Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT world cup qualifiers.
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: November 13, 2017 04:25

anyone watch the recent play offs.

watched the last 5 games, teams i wanted to win scored only 1 goal, and that was a very controversial decision for switzerland, 1 goal against for sweden which was a fluke and being honest were so useless on the night and wouldnt score in a million years if thier life depended on it.

republic of ireland would get the game stopped v denmark, the ball should sue for assault.

greece v croatia, 1 shot on target the whole game.

enough said, im scottish and sadly we didnt even make this mediocre standard.

switzerland were a disgrace celebrating qualification based on the fact they only won cos of a decision they shoudnt have got. they were shocking in the chances they missed tonight, 1 particular guy missed 5 great chances. if i was manager he wont be going to the world cup.

what the hell is wrong with modern day footballers, its suppossed to be the world cup ffs.

roll on tomorrow night, hope italy retrieve a poor week.

rant over.

Re: OT world cup qualifiers.
Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 13, 2017 13:36

Well I'm over the moon mate although FIFA can bugger off somewhere as I wanted both Sweden and Italy to qualify for Russia. We're 1-0 up going into the game tonite, so put half of my money on 1-0 Italy and the other half on Italy to win by two goals ie ya can't lose! (A particular good deal for you Buttons considering your heritage ;-) Scotlands last game was a cracker, I thought you would've won in Ljublanja, pity they got back to 2-2.

But yeah I agree on the quality, most footballers nowadays are overpaid tatooed primadonnas who should just sh*t up and eat their porridge.

I miss the days of Tony Adams, Franco Baresi, Klas Ingesson, Scott Marshall and the likes. Everything was perfect in the 90's.

smileys with beer

Date: November 13, 2017 14:50

Klas Ingesson winking smiley

The thing today is that the teams are not willing to take risks. That affects the game big time.

As a part-swede (albeit small part), I'm rooting for Sweden tonight smileys with beer

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: November 13, 2017 15:10

I had a short look at the match in Stockholm - because it was in the Friends Arena I visited a few weeks ago...
Never been in San Siro (only in the stadium in Torino - but not for a match).

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: November 14, 2017 00:01

Congratulations Sweden. smileys with beer

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 14, 2017 00:04

well, who's now going to stop Germany (it used to be an Italian job!)

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: November 14, 2017 00:08

slewan
well, who's now going to stop Germany (it used to be an Italian job!)

Marocco.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-14 00:10 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: November 14, 2017 00:11

Thank you! And bye Italy! :-D

Date: November 14, 2017 00:13

Bjorn
Thank you! And bye Italy! :-D

What a facist reaction!

Greetings from Holland! Cruyff was THE GREATEST. smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-14 00:53 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: November 14, 2017 00:15

No Italy in the World Cup is a tragedy.

Nate

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 14, 2017 00:27

Nate

Nate

WHY?

Date: November 14, 2017 00:33

jlowe
Nate

Nate

WHY?

thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-14 00:38 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 14, 2017 00:54

Italy was the better team. Clearly. But if you don't score over 2x90 minutes (plus 15 minutes injury time) you won't win and you won't qualify for anything...

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 14, 2017 02:13

My favourite cafe in town is Italian, maybe not tomorrow..........eye popping smiley

Date: November 14, 2017 02:48

another frustrating night of world cup qualifiers.

italy just could not manage to get that goal, and sweden defended superbly.

i really hope next years world cup isnt a borefest of defensive football.

i like to see the attacking team score from open play and win, and this hasnt happened these last few days.

no italy or holland at the world cup, yet we have iceland, panama and a few other countries that on paper are not as good.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 14, 2017 02:53

Unfortunately, football is played on grass, not on paper.

Date: November 14, 2017 03:23

unfortunately it seems to be played several feet above grass and not near to the goal either.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: November 14, 2017 03:24

Koen
I do like surprises and unexpected scores from time to time!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-14 04:38 by Quique-stone.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: November 14, 2017 03:28

Koen

Exactly this. A country’s population size and strong footballing history entitle it to NOTHING. A club team, with lots of supporters and money is entitled to NOTHING.

Everything on the field of sport (and elsewhere) has to be earned with hard work. If a small country like Iceland with 1/3 million people qualifies for 2 consecutive tournaments as they have done, it’s because they’ve applied themselves to the task in hand and got more out of fewer resources than bigger countries have got out of greater resources.

Yes, some successful countries are criticised for not being good to watch. As long as they’re breaking no rules then fair play.

If small country beats big country with proud history, then tough. Suck it up, buttercup. Denmark won Euro 92 and Greece Euro 2004, despite being rank outsiders. Good on them. They made the game interesting.

Sport is about merit. If it is not then there’s no point to it. History means nothing. My own nation of Scotland, with 5.3 million inhabitants, hasn’t reached a Footbsll tournament in 20 years, after previously reaching 6 World Cups out of 7, the last of which I attended (France ‘98). Although I’m sad about it, it’s fair as our team is nowhere near good enough. Our national association are a joke - led by useless self serving overpaid buffoons who award themselves bonuses for doing a crap job and run the game for the benefit of the country’s 2 biggest clubs to the detriment of all other considerations. Unless this is all torn up and swept away then nothing will change. I expect us to reach our next tournament in the year 3000.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-14 03:40 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: November 14, 2017 05:42

NZ had the chance to win the game on Saturday but missed the chance! I was gutted.

No way we win in Peru.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 14, 2017 08:20

I don't follow soccer but even here in Canada the news talked about Italy not making it to the World Cup and their supporters all pissed off!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 14, 2017 08:57

Cannot stand the international-break. Roll-on Saturday and league football.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 14, 2017 10:23

Big Al
Cannot stand the international-break. Roll-on Saturday and league football.

thumbs up

Date: November 14, 2017 10:43

Stoneage
Italy was the better team. Clearly. But if you don't score over 2x90 minutes (plus 15 minutes injury time) you won't win and you won't qualify for anything...

If you don't score over 180 minutes you're not the better team. Defense is also a part of the game.

Even though Italy had the possession outside of Sweden's box a lot, they didn't really create a lot of chances. Sweden's counter-attacks could have resulted in just as many, if not more, goals.

Sweden was the better (and most effective) team, imo.

Congratulations, Sweden!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-14 10:44 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: November 14, 2017 10:56

It's funny, though, how much that is at stake – and how little risk the teams are willing to take.

Here are some of the playoff-results:

Honduras-Australia 0-0
New Zealand-Peru 0-0
Denmark-Ireland 0-0
Switzerland-Northern Ireland 0-0
Greece-Croatia 0-0
Italy-Sweden 0-0

One of the teams needs goals and a results, while the other team is doing the best they can to park the bus outside of the box smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-14 10:58 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 14, 2017 13:21

Can't see beyond Germany, France and Spain right now. I think Brazil and Argentina may struggle in Russia but we'll see.

Italy were always the thorn in Germany's side and Germany only ever beat their great nemesis once in a tournament and that was last year in France.

Date: November 14, 2017 13:37

Germany won the test-WC with their B-team. Nuff said...

They have never been bigger favourites, imo.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: November 14, 2017 13:51

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

If you don't score over 180 minutes you're not the better team. Defense is also a part of the game.

Even though Italy had the possession outside of Sweden's box a lot, they didn't really create a lot of chances. Sweden's counter-attacks could have resulted in just as many, if not more, goals.

Congratulations, Sweden!

that's the hard reality.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: November 14, 2017 14:16

Wild Slivovitz
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Congratulations, Sweden!

that's the hard reality.

Correct. And unfortunately your own country, 4 time Winners are on the downside, missing out on a World Cup for the 1st time since 1958. I imagine the country are taking it very badly as expectations are always high. However, they also won it in 1982 and 2006, when no-one expected them to. Your time will come round again. Bad times just make you appreciate the good times more.

As DP says, it's hard to see anyone other than Germany win, with France perhaps the best of the rest.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: November 14, 2017 14:58

DGA35
I don't follow soccer but even here in Canada the news talked about Italy not making it to the World Cup and their supporters all pissed off!

Feel free to call it 'soccer' in your very own habitat - but over here, in the rest of the world, the game is called 'football' - the one & only, my dear DGA. smoking smiley

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1759
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home