Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920
Current Page: 20 of 20
Re: Mick Dating 22-Year-Old in Paris
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 20, 2017 19:13

It's all subjective. I have always detested "Rough Justice," but love "Rain Fall Down." Should I blame the muse? I don't compare what I like to the best of their first decade, it's just a question of whether I enjoy it or not. For me, that's not cynical, it's just in the eye of the beholder...or possibly the ear.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 20, 2017 19:40

TooTough
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Neither Noor or Jerry need more money.

Are you sure? "Man ist nie schön und reich genug." (Charles Robert Watts - sorry I have only the German translation in mind).

Ich kenn das so: "Man kann nicht schlank genug sein und man
kann nie reich genug sein."

Ich wüsste jetzt nicht, wo ich nachschlagen könnte. Jedenfalls ist er auch von der ewigen Gier betroffen, Gott sei Dank (sonst wäre spätestens 1999 Schluss gewesen). Er gibt es aber wenigstens zu.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 20, 2017 19:46

Finally we are speaking German here. I always knew it was coming.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: December 20, 2017 20:22

So what ?!

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 20, 2017 21:54

Genau.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 20, 2017 21:55

Rocky Dijon
It's all subjective. I have always detested "Rough Justice," but love "Rain Fall Down." Should I blame the muse? I don't compare what I like to the best of their first decade, it's just a question of whether I enjoy it or not. For me, that's not cynical, it's just in the eye of the beholder...or possibly the ear.

What muse? Do you mean current amour ? It’s not an outside thing, creativity.
If it was, then true, there is nothing left original.

Date: December 21, 2017 02:15

Actually, 35love, that train of thought got derailed a bit. It started with me saying I didn't care about Mick's lovelife so long as he channels it to creative use and that elicited a response from Stoneage that I must admit Mick's lovelife hasn't inspired good songs since the 1970s.

I disagree as it happens, though I don't look to a muse for why a song works or doesn't, it's simply a question of whether I enjoy it or not. Obviously, plenty of fans stopped caring after Taylor quit or after TATTOO YOU or after Bill quit.

My views aren't typical around here. I love the studio versions of "Emotional Rescue" and "Harlem Shuffle" and think "You Got Me Rocking" works great in concert. I like some of Mick and Keith solo as much as I do the Stones of the past 30-odd years. I think "Rough Justice" is lousy and love "Rain Fall Down," "Look What the Cat Dragged In," "Laugh I Nearly Died," and "Biggest Mistake." Overall, I complain about A BIGGER BANG though because the ratio of songs I liked to songs I didn't was far lower than normal.

I'm also expecting a new album next year despite the "Doom and Gloom" if you'll pardon me referencing another song I don't like.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 21, 2017 02:50

Rocky Dijon
Actually, 35love, that train of thought got derailed a bit. It started with me saying I didn't care about Mick's lovelife so long as he channels it to creative use and that elicited a response from Stoneage that I must admit Mick's lovelife hasn't inspired good songs since the 1970s.

I disagree as it happens, though I don't look to a muse for why a song works or doesn't, it's simply a question of whether I enjoy it or not. Obviously, plenty of fans stopped caring after Taylor quit or after TATTOO YOU or after Bill quit.

My views aren't typical around here. I love the studio versions of "Emotional Rescue" and "Harlem Shuffle" and think "You Got Me Rocking" works great in concert. I like some of Mick and Keith solo as much as I do the Stones of the past 30-odd years. I think "Rough Justice" is lousy and love "Rain Fall Down," "Look What the Cat Dragged In," "Laugh I Nearly Died," and "Biggest Mistake." Overall, I complain about A BIGGER BANG though because the ratio of songs I liked to songs I didn't was far lower than normal.

I'm also expecting a new album next year despite the "Doom and Gloom" if you'll pardon me referencing another song I don't like.

Thank you. It’s usually me that needs to explain what I meant ;-)
I actually don’t have a ‘feel’ whether we’ll get a new album of originals next year.
Edit (LOL) meaning: I can’t tell/ my intuition is not telling me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-21 02:51 by 35love.

Date: December 21, 2017 04:29

I'm sticking with it as likely for 2018 despite Don Was' consistently doubtful message. I trust Dean Goodman and believe he lives up to his surname, but I suspect Don' public pronouncements for the past year are either to keep the media at bay or to send a message to Mick and Keith because he's not steering the sessions as producer and is frustrated with their scattershot approach. I lean toward the former, though. I'm putting my faith with the label who has it on their tentative schedule, Chuck Leavell who believes it will be finished by the Spring, and the simple fact that practical reasons like Ronnie's health scare and he and Mick's latest crop of Stones offspring and the decision to split the UK and European dates up were anomalies that make it understandable for them to feel they weren't under a deadline. I would imagine by the end of February we'll have a good sense of whether it's likely to show in 2018 or if it's off the schedule again. For now, I'll keep the faith and take the fact that my local watering hole is playing "Harlem Shuffle" right now is a sign from above.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 21, 2017 08:52

I would imagine by the end of February we'll have a good sense of whether it's likely to show in 2018 or if it's off the schedule again.

Yeah Bill ...that's a sensible way of lookin at how things will probably roll along ..

ROCKMAN

Date: December 21, 2017 10:11

Rocky Dijon

You're not alone, Rocky (although I kinda like Rough Justice... for a while). I really like Any Way You Look At It (a beauty!) and Already Over Me as well, both may be examples of Mick writing good songs with his love life as a backdrop. IMO, of course smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-21 10:12 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 21, 2017 10:54

Any Way You Look At It (a beauty!) and Already Over Me as well

...Any Way You Look At It .... love it's gentleness ....
Already Over Me solid soul style ballad ... the build gets me...ambience ... but track runs a tad too long ... cymbal crashing rave-up near the end gets a bit noisy .....

ROCKMAN

Date: December 21, 2017 11:23

Rockman
Any Way You Look At It (a beauty!) and Already Over Me as well

...Any Way You Look At It .... love it's gentleness ....
Already Over Me solid soul style ballad ... the build gets me...ambience ... but track runs a tad too long ... cymbal crashing rave-up near the end gets a bit noisy .....

Yeah, they're going Sweet Home Alabama a little too long in the ending there winking smiley

Date: December 21, 2017 16:27

I love VOODOO LOUNGE and BRIDGES TO BABYLON and put them among my favorite albums of all time. "Any Way You Look At It" has to be a true Jagger-Richards collaboration, though. The tip-off is Keith's nod to "Point of View" his Jamaican retreat. He does the same reference in "Make No Mistake." It's a lovely tip of the hat to "As Tears Go By" as well. It would have made a perfect coda for the album after a gap following "How Can I Stop?"

I adore "Already Over Me" and "Always Suffering." I would love to hear the Babyface version of the former that didn't work for the Stones. Likewise the untouched (by the Dust Brothers) mix of "Juiced" that Don Was and Ed Cherney prepped which was played briefly at the press conference in 1997 and that Keith wanted to release in 1999 on the abandoned compilation.

Don Was' "No Biz" mix of "Anybody Seen My Baby" (without the Biz Markie sample) belonged on the album, though it shouldn't be a single edit only, but the full album track. The keyboard part without the sample sounds a bit barren, but it's better than the alternative -- much as Bernard may have enjoyed getting to "rap" in concert with Mick.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: December 26, 2017 11:09

Back on topic, Mick's controversial love life - how I wish Rev20Redlights or SuperRevvy or whatever he's called would post here. Loved his insane posts about Mick's ladies.

Date: December 27, 2017 03:48

The good Reverend is alive and well and active on Shidoobee for any who wish to read his always entertaining posts.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920
Current Page: 20 of 20

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1836
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home