Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Your Go To Rock Concert, When The Stones Are Not Touring
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: November 14, 2017 01:23

Imagine this. You are craving to hear some great rock music, but your favorite band, the Stones, is taking a break in touring. Assuming that that your second favorite band were touring somewhat near your home, what group or act would that be?

That is easy for me to answer. I saw the Eagles a few weeks ago, and they were better than ever. Deacon Frey was great, as was Vince Gill, the new man. Joe Walsh is certainly one of the best guitarists in the world, and Steuart Smith, a session player, was super. Steuart plays much or most of the solo portion of Hotel California and does not receive the recognition he so richly deserves.

What is your Go To band?

Re: Your Go To Rock Concert, When The Stones Are Not Touring
Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: November 14, 2017 02:03

It would have been The Black Crowes had they not split so despite the derision of many I still love Guns N Roses and believe they are cut above all other bands at present aside from The Stones.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: November 14, 2017 02:59

Govt Mule is my current go to band. Warren Haynes never disappoints.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 14, 2017 04:15

Neil Young definitely, Bob Dylan always, ZZ Top ditto, Roger Waters without a doubt, and ditto for The Who.
Fleetwood Mac was great the two times I saw them a couple years ago, and I never miss Steely Dan (and never will)...whoever is (or isn't) in the band.
Plenty of other bands I'll always see when they're in the area - Spiritualized, Charlatans (UK), Brian Jonestown Massacre, and X just to name a few.
And dozens of local small bands - some of them friends' bands in which I'm almost obligated to go and see them whether I like it or not lol.

The Stones are hardly in the equation anymore for a variety of reasons. I've seen them plenty of times in the past, and the urge or desire just isn't as strong as it once was. Having seen recent videos of the current tour kind of sealed the deal, and don't think they'll be getting much better from here on out (unless Mick Taylor comes back). That said, IF I can get in for cheap and it's within a Stones throw from where I live, I'll make an effort...and that's if they ever even come back to the US - specifically Southern California. It's been a tradition since '81, and might feel kind of bad if I missed them.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 14, 2017 04:39

The Who, Dylan, Paul McCartney, Nick Cave and Neil Young (although I've never seen the last two) are the first ones who came to my mind.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: November 14, 2017 04:43

I live in China so I kinda have to wait until something I like comes here.most bands dont come to China they go to HongKong or Macao.

its very expencive to go and see them

a couple of months ago I was very lucky to see Liam Gallagher,and next month I will go and see Jimmy Barnes.

Just wish Aerosmith or GunsnRoses would come this way,I hope The Rolling Stones will come back to China

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-14 04:44 by mandu.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 14, 2017 05:26

Iron Maiden, Slayer, Springsteen, and Motorhead (before Lemmy died). Maiden and Slayer are the two bands I've seen more than the Stones.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 14, 2017 05:33

I live in China so I kinda have to wait

Hi Mandu .... Do you know my dear friend Valerie Sakay she lives in China ???

ROCKMAN

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 14, 2017 09:22

AC/DC, Van Halen, Springsteen, The Who, Paul McCartney - seen all of them since the Stones last played Vancouver.

Date: November 14, 2017 10:18

Guns Roses, AC/DC, The Who, Iggy Pop, Rammstein, Arctic Monkeys, Paul McCartney, Iron Maiden and Neil Young.

Never seen the last two though.

Posted by: jenyk ()
Date: November 14, 2017 10:28

Bryan Adams, Brno(CZ), this Sunday. I know it´s only pop, but I like it:-)

Date: November 14, 2017 11:34

I try to see all the good bands that'll come my way, but I catch shows by acts like Bob Dylan, Status Quo, Taj Mahal and The Cult everytime they're in town.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-14 15:42 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 14, 2017 15:26

Sure, I'm going to see Willie Nelson soon (not rock, but still great).

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: November 14, 2017 18:23

Date: November 14, 2017 19:37

Neil Young / ZZ Top / Sammy Hagar

Kid Rock puts on a great show as wall as Hank Williams Jr

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 14, 2017 19:43

Prefer smaller clubs in New England with alternative or younger rockers. Although Arcade Fire was great at the Boston Garden last month.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: November 14, 2017 22:36

I might want to see Phish to see what the fuss is all about. I have a friend who has seen them 21 times, so I suppose she is a Phishead.

Any one seen Phish and willing to give a review?

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 14, 2017 23:08

Dave Alvin and the Guilty Ones

Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: November 14, 2017 23:21

Rammstein, New Model Army, Paradise Lost, Gorgoroth, Amon Amarth, Iron Maiden....
The Stones live is the best, but luckily there are many good ones as well. Music is great.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 14, 2017 23:25

Neil, Elvis Costello, Buddy, Steely Dan.

Posted by: ycagwywpmd ()
Date: November 15, 2017 00:44

flilflam
Imagine this. You are craving to hear some great rock music, but your favorite band, the Stones, is taking a break in touring. Assuming that that your second favorite band were touring somewhat near your home, what group or act would that be?

That is easy for me to answer. I saw the Eagles a few weeks ago, and they were better than ever. Deacon Frey was great, as was Vince Gill, the new man. Joe Walsh is certainly one of the best guitarists in the world, and Steuart Smith, a session player, was super. Steuart plays much or most of the solo portion of Hotel California and does not receive the recognition he so richly deserves.

What is your Go To band?

Looking back, I find I have been to 7 Stones concerts, in 1965, 1990, 2003/6/7 and 2012/16. So what happened in the 25 year gap 65 - 90? Well, apart from life getting in the way, I went to see Eric Clapton quite a few times, in fact probably more times overall than the Stones. I think I preferred the way he stuck closer to blues (with a few obvious exceptions) as the Stones became more r& r. Yet it's the Stones concerts that remain more memorable (maybe because the set list button got stuck on repeat?). But despite that EC never quite knocked the Stones out of first place, for me.

Other concerts over the years fall into two definite categories. firstly, the 'must put my life on hold and go all out to get a ticket' or secondly, 'friends asked me along, it's local so may as well give it a try, haven't been to a concert for a while'.......so some in the second group may end up crossing over to the first group.....if,you see what I mean.

So the first group include, Macca, The Who, EC, Eagles, Dire Straits, Roseanne Cash, Dylan, Queen, ELO, John Mayall, Tina Turner

The second group includes Elton John, Blondie, Killers, Madness, Staus Quo, Rod Stewart, Joe Bonamasa

So,what is my go to band when Stones not touring? I think favourite atm could well be Jeff Lynn's ELO, just seen tickets go on sale for next October, might have to put my life on hold and try for some tickets..........

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 15, 2017 00:44

flilflam
I might want to see Phish to see what the fuss is all about. I have a friend who has seen them 21 times, so I suppose she is a Phishead.

Any one seen Phish and willing to give a review?

I've seen them twice. Both were fun, none were incredible.

Saw them at MSG and thought it was a fantastic first set. A great hour and 20 minutes of music. "Wow!" I told my friend. "That was really great. Way better than I expected." He said "Awesome! Then you're gonna love the second set." I said "oh no, one was more than enough." Second set didn't have nearly as much power and was pretty boring to me.

I saw them a few years later at an amphitheater and it was more uptempo throughout. Good mix of songs even though I knew none. We sat on the lawn and it stared to rain at the beginning of the second set. Maybe a mix of that and better songs help keep the energy up. They went into a great version of No Quarter early on in the second set and I was pretty hooked from there. Just fun dancing, even in the rain. It was a cool time. I don't regret it but see no reason to go back. I had my "Phish" experience and get why people like them. I also had to give them props that after that second show I was able to go online when I got home and download the whole show for free from a code on my ticket. Say what you want about them, but thats about the coolest thing I've ever seen from a band. Nothing but respect.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 15, 2017 01:24

Hairball
Neil Young definitely, Bob Dylan always, ZZ Top ditto, Roger Waters without a doubt, and ditto for The Who.
Fleetwood Mac was great the two times I saw them a couple years ago, and I never miss Steely Dan (and never will)...whoever is (or isn't) in the band.
Plenty of other bands I'll always see when they're in the area - Spiritualized, Charlatans (UK), Brian Jonestown Massacre, and X just to name a few.
And dozens of local small bands - some of them friends' bands in which I'm almost obligated to go and see them whether I like it or not lol.

The Stones are hardly in the equation anymore for a variety of reasons. I've seen them plenty of times in the past, and the urge or desire just isn't as strong as it once was. Having seen recent videos of the current tour kind of sealed the deal, and don't think they'll be getting much better from here on out (unless Mick Taylor comes back). That said, IF I can get in for cheap and it's within a Stones throw from where I live, I'll make an effort...and that's if they ever even come back to the US - specifically Southern California. It's been a tradition since '81, and might feel kind of bad if I missed them.

I've seen them plenty of times in the past, and the urge or desire just isn't as strong as it once was.

Same for me.......although I feel pity about it...............

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 15, 2017 01:38

NICOS
Hairball

I've seen them plenty of times in the past, and the urge or desire just isn't as strong as it once was.

Same for me.......although I feel pity about it...............

Yes it's bittersweet Nicos, but we are not alone. There are plenty who refuse to see them anymore no matter what. Some say the final nail in the coffin was ABB, or Licks, or Bridges, or Voodoo, or Steel Wheels tours, etc., etc., etc., and some go way back to when Mick Taylor left the band. There might even be some who still feel miffed and betrayed when Brian was fired! For me, it's been a slow and steady evolution...after Licks and during ABB some of the thrill just wasn't there anymore. That said, Mick Taylor's return for 50 and Counting was thrilling - especially the second L.A. show! But then Zip Code was like a deflated balloon, Desert Trips shows were OK, and the final *Vegas show I saw was just not worth it - even at very cheap discount tickets I bought the day of show. Again, if they return I night try and see them again, but only under certain conditions.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-15 01:42 by Hairball.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 15, 2017 07:24

Right now? Not 40 years ago? Jeff Beck, hands down.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: November 15, 2017 09:34

I would follow Neil Young, Chris Robinson Brotherhood or Gov't Mule.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: November 15, 2017 09:36

Not "I would follow", I follow already Neil Young, CRB and Gov't Mule. I would follow them even more

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 15, 2017 11:31

In general I find rock concerts boring. I enjoyed seeing for instance the Kings of Leon or Motorhead live (about 10 years ago), or New York Dolls (about 7 years ago), but after an hour or so, I get bored. I don't remember seeing any rock music live in the past 7 years and I don't miss it.
The only concerts, apart from the Stones - which is more of an odd form of entertainment than really a musical experience-, that I really enjoy are ska concerts. Skatalites or Toots & The Maytals never bore me.
Rock music, I prefer to listen to at home, and skip the filler songs.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: November 15, 2017 12:23

Cage The Elephant impressed me when they opened for the Stones in Paris. Great show! That's a band I'll keep following.

Date: November 15, 2017 12:25

I saw Kevin Morby in Oslo last week. He was quite good. Will be checking out his music more from now on.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1977
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home