Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: L.A.M.F.
Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: October 27, 2017 18:20

40th Anniversary tiny tour for The Heartbreakers L.A.M.F.

Walter Lure/Mike Ness/Clem Burke/Glen Matlock + Guests

Anyone going? I'm catching the show in LA on 12/1

Looks like NYC is getting 3 shows, San Diego has a date and I think SF too.

Re: OT: L.A.M.F.
Posted by: likecats ()
Date: October 28, 2017 01:58

L.A. at the Echoplex is already sold out but I’m going to the San Diego show.

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: October 29, 2017 22:29

Can anyone post the recent article about Johnny Thunders in MOJO magazine? I missed it... Thanks!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 30, 2017 04:31

roundnround
Can anyone post the recent article about Johnny Thunders in MOJO magazine? I missed it... Thanks!

Date: October 30, 2017 08:09

Thank you Cristiano! Great article

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: October 30, 2017 13:54

can we have a London UK date please ?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 30, 2017 20:12

JT was technically limited but boy! could he make a guitar sing!
And Jerry Nolan was his Charlie Watts. With another drummer the HB sounded dull and lifeless. JN had that swing.

Date: October 30, 2017 22:18

dcba
And Jerry Nolan was his Charlie Watts. With another drummer the HB sounded dull and lifeless. JN had that swing.

It is the weirdest thing to me: but left handed drummers just sound different from anyone else. It makes no sense, because it's not like he played on a right handed drum-kit. But I always hear left handed drummers with some extra kind of rolly-poll in there.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: October 30, 2017 22:42

sdstonesguy
40th Anniversary tiny tour for The Heartbreakers L.A.M.F.

Walter Lure/Mike Ness/Clem Burke/Glen Matlock + Guests

Anyone going? I'm catching the show in LA on 12/1

Looks like NYC is getting 3 shows, San Diego has a date and I think SF too.

@#$%&, I had no idea. As opposed to last year's Echoplex show backed up by my friends with 50 people in the crowd. Probably more fun than surrounded by people who probably don't even know the songs.

Date: October 31, 2017 00:27

likecats
L.A. at the Echoplex is already sold out but I’m going to the San Diego show.

Love the Belly Up. Wish I could go. Much nicer than the Echoplex. Plus coming from the OC it takes me less time driving down there then fighting the traffic to LA.

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 31, 2017 00:39

I keep reading LMAO smoking smiley

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: October 31, 2017 11:48

Many thanks, Cristiano, for posting the article smileys with beer

I love JT & the L.A.M.F. album. I still have my one and only copy (pink cassette). I know there have been a few different mixes since the original. I'd like to buy the best one but I'm not an audiophile and seek some guidance - is there a general consensus as to which version sounds the best?

Date: October 31, 2017 13:56

Plink

I love JT & the L.A.M.F. album. I still have my one and only copy (pink cassette). I know there have been a few different mixes since the original. I'd like to buy the best one but I'm not an audiophile and seek some guidance - is there a general consensus as to which version sounds the best?

There is the 'Lost '77' from 2013 which is very good.
Then there are the Outtakes from (I think) 2010.
But the best IMO is the one that is like a Box Set from 2012. It has the Remixes in great qualty. It has the "bad" version with some improvements.
And it has the outtakes. Introduction is (corrected) by Nina Antonia; not Patti P.
Did they do a brand new version now?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-31 13:58 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: October 31, 2017 15:48

Press Release from Jungle Records

"It's the 40th Anniversary of 'L.A.M.F.', so there's lots of activity around that. Starting with the 'lost '77 mixes' remaster and packaging upgrade.

Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers
‘L.A.M.F. – the lost ’77 mixes’
Remastered 40th anniversary edition

FREUDCD044R

The Heartbreakers – Johnny Thunders, Walter Lure, Billy Rath (replacing Richard Hell) and Jerry Nolan – were formed in 1975 out of the ashes of the New York Dolls. In 1977 they were at the centre of the London punk scene, having been invited by the Sex Pistols onto the infamous 1976 'Anarchy Tour'. UK punks treated the US band as rock royalty because of their New York Dolls pedigree. Pistols' manager Malcolm McLaren had briefly managed the Dolls in New York.

Signing to The Who's label, Track Records, they were treated to the best recording studios in London to record their only album, 'L.A.M.F.'. But when the LP came out, there was universal criticism of the sound quality. Journalists who'd been championing the band such as Jon Savage, Julie Burchill, Nick Kent, Tony Parsons et al criticised the 'muddy mix', and drummer Jerry Nolan left the band because of it.

Both Track Records and the Heartbreakers ran out of money and collapsed when the album didn't sell to expectations. Manager Leee Black Childers broke into the bankrupt Track offices to retrieve the multitracks and many mixes (though not the master), leading to efforts to remix the album in 1984 and finally, after Johnny and Jerry's death, to recompile it in 1994. Since then, it's been regularly acclaimed as a classic:-

"That 'L.A.M.F.', the only album by Johnny Thunders' swaggering, smacked-up post New York Dolls outfit, The Heartbreakers, is one of New York punk's defining artefacts (despite being recorded in Britain), is beyond dispute. 12 songs that put the guitarist's abiding passions - Chuck Berry, The Rolling Stones, Phil Spector and Shadow Morton girl groups, glam, garage, trash and junk - in perfect, speedy collision." - Damien Love, Uncut magazine, 9/10 review.

And this week: ''L.A.M.F.' is arguably the best album to come out of the original wave of punk rock' - Joe Whyte, Louder Than War:- [louderthanwar.com]

To coincide with the album's 40th anniversary in 2017, it's been repackaged and remastered. The album comes with a 20-page booklet with the background story by Johnny Thunders' biographer Nina Antonia, together with lyrics. Nina’s ‘Johnny Thunders... In Cold Blood’ biography is due to coincide as its first e-book publication.

Recently Walter Lure, the co-frontman, songwriter and sole surviving Heartbreaker, has recently been performing ‘L.A.M.F.’ with an all-star line-up: Clem Burke of Blondie, Tommy Stinson of The Replacements and Guns & Roses, and Wayne Kramer of the MC5. A live gig was filmed for a forthcoming DVD, CD and LP album release 'L.A.M.F. Live at the Bowery Electric'. JVD0124D/FREUDCD124/LP124.

Walter has now booked further dates to perform 'L.A.M.F.' with six gigs in the USA, east and west coasts in November/December 2017, again with Clem Burke, this time aided and abetted by Mike Ness (Social Distortion) and Glen Matlock (Sex Pistols)."

Date: October 31, 2017 22:48

I see it takes a certain Punk Pedigree to be allowed into the LAMF performing band.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: November 1, 2017 00:20

Palace Revolution 2000
Plink

But the best IMO is the one that is like a Box Set from 2012. It has the Remixes in great qualty. It has the "bad" version with some improvements.
And it has the outtakes. Introduction is (corrected) by Nina Antonia; not Patti P.

Spot on. You have

the Original Track Records release
The first CD L.A.M.F. Revisited
The second and much improved The Lost '77 Mixes
The box set which has the Track LP restored

Interestingly there is a 'cassette mix' which is apparently very good. So your pink cassette could be a rare classic

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: November 1, 2017 03:00

Palace Revolution 2000
dcba

It is the weirdest thing to me: but left handed drummers just sound different from anyone else. It makes no sense, because it's not like he played on a right handed drum-kit. But I always hear left handed drummers with some extra kind of rolly-poll in there.

No question Nolan was a powerhouse who gave the Dolls and the Heartbreakers their Roll. I'm currently reading a new book on him -- "Stranded in the Jungle." Fortunately there a great deal about his drum style, choices (big and pink!), and his dynamic in his bands. But I find the pall cast by heroin so troubling. I know how prevalent smack was/is in music circles, but it's one thing when one or two guys are into it, and another when the whole band is strung out! Anyway, L.A.M.F -- great stuff.

Date: November 3, 2017 11:38

My review of the flawed Nolan book here
[onlyrockandroll.london]

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: November 3, 2017 13:32

Braincapers
Palace Revolution 2000
Plink

Spot on. You have

the Original Track Records release
The first CD L.A.M.F. Revisited
The second and much improved The Lost '77 Mixes
The box set which has the Track LP restored

Interestingly there is a 'cassette mix' which is apparently very good. So your pink cassette could be a rare classic

Thank you so much, Palace Revolution 2000, Braincapers and johnnythunders for all the info about the various L.A.M.F. releases smileys with beer. Much appreciated!

BTW, Braincapers, my pink cassette has L.A.M.F. on one side and DTK on the other. I bought it in London in the mid '80s, so it may not be the cassette mix to which you refer. Wish I could take a look at it now for more info but it is in storage.

Fun fact: Johnny is the one who told me what "L.A.M.F" meant - "Like a mutha fukka", he said, in his heavy Queens accent smiling smiley

Date: November 3, 2017 17:50

The Echoplex really is a crappy venue, however the BUT is not may favorite Rock club. It's much better for a blues/country sorta set...Dan Hicks was always great there. I really like the BUT, yet for a serious rock gig, Echoplex MIGHT be better (despite being crappy...Teragram/Whiskey/Viper Room/Roxy woulda been a lot better).

X at the BUT was great, but still...very weird for the venue. Mooney Suzuki rocked that place up pretty good though.

Come to think of it, The Regent might have been a great choice. Nothing like some punk rock down in Skid Row...pre party at King Eddy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-03 17:53 by sdstonesguy.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 4, 2017 14:16

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Ronnierocks ()
Date: November 5, 2017 15:52

Check out list of gigs where I saw the great Johnny Thunders.
www.raysgigs.com for more info

Johnny Thunders Heartbreakers,Siouxsie And The Banshees Roxy Club. London 02.03.1977
Johnny Thunders Heartbreakers Marquee Club, London 28.03.1977
Johnny Thunders Heartbreakers,Siouxsie And The Banshees Rainbow Theatre, London 20.11.1977 all sex pistols went to see this show
Johnny Thunders Heartbreakers,Depressions Vortex Club, London 21.11.1977
Johnny Thunders Allstars feat Hot Rods And Snatch members Speakeasy Club, London 31.01.1978 late night musicians club
Johnny Thunders Allstars feat Steve Jones and Paul Cook Speakeasy Club, London 25.03.1978 midnight show start with ex Sex Pistols
Johnny Thunders Allstars feat Steve Jones and Paul Cook Lyceum Theatre, London 12.10.1978
Johnny Thunders Heartbreakers,Voodoo Shoes Maxs Kansas City ,New York 07.09.1979 johnny on home turf - brilliant
Johnny Thunders Hope And Anchor Pub , London 20.04.1982 chaotic but brilliant
Johnny Thunders Camden Dingwalls , London 28.04.1982 11.30pm show start
Johnny Thunders,London Cowboys Kensington Ad Lib ,London W8 29.05.1982 2 great bands
Johnny Thunders,Jayne County,Chelsea Lyceum Theatre , London 09.10.1983 fantastic 3 band punk bill
Johnny Thunders Heartbreakers,Patti Palladin Lyceum Theatre , London 25.03.1984 chaotic and messy but still brilliant .
Johnny Thunders Hearbreakers Marquee Club , London 23.08.1984 johnny just has the X factor
Johnny Thunders Hearbreakers Marquee Club , London 24.08.1984 last of 5 show run at The Marquee
Johnny Thunders Band Town And Country Club , London 02.12.1987 johnny was drugged out of it tonight .
Johnny Thunders,Vaynes Marquee Club, London 09.02.1989 much better than Town And Country gig great I hour 50 mins set of old and new . my first show at new Marquee site in Charring Cross Road , London
Johnny Thunders Marquee Club , London 21.12.1990

Date: November 6, 2017 03:38

sdstonesguy
The Echoplex really is a crappy venue, however the BUT is not may favorite Rock club. It's much better for a blues/country sorta set...Dan Hicks was always great there. I really like the BUT, yet for a serious rock gig, Echoplex MIGHT be better (despite being crappy...Teragram/Whiskey/Viper Room/Roxy woulda been a lot better).

X at the BUT was great, but still...very weird for the venue. Mooney Suzuki rocked that place up pretty good though.

Come to think of it, The Regent might have been a great choice. Nothing like some punk rock down in Skid Row...pre party at King Eddy.

The sound at the Regent leaves a lot to be desired. The Roxy and Whisky are two of the worst venues this town has ever known, I can't wait for those places to be torn down.

Teragram is a great place.

They have a new PA at the Echoplex. Saw DakhaBrakha there Thursday and the sound was flawless.

Date: November 6, 2017 04:03

The sound at The Regent has issues, but the layout is good.

The sound at the Roxy has always sounded great when right up front rocking out to another fantastic band in a small venue. I love gigs at the Roxy and love drinking inside at The Rainbow.

The Whiskey, well, it is not so great these days.

The Teragram is great, but far from where I want to drink (The Rainbow).

The layout at The Echoplex is simply horrible. It's a long crackerbox with horrible bartenders.

Spaceland...that place was great.

Date: November 6, 2017 04:20

Did anyone else here see Johnny at the Mabuhay in San Francisco? It was in the late 70s but not sure when. Great show!

Date: November 6, 2017 04:39

I don't drink anymore but a lot of my friends hang out at the Monty Bar on the same block as the Teragram.

The Roxy was always a horrible place and got even worse when Goldenvoice started booking there again. Rainbow - museum with alcohol for geezers who wish they were still 25. The one time I wandered inside past the Lemmy statue I wondered if all the patrons were statues too. The place and the people who run it are awful, awful. Between those places and the Whisky it's like out of work Stasi got into the club business.

Echoplex sounds and looks just fine, you have to be close though. The only downside is it's become somewhat uncomfortable that they keep it pitch black inside and sometimes have the AC full blast even when it's 50 degrees outside. No problems with sound and sightlines however. The Echo upstairs also has a new PA and they opened up the ceiling on the right side which also makes it seem just a little less stifling when it's crowded.

Spaceland is now the Satellite, still sounds great but doesn't quite get the same calibre of acts as when Spaceland Productions booked there.

Cafe Nela, Redwood, the new Moroccan Lounge, and especially the Resident are all great places though too small for a gig like this.

Date: November 7, 2017 07:10

Some of ya'll might like The Flesheaters also at Echoplex. I like everyone in that band.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: November 7, 2017 07:15

Wish this tour would make it down to NZ!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1718
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home