Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Stones Library - Where should it be located?
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 12, 2017 05:08

So where should this gallery of information set its roots? Should it be a competition or chosen by the band members? Should there be one in the USA and one in Europe?

The criteria, at the very least it should be located in a city that hosted a show for the first four decades, their most creative period. 1960's, 70's, 80's, 90's.

I think it should be excluded from the major cities like NY, LA, Chicago, London, Paris, Toronto, etc... It should be in a city that will benefit from the tourism and publicity.

The cost and who pays for it?

Of course my bias for my city has me voting for Buffalo. A city on the rise again, host to some memorable shows. A venue still in existence that closed the 1975 tour of the Americas. A city with loyal following and huge fan base.

It's not an exhibitionism, but a permanent collection of all material, some instruments, letters, clothes, maybe even a recreated studio, plus much more.

Re: The Stones Library - Where should it be located?
Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: November 12, 2017 05:59

Where do people come up with this stuff?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 12, 2017 06:30

The Bunker ..........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 12, 2017 06:48

Hello...this is London calling...tell Sicilian he has an overly wild imagination and his wishes are unrealistic!

Posted by: polythene sam ()
Date: November 12, 2017 06:51

On a stool by the John...

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: November 12, 2017 08:30

Münster, Germany. Four shows 1965/76.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 12, 2017 11:36

It should "splattered all over Manhattan" in a series of efficency apartments from Battery Park to Baker Field. You could get an all day subway pass so that you could "Take the A Train" to the various places.

Seriously, folks, the permanent archive goes in London, somewhere in Dartford, near the tube station where Jagger and Richards reconnected. Anywhere else would just be a cynical cash grab beneath their dignity. winking smiley

Posted by: ycagwywpmd ()
Date: November 12, 2017 12:15

ab
It should "splattered all over Manhattan" in a series of efficency apartments from Battery Park to Baker Field. You could get an all day subway pass so that you could "Take the A Train" to the various places.

Seriously, folks, the permanent archive goes in London, somewhere in Dartford, near the tube station where Jagger and Richards reconnected. Anywhere else would just be a cynical cash grab beneath their dignity. winking smiley

You beat me to it ab, I was just about to suggest the Waiting Room at Dartford Station........

Seriously, this sounds just like Exhibitionism to me, which I was rather underwhelmed by, mainly because there was nothing new there for me. I only went because my ticket was a gift, I am not yet ready to see my favourite band and their baggage as museum exhibits, for me (and hopefully them) it's still about the music and live performance

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 12, 2017 13:07

ab

They met on a platform at Dartford railway station. Dartford doesn't have a tube station. Dartford isn't in London.

Posted by: ycagwywpmd ()
Date: November 12, 2017 13:14

Big Al
ab

They met on a platform at Dartford railway station. Dartford doesn't have a tube station. Dartford isn't in London.

Yep yep and yep, Big Al is right on all counts here folks. Which is why I said Dartford Station, see above. Or maybe nowhere, for a long while yet?

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: November 12, 2017 14:24

Egypt.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: November 12, 2017 15:00

ab

winking smiley

Too funny!

What library?

It should be on a cloud in cyber space. If it's physical, it should be where more people could use it. The appropriate place would be the Big Apple (NYC).

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: November 12, 2017 15:04

My study - and I will tell everyone else to sod off because they can't come in

syrel

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 12, 2017 15:11

syrel

syrel

Keep a knockin' but you can't come in
Come back tomorrow night and try it again

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 12, 2017 16:04

I have been collecting every Rolling Stones related book that has been released since I became a fan, and before that, probably a thousand or so by now. Including Carr, Dalton, but more important private releases like the French "Satanic Majesties" by Jean Michel Devender, and similar books from Japan, Sweden, Portugal, Argentina and so on. It would have been great to see such books in a library, but I am afraid copies might get lost if they were available for the public.

Bjornulf

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 12, 2017 16:33

Rockman
The Bunker ..........

syrel

bv
I have been collecting every Rolling Stones related book that has been released since I became a fan, and before that, probably a thousand or so by now. Including Carr, Dalton, but more important private releases like the French "Satanic Majesties" by Jean Michel Devender, and similar books from Japan, Sweden, Portugal, Argentina and so on. It would have been great to see such books in a library, but I am afraid copies might get lost if they were available for the public.

It seems there are already a number of Stones libraries out there, as there should be. Who wants to sit on a crummy chair, hunched over a table in a room with bad lighting, between 9am and 5pm, when you can tuck up in your favourite chair in your jammies, with a drink and a nice snack, and tell everyone else to sod off!

Posted by: thegroove ()
Date: November 12, 2017 19:59

2120 South Michigan Ave.

Posted by: DartfordRenegade ()
Date: November 12, 2017 21:46

There is already a Stones Library in Dartford and it's in my house on my bookshelf and I am sitting right next to it now.

There are books, DVD's some old VHS videos most of the vault series and that old computer CD ROM thingy.

Some are out of print now and there are a couple of nice Genesis limited editions. Quite scary how much cash I've spent on this band.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 12, 2017 22:16

Next to the Obama Library. lol

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: November 12, 2017 22:19

it should be near me so I could
go often

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: November 12, 2017 22:20

At my house

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 12, 2017 22:22

DartfordRenegade
There is already a Stones Library in Dartford and it's in my house on my bookshelf and I am sitting right next to it now.

There are books, DVD's some old VHS videos most of the vault series and that old computer CD ROM thingy.

Some are out of print now and there are a couple of nice Genesis limited editions. Quite scary how much cash I've spent on this band.

It's not inconceivable to imagine a day in the not too distant future where somebody makes a digital archive that includes everything. All the albums, bootlegs, films, video clips, books, web sites, and so on. But all references to Streets of Love will be obliterated. lol

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 12, 2017 22:32

MileHigh
...But all references to Streets of Love will be obliterated. lol

I thought that I should politely point out that you have spelled “Miss You” incorrectly. grinning smiley

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: November 12, 2017 22:50

Monsoon Ragoon
Münster, Germany. Four shows 1965/76.

Hey Monsoon are you from Münster maybe? My first show there in 1976. The breakfast show.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 12, 2017 23:13

In any room of their house they prefer, I suppose.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: November 13, 2017 01:15

bv

I understood the “library” to be like a presidential library, more a museum than anything else. But, not a place to check out books and memorabilia.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 13, 2017 06:45

DaveG
bv

I understood the “library” to be like a presidential library, more a museum than anything else. But, not a place to check out books and memorabilia.

That is exactly what I meant Dave. I thought everyone understood that from my opening statements. As we all know, the "cloud" can be compromised or hacked. A physical library in the presidential sense, collects all related documents, books, props, clothing, furniture, etc... and displays them for visitors to actually see. It is dedicated solely to that subject or persons life, in this case the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: November 13, 2017 07:05

It should be completely online--a perpetual, virtual exhibition and experience, with donation and contribution buttons for those who are inclined to contribute funding or scans/photos of artifacts. I've got thousands of articles to upload to it so lets get this going!

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: November 13, 2017 07:06

DartfordRenegade

Ya, no kidding. My stuff is in shelves, packed away downstairs in the archives, plus the t-shirt and tie collection. Just looking around, I have some real gems.

I'm sure someone will come up with some place for the library.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: November 13, 2017 07:08

bv

Any chance you could send me or share with us the list of those books? Ideally the author, title, publisher, publication date and language? That would be an invaluable reference for collectors such as myself.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1842
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home