Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Are there any bands you think shouldn't continue/aren't "real" without certain members
Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 25, 2017 03:57

A lot of these former big names must play on 2nd and 3rd tier concert circuits. I doubt if the current Foreigner could do a big arena tour now, more like movie theaters converted into concert halls. It kind of makes me sad because they were a huge band 35 years ago. And for "bands" like Blood, Sweat & Tears, they probably play the hotel circuit. And some of them are playing the nightclub circuit. Clearly some of these pseudo original bands are on the same level as tribute bands and play the same kinds of venues.

Very few old and ancient bands still perform in the same league as the Rolling Stones. Also, Ronnie can be considered an original member for all practical intents and purposes, even if that offends the Taylor and Jones die-hards. There is a huge legacy with Ronnie now and and Ronnie and Keith have their weave which is their own thing that nobody else can own.

Re: OT: Are there any bands you think shouldn't continue/aren't "real" without certain members
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 25, 2017 04:26

rattler2004
Is Van Halen still a band? The should’ve changed their name when Hagar joined them. I know they toured with Roth, but it’s basically a nostalgia act now isn’t it? Like the Moody’s Blues or Beach Boys.

Before I saw them I’d have said The Who, but they put on a powerful and good show so why not?...I never got to see them with Moon, but I did see them in ‘82 and they were (gasp) much better at the Desert Trip. (Although, yes I missed The Ox)

Steely Dan...the recent lawsuit garbage aside, the band still puts on a good show, the Steely Dan Orchestra that currently tours has been around since the early 2000s...longer than the original touring act....apparently Becker’s wife sees a lot of value in them, cause she wants to be a 50/50 partner in the band.

The Eagles...I don’t know, don’t know how they can continue without Glen. I’m interested to see how long this current incarnation will last...

After the losses of 2017, if you want to see an act, go see them, don’t skip an opportunity...nobody is promised tomorrow, and nobody is getting any younger.

I still regret skipping on Miles Davis on his last tour.

Incidentally I did see The Doors of the 21st Century with Ian Asbury, it was a good show...no Jim Morrison, but not money I regretted spending.

Regarding The Who - I also saw them in 1982 at the L.A. Coliseum and at Desert Trip, and agree the Desert Trip shows were better.
In '82 the Clash was opening though, and they sapped most of the energy out of the stadium with their energetic and superior set - by the time The Who came on, it was almost like who cares?
I also saw The Who in '79 at the L.A. Sports Arena, and have to say that was the best out of all of them - no Moon, but they blew me away.

As for the Doors of the 21st Century, at least they had the courtesy to alter the name, but I think eventually there was some legal friction between John Densmore vs. Manzarek and Krieger?
If I'm not mistaken Densmore didn't want them to even use the altered/updated name. I never saw them, but in hindsight I kind of wish I did (RIP Ray).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-25 04:27 by Hairball.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: November 25, 2017 04:48

The Benny Goodman Orchestra.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 25, 2017 05:10

Well Lynyrd Skynyrd is obvious

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: November 25, 2017 06:26

Hairball
rattler2004
Is Van Halen still a band? The should’ve changed their name when Hagar joined them. I know they toured with Roth, but it’s basically a nostalgia act now isn’t it? Like the Moody’s Blues or Beach Boys.

Before I saw them I’d have said The Who, but they put on a powerful and good show so why not?...I never got to see them with Moon, but I did see them in ‘82 and they were (gasp) much better at the Desert Trip. (Although, yes I missed The Ox)

Steely Dan...the recent lawsuit garbage aside, the band still puts on a good show, the Steely Dan Orchestra that currently tours has been around since the early 2000s...longer than the original touring act....apparently Becker’s wife sees a lot of value in them, cause she wants to be a 50/50 partner in the band.

The Eagles...I don’t know, don’t know how they can continue without Glen. I’m interested to see how long this current incarnation will last...

After the losses of 2017, if you want to see an act, go see them, don’t skip an opportunity...nobody is promised tomorrow, and nobody is getting any younger.

Incidentally I did see The Doors of the 21st Century with Ian Asbury, it was a good show...no Jim Morrison, but not money I regretted spending.

Regarding The Who - I also saw them in 1982 at the L.A. Coliseum and at Desert Trip, and agree the Desert Trip shows were better.
In '82 the Clash was opening though, and they sapped most of the energy out of the stadium with their energetic and superior set - by the time The Who came on, it was almost like who cares?
I also saw The Who in '79 at the L.A. Sports Arena, and have to say that was the best out of all of them - no Moon, but they blew me away.

I wanted to go in ‘79, but my Mom veto’d my going with my older brother, they played Cleveland a couple of days after Cincinnati...the trampling & the Iranian Hostages crisi dominated the news...one of my beother’s friends got to go in my place.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 25, 2017 06:44

Wry Cooter
The Benny Goodman Orchestra.

Also, Glenn Miller orchestra!

Would be funny if, back in the day, someone like Beethoven's orchestra would perform under that name after he passed! I wonder if his crowds would complain that the orchestra played too many warhorses? smiling smiley

Date: November 25, 2017 06:49

rattler2004
Hairball
rattler2004

I wanted to go in ‘79, but my Mom veto’d my going with my older brother, they played Cleveland a couple of days after Cincinnati...the trampling & the Iranian Hostages crisi dominated the news...one of my beother’s friends got to go in my place.

It was my older brother who took me to the '79 show! I was 16 at the time, and not sure if I would have made the effort on my own. It was also him who took me to my first Stones shows in '81 at the L.A. Coliseum. And it was him who took me to Jethro Tull, Johnny Winter, and Frank Zappa, The Clash, and Devo among others all at the Santa Monica Civic (all separate concerts of course). And it was him who took me to Pink Floyd The Wall (twice) at the L.A. Sports Arena, 1980. And it was him who took me to the John Mayall Bluesbreakers reunion with Mick Taylor at the Roxy in 1982, followed by the ARMS benefit at the Forum in '83. Without my older brother (RIP), my early concert going experirnces would pale compared to the all of the memories I have now. One of the first major concerts I went to without him was US Festival '83...three days and nights of complete mayhem with some friends in a rented RV.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 25, 2017 07:07

loog droog
We all know deep in our hearts that the Stones aren't "real" without Brian.

And Bill.

Posted by: carouslambra ()
Date: November 25, 2017 09:51

Thin Lizzy, AC/DC, Deep Purple

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 25, 2017 11:21

Status Quo.

And why Eric Burdon has to add "Animals' after his name seems a complete nonsense to me. He 'left' the group 50 or so years ago!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 25, 2017 14:07

Pink Floyd

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 25, 2017 14:33

VU without Lou. Brian Jones is somehow capsuled within the band forever. I dont think he ever really left the Stones. His soul, lifestyle and image is very much what the Stones were about.

Date: November 25, 2017 14:38

Koen
loog droog

And Bill.

Well,they had their best stretch of four years immediately AFTER Brian Jones was gone from the band.

Date: November 25, 2017 14:41

Winning Ugly VXII
Koen
loog droog

And Bill.

Well,they had their best stretch of four years immediately AFTER Brian Jones was gone from the band.

But that had nothing to do with Brian being there or not. They changed (Brian suggested they's change into a blues rock band again) when Miller entered the scene (and the music scene changing). Not just because of him but that era started with Brian still in the band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-25 14:42 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: November 25, 2017 16:10

The point remains :

They had their best stretch of four years immediately AFTER Brian Jones was gone from the band.

What did he really contribute to the "Golden Era" ???

"No Expectations" and ....... what else????

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: November 25, 2017 18:24

GasLightStreet
rattler2004

As close as anyone can get to Morrison, though. Astbury did a great job - and was incredibly humbled by the experience, not just singing Morrison's words.

Q: In 2002, you became part of the Doors of the 21st Century. What did that experience mean to you?

A: I thought it was necessary because Ray (Manzarek) and Robby (Krieger) really wanted the opportunity to play these songs one more time.

So when I was asked, I immediately said yes, and I knew immediately it wasn’t going to be an easy ride. I’m going to get beaten to the ground because people have such a reverent and personal identification with Jim Morrison and the Doors. I knew it came with a huge responsibility.

And being a Doors fan/devotee, it meant a lot to me. So I immersed myself in the music and in the subtext. I had Ray and Robbie kind of mentor me.

Every show, every rehearsal, every encounter was a learning experience, even just having dinner with Ray on my own, for example, was a learning encounter. He was a mentor, a friend.

I did 150 shows with Ray and Robbie, and it reached a point where I felt that everything that could have been done was done. We toured the world, I had the experience and I felt it was time to move on. But it was very hard to leave, knowing I’d never perform those songs again. It was like, take one of your favorite experiences or most incredible romances and rip that from your heart and never do it ever again. It was an incredible sacrifice, but I knew it was necessary. I had to get out and move on from that.

It was a whole other life. I got to do songs like “L.A. Woman,” which, obviously, Jim Morrison never performed live. There were so many memorable and intimate moments.

[www.kansascity.com]

Looking back, this really showed in his performance.

Thanks for posting this

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: November 25, 2017 19:38

Winning Ugly VXII
Koen
loog droog

And Bill.

Many say they were never the same after Brian left and lost most of the magic (spoken as a devil's advocate).

No Jones, no Stones!!!

Date: November 26, 2017 01:36

GasLightStreet
rattler2004

As close as anyone can get to Morrison, though. Astbury did a great job - and was incredibly humbled by the experience, not just singing Morrison's words.

Q: In 2002, you became part of the Doors of the 21st Century. What did that experience mean to you?

A: I thought it was necessary because Ray (Manzarek) and Robby (Krieger) really wanted the opportunity to play these songs one more time.

So when I was asked, I immediately said yes, and I knew immediately it wasn’t going to be an easy ride. I’m going to get beaten to the ground because people have such a reverent and personal identification with Jim Morrison and the Doors. I knew it came with a huge responsibility.

And being a Doors fan/devotee, it meant a lot to me. So I immersed myself in the music and in the subtext. I had Ray and Robbie kind of mentor me.

Every show, every rehearsal, every encounter was a learning experience, even just having dinner with Ray on my own, for example, was a learning encounter. He was a mentor, a friend.

I did 150 shows with Ray and Robbie, and it reached a point where I felt that everything that could have been done was done. We toured the world, I had the experience and I felt it was time to move on. But it was very hard to leave, knowing I’d never perform those songs again. It was like, take one of your favorite experiences or most incredible romances and rip that from your heart and never do it ever again. It was an incredible sacrifice, but I knew it was necessary. I had to get out and move on from that.

It was a whole other life. I got to do songs like “L.A. Woman,” which, obviously, Jim Morrison never performed live. There were so many memorable and intimate moments.

[www.kansascity.com]

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: November 26, 2017 11:57

________________ should NOT continue without ____________.

The Rolling Stones...Jagger or Richards.

Kiss...Gene Simmons or Paul Stanley.

Foreigner...Mick Jones.

The Who...John Entwhistle (too late).

AC/DC...Brian Young (too late).

Posted by: ycagwywpmd ()
Date: November 27, 2017 16:23

There's a photo on my wall of five young men: BW BJ KR CW and MJ.
And they called themselves The Rolling Stones
Then, one died, one left, there was a bit of uncertainty as others tried their hand. Then they borrowed RW from the Faces, who, to some, still looks like he's on loan. (Love you Ronnie!)
And they still call themselves The Rolling Stones
And they are the Rolling Stones, now.

So what's so different?

I've been to see eg The Who, with people who say 'Not the original lineup? Really?' , proving it's not necessarily that important, to lots of people anyway. I think lots of people think, if the newcomer can perform to a similar standard/overall sound, then it's ok. People will decide with their wallets and their feet. So I don't think it matters if any band tries to continue with different people.

With one exception, of course.........

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: November 27, 2017 16:30

any band that persists without the driving force of their lead singer ison a sticky wicket, but hey, money talks.

Examples that spring to mind that have underwhelmed & disappointed me recently are
Queen, Inxs, Big Country, & thr latest incarnation of AC-DC.
there's so much new, vibrant & fresh music out there to discover, in my opinion, it's a waste of valuable time & money indulging hired hands to regurgitate past glories in the name of nostalgia.

Date: November 27, 2017 16:33

Hairball
rattler2004

As for the Doors of the 21st Century, at least they had the courtesy to alter the name, but I think eventually there was some legal friction between John Densmore vs. Manzarek and Krieger?
If I'm not mistaken Densmore didn't want them to even use the altered/updated name. I never saw them, but in hindsight I kind of wish I did (RIP Ray).

They only altered the name after Densmore threatened to take it to court (Doors Of The 21st Century). After he did, they had to change the band name to «Riders Of The Storm». The were billed «The Doors» on two shows, though: One tv-performance and one regular show, if memory serves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-27 16:38 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: November 27, 2017 16:36

StonedInTokyo
________________ should NOT continue without ____________.

The Rolling Stones...Jagger or Richards.

Kiss...Gene Simmons or Paul Stanley.

Foreigner...Mick Jones.

The Who...John Entwhistle (too late).

AC/DC...Brian Young (too late).

They did that throughout their career smoking smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 27, 2017 18:39

There's a some what natural progression or evolution with the stones that gives what they are in 2017 an authenticity and credibility that other big name, old bands don;t have.

It's not THAT Rolling Stones, ie the original beat combo that conquered the world in 60's, but it's still the Rolling Stones after all the ups and downs that all bands go through... after all that, there they are, still going. smoking smiley

The changes in membership reflects changes in music, the inclusion of supporting musicians through the years and those associations being maintained keeps that side of things related enough too.

Most bands break up, I kinda think the stones did in 80's, but just never really finalised it so the story is essentially unbroken since 1962.

Like all things Brian, there's importance, but also wonkyness. Absolutely vital ingredient in so many ways, what he was as a musician is still kind of in them to this day. But, we have to remember that, for what ever reasons, he nearly left the band in 1967 and actually did so in 1969.

He opted to step aside from a story he had a big influence in creating.

Essentially though, once started the stones soon became a vehicle for Mick and Keith songs and musically it's those songs that defines them for the most part. By 1968 it's clearly the Mick and Keith band with a stellar line up of musicians, engineers etc onboard the collective bus to help realise those songs in to being.

One could look at the beginnings of the band and see it as fate creating situations to allow those songs to come in to existence. Imagine the world without them!? Eek!

I guess I'm saying that the Rolling Stones can exist so long as Mick and Keith want it to. If Charlie were to stop playing or pass on, aside from perhaps a tribute thing, I really doubt they would continue the band as an ongoing thing.

I don't think they'll ever say it's over though.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 28, 2017 00:57

Never a truer word spoken His Majesty ......

Ya read the put-downs everyday ...
But they're still there like a true friend wonkiness and all ...... LDXFX

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: November 28, 2017 01:07

If Charlie were to stop playing or pass on, aside from perhaps a tribute thing, I really doubt they would continue the band as an ongoing thing.

I think out there in the main stream folks do not under stand how important Charlie is to the sound of the Stones. I think many peoiple who post here do, but the average tourist may not even know his name. I would bet money Keef and Mick understand Charlie's style and "what ever the right word is" beats down in the engine room can not be replicated.

That is the thing with drums, which I did not understand until I started to try to learn to play drums to lay down tracks to play guitar over. When it came time to try to play some Stones songs the guitars parts are easy.... but laying down the drums and really really listening to Charlies drums... it was like "Huh?" "What is even going on there with Mr Watts' beat". It aint normal... but it is amazing... and it works perfectly for this band and although tourist may not know it, I think they might "hear it" "something is off" if/when the Stones ever tried to play without Charlies Drums.

TL/DR I agree 100% that without Charlie the Stones would probably call it quits.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 28, 2017 01:10

..... ya cant relace Mick .. Keith ... or Charlie ....

ROCKMAN

Date: November 28, 2017 01:16

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
rattler2004

They only altered the name after Densmore threatened to take it to court (Doors Of The 21st Century). After he did, they had to change the band name to «Riders Of The Storm». The were billed «The Doors» on two shows, though: One tv-performance and one regular show, if memory serves.

What I meant was they didn't just go out as "The Doors" to begin with, and had the courtesy to change it to "The Doors of the 21st Century" - an alteration of "The Doors" (perhaps out of respect to Jim, the Doors legacy, and probably due to the fact that Densmore wan't involved). And then they had a problem with Densmore who made them change it again...isn't that sort of what I had said above?

But now you're saying they might have even used the Doors name for a show or two which I was unaware of.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: November 28, 2017 01:46

the stones had 5 original members, 1 was replaced twice, and 1 left, they still have 3 of those members left, if one of them leaves or dies then the band has to finish up.

queen should have quit when freddie died.

the doors too when jim died.

the situations where bands are still the same band but with no original members is stupid.

there are no rules or specific guidelines as to when a band becomes different,or does not exist, most people have their own opinions.

Date: November 28, 2017 02:15

Silver Dagger
Dr Feelgood

Once Wilko left I lost interest.

Scotty
Irvine, CA

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1644
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home