Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT--Not RIP Charles Manson
Date: November 22, 2017 00:43

It's a shame he was aloud to live for such a long time. He will NOT be missed.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 22, 2017 00:46

Oh, the WEEKLY STANDARD! Hey, no bias there.

It was only founded by neocon godfather and Iraq War architect Bill "The Bloody" Kristol (who has actually pulled his head out of his ass in the last year and completely renounced your boy, Trump) and was owned at one time by sleazeball extraordinaire, Rupert Murdoch.

Why don't you post a Fox News article next time?

I'm not particularly interested in knowing anything about you; it's just that you expose yourself more with every political tirade. Just admit you're a Republican hack and get it over with...you'll feel better about yourself once you come out of the closet and admit what you are to everyone. Transparency is important.

Date: November 22, 2017 16:25

stonehearted
Cultural significance? Just because he name-checked a Beatles song or two? Ah, no.

This thread is just an excuse for people to vent about capital punishment and politics.

Charles Manson is no more an icon for the 60s than Ted Bundy was for law students.

He murdered seven people, including Sharon Tate (is she not a 60s icon to you, either?), the Folger coffee heiress, an unborn child, and others.

While capital punishment and politics will come up in conversations like these, how could they not? If you fool yourself for one second by saying that neither of these two things has any meaning in regards to Charles Manson, you might as well say the moon is made of cheese. Your argument is wrong and ridiculous.

Finally, let's look at the definition of icon:

Icon: a person or thing regarded as a representative symbol of something.

Charles Manson is considered an icon of the 60s because he ended the Summer of Love revolution. The Tate Murders ended the feel-good vibes of 1967. Charles Manson is was, also mentioned in this thread, considered the Devil on earth. That sounds like an icon to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-22 16:25 by BeforeTheyMakeMeRun.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: November 22, 2017 17:48

Sighunt
I have never been a proponent of the death penalty as a blanket sanction for all capitol crimes (with the exception of cop killers & killing by terrorists), but in this instance, Manson and his followers probably should have gotten the death penalty for their heinous acts against humanity....

I am on the fence also. Bugliosi pointed out that Manson actually escaped justice in all of this. Bugliosi who studied Manson knew that Manson did not mind prison, he had been there half his life and prison life was fine with Manson.

I would be ok with the death penalty if no mistakes were made. I don't think that should be that hard to do. There are cases when there was no doubt about the guilt.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 23, 2017 05:58

From the Ventura County Reporter - a free weekly local newspaper:

MANSON IS DEAD

MANSON IS DEAD | Local recalls the notorious criminal mastermind’s stop in Ventura County

Nov 21, 2017 | Ivor Davis, News, Ventura County

The headline on a story in a Ventura County daily newspaper in April 1968 was intriguing although not particularly threatening: “Nine Nude Hippies Arrested: Found Huddled Around Bonfire”

Readers, of course, wanted to know more.

What was happening in our staid and peaceable county? Could it be that San Francisco’s “Peace, Make Love Not War” slogans had crash-landed in Ventura County? The news story contained a few sparse details. There was a 1952 rickety-looking gray-green-painted school bus, which, for reasons unknown, was being driven by a bearded man with piercing eyes, who identified himself as Charles Manson. The bus had skidded off the road and ended up in a deep ditch on Deer Creek Mountain Road, 5 miles south of Point Mugu — not exactly a main tourist thoroughfare. And rumor had it that the bus may have been stolen from San Francisco. Police arrived and were surprised to see nubile young women running around naked despite the chill. The girls were trying to warm themselves by the bonfire, as if this was just another routine gathering for a July 4th nudist convention.

The night was crisp and blowy but what worried the cops most was the appearance of a tiny baby, barely a week old. The baby, named Steven (or so they were told), was shivering in the arms of his mother, a woman who identified herself as Mary Brunner. (Police didn’t know it at the time, but the baby had been born one week earlier — in an abandoned house in Topanga Canyon as Charles Manson, the father of the newborn, coached several of the female bus passengers to help make the home delivery.) Charlie’s contribution, according to one: “He bit off the baby’s umbilical cord.” Much to the chagrin of Ms. Brunner, the baby was taken to Ventura County General Hospital for safekeeping and a medical check.

While local cops determined whether the crippled bus was stolen, they decided to remove all the women and place them under arrest for minor charges, including vagrancy and false identification. Manson, the bus driver — of no known address — was booked in the local county jail as prisoner No. 47623. He had produced two driver’s licenses. Another of the women, who was booked for “disorderly conduct and not having proper identification,” was a 20-year-old woman who gave her name as Sadie Glutz. Glutz, however, was not her real name. It had been a name bestowed upon her by Manson. Her birth name was Susan Atkins. A few days later the bus (and baby) had been retrieved, the arrestees all released, and they resumed their journey, which took them to their new home: a beaten-up old spread on Topanga Canyon known as the Spahn Movie Ranch.

Eighteen months later the very same Susan Atkins, who had been arrested on suspicion of the murder of a Los Angeles musician named Gary Hinman, began boasting to her prison cellmate about Los Angeles’ most notorious unsolved murder case. In her gruesome confession she admitted to being a key figure who had played a major role in the brutal slaughter of seven people in Beverly Hills and Los Angeles over a two-night period in August 1969. Among the murdered was eight-months-pregnant actress Sharon Tate, wife of film director Roman Polanski.

And thus this week — almost 50 years later — the latest chapter in the heinous legacy of Charles Manson, played out with the death of Manson. There was no mourning for the man who had become the personification of evil. Ventura County had been a pit stop on the Manson Family’s twisted journey to unimaginable carnage. Its aftermath traumatized the nation. Writer Joan Didion, in *The White Album, her 1979 book of essays, put it this way: “Many people I know in Los Angeles believed that the Sixties ended abruptly on Aug. 9, 1969.”

Never read or even heard of this book (cited above), but might be interesting.

Joan Didon - The White Album: Essays (FSG Classics)

"First published in 1979, The White Album records indelibly the upheavals and aftermaths of the 1960s. Examining key events, figures, and trends of the era?including Charles Manson, the Black Panthers, and the shopping mall?through the lens of her own spiritual confusion, Joan Didion helped to define mass culture as we now understand it. Written with a commanding sureness of tone and linguistic precision, The White Album is a central text of American reportage and a classic of American autobiography".

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-23 06:00 by Hairball.

Posted by: NWSooner ()
Date: November 23, 2017 06:50

StonedInTokyo
Aquamarine
The thought of just one innocent person being executed is worse to me than the thought of a guilty person locked up for decades.

Really? So by that logic, any thoughts on six million abortions?

EXACTLY!

Posted by: NWSooner ()
Date: November 23, 2017 06:55

"Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed, for God made man in his own image." Genesis 9:6

Carry on People!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 23, 2017 08:50

keefriff99

It was only founded by neocon godfather and Iraq War architect Bill "The Bloody" Kristol (who has actually pulled his head out of his ass in the last year and completely renounced your boy, Trump) and was owned at one time by sleazeball extraordinaire, Rupert Murdoch.

I'm not particularly interested in knowing anything about you; it's just that you expose yourself more with every political tirade. Just admit you're a Republican hack and get it over with...you'll feel better about yourself once you come out of the closet and admit what you are to everyone. Transparency is important.

Oh, lord, what a tool.

Further proof that I'm just too intelligent for the Corporation quagmire of U.S. politics.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 23, 2017 09:45

NWSooner
StonedInTokyo
Aquamarine
The thought of just one innocent person being executed is worse to me than the thought of a guilty person locked up for decades.

Really? So by that logic, any thoughts on six million abortions?

EXACTLY!

I'm very interested in the reasons for your assumptions about my position on abortion, which I didn't state one way or the other and which you may be surprised by, although I still think you've shoehorned it into this discussion.

Back to Manson.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 23, 2017 14:54

Bellajane
LeonidP
would have been nice to hear of him apologizing for all he did, on his deathbed ... guess that didn't happen

Apologize!! Last night I saw an interview of him from the 80's and when asked if he felt guilty about his crimes he responded by saying he only felt guilty because he didn't kill enough people. He should have killed 500. This guy was nuts. I guess he was diagnosed with schizophrenia and paranoid delusions. Not to mention extraordinarily narcissistic and evil.

um, yes. you don't usually apologize if you didn't do something wrong. I'm not saying we all forgive or let it go, I am saying it would be nice if we knew he had some regret about it. There was never evidence of that.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 23, 2017 22:17

Herald Sun -- 24 November 2017

ROCKMAN

Date: November 23, 2017 22:57

"laid to rest with the honour, respect, & dignity he deserves..."...that he deserves?!!! eye rolling smiley

No disrespect to the dead (well maybe just a bit in this case), but might be more appropriate to have him cremated and his ashes scattered across Death Valley in the 120 F degree desert.
Or whatever they supposedly did to Osama Bin Laden...drop him off a ship in the middle of nowhere.

But imagine if they try to have him (or his ashes) buried in a cemetery somewhere...it would turn into a congregation of Manson followers forever.
I'm sure there would be public outcry amongst those who have relatives buried there (and everyone else who lives in the city and state), but not sure if he can be denied?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-23 23:00 by Hairball.

Date: November 23, 2017 23:06

^^^^^^^^^^ same as what they did with Brady ....

ROCKMAN

Date: November 24, 2017 03:44

The latest via TMZ:

Charles Manson Funeral Drive Shut Down By GoFundMe

Charles Manson's dead body can rot in prison ... at least as far as GoFundMe is concerned.

The fundraising site shutdown an effort to pay for the murderer's funeral expenses. As TMZ reported, John Michael Jones used GoFundMe to pay for Manson's burial expenses and he raised $972 before the page was 86'd from the site. John says he was raising the money for Manson's grandson, Jason Freeman, who would then give Manson a proper burial. John Michael Jones is furious, saying "It breaks my heart to see Jason [Mason's grandson] now suffering from the same prejudices, hate, discrimination and deliberate lies that his grandfather endured for 48 years."

As for why GoFundMe torpedoed the fundraising effort, a rep from the site told TMZ, "We removed this content earlier today and refunded donors." The rep did not explain why the page was objectionable, but it's not hard to figure out. Manson was a monster. John Michael Jones says he's not quitting ... he's crossed over to PayPal. TMZ broke the story... if no one claims Manson's body within 10 days of his death, he will be cremated.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 24, 2017 04:44

Please no grave....before you know it it will be a place of pilgrimage .

Date: November 24, 2017 04:51

Lengthier article from the Daily News rag with quotes from Manson's grandson.

Charles Manson’s grandson seeks 'another way' to bury cult leader after GoFundMe shuts down campaign

Also some thoughts from Sharon Tate's sister regarding Manson's death:

"Sharon Tate's sister Debra Tate has been a vocal advocate for keeping Manson's disciples in prison despite regular parole hearings. She told The News late Sunday that she actually said a prayer for Manson after getting a call from prison officials about his death. "I shed a tear for him. When I got the phone call at 8:30 that he had died, I said a prayer, shed a tear, stuck a flower under my cross in my bedroom and emailed Roman (Polanski)," Debra Tate said. "I've processed through all of my hate for him. Hate isn't healthy. It won't bring my sister back. One could say I've forgiven him, but there's a difference between forgiving and forgetting," she said. "He was sociopathic and very dangerous, like his followers. He was the root of the problems, but he was the least of my worries. He wasn't trying to get out of prison," she said, referring to his convicted followers. "I sit across from these monsters many times a year, and I know very clearly they're still capable of heinous acts," she said. "For that reason, I've dedicated myself to seeing they stay right where they are until they draw their last breath, so they can't hurt anyone else."'

Date: November 26, 2017 00:22

Herald Sun -- 26 November 2017

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: November 26, 2017 20:59

The Kirkwood Family (aka The Meat Puppets) reconvened with their original drummer, Derek Bostrum, for a day after Thanksgiving show in Phoenix, Arizona on Friday night, and rolled out a Manson Family>Partridge Family tribute of "Garbage Dump>C'mon Everyone Get Happy":

[m.youtube.com]

Date: November 26, 2017 21:10

Javadave
The Kirkwood Family (aka The Meat Puppets) reconvened with their original drummer, Derek Bostrum, for a day after Thanksgiving show in Phoenix, Arizona on Friday night, and rolled out a Manson Family>Partridge Family tribute of "Garbage Dump>C'mon Everyone Get Happy":

[m.youtube.com]

Nice - I've always liked the Meat Puppets! thumbs up

And this "Family Medley"...it's like devils meeting angels in perfect harmonious unity.

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: November 26, 2017 21:45

Manson's grandson lives by my house in Florida.

His name is Jason Freeman.

I've talked to him a few times, nice enough guy I guess.

He says his dad was Charles Manson Jr., who changed his name to Jay White and eventually killed himself in Colorado because he couldn't handle being Manson's kid. Can't blame the guy.

Bonus Uncle Charlie Fun Fact: Vincent Bugliosi, the guy who prosecuted Manson using the whole Helter Skelter premise, was born in Hibbing, Minnesota, same small town Bob Dylan grew up in.

Also born in Hibbing was Roger Maris, whose 61 home runs in 1961 broke Babe Ruth's single-season record (no steroids, either) and Kevin McHale, former Boston Celtics great who is in the basketball Hall of Fame

(My aunt Barb used to live in Hibbing too.)

Date: November 26, 2017 21:55

Vincent Bugliosi, the guy who prosecuted Manson using the whole Helter Skelter premise, was born in Hibbing, Minnesota,

Kinda Interesting .... thanks

ROCKMAN

Date: November 26, 2017 22:03

stonehearted
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
Charles Manson is considered an icon of the 60s because he ended the Summer of Love revolution. The Tate Murders ended the feel-good vibes of 1967.
Um, but those murders were over 2 years later...

Uh, wait -- I thought it was Altamont and the Hells Angels that ended the so-called "Summer of Love". You know, those spotty drop-outs that George Harrison talked about in Haight-Ashbury, when he visited there in the Summer of Drugs.

Charles Manson, a "cultural" icon?

You know what? I am just about sick and tired of this IORR message board forum, and I am just as sick and tired of this so-called "Rolling Stones fandom".

Se y'all later -- I'll bond with my record collection instead....

Part of the purpose of message boards is to have discussions. If you choose to not participate, that's a shame. I agree that Altamont did play a role in ending the Summer of Love, but please understand that I think it was not just one 'thing' ending the movement, but a collection. Altamont, Manson, and the ongoing Vietnam War are what I consider the three main culprits in ending the Summer of Love.

Date: November 26, 2017 23:40

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
stonehearted
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
Charles Manson is considered an icon of the 60s because he ended the Summer of Love revolution. The Tate Murders ended the feel-good vibes of 1967.

Uh, wait -- I thought it was Altamont and the Hells Angels that ended the so-called "Summer of Love". You know, those spotty drop-outs that George Harrison talked about in Haight-Ashbury, when he visited there in the Summer of Drugs.

You know what? I am just about sick and tired of this IORR message board forum, and I am just as sick and tired of this so-called "Rolling Stones fandom".

Part of the purpose of message boards is to have discussions. If you choose to not participate, that's a shame. I agree that Altamont did play a role in ending the Summer of Love, but please understand that I think it was not just one 'thing' ending the movement, but a collection. Altamont, Manson, and the ongoing Vietnam War are what I consider the three main culprits in ending the Summer of Love.

The whole debate confuses me, to be honest. Altamont was 1969, yes? And the Summer of Love was 1967? What am I missing here?

Date: November 27, 2017 01:27

Aquamarine
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
stonehearted
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun

The whole debate confuses me, to be honest. Altamont was 1969, yes? And the Summer of Love was 1967? What am I missing here?

I think BeforeTheyMakeMeRun meant The Tate Murders ended the feel-good vibes that began in 1967.

I agree that it was not one single even that ended the "feel good" peace and love vibe of the late '60's, but a culmination of bad vibes that were happening (Vietnam, Altamont, Manson, etc., etc., etc.).

Good Vibrations turned into Gimme Shelter.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 27, 2017 21:45

keefriff99

What's wrong with hearing 2 differing opinions and making up your own mind?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 28, 2017 20:05

Rockman
Vincent Bugliosi, the guy who prosecuted Manson using the whole Helter Skelter premise, was born in Hibbing, Minnesota,

Kinda Interesting .... thanks

Yes, Vincent Bugliosi became famous for the Manson case. He's written a couple books on it. I also remember him well from an HBO mid-80's mock 'retrial' special, of Oswald/JFK assassination. He prosecuted Oswald as the lone assassin and won, as the evidence is overwhelming, despite the conspiracy theories.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 28, 2017 21:37

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun

Charles Manson is considered an icon of the 60s because he ended the Summer of Love revolution.

Did it really start? Isn't that another great myth the boomers have been toying with forever? The SOL took off in Frisco L.A. and where else? In Iowa? In Alabama? I don't think ti did.

And even in L.A. it was largely faked. A Hollywood insider tells stories of these hardcore conservative 50-sth media moguls suddenly wearing flower shirts and peace signs around their neck to be "hip". They'd also let their mansions open at night 'cause "locking doors is so uncool"
That was artificial silly and ridiculous. It was a trend it was a fag... and it quickly ended with the Manson killings.

"The Summer of Love" is a myth that sells well with Millenials. Mick and Keef these wise cynical and smart dudes probably saw the BS in all this from the very beginning.

Manson was a loser, he ahd a terrible childhood and a terrible life till he discovered he had a way with women**. He's not a symbol or an "icon" of anything.

** = i'd like to see feminists explain to us how women could bring themselves to killing innocent and more importantly a pregnant woman. So far I haven't seen at attempt at explaining that.

Ladies... smoking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-28 21:41 by dcba.

Date: November 28, 2017 23:49

dcba
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun

Charles Manson is considered an icon of the 60s because he ended the Summer of Love revolution.

Did it really start? Isn't that another great myth the boomers have been toying with forever? The SOL took off in Frisco L.A. and where else? In Iowa? In Alabama? I don't think ti did.

And even in L.A. it was largely faked. A Hollywood insider tells stories of these hardcore conservative 50-sth media moguls suddenly wearing flower shirts and peace signs around their neck to be "hip". They'd also let their mansions open at night 'cause "locking doors is so uncool"
That was artificial silly and ridiculous. It was a trend it was a fag... and it quickly ended with the Manson killings.

"The Summer of Love" is a myth that sells well with Millenials. Mick and Keef these wise cynical and smart dudes probably saw the BS in all this from the very beginning.

Manson was a loser, he ahd a terrible childhood and a terrible life till he discovered he had a way with women**. He's not a symbol or an "icon" of anything.

** = i'd like to see feminists explain to us how women could bring themselves to killing innocent and more importantly a pregnant woman. So far I haven't seen at attempt at explaining that.

Ladies... smoking smiley

I was in London during the Summer of Love, and it was definitely not a myth.

(As for your point about feminists, I don't see the logic--the point of feminism isn't to defend everything every woman does, no matter how heinous.)

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: November 29, 2017 00:02

NWSooner
"Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed, for God made man in his own image." Genesis 9:6

Carry on People!

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: November 29, 2017 00:20

Just reading some things online...as much as I can stand reading about this monster...anyway his sister (never knew he had one), his cousin and childhood acquaintances have said that Manson would manipulate his grade school classmates (mostly female) into attacking other classmates that he didn't like. When reprimanded he denied doing this and said that they wouldn't have done anything they wouldn't have wanted to do anyway. He's always said that. Kind of a serial killer by proxy. Not sure if he's ever killed anyone personally or at least he's never been convicted. I know he randomly chose the LaBianca's home and tied them up before their murder. He let his goons finish the job. Hope they cremate him and throw his ashes into the ocean. Just get rid or him.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1564
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home