Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 12/8/2012 Brooklyn- No Taylor?
Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: October 29, 2017 10:09

Hairball
Wondering if the "No Mick Taylor" factor was publicly announced prior to tickets going on sale, or was it just inside info. that was spread around message boards filled with diehard fans (either before or after the tickets went on sale). Evidently bleedingman and ohotos were under the impression he would be there - both of whom follow this board I presume. I think it's safe to say that apprx. 90% of the people in attendance also thought he would be there - the casual fans who don't follow every second and detail of the band's doings.

I think it's safe to say that apprx. 90% of the people in attendance had no idea who Mick Taylor is and didn't care at all, since till today they have no idea there was somebody missing that night. I don't mean it as a disrespect to Mick Taylor in any way, but I believe it reflects the general knowledge among casual fans, who fill the arenas / stadiums.

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: October 29, 2017 10:21

DandelionPowderman

I'm not 100 percent sure, but if memory serves he had to do one solo gig that prevented him from doing Brooklyn. They wanted him in on all gigs, though.

I've never heard that they quickly brought him in for the two last gigs, like you are speculating here..

brooklyn was planned & announced way after the other shows, so I also think that taylor couldnt make it because of other gigs.

Date: October 29, 2017 10:54

falo01
DandelionPowderman

I'm not 100 percent sure, but if memory serves he had to do one solo gig that prevented him from doing Brooklyn. They wanted him in on all gigs, though.

I've never heard that they quickly brought him in for the two last gigs, like you are speculating here..

brooklyn was planned & announced way after the other shows, so I also think that taylor couldnt make it because of other gigs.

Yes, that's true.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: October 29, 2017 18:11

Wasn't this show an add-on? That's the explanation I remember at the time for Taylor's absence.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 29, 2017 18:39

Happy24
I think it's safe to say that apprx. 90% of the people in attendance had no idea who Mick Taylor is and didn't care at all, since till today they have no idea there was somebody missing that night. I don't mean it as a disrespect to Mick Taylor in any way, but I believe it reflects the general knowledge among casual fans, who fill the arenas / stadiums.
There was nobody "missing that night".
Mick,Keith,Ronnie & Charlie were all in attendance.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 29, 2017 18:52

DandelionPowderman
<wonder when (and why) they decided to bring him back for the final two shows in Newark 2012 (Dec 13 and 15) after him not being at the show in Brooklyn (Dec 8)?>

That "speculation" would be based on what MrDDD had posted which was quoted in my reply to him:

MrDDD
"The Stones in announcing the shows were pretty clear that Taylor and Wyman were the special guests for the London shows only..
Sure there were a lot of us that hoped that may change (as it did when Taylor was brought back for the Newark shows (and beyond),, But they were clear from the start that wasn't the plan".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-29 18:54 by Hairball.

Date: October 29, 2017 20:58

Read above about Brooklyn being an add on-show.

Date: October 29, 2017 22:26

DandelionPowderman
Read above about Brooklyn being an add on-show.

Brooklyn may have been an "add-on".. but when they announced all of the shows on Nov.21st, it was clear Taylor and Wyman were initially intended for the London shows only..

[www.rollingstones.com]

"Stones fans will be delighted to hear that Stones legends Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor are confirmed as special guests for these London shows. This will be the first time they have performed with the band for over 20 years.

A limited number of tickets have been released for these sold out shows. Tickets are available here.

The Rolling Stones will play a second night at The O2 Arena London on Thursday 29 November, before heading across the Atlantic for three shows: Barclay Center, Brooklyn on Saturday 8 December, and the Prudential Center, Newark NJ on Thursday 13 and Saturday 15 December.

Date: October 30, 2017 10:10

November 21, 2012:

«Jagger and Richards had hinted in a Rolling Stone interview last month that Wyman and Taylor would be joining them onstage for the London and New Jersey shows, the latter two set for Dec. 13 and 15»

[www.hollywoodreporter.com]

We know that Bill backed out of this, but it was clear that they planned for Taylor to be part of the US-shows. Brooklyn was added later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-30 10:10 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: October 30, 2017 23:56

I knew well before I bought my tix that Taylor was not going to be at the Bklyn show.

I agree that the vast majority of casual fans have and had no idea who he was. When I saw the later show in Philadelphia, where CYHMK with taylor was the highlight of the show, my wife who has been listening to the stones all her life (whether she wanted to or not) asked "who was that guitarist who blew the stones off the stage"?

Date: October 31, 2017 04:23

Rokyfan
I knew well before I bought my tix that Taylor was not going to be at the Bklyn show.

I agree that the vast majority of casual fans have and had no idea who he was. When I saw the later show in Philadelphia, where CYHMK with taylor was the highlight of the show, my wife who has been listening to the stones all her life (whether she wanted to or not) asked "who was that guitarist who blew the stones off the stage"?

My sister, brother in law, and niece (and several other casual fan friends) weren't too familiar with him when they saw him either, but they were all beyond impressed.
How impressed? My sister and several friends refused to buy tickets to the Zip Code tour when they found out Mick Taylor wasn't coming back.
As for me? I only bought tix to one show (San Diego opener) vs. multiple shows of previous tours...it's been all downhill from there.

Date: October 31, 2017 04:35

Hairball
Rokyfan

My sister, brother in law, and niece (and several other casual fan friends) weren't too familiar with him when they saw him either, but they were all beyond impressed.
How impressed? My sister and several friends refused to buy tickets to the Zip Code tour when they found out Mick Taylor wasn't coming back.
As for me? I only bought tix to one show (San Diego opener) vs. multiple shows of previous tours...it's been all downhill from there.

Not calling that a lie, but really hard to believe a casual fan would come up with a "no Taylor/no go" policy on their own without considerable influence.
Seems they might be more or just as inclined to not go if Katy Perry or any other special guest who only played on one or two songs wasn't coming to the next shows. drinking smiley
Either way,they/you missed some fantastic shows!!

Date: October 31, 2017 04:36

DandelionPowderman
November 21, 2012:

«Jagger and Richards had hinted in a Rolling Stone interview last month that Wyman and Taylor would be joining them onstage for the London and New Jersey shows, the latter two set for Dec. 13 and 15»

We know that Bill backed out of this, but it was clear that they planned for Taylor to be part of the US-shows. Brooklyn was added later.

Again, interesting.

But the question remains, when the Brooklyn date was added later was it announced that Mick Taylor would not be at the show? You earlier said "People knew he wouldn't do that gig", but clearly some were unaware.
If it wasn't publicly made clear (or was buried in some small details on a fan board), then it's kind of understandable why some who were there were disappointed when he was a no show.
Seeing that he was at both New Jersey shows which was known in advance (according to your link), can you blame some of those people (bleedingman et al) for feeling let down, short changed, or and/or swindled when he didn't appear in Brooklyn?

Date: October 31, 2017 04:45

MisterDDDD
Hairball
Rokyfan

Not calling that a lie, but really hard to believe a casual fan would come up with a "no Taylor/no go" policy on their own without considerable influence.
Seems they might be more or just as inclined to not go if Katy Perry or any other special guest who only played on one or two songs wasn't coming to the next shows. drinking smiley

I saw the San Diego opener - once was enough that tour - I didn't miss a thing !

And no - my sister, bro-in-law, and friends are not Katy Perry fans - far from it. They had all seen the Stones prior to the Mick Taylor tour at least once or twice (some of them every tour since '81 or before) so they knew a good thing when they saw it - and that was Mick Taylor playing in the band. Believe it or not, but they made the choice not to go knowing that it could never be as as good as it was with Mick Taylor. In one sense they were wise to have that memory as their last Stones show and save a bundle of money. On the other hand they missed seeing the Stones again which to some of us some sounds crazy.

Date: October 31, 2017 08:22

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
November 21, 2012:

Again, interesting.

But the question remains, when the Brooklyn date was added later was it announced that Mick Taylor would not be at the show? You earlier said "People knew he wouldn't do that gig", but clearly some were unaware.
If it wasn't publicly made clear (or was buried in some small details on a fan board), then it's kind of understandable why some who were there were disappointed when he was a no show.
Seeing that he was at both New Jersey shows which was known in advance (according to your link), can you blame some of those people (bleedingman et al) for feeling let down, short changed, or and/or swindled when he didn't appear in Brooklyn?

Taylor's show was announced, if memory serves.

Date: October 31, 2017 08:28

Hairball
MisterDDDD
Hairball
Rokyfan

I saw the San Diego opener - once was enough that tour - I didn't miss a thing !

And no - my sister, bro-in-law, and friends are not Katy Perry fans - far from it. They had all seen the Stones prior to the Mick Taylor tour at least once or twice (some of them every tour since '81 or before) so they knew a good thing when they saw it - and that was Mick Taylor playing in the band. Believe it or not, but they made the choice not to go knowing that it could never be as as good as it was with Mick Taylor. In one sense they were wise to have that memory as their last Stones show and save a bundle of money. On the other hand they missed seeing the Stones again which to some of us some sounds crazy.

This will go straight to the Taylor-thread, I guess smoking smiley

Date: October 31, 2017 08:57

I'm pretty sure that I already posted that whole story in the Taylor thread a while ago. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-31 09:00 by Hairball.

Date: October 31, 2017 09:43

Hairball
I'm pretty sure that I already posted that whole story in the Taylor thread a while ago. smiling smiley

Yes, you did. About casual fans who have attended shows since 1981 (and prior?) – still not knowing who Taylor was – yet would boycott the Stones because he wasn't coming back.

smoking smiley

Date: October 31, 2017 10:20

DandelionPowderman
Hairball

Yes, you did. About casual fans who have attended shows since 1981 (and prior?) – still not knowing who Taylor was – yet would boycott the Stones because he wasn't coming back.

smoking smiley

Those 50 and Counting shows left a huge impression on many fans, including those casual fans who might not have been totally familiar with Mick Taylor and/or even cared who he was.
But once they saw the light and experienced the real deal, it's as if they were struck by lightning and there was no turning back. Kind of like having fresh broiled lobster one day vs. an old can of tuna the next.

To be fair though, the inflated prices along with fact that the closest show during Zip Code was apprx. 150 miles away down in San Diego might have also been a deterrent for several I know.
To most of us here, traveling 150 miles to see the Stones is a walk in the park, but for some of the casual fans, it's asking a bit much - especially when they're faced with unrealistic ticket prices.

Date: October 31, 2017 10:25

You forgot to mention that you went to see them three times after this – all shows without Taylor smoking smiley

Date: October 31, 2017 11:01

I didn't forget, but now that you mention them yes - Desert Trip x 2, and the final *Vegas show.
As for the Desert Trip shows it was a case of the Stones being there as I would have gone even if they weren't. As for the final *Vegas show, I was already in Las Vegas with my wife for her birthday and spur of the moment bought heavily discounted tickets the day of the show - it was never planned. In other words, they all sort of just happened and it didn't take much of an effort or money to see them at any of those shows. That said, I was happy for the most part to have seen them at all of those shows - especially DT #2, followed by DT#1, and to a much lesser extent even the abbreviated *Vegas show. And for the record, three of my top 10 favorite Stones shows of all time were without Mick Taylor - my first two shows in 1981 and Vredenberg 2003. The Mick Taylor Staples show May 20th, 2013 (along with the other three I saw that tour) are nestled right amongst them.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1717
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home