Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
12/8/2012 Brooklyn- No Taylor?
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 27, 2017 17:36

Why wasn’t Taylor at that gig? He was there at the one before and the one after.

JumpingKentFlash

Re: 12/8/2012 Brooklyn- No Taylor?
Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: October 27, 2017 17:59

Love this investigative journalism on IORR. grinning smiley

Date: October 27, 2017 18:45

He had his own gig in London, I think..

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 27, 2017 18:48

That must have sucked for those who had expectations of him being there.

Date: October 27, 2017 18:50

People knew he wouldn't do that gig.

Date: October 27, 2017 19:08

DandelionPowderman
People knew he wouldn't do that gig.

They did? When tickets originally went on sale?
I know when some bands have opening acts that won't be at certain shows, there's an asterisk stating the situation when shows are announced- maybe that's what happened in this case?

Anyhow, there might have been some who were under the impression he would be there considering that one of the tours main selling points was the inclusion of Mick Taylor.
Maybe they didn't read the fine print when purchasing their tickets....

*Sadly Mick Taylor will not grace the stage and be present at this show.

smiling smiley

Posted by: ohotos ()
Date: October 27, 2017 19:31

I was at that gig and it was generally expected that he wouldn't be there from what I remember.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: October 27, 2017 19:32

For some reason I didn't know that Taylor (or Wyman) wouldn't be there and was severely let down. I personally thought it was a mediocre show. Mary Blige was a terrible choice for Shelter. My last show unfortunately. I think they got better based on official releases, Glastonbury, etc. But I was actually bored at that show.

Posted by: ohotos ()
Date: October 27, 2017 19:35

Actually I just looked back at the review I posted on this site and it seems that I expected Taylor to be there but still enjoyed the show even though he wasn't. Yes bleedingman, Blige was horrible for Shelter but I enjoyed the rest of the show very much.

Date: October 27, 2017 19:45

bleedingman
For some reason I didn't know that Taylor (or Wyman) wouldn't be there and was severely let down. I personally thought it was a mediocre show. Mary Blige was a terrible choice for Shelter. My last show unfortunately. I think they got better based on official releases, Glastonbury, etc. But I was actually bored at that show.

Hmmm...I feel your pain bleedingman. So there were some people who were unaware of no show Taylor...sort of like a booby trap, and then to have Mary J. Blige special guest is like salt in the wounds lol.
My wife and I saw her open for Prince once and she was a really good performer...but to sing on the sacred Gimme Shelter? I don't think so.

Date: October 27, 2017 19:56

Blige was awesome in London, imo.

I'm pretty sure all the fan boards reported that Taylor wouldn't do that gig in good time before the show back then.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 27, 2017 19:57

Hairball
That must have sucked for those who had expectations of him being there.
Not for me as I went to the 12/8/12 and the following week with Taylor in Newark on 12/15/12

hot smileyRe: 12/8/2012 Brooklyn- No Taylor?
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 27, 2017 20:18

I should also add 12/8/12 was a magnificent night because it had been 6 years since the Bigger Bang tour for me and the Stones just killed and were so great even though Taylor was not there .With a great stage presentation and a great setlist .It truly was a special night until the next week at Newark .Totally blown away and flying high again with the Greatest Rick and Roll Band in the world !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: October 27, 2017 20:32

I was at Brooklyn and the Newark shows.
Newark was way better both nights imo.
John Mayer and Lady Gaga sit ins.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 27, 2017 20:40

Best shelter guest spot was Florence of Florence and The Machine

Date: October 27, 2017 20:43

Send It To me

+1 She was fantastic thumbs up

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: October 27, 2017 22:26

DandelionPowderman
Blige was awesome in London, imo.

I'm pretty sure all the fan boards reported that Taylor wouldn't do that gig in good time before the show back then.

Blige was terrible in London, imo. Great voice but it was just the wrong song for her to guest on.

Date: October 27, 2017 22:44

I liked her performance.

Date: October 28, 2017 01:38

I would have preferred no guest singers for the "Rape, Murder" duet. Truth be told, I miss thedays when Mick sang the whole song. Glad some enjoyed Blige but I would have gone with Lisa by a long shot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-28 01:40 by bleedingman.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 28, 2017 01:38

If the NJ PPV was any indication, they were rusty as all get out. That's the first time we see the Mummy Keith, hardly moving at all the entire evening, just trying to not screw up playing rhythm guitar. Ronnie was on fire and showed the other guest guitarists that he was the real deal.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 28, 2017 14:23

DandelionPowderman
Send It To me

+1 She was fantastic thumbs up

thumbs up

Yep!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 28, 2017 16:58

Knew well in advance there would be no Taylor.. nbd for me.
Saw him at several subsequent shows in 2013 and it was great.. (MGM Vegas was fantastic..Keith Ronnie and Taylor all went to their knees during Rambler)

Was more disapointed Bill didn't make the trip tbh.. Loved the Brooklyn show, tho.

Date: October 28, 2017 20:50

Wondering if the "No Mick Taylor" factor was publicly announced prior to tickets going on sale, or was it just inside info. that was spread around message boards filled with diehard fans (either before or after the tickets went on sale). Evidently bleedingman and ohotos were under the impression he would be there - both of whom follow this board I presume. I think it's safe to say that apprx. 90% of the people in attendance also thought he would be there - the casual fans who don't follow every second and detail of the band's doings.

Date: October 28, 2017 21:25

Hairball
Wondering if the "No Mick Taylor" factor was publicly announced prior to tickets going on sale, or was it just inside info. that was spread around message boards filled with diehard fans (either before or after the tickets went on sale). Evidently bleedingman and ohotos were under the impression he would be there - both of whom follow this board I presume. I think it's safe to say that apprx. 90% of the people in attendance also thought he would be there - the casual fans who don't follow every second and detail of the band's doings.

I definitely was following this board and at the time saw nothing saying MT wasn't going to be there. There was speculation that Bill was definitely going to be aboard for NY also:
[iorr.org]
[iorr.org]

Glad others enjoyed the show. Can't believe it's been almost 5 years.

Date: October 28, 2017 21:58

Thanks for clearing that up bleedingman.

I read the first link in it's entirety and it seems most people were under the impression and had high hopes he would be there, even though it was never officially announced.

And skimmed through the lengthier second link that included some of the same expectations, and ultimately some letdowns- "No Mick Taylor last night (a let down for sure). But Rambler was still great". - Cineplexed

One things for certain though, it was never announced or made official that he wouldn't be there prior to the show itself - leaving many like yourself with the false sense that he would.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-28 22:10 by Hairball.

Date: October 28, 2017 22:13

<nothing saying MT wasn't going to be there>

I'm pretty sure that's not correct.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 28, 2017 22:31

The Stones in announcing the shows were pretty clear that Taylor and Wyman were the special guests for the London shows only..
Sure there were a lot of us that hoped that may change (as it did when Taylor was brought back for the Newark shows (and beyond),, But they were clear from the start that wasn't the plan.

[www.rollingstones.com]

"Stones fans will be delighted to hear that Stones legends Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor are confirmed as special guests for these London shows. This will be the first time they have performed with the band for over 20 years.

A limited number of tickets have been released for these sold out shows. Tickets are available here.

The Rolling Stones will play a second night at The O2 Arena London on Thursday 29 November, before heading across the Atlantic for three shows: Barclay Center, Brooklyn on Saturday 8 December, and the Prudential Center, Newark NJ on Thursday 13 and Saturday 15 December.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-28 22:32 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: October 28, 2017 22:36

Hotels in New York are too expensive and none of the roadies wanted to share a room with him because he snores and smells like an ash tray.

Date: October 29, 2017 01:18

MisterDDDD
The Stones in announcing the shows were pretty clear that Taylor and Wyman were the special guests for the London shows only..
Sure there were a lot of us that hoped that may change (as it did when Taylor was brought back for the Newark shows (and beyond),, But they were clear from the start that wasn't the plan.

[www.rollingstones.com]

"Stones fans will be delighted to hear that Stones legends Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor are confirmed as special guests for these London shows. This will be the first time they have performed with the band for over 20 years.

A limited number of tickets have been released for these sold out shows. Tickets are available here.

The Rolling Stones will play a second night at The O2 Arena London on Thursday 29 November, before heading across the Atlantic for three shows: Barclay Center, Brooklyn on Saturday 8 December, and the Prudential Center, Newark NJ on Thursday 13 and Saturday 15 December.

Interesting...I wonder when (and why) they decided to bring him back for the final two shows in Newark 2012 (Dec 13 and 15) after him not being at the show in Brooklyn (Dec 8)?
Maybe spur of the moment goodwill towards their former comrade and/or they realized he made the shows in London extra special?

Anyhow, the band must have been pleased with him being there - for the following 2013 shows starting in April at the Echoplex in L.A., it was clear he would be on board for the entire tour:

From wiki:

"During an interview on the Late Night with Jimmy Fallon show (broadcast on 8 April 2013), Keith Richards stated that Taylor would be performing with the Stones for their upcoming 2013 tour dates.[28] *Between 25 November 2012 and 13 July 2013 Taylor joined the Stones' 50 & Counting Tour performing at each of the 30 shows across Europe and North America, including sitting in on four songs at the Staples Center in Los Angeles[29] and several numbers during their headline set at the Glastonbury Festival.[30] The tour ended with two concerts at Hyde Park, London, which resulted in the album, Hyde Park Live and the concert film Sweet Summer Sun: Live in Hyde Park. He once again accompanied the Stones between 21 February and 22 November 2014 for the 29 dates of the 14 On Fire concerts across Asia, Europe and Australia/New Zealand".

*Evidently, whoever wrote this didn't attend the Brooklyn show on 12/8/2012, and goes to show wiki is not always reliable.

Edit: Since posting the above a few hours ago, it's dawned on me that somthing's fishy with Keith stating on Fallon in April that Taylor would be performing with the Stones for the 2013 dates. I'm sure he said it, but considering the tour started a bit over a month later, wasn't it already confirmed Taylor would be playing those shows well before that? It seems I knew before that, but maybe it was just something everybody was hoping for? A friend of mine had custom 50 and Counting t-shirts made with 'Mick Taylor' emblazoned on them, but don't recall how far in advance he had those made. And can't recall when tickets went on sale and whether or not Taylor was part of the announcement. I do remember I was in Hawaii for the first show at Staples Center (May 3), and then flew directly to Vegas to attend that show on May 11th, followed by two shows in Anaheim May 13th and 18th, and finally the second Staples show on May 20th. Whatever the case, it was a great tour and was happy to see four of those shows. That last show at Staples was the last time I was truly in awe at seeing the Stones - Mick Taylor was back in the house to play on four tunes (!), and all was right with the world.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-29 02:37 by Hairball.

Date: October 29, 2017 09:56

<wonder when (and why) they decided to bring him back for the final two shows in Newark 2012 (Dec 13 and 15) after him not being at the show in Brooklyn (Dec 8)?>

I'm not 100 percent sure, but if memory serves he had to do one solo gig that prevented him from doing Brooklyn. They wanted him in on all gigs, though.

I've never heard that they quickly brought him in for the two last gigs, like you are speculating here..

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1159
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home