some of the work, and to add depth to music he used to play by himself. Occasionally, as at the Cream reunion concert, he would show that he could still do it all by himself. Also, when he played with other top artists, he would be challenged to dig deeper and play better.

The Howlin' for Hubert Concert in 2012 was the first time that I saw him play with top-notch colleagues where he wasn't his old self. Since then, his appearances have usually covered a more limited sonic range. He still plays with great tone, feeling, and beauty, but he usually hasn't displayed the old speed, fire, or intensity.

I saw the videos of this week's concert. Admittedly, seeing Youtube videos is not the same as seeing him live. The tone and feeling were still great, but the intensity of his playing seemed very inconsistent. Also, I thought I heard an extra or bum note or two -- something I haven't noticed before.

Eric is older, and has discussed his physical problems with peripheral neuropathy. He's given us so very, very much. He's outlived Jack and Ginger, and many others. These performances were a gift to his fans, and clearly meaningful for him as a tribute to Baker. He is loved and appreciated. But, as others have noted, it's not fair to expect him to be the same as he was.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: February 21, 2020 00:57

Sweet Wine: [www.youtube.com]

More complete Blue Condition: [www.youtube.com]

More great vids of the night from the same uploader: [www.youtube.com]

Date: February 21, 2020 01:25

Milan

Thanks! I added these to my larger post with everything.

I also found Presence of the Lord:

[www.youtube.com]

I think the only thing missing now is Pressed Rat and Warthog and the first half of Do What You Like.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: February 21, 2020 16:48

RollingFreak
Milan

[www.youtube.com]

I think the only thing missing now is Pressed Rat and Warthog and the first half of Do What You Like.

Pressed Rat ? Awful song, be it originally, or at the Cream reunion in 2005.

Date: February 21, 2020 17:09

tomcasagranda
RollingFreak
Milan

[www.youtube.com]

Pressed Rat ? Awful song, be it originally, or at the Cream reunion in 2005.

Whether I agree or not, it provided probably the friendliest moment during the whole Cream reunion in 2005 between those 3 old farts. Tis worth it for that:

[www.youtube.com] (starting at 2:20, so you have to suffer through the last minute)

Posted by: majomuc ()
Date: February 21, 2020 18:13

Dear all !

I have uploaded my photo album of the Ginger Baker Tribute here for your enjoyment:

[www.flickr.com]

I found it fabulous - no more, no less.

Cheers, Josef

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: February 21, 2020 18:28

Nice pics Josef, thanks much for sharing.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: February 21, 2020 21:31

Great photos Josef, Thanks.

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: February 21, 2020 21:53

nice to see Clapton playing a Blackie look a like. He should stick with it IMO

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 21, 2020 22:09

I was lucky to have seen three of The Cream Reunion gigs at Royal Albert Hall which were really great and only seen Eric play once since then.
He is still obviously a great guitarist ,but his heyday (in my opinion ), was in the 60's in particular over here in the U.K.
Eric, Peter Green and Jimi Hendrix were the top guys. Also in the 70's ,but he did have his drug problems back then.

Love the pics and everyone looks happy.

I hope that includes Ginger up above ,maybe with a smile on his face.smiling smiley

Well done Josef. smileys with beer

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: February 22, 2020 02:41

majomuc
Dear all !

I have uploaded my photo album of the Ginger Baker Tribute here for your enjoyment:

[www.flickr.com]

I found it fabulous - no more, no less.

Cheers, Josef

Beautiful! Thanks!

Posted by: fzv98d ()
Date: February 22, 2020 20:39

Did you see this? Not sure if this is a big deal with perhaps Eric performing but it is for his wife's charity. More shows to follow...

www.whereseric.com/eric-clapton-news/303-turn-recovery-sofar-sounds-secret-manhattan-show

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: February 23, 2020 00:13

fzv98d
Did you see this? Not sure if this is a big deal with perhaps Eric performing but it is for his wife's charity. More shows to follow...

www.whereseric.com/eric-clapton-news/303-turn-recovery-sofar-sounds-secret-manhattan-show

She did one of these in London and his guitar was there but he chose not to play to overshadow the gig. With the timing in NY it means he could appear at the Allman's 50th or Love Rocks NYC since he could be in town. Unfortunately I can't make this one since I am flying to NY on 7th with Buddy Guy the 6th in Oakland.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: March 4, 2020 03:50

Returned from Music For The Marsden. Great event that ran over three hours. Eric played three songs backed by the house band (including Robbie McIntosh on guitar and Ian Paice on drums) put together by Gary Brooker — that is, Key To The Highway, Stormy Monday and Crossroads. Then Van Morrison took the stage and sang three of his songs with Clapton playing the guitar. Altogether, their set lasted about 30 mins+. That part alone was worth the price of admission. I’m so glad I went.

Date: March 4, 2020 13:46

RisingStone
Returned from Music For The Marsden. Great event that ran over three hours. Eric played three songs backed by the house band (including Robbie McIntosh on guitar and Ian Paice on drums) put together by Gary Brooker — that is, Key To The Highway, Stormy Monday and Crossroads. Then Van Morrison took the stage and sang three of his songs with Clapton playing the guitar. Altogether, their set lasted about 30 mins+. That part alone was worth the price of admission. I’m so glad I went.

I enjoyed it as well.
Seeing Van sing Three Chords and the Truth with Clapton playing guitar and Paice on drums was a wild combination that I never thought could be possible.

Also, Bonnie Tyler was wearing a Rolling Stones t-shirt.

Date: March 4, 2020 16:12

Eric Clapton's Wife has a charity called, Turn Up For Recovery. They are holding a secret gig in New York tomorrow night. Three artists. They don't say who. Could be simply local acts. I have two tickets. I will let you know how it goes. They are planning another secret gig in London.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 4, 2020 18:29

fzv98d
Eric Clapton's Wife has a charity called, Turn Up For Recovery. They are holding a secret gig in New York tomorrow night. Three artists. They don't say who. Could be simply local acts. I have two tickets. I will let you know how it goes. They are planning another secret gig in London.

There was one in London. His guitar was there but he didn't show up to overshadow the event.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 4, 2020 23:57

ChrisL
RisingStone
Returned from Music For The Marsden. Great event that ran over three hours. grinning smileyEric played three songs backed by the house band (including Robbie McIntosh on guitar and Ian Paice on drums) put together by Gary Brooker — that is, Key To The Highway, Stormy Monday and Crossroads. Then Van Morrison took the stage and sang three of his songs with Clapton playing the guitar. Altogether, their set lasted about 30 mins+. That part alone was worth the price of admission. I’m so glad I went.

I enjoyed it as well.
Seeing Van sing Three Chords and the Truth with Clapton playing guitar and Paice on drums was a wild combination that I never thought could be possible.

Yes - I took a photo to post on that thread of people wearing Stones tees, except it turns out I don’t know how to do it grinning smiley
It was a great night, with lots of highlights. It was like the greatest-hits-of-my-youth show! And Rick Wakeman’s version of Eleanor Rigby Prokofiev style was simply astonishing.

[m.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-05 00:16 by Beast.

Date: March 5, 2020 12:58

Beast
ChrisL
RisingStone
Returned from Music For The Marsden. Great event that ran over three hours. grinning smileyEric played three songs backed by the house band (including Robbie McIntosh on guitar and Ian Paice on drums) put together by Gary Brooker — that is, Key To The Highway, Stormy Monday and Crossroads. Then Van Morrison took the stage and sang three of his songs with Clapton playing the guitar. Altogether, their set lasted about 30 mins+. That part alone was worth the price of admission. I’m so glad I went.

I enjoyed it as well.

Yes - I took a photo to post on that thread of people wearing Stones tees, except it turns out I don’t know how to do it grinning smiley
It was a great night, with lots of highlights. It was like the greatest-hits-of-my-youth show! And Rick Wakeman’s version of Eleanor Rigby Prokofiev style was simply astonishing.

[m.youtube.com]

Yeah, that Eleanor Rigby version was impressive.
But as an American, I have to say the whole Tom Jones and Paul Young thing went right over my head.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 5, 2020 16:46

Believe me, you don't have to be American - I'm right there with you on that!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 5, 2020 17:18

You only have to have 2 ears. Eh, no, 1 would be sufficient

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-05 17:32 by Erik_Snow.

Date: March 6, 2020 19:42

I went to the Turn Up For Recovery event in New York. No EC sighting but his wife was there and spoke to the crowd. I talked to her too. Very nice. Three acts. It was in a nice loft with about 100 people. Low key but fun time. I would recommend going to these charity events. Great cause and some moving speeches. Hopefully Melia will be successful with this project. She mentioned they may try one in Chicago where I live.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 58

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1558
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home