Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Torn And Frayed In The South Of France
Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: December 4, 2017 09:03

crumbling_mice
HP Sauce....never underestimate HP Sauce. Keith never travels without it, Bill was also quite fond of it. Classic English condiment and I also would never be without it! HP sauce was the secret ingredient to Exile,,,,and pretty much every other Stones album!

I'm here in Middle America and HP sauce is always in my kitchen cupboard. I order it through UK sellers on Amazon. I can't imagine my Sunday morning eggs without it. A day without HP sauce is like a day without EOMS!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 4, 2017 09:13

Lurv HP ..... but one friend she reckons HP stands for Horse Poo ..... hhhaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: December 4, 2017 09:24

crholmstrom
Another great one that I always thought would work well live was "Soul Survivor". The jam out at the end is awesome. I've never heard a live version. I actually really like the 1 with Keith singing on the extra disc.

Me 2. But then there's nothing about this album I don't like. smiling smiley

Date: December 4, 2017 09:37

Keith Richards - Mick Jagger - Jimmy Miller & Melons

Nellcote - Dominique Tarle

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 4, 2017 10:08

Aquamarine
crholmstrom
Another great one that I always thought would work well live was "Soul Survivor". The jam out at the end is awesome. I've never heard a live version. I actually really like the 1 with Keith singing on the extra disc.

Me 2. But then there's nothing about this album I don't like. smiling smiley

There are unplayed songs on Exile that you really can't do for an 20 or 60.000 audience. I Just Want To See His Face wouldn't even work in a club I think. And then there are a few halfway "casual fan-friendly" gems like Soul Survivor, Let It Loose, Stop Breaking Down, Torn And Frayed which would probably work at least in 20.000 venues if they don't mess them up. That's what Jagger fears, and that's why they never do them (or three times in 45 years). In 2005, one of the best album tracks (IMHO) It Won't Take Long was played twice, but too slow, it didn't work, so they threw it out again and that was it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-04 10:11 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: December 4, 2017 10:09

Mick Jagger ......Nellcote - Dominique Tarle

ROCKMAN

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: December 4, 2017 10:17

GasLightStreet

Charlie... this is hilarious.

Charlie Watts (December 2009): Nixing a proposal to perform Exile On Main Street live

It would have been great. Universal - I had to think which record company we were with - Universal suggested we play the whole album from start to finish, but some of them are quite difficult to do, unfortunately. Ventilator Blues has never quite worked, see, there's a difference between playing a song and performing it, and Mick is a performer. Ventilator Blues doesn't give him much to go on. A few songs, like Hip Shake, you could do in a club quite easily, but when you get out there in front of 50 000 people - well, it's not quite one of those, isn't it? You're better off doingAll Down the Line. Or Tumbling Dice, that's very popular.

[www.timeisonourside.com]

There is a solution to (almost) everything. They could have done it like Bill Joel compiled his live album Songs in the attic back then: Play a portion of the songs in an stadium, others in an arena and the rest in a club and segue it together. But what would be the use of playing EOMS without Mick Taylor? And isn't it too late in their 70's to perform the entire double Album in decent Quality? No offence in these two questions (and again: it has nothing to do with Ronnie!) but they are serious.

Besides that, I would still not be sure if Let it loose would work live at all. To me, it has always been a Studio production that could not be repeated even close oon stage. Same goes for Turd on the run.

Date: December 4, 2017 10:18

.................................. Dominique Tarle

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 4, 2017 10:54

saltoftheearth
GasLightStreet

Charlie... this is hilarious.

Charlie Watts (December 2009): Nixing a proposal to perform Exile On Main Street live

It would have been great. Universal - I had to think which record company we were with - Universal suggested we play the whole album from start to finish, but some of them are quite difficult to do, unfortunately. Ventilator Blues has never quite worked, see, there's a difference between playing a song and performing it, and Mick is a performer. Ventilator Blues doesn't give him much to go on. A few songs, like Hip Shake, you could do in a club quite easily, but when you get out there in front of 50 000 people - well, it's not quite one of those, isn't it? You're better off doingAll Down the Line. Or Tumbling Dice, that's very popular.

[www.timeisonourside.com]

There is a solution to (almost) everything. They could have done it like Bill Joel compiled his live album Songs in the attic back then: Play a portion of the songs in an stadium, others in an arena and the rest in a club and segue it together. But what would be the use of playing EOMS without Mick Taylor? And isn't it too late in their 70's to perform the entire double Album in decent Quality? No offence in these two questions (and again: it has nothing to do with Ronnie!) but they are serious.

Besides that, I would still not be sure if Let it loose would work live at all. To me, it has always been a Studio production that could not be repeated even close oon stage. Same goes for Turd on the run.

Regarding the question in bold, I agree with you but somehow they decided it would be OK to record Sticky Fingers in full without Taylor, and some fans think its pretty good - even great.
And just as Exile would be pointless without Taylor, I think the same can be said for the Sticky Fingers release imo. That said, it's better than them playing A Bigger Bang in full.

As for Let it Loose, I think they could pull of a decent version even today.
They might have problems with Turd on the Run (and Rip this Joint) simply because of the fast tempo - maybe they could slow them down to mid-tempo blues shuffles rather than the barn burners they are.

Monsoon mentioned Just Want to See His Face not working - not even in a club. I beg to differ, it would be amazing in a small club - a full blown gospel romp.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 4, 2017 11:44

Great read about a great album. Thanks for posting.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 4, 2017 15:58

Hairball

Monsoon mentioned Just Want to See His Face not working - not even in a club. I beg to differ, it would be amazing in a small club - a full blown gospel romp.

Yeah it would sound great... with a choir of 40 black women "borrowed" from the nearby church. A "full gospel" arrangement of that song would be kick-ass, whereas a straight "album-like" version of JWTSHF with just the band and Chuck on organ would be a bit lacking (imo).

Date: December 4, 2017 16:05

dcba
Hairball

Yeah it would sound great... with a choir of 40 black women "borrowed" from the nearby church. A "full gospel" arrangement of that song would be kick-ass, whereas a straight "album-like" version of JWTSHF with just the band and Chuck on organ would be a bit lacking (imo).

It would work in a very small club sold out with 80 drunk men.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 4, 2017 16:20

Monsoon Ragoon
dcba
Hairball

Can I please get on the guest list for that show? winking smiley

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 4, 2017 18:05

Rockman

This is only half of the picture. Mick is looking at Gram Parsons who is sitting next to him at the table.

Can somebody find the complete picture?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-04 18:06 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 4, 2017 19:01

theres the blade , in that one..

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 4, 2017 21:12

crholmstrom
Monsoon Ragoon
dcba
Hairball

Only 80 people...first round is on me. smileys with beer

And then for an encore they could play "100 Bottles of Beer on The Wall"...we'll be there all night! grinning smiley

Date: December 4, 2017 21:31

Hairball
crholmstrom
Monsoon Ragoon
dcba
Hairball

Only 80 people...first round is on me. smileys with beer

And then for an encore they could play "100 Bottles of Beer on The Wall"...we'll be there all night! grinning smiley

The Lantern

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 4, 2017 21:47

RipThisBone
Rockman

This is only half of the picture. Mick is looking at Gram Parsons who is sitting next to him at the table.

Can somebody find the complete picture?

It was from the same time as this and the other one:

Date: December 4, 2017 23:49

Awww The Showbizzzz...

Gram Parsons was at the same table with Mick and Keith in Nellcote.

Strange Gram was cut out of the pictures.

But then Gram Parsons was out of the Stones Circle very soon after 1971-2 and died in 1973.

IT'S ONLY ROCK N ROLL (and a bit of Cosmic Country influence)

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: December 5, 2017 00:57

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-05 15:49 by 2000 LYFH.

Date: December 5, 2017 08:12

.... the dagger and the Marlboros have moved ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: December 5, 2017 11:27

RipThisBone

Strange Gram was cut out of the pictures.

Oh, those marvelous images...

Love the soft focus of the two-shot, only the beermug being sharp.
There are 5 different, almost identical versions of that MJ/KR shot available to my knowledge, one of them being the wonderful Gram version smiling smiley
Then there are three additional ones from the same "session", the MJ with guitar being one of them.

I guess 2000LYFH lined most of them up above, if only his hotlinking or my abilities to do the same had worked. (too laaaaazy to crow for day.... )

Date: December 5, 2017 11:40

Mick Jagger............................................. .Keith Richards............................................................Gram Parsons...............

Photo - Dominique Tarle

ROCKMAN

Date: December 5, 2017 11:42

2000 LYFH

Remember «~original» smiling smiley

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: December 5, 2017 13:44

Much appreciated Rockman,
Never noticed the empty film canister and roll of film on the table before smiling smiley

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: December 5, 2017 16:00

DandelionPowderman

Remember «~original» smiling smiley

OK fixed it - strange thing is, it works yesterday without ~original (checked a few times) and then today it's not working!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-05 16:02 by 2000 LYFH.

Date: December 5, 2017 17:37

Rockman

Mick Jagger............................................. .Keith Richards............................................................Gram Parsons...............

Photo - Dominique Tarle

Thanks 2000LYFH and Rockman. That's a great picture. Shame Gram Parsons was left of off the other two pictures at the same table.
I can't imagine they did NOT sing/play songs together with Gram. He was there for weeks. And why not record them with a cassette player at least or in the basement studio?
It's strange that nothing has ever leaked in all those years by Keith and Gram (and Mick) together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-05 23:28 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: December 10, 2017 22:07

RipThisBone
And why not record them with a cassette player at least or in the basement studio?
It's strange that nothing has ever leaked in all those years by Keith and Gram (and Mick) together.

According to Greenfield's book on the Nellcote days, Mick didn't get along with Parsons at all. Gram was very wasted most of the time and eventually Keith and Anita asked him to leave the premises. He and Keith never spoke again.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: December 10, 2017 23:28

TheBadRabbit
RipThisBone
And why not record them with a cassette player at least or in the basement studio?

According to Greenfield's book on the Nellcote days, Mick didn't get along with Parsons at all. Gram was very wasted most of the time and eventually Keith and Anita asked him to leave the premises. He and Keith never spoke again.

I thought they saw him later that year when they were in LA finishing the album. There was an account that he was supposed to do some small gigs and the Glimmers were frustrated with him for not taking them.
There was also Keith's account of buying street-level, crap heroin together; I think that was in LA at the same time.

Posted by: 06230 ()
Date: December 16, 2017 02:53

35love
wonderboy
It'a amazing they stuck together in such circumstances.
Forced to leave their home country, in debt, beset with legal issues, still dealing with the trauma of losing Brian -- in most bands the bass player and drummer would have gone back to England and the two leaders would have fought. Somehow they held it together.
I do believe it exile was ultimately not the best thing for any of them. It made them gypsies and made things like recording far more difficult, in that now you couldn't ring up your band members and ask them to come 'round to the studio in London; now you had to get everybody to agree to meet in Germany or the Caribbean. Again, it is amazing Charlie and Bill went along with this.

I don’t think it was amazing at all.
They were young, and needed the money.
What a hardship, good looking and famous in the glorious south of France -
I wish I was exiled to France with a job residence in a stone mansion on the water. Well, I’m too old now but...

And the thing is, some of it is true .. to those of us who lived there in the day.. go figure....

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2082
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home