Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 58
Re: OT: Eric Clapton stuff
Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: May 14, 2019 13:12

Thanks, daspyknows. Interesting setlist indeed. However, after the initial excitement has died down, Eric’s take on Purple Rain (I saw the YouTube footage) sounds amiss to me — it’s hard for me to envisage anyone other than Prince singing and playing the song. Maybe another you-had-to-be-there moment.

I’m inclined to give it a go nonetheless.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 14, 2019 17:22

At least Eric is willing to take himself out of his normal 'comfort zone'. Wish more bands would do the same.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: May 14, 2019 17:50

Palace Revolution 2000
[youtu.be]

Over 7 minutes, but by the time he is leaning back into the music, and the audience gets to their feet applauding, her has reached up pretty high.
A beautiful performance; great song; great lead vocal by him too. I love this solo by him. The 'big' solo starts around 5:15

Yeah been watching this solo for a few years on youtube, one of the best ever, he pulls on your heart strings and tears them all over the place, what a ride, simply the best ever guitarist doing what he does best. The note he comes in at 5.20 is surely from another dimension to this winking smiley

Date: May 18, 2019 00:38

I made it to the final night — managed a good seat on the door. A brilliant show, exceptionally good performance of his recent years and better than the Japanese shows by a few notches. Overhauled setlist definitely works. I’m so glad I did.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 18, 2019 09:31

i thought his version of "purple rain" was lovely.

Date: May 18, 2019 12:13

crholmstrom

It wasn’t out of place that much when I was there in person to see Eric performing in front of my eyes for sure. Yeah, you had to be there. Also the deliverance of the song was better than the first night I guess — in fact, Thursday was the best of the three nights as a whole according to the aficionados’ opinions.

Still, I didn’t feel I was at an EC concert while he was playing it LOL.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 18, 2019 12:27

RisingStone
crholmstrom

It wasn’t out of place that much when I was there in person to see Eric performing in front of my eyes for sure. Yeah, you had to be there. Also the deliverance of the song was better than the first night I guess — in fact, Thursday was the best of the three nights as a whole according to the aficionados’ opinions.

I enjoyed Jeff Beck's version, too. It's a great song. Neither of them beat the version I saw Prince himself do in a club in Vegas. This was a 1 off before he did the residency there. 1 of the best shows I ever saw. I totally lucked out on getting in & the gambling gods were kind enough to pay for the last minute ticket.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 18, 2019 20:13

RisingStone
crholmstrom

I caught all 3 and thought the first night was the most fun due to the wow factor of the surprises but night 3 was the best played. Will be posting my audio recordings later today.

Date: September 12, 2019 23:30

EC kick-started a short US tour from San Francisco.

[www.setlist.fm]

Date: September 13, 2019 01:32

RisingStone
EC kick-started a short US tour from San Francisco.

[www.setlist.fm]

and carlos santana joined him

Eric Clapton's Crossroads
Posted by: fzv98d ()
Date: September 23, 2019 16:11

I went to Dallas for the sixth Crossroads Guitar Festival. After having Keith and Ronnie in past years, no Stones this time. It was an amazing weekend. Starting to load my videos now. It will take me a few days to get them all up. Lots of highlights too many to mention. Bill Murray was the MC. Here is the opening of night one. I think I have loaded about ten so far. Eric Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival - Bill Murray MC

Re: Eric Clapton's Crossroads
Posted by: coloradocanyons ()
Date: September 23, 2019 19:56

Credit to Whereseric.com for lists.

Saturday started right before 7PM finished about 1230am September 20th:

Sonny Landreth: Walkin' Blues, It Hurts Me Too, Instrumental (Title Unknown), Brave New Girl

Great opening set, always have loved Sonny's playing.

Eric Clapton with Andy Fairweather Low, Jamie Oldaker, Steve Gadd, Nathan East and Pedrito Martinez: Circus, Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out, Tears In Heaven, Wonderful Tonight, Lay Down Sally

Wonderful acoustic set

Bonnie Raitt, Keb' Mo' and Alan Darby - 1 song. Alan played the new Gibson Custom Eric Clapton 1964 Firebird 1 Recreation which is part of the 2019 Crossroads Guitar Collection.

Excellent. One of a number of sets off to one side of the stage while setting up the next full band. Bonnie Mo and Alan together-wow!

Citzen Cope - 5 songs including Bullet And A Target and Sideways. Gary Clark, Jr. joined for one number

I am not really a fan, but this set and the following left most of the audience comotose.

Gustavo Santaolalla - the Argentinian guitarist and composer opened with the Apology Song, followed by a selection of songs from film soundtracks he composed.

Technically a very good guitar player but lacking energy.

Sheryl Crow - 6 song set with guests Bonnie Raitt and James Bay. If It Makes You Happy, Steve McQueen (with Bonnie Raitt), Live Wire (with Bonnie Raitt), Everything Is Broken (with Bonnie Raitt and James Bay), Every Day Is A Winding Road (with James Bay)

Worst set of 2 days...something was wrong with either Sheryl, her mic, the mix, or all three. I actually went back to mix board and starred at whomever was doing the mix, Eric's FOH guy behind the person mixing just shrugged his shoulders.

Pedro Martins and Daniel Santiago - 3 song set

Side Stage .Nice but slow.

Kurt Rosenwinkel with Pedro Martins - performed 6 songs. Songs were taken from Kurt Rosenwinkel's album Caipi and Pedro Martin's album, Vox.

Another nice but slow set.

James Burton and Albert Lee with Jamie Oldaker and Nathan East: That's Alright Mama, Rock Around With Ollie Vee

Very cool to hear James Burton live, and with the Albert Lee! Great!

Jimmie Vaughan and The Tilt-A-Whirl Band with guests Bonnie Raitt and Billy Gibbons: D/FW, Roll Roll Roll, No One To Talk To (But The Blues), Baby Please Come Home (with Bonnie Raitt), I Ain't Never (with Bonnie Raitt), Sharp Dressed Man (with Billy Gibbons), La Grange (with Billy Gibbons)

Great set. While Jimmy and Bonnie were on, Billy just killed it!

Doyle Bramhall and Gary Clark, Jr: Rock Me Baby

Nice side stage acoustic set, great guitar playing as to be expected.

The Marcus King Band: 7 song set including I Just Want To Make Love To You, Hoochie Coochie Man and Goodbye Carolina.

This kid is killer. Go see!

Peter Frampton with Eric Clapton: Georgia On My Mind (Instrumental), Do You Feel Like We Do, While My Guitar Gently Weeps (with Eric Clapton)

Peter was very good, but While my guitar gently weeps is one of my all time favorites and it had been a long long time hearing Eric play this live, got a tear in the eye. The interplay between Eric and Peter was sublime.

Jeff Beck with guests Johnny Depp and Jimmy Hall (pending confirmation): Jeff's set included Big Block, Isolation (with Johnny Depp), Somebody's Nobody (with Johnny Depp), Superstition (with Johnny Depp and Jimmy Hall), Little Wing (with Johnny Depp and Jimmy Hall)

Whoa!! After Marus King was done, thought that was it for the night (no schedule was provided in advance either day). Nope then Peter and Eric. Ok we are done, approaching midnight. Nope. Jeff Beck! and his killer band. Into the set, looks like Bill Murray (who was the emcee for both days and did a great job) wandering on to the stage. It's actually Depp. Did pretty good singing. Jimmy sang great as usual.

All in all a great evening over 5 hours with one bad set and several slow sets offset by some killer sets.

We had a great meal before the show. Arena actually had good beers and drinks available and well appreciated. Walked back to hotel and crashed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-23 19:59 by coloradocanyons.

Posted by: coloradocanyons ()
Date: September 23, 2019 20:27

Day 2 started right before 4PM and went to around 1215AM...yes 8 plus hours!

Robert Randolph: - Cut Em Loose, two unknown song titles, Don't Fight It, Baptise Me

Another great opening set.

Doyle Bramhall II with guests Jim Keltner (full set) and Derek Trucks and Susan Tedeschi for two songs. Doyle's set: I Wanna Be Your Dog, Izabella, That's How Strong My Love Is (with Derek Trucks and Susan Tedeschi), Going Going Gone (with Derek Trucks and Susan Tedeschi)

Another great set! Jim Keltner (along with Charlie) has been my favorite all time rock drummer, he was not on the list of attendees and another been a long time seeing live. Great treat!

Tom Misch with guest John Mayer: I Wish, It Runs Through Me, Unknown Song Title (with John Mayer)

Very cool.

James Bay: Hold Back The River, Let It Go, Peer Pressure, Proud Mary, When We Were On Fire

Great set first time hearing live.

Los Lobos with guests Eric Clapton and Susan Tedeschi: Set lincluded Made To Break Your Heart (with Eric Clapton and Susan Tedeschi), I Walk Alone, Will The Wolf Survive

One of my favorite bands, great set, good to see David looking well.

Keb' Mo': five song solo set was Every Morning, I Remember You, Am I Wrong, Just Like You, Dangerous Mood

Great acoustic set on side stage, audience clapped along on several sounds. Wonderful!

Robert Cray Band: six song set was I Shiver, I Don't Care, Fix This, Nobody's Fault But Mine, Just How Low

Killer set!!. Just love Robert and his singing and guitar playing. Great band.

Buddy Guy with Jonny Lang: three song set with extended versions of Cognac, I Just Want To Make Love To You and Five Long Years (included snippets of Mary Had A Little Lamb and I'm A King Bee).

Another killer, killer set with lots of great interplay between Buddy and Jonny.

John Mayer: two song solo set was Slow Dancing In A Burning Room and Neon

Great side stage set. As usual crowd packed in close.

Tedeschi Trucks Band: five song set was Signs High Times, Down In The Flood, How Blue Can You Get (dedicated to the memory of BB King), Keep On Growing, Shame

Killer, Killer set.

Lianne La Havas: three song solo set was Is Your Love Big Enough, I Say A Little Prayer, Midnight

Nice acoustic break...brain was going into overload.

Gary Clark Jr: His seven song set was Bright Lights, Feed The Babies, I Got My Eyes On You, Low Down Rolling Stone, Our Love, Pearl Cadillac, Come Together

It doesn't stop, another killer set.

Vince Gill with guests Albert Lee, Bradley Walker, Jerry Douglas and Joe Walsh: The eight song set was Oklahoma Dust, Tonight The Bottle Left Me Down, Ode To Billie Joe, Tulsa Time (with Albert Lee, Jerry Douglas and Bradley Walker), Drifting Too Far From The Shore (with Albert Lee, Jerry Douglas and Bradley Walker), Hey Joe (with Albert Lee and Jerry Douglas), Rocky Mountain Way (with Joe Walsh), Life In The Fast Lane (with Joe Walsh)

Wow wow wow. Vince, Albert and Joe in one set? Kudos to Jerry and Vince's band as well.

Eric Clapton and His Band: The festival host started off by singing Happy Birthday to emcee Bill Murray and presented a cake. Eric's main set was Pretending, Key To The Highway (with guest Alan Darby), Hoochie Coochie Man (with guest Alan Darby), Badge, Little Queen of Spades, Layla (electric, with John Mayer), and Crossroads (with John Mayer). Purple Rain was the encore.

Well it has been too long hearing Eric live. Just such a great band he is playing with. Add in Alan and John. Another killer, killer set.

All Star Guitar Finale: High Time We Went

Well we are past 8 hours. OMG. Just a coupe of anecdotes. As a lot of performers but not everyone is coming back on stage and it's pretty crowded, Eric goes over and hugs Buddy Guy and walks him back to stage center. During the song all of the guitar players took turns but a number of them were not actually hooked to a amp so they had to keep passing the cord along, I though Eric and Doyle were going to fall over from laughing.

What a great night!! What a great 2 days, 13+ hours of music within 30 hours. We had a good meal beforehand but a this point needed to replenish. Luckily the hotel offered 24 hour room service so we got a pizza and salad, chatted, and then crashed.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: September 23, 2019 22:12

Thanks for the video and report. Sounds great, Depp aside. He's apparently touring with Beck now. PASS!

Date: September 24, 2019 03:42

I've added about 1/3 of my videos now. Lots of great performances and collaborations.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 24, 2019 13:17

Thanks for the report . That sounds like a mighty fine 2 days of awesome music smiling smiley

Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 25, 2019 01:40

Sounds fantastic, thanks so much!

~"Love is Strong"~

Clapton and Frampton Play Together For First Time
Date: September 27, 2019 19:30

I shot this video last weekend at Eric Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival. It is the first time ever for Eric to play with Peter Frampton. Great version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Should I upload my flashback videos when Keith showed up one year in New York and Ronnie appeared in Chicago?

Clapton and Frampton First Time

Re: Clapton and Frampton Play Together For First Time
Date: September 27, 2019 19:32

I found Keith quickly. Here it is. New York 2013.Keith and Eric Crossroads 2013

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: September 27, 2019 19:52

Cool historic meeting of legendary ax-slingers but i fell asleep three times during that performance. Pace, oldsters, pace!

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: September 27, 2019 20:02

Yes, the Crossroads fest has some "snoozer" moments but the Little RocknRoller with Keef at MSG was Sweet!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 29, 2019 05:16

Saw Frampton last year when he opened for Steve Miller. Expected him to play maybe 45 minutes, he ended up playing 1 hour and 20 minutes. Not a huge fan except for some of the songs off Frampton Comes Alive. Should have played less than an hour.
He then came on and joined Steve Miller for 3 long blues type songs that went on way too long!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 29, 2019 06:06

Has Frampton ever played with Wyman?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 29, 2019 06:57

Bill did a lot to help Frampton out in the 1960s using him as a session guitarist on his outside productions and writing and producing tracks for various short-lived bands Frampton played in throughout the 1960s. Allegedly, Bill suggested he join the Stones as a replacement for Brian. Frampton played on The Rhythm Kings' ANYWAY THE WIND BLOWS album in 1998 and played shows with them from time to time between 1997 and 2003 or thereabouts. Frampton's 2006 album FINGERPRINTS has an instrumental called "Cornerstones" co-written by the four musicians playing on the track - Frampton, Wyman, Watts, and Chris Stainton.

All in all, that's a yes to your question, Koen.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: September 29, 2019 11:36

That's some answer Rocky!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 30, 2019 14:45

Between Nico Zentgraf's site and Ian's Time Is On Our Side site, there is a wealth of information online for all to access or verify. I still get plenty wrong due to trusting my memory, but Nico and Ian are huge helps.

Date: September 30, 2019 15:02

crholmstrom
RisingStone
crholmstrom

I enjoyed Jeff Beck's version, too. It's a great song. Neither of them beat the version I saw Prince himself do in a club in Vegas. This was a 1 off before he did the residency there. 1 of the best shows I ever saw. I totally lucked out on getting in & the gambling gods were kind enough to pay for the last minute ticket.

I wish I had seen that Prince version. A GREAT version of this timeless song is by Cory Henry with the Metropole Orchestra. When I saw this and realized that on top of everything Cory can also sing, I just about lost it. [youtu.be]

Maybe Stones fans are not into Snarky Puppy, but you may be missing out. A different type of music but by the best musicians on the planet. They do phenomenal shows with a revolving cast of about 20. But there is a core of about 12-13 guys who are always there. Cory Henry is a worldclass Hammond B3 and synth player usually. All keys. Here he is doing a solo thing with (I think) Jacob Collier joining in the finale. If you want to experience someone as freakishly gifted as Mozart, check out Collier.

Date: October 1, 2019 02:01

I will post Purple Rain soon. Still working through all my videos. I am on Vince Gil's set which was amazing with great guests.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 1, 2019 13:49

From the you tube clips posted of EC performing Purple Rain , I liked it and thought that EC captured the essence and vibe of the tune not to mention the guitar licks and the vocals were pretty good and the purple lights were cool ! Also the poster above mentioned kudos to EC for stretching out of his comfort zone and playing something different of which I whole heartedly agree !

Date: October 1, 2019 19:48

Here is Layla with John Mayer

Layla Eric Clapton and John Mayer

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 58

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1361
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home