Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Best rock bass players?
Date: November 14, 2017 22:53

Geddy Lee and John Entwhistle are the 2 best I have ever seen live.

I saw Jeff Beck back in 1989 and his bass player was smokin good also

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 14, 2017 23:30

dmay
Ummm...there seems to be a name missing here, IMHO.

[www.pastemagazine.com]

Yeah, where’s Ronnie?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 15, 2017 01:18

Comparing Bill Wyman to John Entwistle is like comparing Keith Richards to Jeff Beck - it's really apples and oranges. Both are great at what they do yet are entirely different - and it really comes down to personal preference. I'd go with John Entwistle - not only technically superior, but his innovative playing was not only the foundation for many Who songs, but also many times the lead instrument. Besides, some of my favorite Stones bass playing was played by Keith - Sympathy, Happy, and Live With Me for example. That said, Bill's playing with the Stones live is still sorely missed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-15 01:21 by Hairball.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: November 15, 2017 03:29

Right. Bill was perfect for the Stones. John would have languished. And vice versa.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: November 15, 2017 04:12

Can't remember where I heard this but John was quiet and Bill was silent.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 15, 2017 04:41

This is a generic comment and mini rant. And this comment is in no way meant to be disrespectful to the posters in this thread. I will assume many of them are knowledgeable about this subject.

It's a rant about the media's use of polls or near-obsession with polling. They go out and ask Joe Public a question but they don't know if Joe Public is qualified to answer the question nor will they ask Joe Public if he is qualified to answer the question. And very often Joe Public will not state that he/she is not qualified to answer the question and he/she will answer it anyway. It's a mess!

Hypothetical example: With respect to his policy towards the Indian Subcontinent, would you rate the president's performance as good, fair, or poor? And then the media will report the "results" of their polling on the "News." The average person would not have a clue and does not know what to say but note they are prompted in the wording of the question to say something anyway. Even adding an "I don't know" option to the poll is a cop-out.

Seriously, polls need some form of skill test before you respond to them.

Me: Who are the best rock bass players? Answer: I don't have a clue.

Me: Can you name ten prominent rock bass players? Answer: Ummmm... Paul McCartney and Bill Wyman and uh... the Led Zeppelin guy.

Rant off!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-15 04:42 by MileHigh.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 15, 2017 04:46

And I love that Playboy Jazz Poll because I like to read the articles. I even beat my bongos.

Date: November 15, 2017 06:24

shattered

And neither moved around much on stage.

Wonder who would have won in a foot race? For some reason I don't think either of them could actually run at all - at least I certainly can't picture it. smiling smiley

Date: November 15, 2017 12:30

Steve Harris is awesome

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 15, 2017 13:58

Here's the difference: pick Bill out of the Stones formula and it's not the Stones anymore.
If you listen to Pete's demos of songs like Baba o'riley it's still the Who. I can try to learn how to play like Entwistle but copying Bill is impossible. Entwistle was important and a great player of course, just listen to the solo on My Generation or the (overplaying) on Won't get fooled again.

Posted by: ElGeordie ()
Date: November 15, 2017 14:02

PaintMonkeyManBlack
Steve Harris is awesome

Steve Harris stole everything from Pete Way (UFO).

How about Andy Fraser (Free) ?
A tasteful, soulful rock and blues bass player.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 15, 2017 14:16

I vote for John Deacon. Came up with two very recognizable bass intro’s: Another one bites the dust and Under pressure.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 15, 2017 14:51

Flea is the man...an amazing player who isn't just limited to rock. Really like Rhonda Smith, too. Used to play with Prince & has been in Jeff Beck's band for awhile now.

Date: November 15, 2017 14:58

I'd say that Flea only occasionally plays rock. He's all about neo-funk with his style, imo.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 15, 2017 15:31

And Norman Wattroy.............

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: November 15, 2017 15:45

And since no one has mentioned him, Kenny Gradney from Little Feat is way up towards the top of my personal list of favorite Rock Bass players. And I'd consider him one of the best as well. Top 5? Probably not. Top 10? Yes.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: November 15, 2017 16:06

Hairball
shattered

And neither moved around much on stage.

Wonder who would have won in a foot race? For some reason I don't think either of them could actually run at all - at least I certainly can't picture it. smiling smiley

In Stone Alone, Bill actually says he could run a 7 minute mile when he was a kid.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 15, 2017 17:39

Another personal fav of mine is the great Robert “Pops” Popwell.

Remember the first time I listened to Doris Duke's I'm a looser opening cut, He's Gone, me saying: who the hell is playing the bass?? And why does he sound familiar?

My ignorance, he is one of Ron WOod's bassists on slide on this!

video: [youtu.be]

C

ps. Ron Wood not only is a great bassist, but also has a talent to choose great bassists for his records.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 15, 2017 17:51

Glad to see Carol Kaye on the list. And Jamerson.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 15, 2017 19:04

mr_dja
And since no one has mentioned him, Kenny Gradney from Little Feat is way up towards the top of my personal list of favorite Rock Bass players. And I'd consider him one of the best as well. Top 5? Probably not. Top 10? Yes.

Peace,
Mr DJA

ah yes.

he made Little Feat so funky!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 15, 2017 19:17

Mick Taylor.

For the Taylorites.
(I know he didn't play bass, but to hear them tell it he was a God and should be in top five just because it was named bass guitar.. cool smiley

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: November 15, 2017 19:35

Paul McCartney
Jack Bruce
Phil Lesh
John Entwistle
Jack Casady
Mike Mills
Scott Thunes
Berry Oakley
Bill Wyman
Mike Gordon
Chris Squire
Ronnie Lane

The Dirty Dozen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-15 19:38 by Javadave.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 15, 2017 20:04

I have never read an article with any clarity on Bill Wyman's bass playing. No description of his style, and his ability to convincingly play across a broad spectrum, including blues, rock, psychedelia, and disco. I've never read any comments by Bill regarding his playing. It took Keith's recent comments to really distill Bill's particular talents. Listen to him back Buddy Guy/Junior Wells & Muddy Waters at the '74 Montreaux festival. Close your eyes and you wouldn't know it was Bill, but it's fantastic. He's a bass player's bass player.

McCartney was great. He stopped emphasizing his bass playing years ago, but he was incredible.

Entwistle is like Moon, explosive and dramatic, and made for the Who. I can't imagine Entwistle playing subtly, and I've never heard him play with another group so you can compare.

Date: November 15, 2017 20:35

Tony Levin of King Crimson and Peter Gabriel's band is another great player who should be in this discussion.

Date: November 15, 2017 20:37

Tommy Stinson. Harvey Brooks.

Date: November 15, 2017 21:14

MisterDDDD
Mick Taylor.

For the Taylorites.
(I know he didn't play bass, but to hear them tell it he was a God and should be in top five just because it was named bass guitar.. cool smiley

According to a recent post by Dandelion, he played bass on the studio version of Tumbling Dice, so you may have a point! The man can do no wrong!!! smiling smiley

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 15, 2017 21:43

24FPS
I have never read an article with any clarity on Bill Wyman's bass playing. No description of his style, and his ability to convincingly play across a broad spectrum, including blues, rock, psychedelia, and disco. I've never read any comments by Bill regarding his playing. It took Keith's recent comments to really distill Bill's particular talents. Listen to him back Buddy Guy/Junior Wells & Muddy Waters at the '74 Montreaux festival. Close your eyes and you wouldn't know it was Bill, but it's fantastic. He's a bass player's bass player.

McCartney was great. He stopped emphasizing his bass playing years ago, but he was incredible.

Entwistle is like Moon, explosive and dramatic, and made for the Who. I can't imagine Entwistle playing subtly, and I've never heard him play with another group so you can compare.[/quote

this is a fun read, if you havent already seen it...

[www.bassplayer.com]

Posted by: Tuna44 ()
Date: November 15, 2017 22:23

How can this list not have Geddy Lee from Rush? I know lists like this are subjective, but not even listed in the top ten? Great players listed indeed, but this article has lost all credibility in my book!!

Date: November 15, 2017 22:37

Two more for the list:

David Hood (Muscle Shoals Studio)

Carl Radle (Leon Russell, Delaney & Bonnie, Derek & The Dominos, Eric Clapton)

Date: November 15, 2017 23:27

Hairball
MisterDDDD
Mick Taylor.

For the Taylorites.

According to a recent post by Dandelion, he played bass on the studio version of Tumbling Dice, so you may have a point! The man can do no wrong!!! smiling smiley

+ Fingerprint File, Coming Down Again and others.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1627
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home