Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Best rock bass players?
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 14, 2017 16:23

Ummm...there seems to be a name missing here, IMHO.

[www.pastemagazine.com]

Re: OT: Best rock bass players?
Date: November 14, 2017 16:26

That's what happens when they include pop and bass-players of other music styles on such a list...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 14, 2017 16:49

If Paul McC. and John E are on that list then Bill should be on top of that list.

Love how they include Lennons six string bass on Back in the USSR. (I know, Paul also played on it).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-14 16:50 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 14, 2017 17:19

All bassists included in this list are superb musicians.

And I think that all of them would agree that James Jamerson was THE number one (probably save Carol Kaye: I am sure that deep down she thinks that SHE is the best bassist ever!)

Of course there are many more.

Willie Dixon, George Porter Jr., "Do Ya think I'm sexy" Phil Chen, Bootsy Coolins, Pino Palladino, Bill Wyman just to name a few ...

C

Date: November 14, 2017 17:22

liddas

And I think that all of them would agree that James Jamerson was THE number one (probably save Carol Kaye: I am sure that deep down she thinks that SHE is the best bassist ever!)

Willie Dixon, George Porter Jr., "Do Ya think I'm sexy" Phil Chen, Bootsy Coolins, Pino Palladino, Bill Wyman just to name a few ...

C

Agreed, but many of them aren't «rock bassists», which were supposed to be ranked in that list?

Date: November 14, 2017 17:34

DandelionPowderman
liddas

C

Agreed, but many of them aren't «rock bassists», which were supposed to be ranked in that list?

God knows what a "rock bassist" is!

Is Michael Henderson "jazz" because he played with Miles Davis? Is Jack Johnson "jazz"?

It's like those best rock guitarists lists with Robert Johnson included.

These lists are (sometimes) good because they make you discover something new. But as for actually being reliable ...

C

Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: November 14, 2017 17:36

Obviously none of the authors ever heard Geezer Butler.

Date: November 14, 2017 17:43

liddas
DandelionPowderman
liddas

C

God knows what a "rock bassist" is!

Is Michael Henderson "jazz" because he played with Miles Davis? Is Jack Johnson "jazz"?

It's like those best rock guitarists lists with Robert Johnson included.

These lists are (sometimes) good because they make you discover something new. But as for actually being reliable ...

C

Yeah, they wanna be cathegorical without being cathegorical grinning smiley

Love Jack Johnson dearly, btw thumbs up

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 14, 2017 18:09

It was in any case due respect shown to Paul McCartney...Bruce Thomas from the Attractions, however, they completely missed...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: November 14, 2017 18:15

liddas

C

I've seen/read interviews years ago where Carol actually claims to have played some of the lines credited to Jamerson. At the time, I remember feeling that it was almost a point of contention for her. Not sure what her current stance is.

Personally, I learned a TON from both of them.

Take the list for what it is (liddas has a good perspective imo) Personally I got a bit confused though when I saw Victor Wooten's inclusion and Jaco Pastorius' omission. Not that I don't think that Victor shouldn't be #1 on every bass player list from now until the end of time (regardless of if he even plays the genre - I just think he's that good/special/unique)... More along the line of: If Victor is "rock enough" to make the list, Jaco's not?

Date: November 14, 2017 18:22

Any list of rock bassists without Alan Lancaster is a joke to me smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 14, 2017 18:48

Jim Creeggan - BNL

Benny Rietveld - Santana

Date: November 14, 2017 18:56

Redhotcarpet
If Paul McC. and John E are on that list then Bill should be on top of that list.

Love how they include Lennons six string bass on Back in the USSR. (I know, Paul also played on it).

john E could play circles around wyman

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 14, 2017 18:57

John Paul Jones is missing from the list!

Not being a bass player aficionado per se, I'd add the following.

For holding down the fort while the guitar player goes wild, I'd add Noel Redding (Hendrix) and Billy Talbot (Neil Young w/Crazy Horse).
From a metal/hard rock perspective, my list would include Steve Harris (Iron Maiden), and Lemmy.
As for punk rock - Paul Simonon (Clash), and for all around lack of skill and stupidity - Sid Vicious.
Flea and Geddy Lee should also be somewhere on the list.

Reminds me of the joke:

Q: How many bass players does it take to change a light bulb?
A: One, but the guitar player has to show him how to do it".

winking smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 14, 2017 19:03

Jet Harris (The Shadows)

Date: November 14, 2017 19:12

Hairball

Reminds me of the joke:

winking smiley

From a bass players perspective:

A: I can play in the dark, change it yourself dumba$$.

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I love musician jokes... Even if my instrument is the brunt of the joke!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 14, 2017 19:20

mr_dja
Hairball

Reminds me of the joke:

winking smiley

Peace,
Mr DJA

Here's a couple more:

A man asks the devil: “How much does it cost to be the greatest guitar player in the world?”
The devil says: “Give me your Soul.”
The man asks: “What can I get for a dollar?”
Devil: “Greatest bass player in the world.”

Q: How does a guitar player protect his Guitar from being stolen?
A: Store it in a bass case.

And from a guitar players perspective:

Q: Why are so many guitar player jokes one liners?
A: So the rest of the band can understand them.

Date: November 14, 2017 19:35

Hairball
mr_dja
Hairball

Reminds me of the joke:

winking smiley

Peace,
Mr DJA

Here's a couple more:

A man asks the devil: “How much does it cost to be the greatest guitar player in the world?”
The devil says: “Give me your Soul.”
The man asks: “What can I get for a dollar?”
Devil: “Greatest bass player in the world.”

Q: How does a guitar player protect his Guitar from being stolen?
A: Store it in a bass case.

And from a guitar players perspective:

Q: Why are so many guitar player jokes one liners?
A: So the rest of the band can understand them.

Good one's!

A couple of my current favorites:
Q: What is the difference between a large pizza and a professional drummer?
A: A large pizza is able to feed a family of four.

Q: What's the difference between a banjo and an onion?
A: No one cries when you slice up a banjo.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: November 14, 2017 19:35

Geddy Lee

Date: November 14, 2017 20:39

mr_dja
liddas

C

I've seen/read interviews years ago where Carol actually claims to have played some of the lines credited to Jamerson. At the time, I remember feeling that it was almost a point of contention for her. Not sure what her current stance is.

Personally, I learned a TON from both of them.

Take the list for what it is (liddas has a good perspective imo) Personally I got a bit confused though when I saw Victor Wooten's inclusion and Jaco Pastorius' omission. Not that I don't think that Victor shouldn't be #1 on every bass player list from now until the end of time (regardless of if he even plays the genre - I just think he's that good/special/unique)... More along the line of: If Victor is "rock enough" to make the list, Jaco's not?

From the horse's mouth (Carol's web site [www.carolkaye.com]):

"I have 168 record dates in my Log for Motown, who was prolific in their recording out here early in the 1960s (after establishing hits in Detroit). It's impossible that the finest most-in-demand studio musicians of Hollywood would "cut only demos" for Motown. We were cutting the hit-tracks for everyone and that includes Motown. Most of us remember those lines and our involvement with it all, tho' ashamed for breaking the Union rules...it was done out of love of recording better music, and we intended to go Union later yes.

[...]

Union contracts - even legitimate-appearing ones -- written on old paper -- don't guarantee those were the musicians on the dates and there's a lot of conflicting things on those later-produced "Detroit" contracts:

musicians in 2 places at the same time, contracts filled out wrong, etc.

[...]

One such self-serving person, Alan Slutsky an east-coaster and wannabee guitar player, knew nothing of our involvement.

[...]

He also sent terrible libelous flyers around the world, with his own padded scenarios around his invented quotes, saying I said this or that, which is completely untrue, it was complete fiction. He began a campaign journey of demeaning me and whoever didn't agree with him - he is still doing this.

This evidently prejudiced writer even screamed at me on the phone and then sued the Detroit musicians after they fired him. Most, including a few at Motown, trusted him at first. He's responsible imo for inventing errata and causing even more mystery surrounding Motown and the lawsuits of the songwriters against Motown, as well as credits of studio musicians.

[...]

I, along with our group of Hollywood studio musicians, have always held the deepest respect for Jamerson, and I even helped Jamerson get work here, the only one to do so when he first arrived. At all my 100s of seminars across the country, I've always spoken about how James Jamerson and Benny Benjamin started the Motown rhythm section sounds in Detroit. I am and have been very low profile about my Motown credits which I've always claimed since 1969 along with the rest of my credits when issuing my well-known educational books and courses - there was no controversy at all.....it was a known fact back then the difference between our recordings.

I have nothing to hide, nor anything to gain by "lying" at all, but rather will defend my honor and my credits when attacked yes.

[...]

Don't be mis-led by so many on the internet who love to attack women musicians. It's a common thing these days, this type of bullying against a woman who has achieved something, who didn't die of drugs, or of booze etc. but led a clean honorable professional life. I was not a spoiled person, but supported my mother as a pre-teen, and then raised my 3 kids. I had to work hard all my life, growing up in the Wilmington projects as a poor kid. I'm grateful for the work I did do as a life-long professional musician, even if it was day and night work".

Me too learned a lot from Carol, yet she never fails to remember to all of us how good she is ...

C

Date: November 14, 2017 20:43

By the way, regardless what Carol Kaye thinks, Alan Slutsky's Jamerson bio standing in the shadows of Motown is a must for every bass player!

C

Date: November 14, 2017 20:47

liddas
By the way, regardless what Carol Kaye thinks, Alan Slutsky's Jamerson bio standing in the shadows of Motown is a must for every bass player!

C

Now I remember where I probably read most of what I was referring to! Great research liddas! Ain't the internet fun?

And you're right regarding the Jamerson bio... I read it years ago and probably should again. Thanks for putting it back on my reading list!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: November 14, 2017 21:03

keefriffhard4life
Redhotcarpet

Not in terms of groove and swing, which is mainly a bassist's function in a rock band.

Technically, John was in a different league, though.

Date: November 14, 2017 21:30

keefriffhard4life
Redhotcarpet

Maybe so... But when a bass line is needed, what's the point of playing in circles?

9 times out of 10 (possibly 99 out of 100) I'll take a solid bass line over someone trying to play circles around it.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: November 14, 2017 21:42

mr_dja
keefriffhard4life
Redhotcarpet

Maybe so... But when a bass line is needed, what's the point of playing in circles?

9 times out of 10 (possibly 99 out of 100) I'll take a solid bass line over someone trying to play circles around it.

ever listened to a song by the who? the bass is a lot of times playing the main melody of the song

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: November 14, 2017 22:05

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
Redhotcarpet

Not in terms of groove and swing, which is mainly a bassist's function in a rock band.

This!
DP nailed it. (again)

Posted by: ErwinH ()
Date: November 14, 2017 22:10

Phil Good
DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
Redhotcarpet

This!
DP nailed it. (again)

But which one is 'best'?
One who's technically better, or one who's better in terms of groove and swing?

I know which one I prefer...

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 14, 2017 22:13

I'm not a bass player but I always liked Steve Harris from Maiden, Phil Lynott from Thin Lizzy, Geddy Lee from Rush, Stu Hamm from Joe Satriani and Billy Sheehan from Talas/ David Lee Roth. I've read stories that Eddie VH wanted to replace Mike Anthony with Sheehan back in the early 80's.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 14, 2017 22:47

I believe Mike Mills (R.E.M.) should be considered.

however, possibly he should be in the top 20..or maybe as an alternate for the top 10...
cool smiley

Date: November 14, 2017 22:52

keefriffhard4life
mr_dja
keefriffhard4life
Redhotcarpet

ever listened to a song by the who? the bass is a lot of times playing the main melody of the song

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

No I've been living under a large pile of rocks and never heard a song by the who. (Yes - that was sarcasm)

I've actually PLAYED a few who tunes with a few different bands and have close to endless respect for what Entwisle (sp?) did as their bass player. He was one of the finest Lead Bassists in history and developed his style wonderfully to compensate for his bandmates limitations. Kudos to him.

Possibly I should ask if you are aware of the fact that there are currently music majors in universities all over the world who can play circles around what Entwistle was able to do during his life. In my opinion, that doesn't make any of them "better" than him. Just more technically proficient.

By the way... Although I don't have any youtube links handy to provide you... You may be surprised, if you ever go back and listen closely to some Stones live recordings, how much time Bill spent carrying the main theme while Ronnie & Keith were of weaving. Bill may not have been a Lead Bass Player in the style of Entwistle and his like, but the man was and is a monster player. Technically not all that proficient (even he somewhat diminishes his own abilities) but a monster just the same.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1549
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home