Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: Best rock bass players?
Date: November 15, 2017 23:37

Javadave
Tony Levin of King Crimson and Peter Gabriel's band is another great player who should be in this discussion.

Top man!

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: November 16, 2017 00:41

Mani from The Stone Roses is top dollar!

Posted by: KeefRichards88 ()
Date: November 16, 2017 02:55

Jimmy Ashhurst - Izzy Stradlin & The Ju Ju Hounds
Ronnie Lane - The Faces

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 16, 2017 05:25

keefriffhard4life
mr_dja
keefriffhard4life
Redhotcarpet
If Paul McC. and John E are on that list then Bill should be on top of that list.

Love how they include Lennons six string bass on Back in the USSR. (I know, Paul also played on it).

john E could play circles around wyman

Maybe so... But when a bass line is needed, what's the point of playing in circles?

9 times out of 10 (possibly 99 out of 100) I'll take a solid bass line over someone trying to play circles around it.

ever listened to a song by the who? the bass is a lot of times playing the main melody of the song

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

The Who turned traditional rock band roles around: the guitarist was the timekeeper, the bassist was the lead guitarist, and the drummer did f*ck-all.

Date: November 16, 2017 06:20

ab
keefriffhard4life
mr_dja
keefriffhard4life
Redhotcarpet
If Paul McC. and John E are on that list then Bill should be on top of that list.

Love how they include Lennons six string bass on Back in the USSR. (I know, Paul also played on it).

john E could play circles around wyman

Maybe so... But when a bass line is needed, what's the point of playing in circles?

9 times out of 10 (possibly 99 out of 100) I'll take a solid bass line over someone trying to play circles around it.

ever listened to a song by the who? the bass is a lot of times playing the main melody of the song

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

The Who turned traditional rock band roles around: the guitarist was the timekeeper, the bassist was the lead guitarist, and the drummer did f*ck-all.

exactly

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 16, 2017 08:28

duke richardson
24FPS
I have never read an article with any clarity on Bill Wyman's bass playing. No description of his style, and his ability to convincingly play across a broad spectrum, including blues, rock, psychedelia, and disco. I've never read any comments by Bill regarding his playing. It took Keith's recent comments to really distill Bill's particular talents. Listen to him back Buddy Guy/Junior Wells & Muddy Waters at the '74 Montreaux festival. Close your eyes and you wouldn't know it was Bill, but it's fantastic. He's a bass player's bass player.

McCartney was great. He stopped emphasizing his bass playing years ago, but he was incredible.

Entwistle is like Moon, explosive and dramatic, and made for the Who. I can't imagine Entwistle playing subtly, and I've never heard him play with another group so you can compare.[/quote

this is a fun read, if you havent already seen it...

[www.bassplayer.com]

Thanks.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: November 16, 2017 11:45

Three bass players who rarely get noticed:

Felix Pappalardi (Mountain), a very melodic and tasteful bass player
Gary Thain (Uriah Heep), also very melodic and innovative
Roger Glover (Deep Purple), solid and also composer of many classic riffs

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 16, 2017 11:48

PaintMonkeyManBlack
Steve Harris is awesome

Really?
A typical SH bass line goes like : "plong plong plong plong plong plong plong plong plong plong" played at 150 BPM. grinning smiley

Cliff Burton was so much better. thumbs up

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 16, 2017 15:38

no love for Tetsu?

Date: November 16, 2017 15:41

duke richardson
no love for Tetsu?

Always! thumbs up

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 16, 2017 17:24

Flea

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: November 16, 2017 21:31

Here is one: Ben Orzechowski and he was a lead singer with The Cars.

Posted by: DD ()
Date: November 16, 2017 22:57

geordiestone

No lie! Always great to see the Roses mentioned on here
Declan

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: November 17, 2017 03:40

chris squire?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 17, 2017 03:46

microvibe
chris squire?

Yes. thumbs up

winking smiley

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 17, 2017 09:17

DD
geordiestone

No lie! Always great to see the Roses mentioned on here
Declan

Mani was good in Primal Scream, also.

Date: November 17, 2017 10:08

microvibe
chris squire?

Chris is great, but compared to Tony Levin? I'm not so sure...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 17, 2017 10:54

A more comprehensive list of the 100 greatest bass players - not just rock - from Bass Player Magazine.

The 100 Greatest Bass Players of All Time

Many mentioned in this thread are on the list, but again no Bill Wyman!!!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 17, 2017 13:54

Hairball
A more comprehensive list of the 100 greatest bass players - not just rock - from Bass Player Magazine.

The 100 Greatest Bass Players of All Time

Many mentioned in this thread are on the list, but again no Bill Wyman!!!

Also missing is Roger Waters. Criminally underrated as a bass player. Listen to Animals....

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: November 17, 2017 15:46

DandelionPowderman
microvibe
chris squire?

Chris is great, but compared to Tony Levin? I'm not so sure...

I think that's another example of one is "technically" better than the other but I'm not sure I could ever bring myself to "trade Squire for Franklin".

On the subject of Levin: I wish he would have stuck to "bass guitar" instruments rather than switching over to the Chapman Stick. No doubt he mastered "the stick" and it's ability to be used in the place/role of a bass guitar, but the "bass player" in me doesn't feel like I play the same instrument as he does. Kind of like when I'm listening to live Doors records. Sure there's a bass part, but it's not my instrument.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Tekumseh ()
Date: November 17, 2017 16:46

Bill Wyman says in his book, he hates bass-players that plays guitar on the bass. The bass is supposed to be a rythm instrument, not a solo instrument.

Anyway, I love Steve Harris from Iron Maiden. And Alec John Such (ex Bon Jovi). But the best of them all is in my opinion Billy Sheehan from Mr. Big:

Youtube

Posted by: ErwinH ()
Date: November 17, 2017 17:06

Tekumseh
Bill Wyman says in his book, he hates bass-players that plays guitar on the bass. The bass is supposed to be a rythm instrument, not a solo instrument.

Anyway, I love Steve Harris from Iron Maiden. And Alec John Such (ex Bon Jovi). But the best of them all is in my opinion Billy Sheehan from Mr. Big:

Youtube

OMG... if I was there that would be a great time-to-get-a-new-beer-break... smileys with beer

Date: November 17, 2017 17:13

Tekumseh

Youtube

The funny thing is that other (more) traditional bassists criticise Bill for that smiling smiley

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: November 17, 2017 18:15

Tekumseh

Youtube

(POSSIBLE) SPOILER ALERT Tekumseh may not want to read below...

Album liner notes aside, it's fairly commonly assumed that Alec John Such was not Bon Jovi's studio bass player - at least not the ONLY one. Yes, he toured with them and is in all the pictures and liner notes but, many people believe that their current touring bass player, Hugh McDonald, was, in fact their studio bass player from the very beginning and that, Alec John Such may not have played all that often in the studio.

I'm not a Bon Jovi fan and don't follow them or their gossip but the story I've been able to put together is: Hugh McDonald was the studio bass player who played on "Runaway" which was recorded and released before the Bon Jovi band was assembled. As I remember it, McDonald was content being a husband, father and local musician who didn't want to join a band that was going to go on the road and attempt to become famous. Alec John Such got the gig. But when it came time to record, McDonald regularly got called to come in and record. Fast forward 10+ years to when Such got fired for not being consistent enough a player on tour (Alcohol issues possibly?), the band went to McDonald and basically said, "your kids are older and touring's different now, you've played on all the records anyway, why don't you come out on the road and make some money with us?" He agreed and has been with them in the studio AND on the road ever since becoming a full member of the band in 2016.

I find it an interesting story. True? False? I'd imagine parts of both. Probably more true than not. At least that's my conclusion.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 17, 2017 18:23

It seems rather specific since it says "players who weren’t content merely to stand and serve. Exceptional soloists, each in their own right, they extended their instrument’s parameters and made it an essential element in each of their ensembles."

So in that essence, it's clear why Bill Wyman didn't make the list - he just stood there.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1585
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home