Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Well, dang it, I have Parkinson's Disease
Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: November 22, 2017 20:06

When you get in your 60s, I guess SOMETHING is gonna get you, right, and there are a lot worse things to come down with.

My sense of humor has gotten me through a lot of rough times in my life, and I think it will help me through this as well.

Should be extra easy to play the tambourine now! All I have to do is grab one, and instant music!

I want to tell my band members we should learn songs like "Shake Rattle and Roll," or Los Lobos's "Shakity Shakity Shake!" cool smiley

As a writer and a musician, I plan on focusing some of my energies towards fund raising here in the Atlanta area, maybe a new book for kids, or some shows around town with the various bands I play around with.

I felt the need to reach out to my IORR friends today. Anyone else out there either with Parkinson's, or a care giver to a Parkinson's patient? Suggestions on ways to cope with it?

(Guess I could always play "My Green Tamourine" by the Lemon Pipers, but I've always hated that tune..... )

As always, cheers!

Re: OT: Well, dang it, I have Parkinson's Disease
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 22, 2017 20:09

Best wishes to you Mongoose - I admire your positive outlook and your sense of humor. thumbs up

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 22, 2017 20:11

Sending you my best wishes and a most Happy Thanksgiving .I have found for myself that trying as best as you can to keep a positive attitude always helps because stinking thinking makes life harder than it has to be .I hope this helps and may the good Lord bless you .

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: November 22, 2017 20:19

Attitude is everything and yours is a good one. I wish you and your family/friends all the best going forward. Your IORR pals are here for you!

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: November 22, 2017 20:22

Thanks so much, everyone!

I hope all of you have a GREAT Thanksgiving!

smileys with beer

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 22, 2017 20:23

Sorry to hear about that, Mongoose. Best wishes to you!

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: November 22, 2017 20:33

Mongoose,

It truly says something about this place that you chose to share your diagnosis here...and for that I say 'Thank You!'

I can't offer up any medical advice but you've already got the right attitude.
Keep Going and Keep Smiling.

Music has a certain unexplainable healing power so...
ROCK ON!

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: November 22, 2017 20:37

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis I wish you all the best and keep up your positive attitude it can only help.
Just the other night I watched something on television about a guy who had some kind of medical condition that caused his body to have uncontrollable shakes but as soon as he started to smoke marijuana the shakes completely stopped and he was able to feel relaxed and healthy.

Nate

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 22, 2017 20:38

All the best to you Mongoose!

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 22, 2017 20:38

Lousy news indeed, Mongoose, and sending you sympathy and best wishes for successful treatment options. Attitude, and humour, do help, as does the support of those around you. You’ve got the first bit nailed down, that’s clear! (Don’t overlook Margaritas!) Seriously - good luck gathering info, marshalling support, and with treatment, or clinical trials, or whatever else might be offered to you. Fight on and rock on!

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: November 22, 2017 20:55

Sorry to hear that, i have a close friend with same, but as one poster has already said, its all in the mind, don't get pulled into big pharma drugs that kill you off quicker, stay positive and keep your humour. smiling smiley

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: November 22, 2017 20:58

Take it One day at a Time.. Good luck.
As she said ROCK ON.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 22, 2017 21:08

bad news ... good luck

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: November 22, 2017 21:23

I wish you strength!

Date: November 22, 2017 21:24

Hang in there, mate!

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: November 22, 2017 21:34

Sorry to read this.

Wishing you all the best.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: November 22, 2017 21:39

Hang in there—.
We are all shakey rattley and rollin’ too.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: November 22, 2017 21:45

All the best to you, Mongoose! I can't offer any insights into Parkinson's but, I've long said that, on the topic of "It's Mind Over Matter" that, "If you don't mind, it doesn't matter". I'm thinking that your mind is in a pretty good place to deal with this matter!

Hope you have a great holiday! And, as I'm "just up the road" from you in Knoxville, TN, if I can ever offer any assistance with any of your future fundraising activities, please let me know!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 22, 2017 21:49

Mongoose
My sense of humor has gotten me through a lot of rough times in my life, and I think it will help me through this as well.

Ok!
The good thing about Parkinson's is you can go buy an electric guitar and in no time you can master Slayer or Metallica songs. The disease really helps mastering the right hand staccato that's crucial to play these songs. winking smiley

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: November 22, 2017 21:53

A friend of mine's husband has Parkinson's and the last I heard he's doing fine and coping well. They live in Scotland so I haven't seen them in quite awhile but he's still golfing and gardening and getting on with life.

I'm sure there are so many therapies and treatments. I suggest researching websites on the Internet and work out a plan with your physician. The Mayo Clinic website is a great resource IMO. Eat well...exercise!! Maybe you can start doing some physical therapy to keep yourself strong and limber for starters.

I wish you the best. Please keep us posted.smiling smiley

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 22, 2017 22:04

So sorry to hear about your illness.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 22, 2017 22:12

Sorry to hear. I have a friend who has Parkinson's. Great artist and musician, but Parkinson's has limited him. A key is to keep physically active with lots of body movement. Interestingly, in researching ways to help my friend, boxing came up as a great aid for folks with Parkinson's. You may want to check it out. My friend has also been getting acupuncture treatments which he says have helped him in dealing with the physical aspects of his Parkinson's so that he is able to play some guitar again and sing. I wish you well in learning about and controlling your Parkinson's.

Posted by: Niek ()
Date: November 22, 2017 22:22

Sorry to hear that Mongoose.
Wishimg you wel.
Worked with Bas Bloem and this man is great.
This is his twitteraccount.
He post often news about Parkinsons desease.
[twitter.com]

(Always took candy from strangers)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-23 18:39 by Niek.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 22, 2017 22:32

Oh man, that sucks. Every illnes sucks. Sure hope you find a way to cope with it. Will have a drink on your health, or probably a couple. Maybe it helps smileys with beer Cheers

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 22, 2017 22:34

best wishes to you. how about "you shook me all night long"? winking smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 22, 2017 22:58

Dude, I got into my 60s in great shape. Much better than my cigarette smoking friends. Then I got throat cancer, from HPV. That's right, from sex. Cancer. A year after chemo and radiation I'm still recovering, but I can see some light. They're making advances in dealing with Parkinson, and I wish you all the best.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: November 22, 2017 23:45

Be strong, Mongoose. Best wishes to you!

Posted by: laurel ()
Date: November 22, 2017 23:45

So sorry to hear this! I know that dealing with chronic illness is quite a challenge, but with your positive attitude, you will conquer it! Take care, and remember you have friends here who care. <3

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 23, 2017 01:11

All the best with handling this mate. Be positive.

Rod

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: November 23, 2017 01:32

Hang in there mate

I have a close friend with Parkinson's

He recently went to hospital and had that brain surgery that Terry from Ray Donovan had. It's amazing, he went from 7 pills a day to one half pill.
He has like a pacemaker thing in him, and has a remote control which he can adjust. When he 'turns himself on' it's amazing. His shakes dissapear, no posturing, no shuffling, no head wobble or eye popping.
It's changed his life.
Not sure of your whole situation, but it may be worth considering if things progress.
He also hosts a radio show on Radio Parkies, an online radio sttaion run by those living with Parkinson's around the world.
Anyway, my mate lives just up the road, we still surf together and only 2 weeks ago got together for a jam where he showed me his scars and his 'remote control'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-23 01:34 by Deathgod.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1866
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home