Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

JJF promo b/w version live?
Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: October 29, 2017 09:23

Probably answered before somewhere on IORR, but can't find it. I always wondered if this is a live recording and if yes, where and when was it recorded? Was it for a television show?

[www.youtube.com]

Best version of JJF ever IMO, they really nailed it here. I saw this in the late eighties on tv (part of a dutch documentary) and I think this was THE moment I became a Stones fan. It really struck me, never saw anything like it. The energy, the punch of the song, the sweaty faces, supported by the black and white footage. Really great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-29 09:25 by jackflash27.

Re: JJF promo b/w version live?
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: October 29, 2017 11:16

I believe there were two promo videos made of Jumping Jack Flash for distribution and not made for a particular TV show, hence these being the first music videos. Don't quote me on this topic but I do remember reading this information.

I believe the vocals are live.

Someone here knows better than me about these videos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-29 11:18 by exilestones.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: October 29, 2017 12:19

Both those promos smoke !
I think the one with live vocals also has a different or re-jigged back track but I could be wrong on the latter.
My guess would be that they did the "live" one because of the Musicians Union restrictions on TV miming at the time. The Beatles had fallen foul of this at the end of 1967 with the Hello Goodbye promo and on shows like Top Of The Pops there had to be a "live" element, usually the performers would have to sing live. Not sure when that policy started but I think it was during late 1966 and carried on to various degrees for a few years - there's a clip of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac playing Oh Well on Top Of The Pops from 1969 which emerged relatively recently - Peter Green has trouble timing his vocal because of the lack of instruments during the verses.
Anyway, I think the JJF promo's could be my favourite Stones moments.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 29, 2017 18:27

It was done for the video.

27th April: London, Olympic Sound Studios. Producer: Jimmy Miller.
Sound engineer: Glyn Johns. Recording of a playback for the promovideo.
- Jumping Jack Flash VI (MJ/KR) -STU on piano, Jimmy Miller on backing
vocals

[www.nzentgraf.de]

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 29, 2017 19:05

If Brian had sobered up a bit, kept this style and accepted a "solo spot" within the band with Taylor as an additional member he could've made millions just by being Brian Jones.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 29, 2017 19:20

exilestones
I believe there were two promo videos made of Jumping Jack Flash for distribution and not made for a particular TV show, hence these being the first music videos. Don't quote me on this topic but I do remember reading this information.

I believe the vocals are live.

Someone here knows better than me about these videos.

I believe that honor goes to the Beatles - filmed over a year before the JJF videos:

Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane

"The Beatles produced a promotional film clip for "Strawberry Fields Forever", which served as an early example of what became known as a music video.[52] It was filmed on 30 and 31 January 1967 at Knole Park in Sevenoaks, Kent.[53] The clip was directed by Peter Goldmann,[54] a Swedish television director who had been recommended to the Beatles by their mutual friend Klaus Voormann...During the same visit to Knole Park, the band shot part of the promotional film for "Penny Lane"'

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: October 29, 2017 20:30

I love the black and white clip of JJF. The Rolling Stones young and hot and coming back and starting something brand new. Mick is on fire.

It looks to me like it was recorded in a TV studio and they were quasi-simulating a live concert feel and they had people firing off camera flashes. They were probably the old hot flash bulbs it was so long ago. They probably did four or five video takes that were lip-synced and then edited down to match the fresh and rough studio recording that they made for the clip. Charlie looks like he is in a sauna!

As far as "music videos" goes, with a broad definition for the term you can probably go all the way back to the 1930s or even the 1920s. Just look up some Cab Calloway clips that were full-blown promotional music clips. Then there were "soundies" and "Scopitones" and the Scopitones were actually shown in a music video jukebox. One of the best known Scopitones is Nancy Sinatra, These Boots Were Made for Walking. You can get lost on YouTube with this stuff!

Date: October 29, 2017 20:39

Just for the fun of it, check out this Scopitone:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: ash ()
Date: October 29, 2017 23:56

One of the earliest videos was made by the Big Bopper for use in this country in the absence of personal appearances in late 1958. That gave Jack Good the idea to film several over a week or so in 1960 including this one, so well before the Fab4 or Stones "invented" pop videos.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 30, 2017 02:00

MileHigh
Just for the fun of it, check out this Scopitone:

[www.youtube.com]

That was cool thanks- never heard that spiffy version nor have I ever heard of Lester Vigon!
Only familiar with the original and superior Bob and Earl version and the Stones cover version which is good on it's own terms.
Now I have to rethink everything with Lester in the house winking smiley....but Bob and Earl will always remain at the top!
Here's the entire video performance ( the video quality is not as clean as your sample version above, but the audio is better/louder):

Lester Vigon - Harlem Shuffle 1967

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 30, 2017 03:20

Original Master Series -- OMS 239-242

ROCKMAN

Date: October 30, 2017 05:21

Who hasn't walked around the house going, "BOMM! BOMM! Bom-bom-bom! Bom-bom-bom!" lol

There is something primeval about JJF - and it makes it so great.

Posted by: keefgotsoul ()
Date: October 30, 2017 09:12

Keith and Brian swap glasses?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1855
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home