Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Make Mick Jagger & The Red Devils an official release
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 22, 2017 16:27

TheflyingDutchman
The Rolling Stones have a designer-sloppines that makes them fill stadiums and sell albums. It doesn't necessarily mean that they are the holy grail when it comes to playing the Chicago blues stuff like they do on Blue and Lonesome. Anyway, thanks for bringing up The Red Devils (and Jagger), what a relief. Was Keith ever given a copy of this band's efforts? I bet he likes it a lot.

i love the description 'designer- sloppiness'

that is a big part of the Stones thing.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 22, 2017 18:45

For some reason, it took 30 plus years to release the Checkerboard Lounge set.

So...we might still get The Red Devils tracks in the next decade. Perhaps.

Posted by: Duked ()
Date: May 6, 2020 14:54

Hi folks!

In the description of the Jagger & Red Devils studio recording on the internet, there is this line:
"During a short tour of England in March and April 1993, Jagger joined the band for several performances"

Is this true? No other trace of this on the internet anywhere. Not even in the Stones day by day history pages (time is on our side).
Does anyone know is this true? If so, does a recording exist of any of the live shows?

Thanks!
Duked

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 6, 2020 15:38

DandelionPowderman

Rubin is rarely there when records are made, but he pops by time and again, to touch base and check out how it's going. He's a very untraditional producer, and i can totally understand that he wasn't a good match with Mick, with this approach.

"rarely there when records are made" that's certainly his motto these days (cos he can "produce" many artists at the same time and pocket more money?) but back then I think it was the opposite.

He really drove Mick over the edge questioning everything, always demanding that Mick could do better.
And the Red Devils sessions was a way for Rubin to connect Mick with his blues roots (sth Mick probably wanted to avoid at all costs. Mick's motto is : look for new sounds).

In short : Rubin busted Mick's ass and in retrospect WS is Jagger's best solo album.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 6, 2020 16:59

dcba
DandelionPowderman

Rubin is rarely there when records are made, but he pops by time and again, to touch base and check out how it's going. He's a very untraditional producer, and i can totally understand that he wasn't a good match with Mick, with this approach.

"rarely there when records are made" that's certainly his motto these days (cos he can "produce" many artists at the same time and pocket more money?) but back then I think it was the opposite.

He really drove Mick over the edge questioning everything, always demanding that Mick could do better.
And the Red Devils sessions was a way for Rubin to connect Mick with his blues roots (sth Mick probably wanted to avoid at all costs. Mick's motto is : look for new sounds).

In short : Rubin busted Mick's ass and in retrospect WS is Jagger's best solo album.

I think it also depends on the artist. Apparently, he was "there" producing Johnny Cash in the 90's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-06 17:00 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: May 6, 2020 17:26

I had this bootleg and sold it back to a local record store years ago. I remember it feeling quite stiff, but it's been awhile since I've heard it. IMHO, 'Blue and Lonesome' is FAR superior, rich with swagger. My memory is that the Red Devils thing was too clean and generic sounding.

Date: May 6, 2020 18:09

TravelinMan

Apparently, he was "there" producing Johnny Cash in the 90's.

Yes that's what I was (clumsily?) saying : in the early 90's Rubin was working closely with the artist. Maybe Mick found Rubin to be too close and too involved : he thought he hired a "yes man" and he found himself building an album with a guy who'd argue about everything. For the promo of "spirit" Jagger admitted to a journo : "Rubin was worse than Keef!".

By the 2000's Rubin was obviously "wholesaling" his talents : dropping into the studio, listening to in-progress works with his eyes closed and then saying "that's good. Keep working" then disappearing for a few weeks... while pocketing boocoo money drinking smiley

Date: May 7, 2020 18:45

So... Does anyone know anything about this?

Duked
In the description of the Jagger & Red Devils studio recording on the internet, there is this line:
"During a short tour of England in March and April 1993, Jagger joined the band for several performances"

Is this true? No other trace of this on the internet anywhere. Not even in the Stones day by day history pages (time is on our side).
Does anyone know is this true? If so, does a recording exist of any of the live shows?

Date: September 14, 2020 18:07

Duked
Nobody.....? Is this (Jagger joined them love) true at all?

Duked

Date: September 14, 2020 18:29

Duked
Nobody.....? Is this (Jagger joined them love) true at all?

1st: April: THE RED DEVILS. London, Roberto’s

MJ jams with The Red Devils, incl. (all unverified):
- Checkin’ Up On My Baby (Sonny Boy Williamson)
- Who Do You Love? (Ellas McDaniel)
Line-up: MJ (voc)/Dave Lee Bartel (gtr)/Paul Size (gtr)/Johnny Ray Bartel
(bass)/Bill Bateman (dr)/Gene Taylor (p)/Lester Butler (voc, harm)

[nzentgraf.de]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 14, 2020 18:55

920518C 18th May : THE RED DEVILS. Los Angeles, King King
MJ jams with The Red Devils
Line-up: MJ (voc)/Dave Lee Bartel (gtr)/Paul Size (gtr)/Johnny Ray Bartel
(bass)/Bill Bateman (dr)/Rob Rio (p)/Lester Butler (voc, harm)

920617A 17th June: MICK JAGGER. Los Angeles, California, Ocean Way Studios.
Producers: MJ & Rick Rubin. Recording session with The Red Devils, incl.
- Blues With A Feeling II (Rabon Tarrant) -take 2
- Blues With A Feeling III (Rabon Tarrant) -take 4
- Blues With A Feeling IV (Rabon Tarrant) -take 5
- Checkin’ Up On My Baby (Sonny Boy Williamson) -take 3
- Don’t Go No Farther (Willie Dixon)
- Dream Girl I (Jay D. Miller/James Moore) -take 1
- Dream Girl II (Jay D. Miller/James Moore) -take 3
- Dust My Broom (Elmore James) -unverified
- Evil I (Willie Dixon) -take 2
- Evil II (Willie Dixon) -take 3
- Evil III (Willie Dixon) -take 4
- Forty Days And 40 Nights I (Bernard Roth) -take 1
- Forty Days And 40 Nights II (Bernard Roth) -take 2
- Mean Old World (Walter Jacobs)
- One Way Out I (Marshall Sehorn/Elmore James) -take 1
- One Way Out II (Marshall Sehorn/Elmore James) -take 2
- Shake ‘Em On Down (Bukka White) -take 1
- Still A Fool I (McKinley Morganfield) -take 3
- Still A Fool II (McKinley Morganfield) -take 4
- Talk To My Baby (Elmore James) -take 2
- That Ain’t Your Business (James Moore/Jay D. Miller) -take 3
- You’d Better Watch Yourself (Walter Jacobs)
Line-up: MJ (voc, harm)/Dave Lee Bartel (gtr)/Paul Size (gtr)/Johnny Ray
Bartel (bass)/Bill Bateman (dr)/Rob Rio (p)/Lester Butler (harm)

[www.nzentgraf.de]

Date: September 14, 2020 19:01

Date: September 14, 2020 19:19

dcba
swimtothemoon
Yes a good CD. Why was it not officially released? I guess I have always assumed it was Mick’s decision - maybe trying to do something not too close to Stones sound as he was striving to do something a little different in his solo career.

Rubin forced Jagger to spend a few hours of studio time with the Red Devils. That's part of Rubin's method. He talks musicians into getting back to their roots. For Jagger it was logically the blues.

Alas Jagger most certainly didn't like the experience as what he likes best is chasing new musical trends, not reviving things he did when he was 20-25.

Another failed "Rubin experience" was with AC/DC : I speculate here but when he talked the Young Brothers into going back to their roots they probably looked at each others and thought "you @#$%&! Our amps are old, our guitars are old, even the tubes in our Marshall are from the 60's. We DO go back to our roots every time we hit a chord! You won't teach us sh!t!"

I always call that album HARD AS A ROCK, which is probably a better album title but not for that album, which it is not hard as a rock. That aside, BALLBREAKER doesn't have the energy that STIFF UPPER LIP and BLACK ICE have. After I listened to it I looked at the liner notes just to make sure I did see that it was produced by Rick Rubin.

The obvious single and first track, Hard As A Rock, that's pretty good. It even sounds like AC/DC. As in... it has previous elements that have given them a certain sound, like Thunderstruck, FTATR... Hells Bells. It kind of has that essence.

But it's too reduced.

Boogie Man is - who the hell thought that was worth recording? It is not Big Balls.

Angus clearly regurgitated The Honey Roll on STIFF UPPER LIP with House Of Jazz, which is a lot better of a song.

Burnin' Alive sounds like AC/DC... at first.

Aside from the first track, nothing on the album grabs, which they're usually pretty good at doing. Obviously that's part of the songwriting not being very good. But the album sounds too clean. There's nothing about it that kicks. It sounds like they borrowed some amps and didn't use their amps.

And that's on Rubin. He finally got his dream gig and he blew it.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 14, 2020 22:01

GasLightStreet
dcba
swimtothemoon
Yes a good CD. Why was it not officially released? I guess I have always assumed it was Mick’s decision - maybe trying to do something not too close to Stones sound as he was striving to do something a little different in his solo career.

Rubin forced Jagger to spend a few hours of studio time with the Red Devils. That's part of Rubin's method. He talks musicians into getting back to their roots. For Jagger it was logically the blues.

Alas Jagger most certainly didn't like the experience as what he likes best is chasing new musical trends, not reviving things he did when he was 20-25.

Another failed "Rubin experience" was with AC/DC : I speculate here but when he talked the Young Brothers into going back to their roots they probably looked at each others and thought "you @#$%&! Our amps are old, our guitars are old, even the tubes in our Marshall are from the 60's. We DO go back to our roots every time we hit a chord! You won't teach us sh!t!"

I always call that album HARD AS A ROCK, which is probably a better album title but not for that album, which it is not hard as a rock. That aside, BALLBREAKER doesn't have the energy that STIFF UPPER LIP and BLACK ICE have. After I listened to it I looked at the liner notes just to make sure I did see that it was produced by Rick Rubin.

The obvious single and first track, Hard As A Rock, that's pretty good. It even sounds like AC/DC. As in... it has previous elements that have given them a certain sound, like Thunderstruck, FTATR... Hells Bells. It kind of has that essence.

But it's too reduced.

Boogie Man is - who the hell thought that was worth recording? It is not Big Balls.

Angus clearly regurgitated The Honey Roll on STIFF UPPER LIP with House Of Jazz, which is a lot better of a song.

Burnin' Alive sounds like AC/DC... at first.

Aside from the first track, nothing on the album grabs, which they're usually pretty good at doing. Obviously that's part of the songwriting not being very good. But the album sounds too clean. There's nothing about it that kicks. It sounds like they borrowed some amps and didn't use their amps.

And that's on Rubin. He finally got his dream gig and he blew it.

A pretty good assessment. Still I was happy to just have Phil Rudd back on drums, and his sound was noticeable instantly.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2127
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home