Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: OT: some regulars don`t post anymore
Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: November 19, 2017 16:38

I wonder where TornAndFrayed went. He had a lot of knowlege about the Taylor years...

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: November 19, 2017 18:22

stone4ever
some regulars don`t post anymore

They are either banned , in which case they can't come back even if they wanted to.

Or they got bored with saying the same thing about the same band.

Or its possible some of them fell out of love with band and moved on, the greed of the Stones repels a lot of fans i think. Whatever the reason i doubt this thread will bring them back.

What's left to say really, a few more UK dates next year, delivering the same gig we have seen since 89' , only a little more tired and less energetic due to their ages.

Personally i don't particularly want to see them again live unless they finish the new album and tour to promote that, like in the old days.

They need to offer me something more than they did in Paris.
I want a new Start Me Up type single to come from the new album, with all the radio stations playing it, because its brilliant and everyone is talking about it, i want to see the Stones perform a new hit record that is even better than SMU. I know they still have it in them.

I think this is how the majority of most hardcore fans feel right now.
I think a new album would bring back some old posters, and could very possibly bring on some new posters, although i get the impression new posters are not respected or wanted here from what i have seen, they basically just get ignored, pity that.

I agree with a lot of what's said above. For me, there is not enough objectivity. For many here the band can do no wrong, every release is fabulous, the live shows too, it's the King's new clothes over and over.

True, the Taylor v Wood debate is exhausted as is the one about Keith's abilities these days. I am not a completist and do not want recordings of every goddam show. I do not want never ending off topic threads (David Cassidy. Huh?) This is not Facebook, it's a Stones forum. If you've not nothing to say about the band that's constructive and objective, post your guff elsewhere.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: November 19, 2017 18:52

I mostly do not post anymore b/c a lot of the excitement has waned for me. Following every night's setlist to see the changes seems pointless now (although I still did for the last Europe shows). There do not seem to be real tours any longer, more like Dylan's never ending tours (just with many fewer shows). Before, you had a new album and an associated tour, no longer. Even No Security had it's own tour feel b/c it was arena finally and a totally different songs. A Bigger Bang felt like that last real tour, the rest feel like shows with the same setlist.

That brings me to another point. Dissent seems frowned upon here. If you say Keef can't rip like he did in 2002 you quickly get the feeling you are not welcome here. If you talk about ticket prices or setlists you get the same. If you say something about Mick dating someone 50 years younger than him, you feel you might get banned. This has become more of a "fan" forum than ever before...meaning that only the positive statements seem welcome.

Lastly, let's face it, how much is there to really talk about? You can talk about the past, and the current small "tours," but what else? There is no new music, the setlists are the same, there isn't a wide open future to consider...

For me, mostly, it is that the excitement has waned as I said, and that the rules here I find stifling. Since I can either accept the rules and the constraints they place or go away, I have mostly become a lurker. Most recently the rule was we can't discuss what songs are being rehearsed. There was one before that about not posting rumors until they had been vetted by BV. These are big changes from what was once common here, and enjoyed. Heck, you can STILL find rehearsal song links and reviews on the front page here, which makes the new rule to ban discussing such things all the stranger.

Last note on rules. It seems that ticket price complaints are close to unallowed here (not quite). Does not everyone understand that these complaints are really just people saying "I love this band and want to see them every night but I just cannot afford it...and it seems the shows are filled with people who do not love the band," basically? These are big time fans who are upset that they have been priced out by the world economic failings and ticket prices out of reach for most (who want to see 10 shows on a tour...or more). These people are not REALLY bashing the Stones...they are upset that they cannot get MORE of the Stones...and folks here often bash them for it. That might turn a few people off from posting more often too (this is not my issue, but I always thought the lack of understanding/sympathy was rather blind).

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 19, 2017 19:22

Nice post sdstonesguy.

"Dissent seems frowned upon here".

Indeed, but that will never stop some of us from posting opinions that might be unpopular amongst some of the diehard faithful.
Like Martin Luther nailing his protest list of 95 theses on the doors of Catholic churches...I have 95 complaints about the Stones (give or take), and will always be ready and willing to express them.
Yes Luther was tried for heresy and ultimately excommunicated (or banned), but that's the risk one takes. A balance between reason and faith is always a good thing, and should not be frowned upon imo.

Date: November 19, 2017 21:29

<It seems that ticket price complaints are close to unallowed here>

Er, there is even a dedicated thread for it, created by Bjørnulf...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-20 13:39 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: November 19, 2017 22:22

I think I've been here since circa 1992-93 or thereabouts. I still remember Chelsea Drugstore who always had something interesting to share. And for those who were banned, yes, a general amnesty would be a great idea!

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 19, 2017 23:34

DandelionPowderman
The Sicilian
Lukester, SweetCharmedLife, Gazza, CindyC, SwayStones, Max'sKansasCity, Cafaro, SomeTorontoGirltongue sticking out smiley and many others...

I see Erik_Snow has returned from the Dagobah system with his broken diskman.

Maybe BV can post the NOC list of banned members.

Same for the current users.

Some of these posters are still here. Some with their old monikers, others with new ones smiling smiley

I'm game for some cluesconfused smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 20, 2017 00:03

Baboon bro used to be my reggae bro - I believe he even created a reggae thread that was eventually shut down...don't know if he was banned, or simply threw in the towel and said screw it.

Thankfully we still have CindyC's "what are listening to right now" thread...maybe the longest running thread on IORR?
I recall when she left here, but forget all the details....

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 20, 2017 01:16

stone4ever
They need to offer me something more than they did in Paris.
I want a new Start Me Up type single to come from the new album, with all the radio stations playing it, because its brilliant and everyone is talking about it, i want to see the Stones perform a new hit record that is even better than SMU. I know they still have it in them.

I think this is how the majority of most hardcore fans feel right now.

I wish we could turn back the clock to 1981 also, but unfortunately we can't. Did you notice how Mick Jagger's two recently released singles went nowhere? The times have changed. And I assume most of the fans on this board are feeling old too. I watched a nice light comedy the other day, "The Intern" with Robert De Niro and Anne Hathaway. It was about a tech company and it's like.... these people were all just kiddies when the Internet took off!

My gut feel is telling me another 20 shows or so with the new 2017 stage and then it's a wrap.

Are you satisfied?

Sexually? No.
Musically? YES!
Philosophically? YES!
Concert-wise? YES!
Financially? Still trying!

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: November 20, 2017 02:43

I've been a faithful IORR member for 13 years but I still feel intimidated by some of the regulars. Whenever the Stones are on tour I'm on the board several times a day to keep up with every last detail but unless I plan on posting I don't necessarily always sign on. Now during the off-tour schedule I read up every two or three days so I do keep informed.

I consider myself a huge Stones fan, so far I've seen them 59 times all over the world and I'm working on the illusive show #60 but for various reasons I haven't been able to make it to many shows over the last couple of years, not that I didn't want to mind you! Having said all that I know that I'm not near as knowledgeable about every last little Stones tidbit as most of you are and I know that lack will surely be pointed out to me very quickly and sometimes rather harshly should I post something not 100% correct, that's where the intimidation factor comes in.

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: November 20, 2017 02:57

Cafaro?

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: November 20, 2017 03:19

Thru and Thru
I've been a faithful IORR member for 13 years but I still feel intimidated by some of the regulars. Whenever the Stones are on tour I'm on the board several times a day to keep up with every last detail but unless I plan on posting I don't necessarily always sign on. Now during the off-tour schedule I read up every two or three days so I do keep informed.

I consider myself a huge Stones fan, so far I've seen them 59 times all over the world and I'm working on the illusive show #60 but for various reasons I haven't been able to make it to many shows over the last couple of years, not that I didn't want to mind you! Having said all that I know that I'm not near as knowledgeable about every last little Stones tidbit as most of you are and I know that lack will surely be pointed out to me very quickly and sometimes rather harshly should I post something not 100% correct, that's where the intimidation factor comes in.
Yeah, I see that, sometimes I think of posting but then see no point as anything I write is largely ignored. I've been here 8 years now but have yet to be accepted. Like I say over on Buy/Sell/Trade people appear more welcoming and it's less of a closed shop.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 20, 2017 03:31

That's a shame, geordiestone. Everyone should feel welcomed. After all this is a talk forum.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 20, 2017 03:36

Yeah Geordie.... things cant really be that bad can they ???

I don't see much bullying around here ... but maybe ...

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-20 06:48 by Rockman.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: November 20, 2017 03:50

Stoneage
That's a shame, geordiestone. Everyone should feel welcomed. After all this is a talk forum.

Sometimes we post and nobody seems interested. But if one keeps on posting eventually a post will attract the attention of many. As one keeps trying one gets better at it and it surely won't take 10000 posts.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: November 20, 2017 03:58

I used to post very regularly & have been around for decades.

I.M.H.O., I just got very frustrated trying to start discussions/threads & it always turned into a pissing contest of who knew it first, I knew it before you did & I'm a bigger fan than you.

I always thought of this board as THE board for everything Stones, where you could share your love for the band, the music & ask anything you could ever dream of & have the most obscure question answered by 10-20 of the greatest, smartest members in less half a hour and have more information than any book could tell you.

Then the past couple years it seems dominated by arrogant 'know it all's' elites, who instead of sharing the knowledge of the greatest rock and roll band in the world, would rather crap all over the newbies as if this board was only created to showcase just how much they know about The Rolling Stones.

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: November 20, 2017 04:29

geordiestone
Yeah, I see that, sometimes I think of posting but then see no point as anything I write is largely ignored. I've been here 8 years now but have yet to be accepted. Like I say over on Buy/Sell/Trade people appear more welcoming and it's less of a closed shop.[/quote]

I love this board. I read lots of posts that are thought-provoking or fun or share something I didn't know. But there's no 'like' button (nor should there be) and so you don't know that people are listening.
But that's OK. This is just a good outlet. None of my friends know the depth of my interest and knowledge about the Stones and this is a good place to post and read what others say.
In other words, keep posting. It contributes to the discussions.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: November 20, 2017 04:47

smileys with beer
wonderboy
geordiestone
Yeah, I see that, sometimes I think of posting but then see no point as anything I write is largely ignored. I've been here 8 years now but have yet to be accepted. Like I say over on Buy/Sell/Trade people appear more welcoming and it's less of a closed shop.

I love this board. I read lots of posts that are thought-provoking or fun or share something I didn't know. But there's no 'like' button (nor should there be) and so you don't know that people are listening.
But that's OK. This is just a good outlet. None of my friends know the depth of my interest and knowledge about the Stones and this is a good place to post and read what others say.
In other words, keep posting. It contributes to the discussions.[/quote]smileys with beer

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 20, 2017 13:28

I miss Gazza, CindyC, StonesTodd/T&A, Babbon Bro. I wish there was a amnesty program so bring these folks back into the fold .

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 20, 2017 14:20

TheGreek
I miss Gazza, CindyC, StonesTodd/T&A, Babbon Bro. I wish there was a amnesty program so bring these folks back into the fold .

Yup. Especially miss Gazza on his birthday. And on that note, I should likely get up and have a shower. grinning smiley

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 20, 2017 14:23

SomeTorontoGirl
TheGreek

Yup. Especially miss Gazza on his birthday. And on that note, I should likely get up and have a shower. grinning smiley
What was his saying when he at times used to say " A shower of something (I think it was a word for illegitimate kids ?)

Date: November 20, 2017 14:27

TheGreek
SomeTorontoGirl
TheGreek

What was his saying when he at times used to say " A shower of something (I think it was a word for illegitimate kids ?)

Indeed!

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: November 20, 2017 15:16

I miss kleermaker and Max Kansas City. Hope I got their names right!

Posted by: ycagwywpmd ()
Date: November 20, 2017 16:10

wonderboy
geordiestone
[/quote
This is just a good outlet. None of my friends know the depth of my interest and knowledge about the Stones and this is a good place to post and read what others say.
In other words, keep posting. It contributes to the discussions.

There have been times when I have wondered if I was the only Stones fan in the world, but I never could work out their record sales figures if I was the only one buying them? So I know how you feel. It's sad if people feel intimidated about posting here, I for one am interested to here what anyone has to say

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: November 20, 2017 16:29

Always loved iorr for the good & the not so good.

Met some amazing people, discovered all kinds of music & gained much knowledge through this forum. Sometimes it's great, other times it sucks. A microcosm of life. I've laughed like a drain at the humour (Maverick, Gazza, Lukester etc...) & cried as folk have had bad times or past away.
I mainly lurk these days but occasionally post when I've got something to say.
I very much hope & look forward to meeting friends, old & new, next summer at a show or three.

Posted by: ycagwywpmd ()
Date: November 20, 2017 16:33

As a new user I have found this thread very interesting.

Re the Login problems, I tried for ages to login as a new user. Eventually I stumbled across the bv post of August 2016 referred to in this thread, advising of login problems. In desperation I emailed bv asking if these would be resolved any time soon? To my delight he sent me the login details I now use.
I don't think many people would go to those lengths to try and get a login, for whatever reason, I think it a real shame, new users might breathe a bit of fresh air that appears to be much needed.......

I am very pleased to say that I have not felt intimidated disrespected or ignored, re my postings. Yes, I can see there are a lot of 'regulars' who dominate the postings, and some people have stated here the reasons they don't post any more. But hey, I would love to know what you think! So maybe you could start to post again? I, for one, won't intimidate, disrespect or ignore you!

My 'they didn't play Satisfaction' post has been viewed 3311 times, with 68 posts, which I think confirms what I have said above.

It is so sad people feel intimidated. Surely the point of a discussion is to share knowledge and acknowledge other people's opinions,not to impress people in any way. But then the world is full of show-offs.

It's is also very sad to be here 8 years and not feel accepted. Some people need to think twice before they hit the send button. Although my options can and do differ from others, I would always hope to present them in a way that doesn't offend.

Others say they aren't posting because 'what's left to say?'
Yep I can see this point too.
I'm having The Last Time played at my funeral, but as I hope that won't be any time soon, I'm hoping I'll have lots to say between now and then

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: November 20, 2017 18:16

MizzAmandaJonez
Always wondered how many on IORR also were on UNDERCOVER back in the mid to late 90s?

CHELSKEITH

Me. Undercover and Sticky F. Journal as well.

Came here ca. 95.
Miss a lot of good people. Others have cut down their contribution.
Well, me too . .

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 20, 2017 19:01

Adrian-L
Always loved iorr for the good & the not so good.

Met some amazing people, discovered all kinds of music & gained much knowledge through this forum. Sometimes it's great, other times it sucks. A microcosm of life. I've laughed like a drain at the humour (Maverick, Gazza, Lukester etc...) & cried as folk have had bad times or past away.
I mainly lurk these days but occasionally post when I've got something to say.
I very much hope & look forward to meeting friends, old & new, next summer at a show or three.

There's some nice thoughts on this thread, like this one. thumbs up

I can relate to this, because I met a lot of great and amazing people and also have learned a lot here, not only about the Stones.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 20, 2017 22:09

rollmops
Stoneage

Sometimes we post and nobody seems interested. But if one keeps on posting eventually a post will attract the attention of many. As one keeps trying one gets better at it and it surely won't take 10000 posts.
Rockandroll,
Mops

I've started several threads over the years that sunk like a rock. It used to hurt my feelings a bit, especially when it took me some time to cut and paste, and deal with Photobucket...not to mention the effort I put into crafting a brilliant and insightful comment. grinning smiley

But heck, I don't read everything here either, just don't have the time. I suspect it's more that than anything else, geordiestone. I know if can sometimes feel like your being excluded from the conversation, but I really don't think it's intentional. It used to be more common for new forum members to do an introduction thread, but I haven't seen one for a while.

Date: November 20, 2017 23:47

latebloomer
...I've started several threads over the years that sunk like a rock. It used to hurt my feelings a bit, especially when it took me some time to cut and paste, and deal with Photobucket...not to mention the effort I put into crafting a brilliant and insightful comment... grinning smiley.

I used to have a complex... I’d post on an interesting thread, and that would be it, the thread would die. For a while I thought I was the person whose comments would kill perfectly good threads, stopped posting for a while. But people can’t read everything, or reply to it. It’s a pretty open board for the most part. A few famous fueds, some drama, but nowhere else I’d rather be in cyberspace than with you lot.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2067
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home