Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT world cup qualifiers.
Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: November 14, 2017 15:05

grzegorz67
it's hard to see anyone other than Germany win, with France perhaps the best of the rest.

Let's not forget we're talking about a WC, not a EC...

Quite frankly, I haven't seen enough from the non-EU teams to qualify (not to say: dismiss...) them as 'the rest ', as far as chances of winning are concerned.

I only know the (historic) power of European football has been rapidly equaled (and maybe even surpassed by now...) by many south American nations (a.o.); as well as African football getting stronger every year. Apart from the fact that EACH tournament has at least ONE significant 'outsider' (mostly 2, sometimes 3...) nobody really had seen comming, I'd say that this quote here is premature to say the least.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: November 14, 2017 15:18

Had to happen sometime...Italy can't qualify every time. Had to laugh at grown men crying...maybe a dead man came

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: November 14, 2017 15:23

RoughJusticeOnYa
grzegorz67
it's hard to see anyone other than Germany win, with France perhaps the best of the rest.

Quite frankly, I haven't seen enough from the non-EU teams to qualify (not to say: dismiss...) them as 'the rest ', as far as chances of winning are concerned.

I only know the (historic) power of European football has been rapidly equaled (and maybe even surpassed by now...) by many south American nations (a.o.); as well as African football getting stronger every year. Apart from the fact that EACH tournament has at least ONE significant 'outsider' (mostly 2, sometimes 3...) nobody really had seen comming, I'd say that this quote here is premature to say the least.

We know all that. Brazil have won it 5 times Argentina 2 & Uruguay 2 (last in 1950). But South America's big guns of Brazil and Argentina are currently much weaker than usual. Argentina only qualified at the last gasp. No-one would welcome an outsider win more than me but the Cup has never gone outside Europe or South America. With the latter currently in the doldrums, that points to Europe.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 14, 2017 15:42

grzegorz67
RoughJusticeOnYa
grzegorz67

but the Cup has never gone outside Europe or South America. With the latter currently in the doldrums, that points to Europe.

The cup has twice gone outside Europe or South America - Brazil won it in Sweden in 58 while Germany won it in Brazil in 2014.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-15 10:02 by Silver Dagger.

Date: November 14, 2017 15:46

Did Sweden get expelled from Europe and Brazil from South America, Mike?

Ah, gotcha now! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-14 16:16 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 14, 2017 16:02

Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win.

Gary Lineker

Date: November 14, 2017 16:05

Silver Dagger
grzegorz67
RoughJusticeOnYa
grzegorz67

but the Cup has never gone outside Europe or South America. With the latter currently in the doldrums, that points to Europe.

The cup has twice gone outside Europe or South America - Brazil won it in Sweden in 58 while Germany won it in Brazil in 2014. Not sure where Italy winning it in America in 1994 sits.

Allright, allright, very good grinning smiley I know that and I think you know what I meant grinning smiley Imprecise wording on my part. I meant that no winner has ever come from a country outside of those 2 continents. Another recent example you can add to exploit my poor wording is Spain winning it in South Africa in 2010.

The World Cup began in 1930 and the Winners were as follows:

Brazil 5
Italy 4
Germany 4
Argentina 2
Uruguay 2
France 1
Spain 1
England 1

Yes, many of these winners have won it in tournaments played outside their home continent, notably Brazil, with wins in Sweden, the US and Japan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-14 16:06 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: November 14, 2017 16:16

Silver Dagger
grzegorz67
RoughJusticeOnYa
grzegorz67

The cup has twice gone outside Europe or South America - Brazil won it in Sweden in 58 while Germany won it in Brazil in 2014. Not sure where Italy winning it in America in 1994 sits.

...I think grzegorz67 means that the cup has never been won by any team outside of Europe or South America, Silver Dagger - and your examples too prove his point.

I aggree it looks too early to expect a WC victory by an Asian or African nation any time soon; but still, that's only a matter of time.

But I disaggree with the notion that South America can/ should be 'reduced' (not your words, grzegorz67, I know - just parafrasing a bit, OK...) to Brazil & Argentina.
Uruguay, Colombia, even non-qualified Chilli all have réally strong teams...
And if you take Central America into account as well, there's Mexico (Lozano! Guardado! Top notch players...) we should all be on the look-out for.

Having said all this: there's no doubt in my mind that Belgium will win it, in the end. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 14, 2017 17:27

A new IORR prediction game is on the way? grinning smiley

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 14, 2017 17:27

Silver Dagger

No worries: Italy lost the 1994 final vs Brazil ...

C

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 14, 2017 18:12

smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: November 14, 2017 19:52

My country will not be there for the first time in my lifetime

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: November 14, 2017 19:59

Tonight England play against Brazil at Wembley stadium.
I predict England 0 Brazil 6

Nate

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: November 14, 2017 20:08

Nate
Tonight England play against Brazil at Wembley stadium.
I predict England 0 Brazil 6

Nate
You never know, England might win it this time

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 14, 2017 20:14

It's a friendly, isn't it? I predict 2-2 then...

Date: November 15, 2017 09:50

Stoneage
It's a friendly, isn't it? I predict 2-2 then...

A draw it was indeed smiling smiley

Date: November 15, 2017 10:01

Cristiano Radtke

Yes - once we know who has qualified and the draw I will organise a prediction game for World Cup 2018.

Date: November 15, 2017 10:11

Will be fun, Mike! thumbs up

I must say that Denmark were really impressive last night. Christian Eriksen is an attraction alone. What a player!

Date: November 15, 2017 11:49

DandelionPowderman

I must say that Denmark were really impressive last night. Christian Eriksen is an attraction alone. What a player!

Yes - Spurs need to watch out as not only is Harry Kane a high profile potential acquisition to big spending Real/Barca/PSG but so too are Eriksen, Dele Alli. And there are also rumours that their manager Pochetino has come under the eye of Real president Florentino Perez as a successor to ZZ.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: November 15, 2017 12:20

Silver Dagger, I like the Spurs, but this year the premier league is a no contest, as Manchester City is way better than all the others. I've seen them live at the stadium at the latest Champions League game, and I've been really impressed!

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: November 15, 2017 13:16

It's sad that only one of these teams - Denmark and Ireland - can go to Russia next year. I would like to see both in the turnament - good teams and absolutely great fans!

Date: November 15, 2017 14:17

Wild Slivovitz
Silver Dagger, I like the Spurs, but this year the premier league is a no contest, as Manchester City is way better than all the others. I've seen them live at the stadium at the latest Champions League game, and I've been really impressed!

Thank you. City is my team. Napoli are playing great football so to go there and win was quite something.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 15, 2017 14:33

And a great day for Australia as well!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 15, 2017 15:07

If Spurs could find a way of not being Real Madrid's "feeder club" , they might have won two titles by now winking smiley

Date: November 15, 2017 15:36

MAF
It's sad that only one of these teams - Denmark and Ireland - can go to Russia next year. I would like to see both in the turnament - good teams and absolutely great fans!

In the event, one team proved to be significantly better than the other. Agree about the fans but supporters do not win matches.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: November 15, 2017 18:07

denmark were a joy to watch last night, deserved to qualify, im glad finally the attacking team gets rewarded cos that hasnt happened much over the past week.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 15, 2017 18:22

Silver Dagger
Cristiano Radtke

Yes - once we know who has qualified and the draw I will organise a prediction game for World Cup 2018.

DandelionPowderman

Great! It will be fun indeed. smileys with beer

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 15, 2017 20:30

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman

Yes - Spurs need to watch out as not only is Harry Kane a high profile potential acquisition to big spending Real/Barca/PSG but so too are Eriksen, Dele Alli. And there are also rumours that their manager Pochetino has come under the eye of Real president Florentino Perez as a successor to ZZ.

Tottenham, hurry-up to make buy-out clause of 10 Bln £ each.
If to be sold, then sell them Expensive.

Posted by: calipachangero ()
Date: November 16, 2017 10:27

Vamos Perú!!

First time since 1982 to take part in the World Cup, today thursday is gonna be a bank holiday all over the country!!smileys with beer

Even sweeter thinking of Chile staying home>grinning smiley<

Date: November 16, 2017 11:01

calipachangero
Vamos Perú!!

First time since 1982 to take part in the World Cup, today thursday is gonna be a bank holiday all over the country!!smileys with beer

Even sweeter thinking of Chile staying home>grinning smiley<

Congrats! I remember watching games with Peru in the WC in 1982 thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1612
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home