Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Rolling Stones - Miss You 1977 (studio 54, NYC)
Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: October 28, 2017 16:22

What a great version of Miss You. Love the slash and burn guitars. Is this mostly Keith? Can someone please tell me where this Miss You comes from? Thanks!

[www.youtube.com]

Re: The Rolling Stones - Miss You 1977 (studio 54, NYC)
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 28, 2017 22:17

triceratops
What a great version of Miss You. Love the slash and burn guitars. Is this mostly Keith? Can someone please tell me where this Miss You comes from? Thanks!

[www.youtube.com]

Dig that version. The bass is mixed differently, almost menacing in a rock instead of disco way.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 1, 2017 00:53

triceratops

[www.youtube.com]

It is the live recording in the studio of the version they used for the album, single and remixes.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 1, 2017 02:44

Great version and a lot of great pictures........looks like Bianca and Andy had something going on..............

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: November 1, 2017 04:48

Jesus, this band has lived so many lives during their time......

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 1, 2017 04:57

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 1, 2017 05:01

NICOS
Great version and a lot of great pictures........looks like Bianca and Andy had something going on..............

Andy was undoubtably a very close, very safe, very gay, friend.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 1, 2017 06:57

For about three years disco ruled and made most current rock music at the time sound pale and colourless and boring. I suppose that rock music is in dire straights again.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 1, 2017 07:27

MileHigh
For about three years disco ruled and made most current rock music at the time sound pale and colourless and boring. I suppose that rock music is in dire straights again.

I can't remember the last time rock had even a tinge of relativeness about it. I liked Jack White but he's kind of petered out. I can't think of the last time I was excited about a new rock album. The last album I bought was Blue & Lonesome. It's all newly released vault stuff for me now. Didn't Neil Young just release an album he held back from the 70s? God I wish we could get Mick back in the studio to 'refresh' old vault cuts. They sound so good, compared to any rock coming out now. It would take an extraordinary talent, along the lines of a Bowie, but not like Bowie, to resurrect interest in rock.

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: November 1, 2017 09:52

I had no idea that Billy Preston inspired the bass line.

Why wasn't this version released on the Some Girls Deluxe Edition? Or the Super Deluxe Edition for that matter, which had a bunch of extra material that added no value to the two-disc-version?

So much hot stuff could have been released from this period... This was the last truly great time for the Stones as songwriting is concerned.

It's interesting how you can't get tired of listening to this 11-minute-version. I always wondered why this works so well, while the concert versions starting 1989 just tend to drag on and on... I know that for many Miss You is a highlight of the recent shows. Still the original version is so groovy and so tight!

Classic Stones!

You don't go out like you used to!

Date: November 1, 2017 10:00

frenki09
I had no idea that Billy Preston inspired the bass line.

Why wasn't this version released on the Some Girls Deluxe Edition? Or the Super Deluxe Edition for that matter, which had a bunch of extra material that added no value to the two-disc-version?

So much hot stuff could have been released from this period... This was the last truly great time for the Stones as songwriting is concerned.

It's interesting how you can't get tired of listening to this 11-minute-version. I always wondered why this works so well, while the concert versions starting 1989 just tend to drag on and on... I know that for many Miss You is a highlight of the recent shows. Still the original version is so groovy and so tight!

Classic Stones!

You don't go out like you used to!

Probably because it has been released in two different versions before: The single version (with the pink vinyl) and the Rarities-version.

Both of these versions were heavily edited, though (down to 8 minutes and 7 minutes, if memory serves).

It's great anyway thumbs up

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 1, 2017 10:42

Is this 11.42 minute version available on a boot?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 1, 2017 11:04

Yep Dagger .....

The Paris Rehearsals -- DAC-114

More Fast Numbers --- DAC-097

ROCKMAN

Date: November 1, 2017 12:20

Silver Dagger
Is this 11.42 minute version available on a boot?

It's on the same boot that has full length versions of When The Whip Comes Down, Imagination and a few others. Can't remember the title, but it should be on YouTube.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: November 1, 2017 13:35

This is amazing, because it really let us recall just how good of a song this really is. So many complain about it being a tired old warhorse, which, in its current incarnation, it can be. Wouldn't it be amazing to hear the band pare it back down to 5 minutes of sheer groove?

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 1, 2017 13:59

We're so used to this song now, but when you think about it, it's impressive how "right" they got everything in it. The catchy chords and melodies, super hip disco bass line, 4 on the floor rhythm and electric piano, and with a great romanic Jagger lyrics, while not sacrificing any of the Rolling Stones style. No wonder it became a hit and a warhorse. And no wonder it fared way better than any of the funk and soul on Goats, IORR and Black And Blue.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: November 3, 2017 05:04

Rockman

Great screen grab RMan! Bianca of course.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 3, 2017 05:11

LieB
We're so used to this song now, but when you think about it, it's impressive how "right" they got everything in it. The catchy chords and melodies, super hip disco bass line, 4 on the floor rhythm and electric piano, and with a great romanic Jagger lyrics, while not sacrificing any of the Rolling Stones style. No wonder it became a hit and a warhorse. And no wonder it fared way better than any of the funk and soul on Goats, IORR and Black And Blue.
So true. It's easy to take for granted 40 years later, and I know a lot of fans are ambivalent about it (especially live) but this is a damned inspired song.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 3, 2017 08:50

I think some of the DNA of Miss You is in this song:

[www.youtube.com]

Brother Louie buy The Stories. It's smoking. I remember it as one of the biggest songs on Top-40 radio in the summer of 1972.

The comments for the clip say that this is the original by Hot Chocolate:

[www.youtube.com]

I always thought The Stories did the original but I could easily be wrong. The Hot Chocolate version is dark and swampy.

It would be really cool if it really did inspire Mick and Keith, you never know!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 3, 2017 10:59

Thought miss you during no filter tour was very boring.
This outtake which i had not listened to for along time is great great Stones stuff.the guitars and...and..
Thanks.
Jeroen

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 3, 2017 13:04

MileHigh
I think some of the DNA of Miss You is in this song:

[www.youtube.com]

Brother Louie buy The Stories. It's smoking. I remember it as one of the biggest songs on Top-40 radio in the summer of 1972.

The comments for the clip say that this is the original by Hot Chocolate:

[www.youtube.com]

I always thought The Stories did the original but I could easily be wrong. The Hot Chocolate version is dark and swampy.

It would be really cool if it really did inspire Mick and Keith, you never know!

The original was indeed by Hot Chocolate and written by band members Errol Brown and Tony Wilson.
It also featured Alexis Korner on vocals and Cozy Powell on drums.
[en.wikipedia.org])

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 3, 2017 14:33

Rockman

Hey Negrrrritah. Heyh naaow.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1951
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home