Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Rolling Stones -Future
Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 26, 2017 16:27

Happy24
Is it fair to compare a 35 year old Mozart with 75 year old Stones?

No, it isn't. Hence, my original post.
Someone claimed "people still listen to Mozart, so the Stones should not retire".
I tried to show how that comparison does not make sense.
People still listen to Mozart because he maintained a certain quality.
So did the Stones, the first 20 years in their albums, and to up a certain degree in their live concerts a little bit longer. But not anymore.

Happy24
How do you KNOW Mozart would not be utter crap at 75?
I don't. But I wouldn't listen to it, if he were.

Happy24
B&L is "blemishing the artistic credibility"? Or are you talking about live performanes? How many times did you see them on the No Filter tour? I mean in person.

No, B&L is not a blemish. It's nothing. A blemish is that they sound live worse than 25 years ago, and haven't put a single album really showing any kind of progress, vision, or magic since Tattoo You. Hell, it doesn't even have to be a great album, but at least an album they'd believe in and put everything they got into. Even an album like Their Satanic etc... would be an album with a vision.

...as for live performances you admit you haven't seen anything else than YouTube clips in 10 years.

I have seen them in 2007 and they were terrible. I also saw videoclips before and during 2007 which confirmed my impressions that I got when I saw them in person. The clips I have seen since then, are not any better, they are actually worse. Not only do they not play any new songs, nor play old songs in a new way, but they make mistakes and clearly the particular and special rhythmic interaction that guided their shows is gone.
The reviews in almost any quality newspaper confirm this also.

Happy24
So do I understand it correctly that an album, which is "nice, but not an artistic highpoint" is "blemishing the artistic credibility"?

If it's the only thing they can do in +30 years, well, yes.

Happy24
About YouTube... I am just tryin to imagine the outrageus "fan" discussions concerning cell phone clips of a 75 year old Mozart...smiling smiley

Show me a mobile phone clip where an orchestra screws up the intro to any Mozart symphony and I might re-think...
(And no, I am not talking about the Uithuizermeeden Village Church Youth Ensemble, I am talking about a professional orchestra with entrance prices of at least 50 euros).

Happy24
The majority has never heard of The Rolling Stones and/or Mozart anyway smiling smiley

True. Still, it's a pity not to get some new music from Keith, don't you think?

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: October 26, 2017 16:27

I think its time for the boys to mellow out a bit. Quit worrying about the money and the biggest show. RnR is over and the Stones won. They are the Champs.

I would like to see show set up at small venues where it plays to their strengths. Maybe Mick and Keith could tell some old stories and get closer to the audience. Play what they want. Low key. Fans would love it.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: October 26, 2017 16:49

They could play small venues, but tickets would be in very high demand as fans come from all corners of the world to see them. I remember the Arena tour where $1800 got you in the tongue pit. I would expect similar prices for theater shows, with most of the best seats being available only on resale sites for $2000 and up. Having spent most of my 2017 entertainment dollars on Paris 2 and games 6 and 7 of the World Series, I would have to pass. I would buy the Blu ray though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-26 16:50 by drbryant.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: October 26, 2017 17:17

timmyj3
RnR is over and the Stones won. They are the Champs.

Great line! I'm going to steal that smiling smiley

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 26, 2017 17:18

drbryant
They could play small venues, but tickets would be in very high demand as fans come from all corners of the world to see them. I remember the Arena tour where $1800 got you in the tongue pit. I would expect similar prices for theater shows, with most of the best seats being available only on resale sites for $2000 and up. Having spent most of my 2017 entertainment dollars on Paris 2 and games 6 and 7 of the World Series, I would have to pass. I would buy the Blu ray though.

This is always the problem with the "small venues" argument. High demand and limited supply mean that the prices will prohibit all but the wealthiest from getting in, and the wealthiest usually make an older and less enthusiastic audience - which makes for a flat and uninspiring show, however impressive the setlist looks on paper.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 26, 2017 17:26

Green Lady
drbryant

This is always the problem with the "small venues" argument. High demand and limited supply mean that the prices will prohibit all but the wealthiest from getting in, and the wealthiest usually make an older and less enthusiastic audience - which makes for a flat and uninspiring show, however impressive the setlist looks on paper.

True, in both cases. thumbs up

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: October 26, 2017 17:43

matxil

Happy24
The majority has never heard of The Rolling Stones and/or Mozart anyway smiling smiley

matxil, even though I see it differently, I get what you mean of course. Anyway, you wrote that you haven't seen them since 2007 since you didn't like their performance and that you don't like the clips you see on the internet now. We all know that 2007 was not a good year for The Stones. I have seen them in 2007 and then twice in 2014 and twice this year - this month actually. I admit I had a good time even in 2007, but 2014 and 2017 were much better. If you have another chance, do yourself a favour and make yourself go. If they perform like they did just now, you will have much better time than in 2007. I promise smiling smiley

Date: October 26, 2017 18:01

Happy24
matxil

Happy24

matxil, even though I see it differently, I get what you mean of course. Anyway, you wrote that you haven't seen them since 2007 since you didn't like their performance and that you don't like the clips you see on the internet now. We all know that 2007 was not a good year for The Stones. I have seen them in 2007 and then twice in 2014 and twice this year - this month actually. I admit I had a good time even in 2007, but 2014 and 2017 were much better. If you have another chance, do yourself a favour and make yourself go. If they perform like they did just now, you will have much better time than in 2007. I promise smiling smiley

Yes, I am willing to believe you on that. And I was doubting to go, but here, in Barcelona, the prices were about a 100 euros, and even so, you'd only be at the far end of the field. I just decided enough is enough.
I enjoyed 2007 too, because people in Spain are always enthusiastic in concerts and I was there with a good friend, so we jumped and danced and drank. Great time, but really, there are cheaper ways to do all that. Maybe I'm a cheapskate, I don't know.
Or maybe I understood the point of this thread wrongly. I can very well imagine a lot of people still enjoying going to Stones concerts. And if the Stones are happy with that, by all means, why stop? But I mourn the missed opportunities here. Sticking to this formula, that - face it - artistically - offers nothing new, I find a pity.
But fair enough, all the best wishes to people who still enjoy them live.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: October 26, 2017 18:07

I know when I am 75, I will keep doing what I love as long as I can. When you stop, you are kind of saying "I am just hanging around waiting to die." I see no reason why they would stop doing 14-20 shows a year until one of them dies and expect that's what they will do. All the hits in big places. A small commitment with ample time for family, kids, art and horses....and meanwhile their legacy as the greatest, longest running band on earth gets deeper and deeper cemented in history.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-26 18:50 by Woz.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 26, 2017 18:21

exhpart
Nate
People still listen to Mozart and the Stones are equally important so their future is assured people will be listening and talking about them in 500 years

Nate

Massive statement ...but you are right, I think.

Hmmm...possibly, but they will only be a subcategory under the Beatles and the British Invasion. And whatever is talked about or listened to in 500 years(!), it will mainly be the BIG 4 (Beggars, LIB, SF, Exile) when they could do no wrong. Maybe a portion of the Brian era (minus all the covers), and an even smaller smattering of the Ronnie era up to '81. 99% of everything after that is already forgettable, and the fact they barely play any of it live (slipping Away?) shows they don't like most of it either.

Cristiano Radtke
Green Lady
drbryant

True, in both cases. thumbs up

Are we forgetting the Licks tour?

Yes tickets for those small shows were hard to get in '02/'03, but alot of it had to do with luck and good timing. On average I paid as little as $75-$100 face for a few club/'theater shows directly through their website. Not many casual fans were aware of the fanclub membership, presale codes, etc., so a majority of those tickets went to true fans of all ages and all income brackets. It helped that there were stadium and arena shows to divert attention away from the exclusiveness of the small shows. If they announced a theater/club only tour today, it might be a problem as stated above, but if they were to blend a few small shows into the mix of stadiums or arenas everyone would have a fair shake at it. They set the template for that tour, and really wish they would have continued along that same path for all tours that followed - even if it was just a small handful of small shows.

*Speaking of luck and good timing, in the case of the Vredenberg show I was actually on the phone with someone from the official website sorting out an issue with my account and/or one of my memberships when out of the blue the gal on the phone said, "oh by the way Vredenberg tickets go on sale in one minute"!!! eye popping smileysmiling smiley

Woz
I know when I am 75, I will keep doing what I love as long as I can. When you stop, you are kind of saying "I am just hanging around waiting to die." I see know reason why they would stop doing 14-20 shows a year until one of them dies and expect that's what they will do. All the hits in big places. A small commitment with ample time for family, kids, art and horses....and meanwhile their legacy as the greatest, longest running band on earth gets deeper and deeper cemented in history.

Amen. thumbs up

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-26 18:41 by Hairball.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: October 26, 2017 18:59

The way I see it there's no point in going out on a new similar tour next year. No one needs to hear It's Only Rock N Roll, Paint it Black, Satisfaction or Miss You anymore, not even the casual fans.

A new tour consisting of almost exclusively club and theater shows, would really make a nice swan song for the Stones. The setlist don't need an endless amount of surprises, just a few more odd numbers than we're getting now. Also I wouldn't mind if they shortened the set to 15-17 songs. I just want to see the Stones go out doing something slightly more ''artistic'' and inspired than the No Filter tour.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: October 26, 2017 19:05

bv
Bjorn
Retire.

That is the same as saying to your wife "go get lost" because she is getting older and she does look as great as the hot chicks on TV. So while the kids might enjoy their rap music or synth pop or whatever new there is we do still have the one and only STONES.

Co-sign (the Bjornulf part, not the Bjorn part)

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 26, 2017 19:24

They can keep on playing as long as they desire to do it.
They do not have any permission to ask.
As long as the audience is there and happy it is perfectly legitimate.
Only their health can prevent them to still play in 2020...And maybe the feeling that they no longer have the ability to run the show.

After three big show in Paris and even with a new album will they come back in France before 2019 or 2020 ?

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: October 27, 2017 11:14

Woz
I know when I am 75, I will keep doing what I love as long as I can. When you stop, you are kind of saying "I am just hanging around waiting to die." I see no reason why they would stop doing 14-20 shows a year until one of them dies and expect that's what they will do. All the hits in big places. A small commitment with ample time for family, kids, art and horses....and meanwhile their legacy as the greatest, longest running band on earth gets deeper and deeper cemented in history.

I hope when I am 75 whatever it is that I am doing, I will still try to do it in some new and fresh way and not just retracing my steps. And I certainly hope noone will come around and say: "yeah, it's not very good what he does, but come on, he's 75, give him a break".

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: October 27, 2017 12:27

I don't see any club shows tour in the future. I think Mick wanna play stadium and festival in order to reach as much people as possible.
good choice? bad choice?
I don't know, but I believe that the Stones are born to play in front of 80.000 people . small places are for special occasions, prices would be impossible and even more impossible would be to satisfy all the requests.

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: October 27, 2017 12:55

A saturday residency in Las Vegas at Cæsars Palace.
The Colosseum arena is empty since Celine Dion was going back on tour.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 27, 2017 14:40

TooTough
They should take the new power, spirit and flow directly into the studio.
And do holidays after the recording is finished.

Or get locked in that kitchen...where´s Andrew Loog Oldham when you need him??

thumbs up

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 27, 2017 19:08

Massimo68
A saturday residency in Las Vegas at Cæsars Palace.
The Colosseum arena is empty since Celine Dion was going back on tour.

And I will become an old cocktail waitress hag and take up chimney smoking again.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: October 27, 2017 20:20

"I hope when I am 75 whatever it is that I am doing, I will still try to do it in some new and fresh way and not just retracing my steps. And I certainly hope noone will come around and say: "yeah, it's not very good what he does, but come on, he's 75, give him a break"."

Don't worry, Matxil. People who still fill stadiums/festival sites to see the Stones, sometimes paying annoying prices for that, are not claiming what you say. You' re entitled to your opinion of course, as anyone else. But don't tell us that the general impression is somewhere near to your conclusions.

If you had attended just one gig in 2014 and another one in 2017 , you could easily understand that the satisfaction of the audiences has not to do with any kind to "leniency", thanks to the age of band’s members. Crowds are happy because the Stones still put on charming, rocking, powerful shows. The fact that they are 75 does make the whole thing more impressive. But is not their age, itself, the main factor in people’s satisfaction. And don’t ask me “how do you know whether crowds are happy”, because the obvious answer will be: Look, there are maaaaanyy thinks you cannot see, hear, feel and realize by the clips…

So, my friend, I have not idea how you will be at the age of the 75. I wish the best, of course. But if you really think that the majority of the international Press published negative reviews for the performances of the recent tour, I’m afraid that a problem as for your ability to calculate correctly has been already indicated. So, take care, because until the age of 75 things can be worse (just kidding. of course).

By the way, when I visited Barcelona, which “quality newspapers” should I see, so that know their opinions about the excellent show I had attended before? “El Periodico” had a triumphal, enthusiastic front page (“Stones imparables”). “La Vanguardia” wrote something about “espectacular concierto de grandes exitos”. Should I discover any commenter who only loves Beyonce or hip hop, just like the two journalists from Sweden (I just remembered the thread for Stockholm gig)?
Be careful Matxil, maybe you will be a very crotchety old man, before the age of 75…
(Bad kidding No2, I hope you put up with it!).

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 27, 2017 20:58

It's a funny thought that Mick, Keith and I think Charlie have never seen The Rolling Stones perform live.
Ronnie had in the years before he was in the band.
The videos over the years are great but you can't beat the feeling of watching a fave band live.
They will obviously live on in all the videos, DVD's, CD's etc. long ,long , after they call it a day.
Just like all the other stage,screen and music icons before them. smiling smiley

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 28, 2017 01:26

Their current list of priorities are:

1 - Vacations and family time
2 - Stay healthy
3 - Press promo for the On Air set (interviews)
4 - Christmas holidays
5 - Lay down the final list of dates for the UK Tour 2018
6 - Finish the new album
7 - Release the new album

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-28 12:54 by georgelicks.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: October 28, 2017 01:35

Tour the USA one more time and walk away. Make a double album
of all original material and retire. They have the songs to do it.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 28, 2017 03:44

i hope their new record is really good and that they promote it...that would be worth seeing...

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 28, 2017 03:51

georgelicks

2 - Stay healthy
4 - Christmas holidays
6 - Finnish the new album

8: UK tour??

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 28, 2017 08:22

Bjorn
Retire.

a rolling stone gathers no moss...if a rolling stone retires, they stop, and therefore gather moss.

If they retire they are no longer rolling stones, but "stopped" stones, paving stones if you will.

therefore, for these reasons they can never retire, for they are the rolling stones!

head stones is the future, hopefully an incredibly very long time from now.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 28, 2017 08:31

georgelicks

2 - Stay healthy
4 - Christmas holidays

Is the mastering being done in Helsinki?! Didn't Led Zeppelin record In Through The Out Door there?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 28, 2017 08:33

The greatest irony is that you pay $500 and up, when you could have seen them for $5 bucks, when they were good.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: October 28, 2017 08:40

24FPS
The greatest irony is that you pay $500 and up, when you could have seen them for $5 bucks, when they were good.

I paid half of what you write on this tour to be in the first row, face value (235 and 270 Euro). I agree that the prices are insane and I know that one can pay actually even way more, but let's not exagarate it smiling smiley

Posted by: thomas guitar ()
Date: October 28, 2017 11:41

georgelicks

2 - Stay healthy
4 - Christmas holidays

Thats make sense georgelicks ....agree with you

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: October 28, 2017 12:38

Let's be honest and objective here, it's time to call it a day. Schedule a 15 date summer farewell tour for Jun-Aug 2018 giving us an opportunity to goodbye.

JUN 2018: JAPAN (2 DATES)
JUL 2018: SOUTH AMERICA (2 DATES)
JUL 2018: NORTH AMERICA (4 DATES)
AUG 2018: EUROPE (2 DATES)
AUG 2018: UK (5 DATES)

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1831
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home