Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

A kind of story as Flashpoint, about Live Licks and Four Flicks.
Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: November 7, 2017 13:39

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-08 15:43 by UrbanSteel.

Re: A kind of story as Flashpoint, about Live Licks and Four Flicks.
Posted by: 999 ()
Date: November 7, 2017 13:50

No complain about the Everybody Needs Somebody To Love edit but at least someone here noticed it :
[iorr.org]

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: November 7, 2017 14:23

UrbanSteel
Now Rock Me Baby

Play the version of Live Licks and then play and watch the version of Four Flicks.
What do we notice here ?
Also simple , first we have a solo from Keith , after a short while a solo from Ronnie, and that was taken over by Keith ( just as in Sympathy for the Devil from Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out !, first part Keith and then taken over by Mick Taylor ), great blues solo.
What did they do in Live Licks ? They cut of Keiths second solo, the part that was taken over from Ronnie.

Enjoy this musical puzzle.

I think Keiths second solo was not cut, but put in place of his original first. That one was cut.
At least in 2014 that was my analysis... [iorr.org]
I still agree with myself that however fraudish, I like the cd-cut better than the original.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: November 7, 2017 14:45

Most Stones live compilation albums are are bizarre remix releases that have little to do with the original live takes, even Ya-Yas, although they made a good job there. I never listen to the live albums.

Date: November 7, 2017 14:48

Ya Yas has little to do with the live takes? That's a stretch...

Mick did some vocal overdubs and Keith added fragments in a rhythm guitar track to Carol and Little Queenie (and possibly to Stray Cat Blues).

That surely didn't ruin the live feel of the album.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: November 7, 2017 16:21

Live Licks was a cobbled together POS dashed off in a hurry when it became obvious to the record company that the new album (that would become A Bigger Bang the following summer) would not be ready for the fourth quarter (holiday) sales season. The cover, for example, is merely a grainy shot of the HTW stage video from the prior year rather than the package having a specially created theme as do all other Stones live albums. It's probably the most cynical Stones release ever and there have been a few.

Date: November 7, 2017 16:27

rbk
Live Licks was a cobbled together POS dashed off in a hurry when it became obvious to the record company that the new album (that would become A Bigger Bang the following summer) would not be ready for the fourth quarter (holiday) sales season. The cover, for example, is merely a grainy shot of the HTW stage video from the prior year rather than the package having a specially created theme as do all other Stones live albums. It's probably the most cynical Stones release ever and there have been a few.

Four Flicks was a brilliant release. Live Licks was totally unnecessary. The sound mix is also way poorer on the cd than that of the dvd.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: November 7, 2017 16:31

rbk

Yep it's was a missed opportunity. It's the same recordings released on Four Flicks, but with annoying edits. The Licks Tour was IMO the best most interesting Stones tour since 1981-82 and deserved a better live document. They should have released a full untouched theatre/club show instead. A complete 2 disc set of Wiltern Theatre '02 would have been something... Now instead we got a useless 2-disc set of cuts and pieces.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: November 7, 2017 16:37

DandelionPowderman
Four Flicks was a brilliant release. .

Yes but it suffers from incompleteness. I want to hear the full show. It would have been more enjoyable with SFTD from MSG, Don't Stop from Twickenham, Rip This Joint from Olympia etc...

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 7, 2017 21:14

UrbanSteel

Wow! All I can say is, highly impressive analysis

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: November 7, 2017 22:55

LeonidP
UrbanSteel

Wow! All I can say is, highly impressive analysis

Indeed! And: Urban Steel, all your great uploads on this boards years ago are not forgotten. Thank you so much!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 8, 2017 01:02

Sometimes they tend to overthink and overcomplicate these things which is the case here. I have dozens of boots from the Licks tour, and all are superior to the official release.
Even the few that have crappy sound quality are more enjoyable - at least you know they haven't been fiddled with by the overzealous nincompoops (whomever they may be). Which begs the question: who makes these nonsensical decisions to butcher, edit, and distort the truth? I know Don Was is the producer for Live Licks and he no doubt overstepped the boundaries with this, but are all the other band members involved? Maybe Mick in his spare time? Maybe Keith adds a bit of input? Can't imagine Charlie really caring too much, and Ronnie probably doesn't have much say no matter what (especially in the past when he was preoccupied with partying like a madman). Whatever the case, it's a pretty bad document of a great tour. Maybe some day they'll release one from the vaults sans the garbage - hopefully a club/theater show as TheBlockbuster mentioned.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1348
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home